Pistons @ kings Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
so basically, the talent is there, but we are missing . . . spirit, heart, grit? I HATE THIS!!!

It could be worse, it could be worse, it could be worse.

IT WILL GET BETTER. IT WILL GET BETTER. IT WILL GET BETTER!

Detroit was lucky. If we played better and scored more we would have won :)

I can take this loss much easier than the loss to Hornets. We lost to a better team. Our time will come.... hopefully it comes sometimes this season.

R

R1LOVER

chelle said:
so basically, the talent is there, but we are missing . . . spirit, heart, grit? I HATE THIS!!!

That's true, thank you for pointing out the positive. :)

R1LOVER said:
I can't figure it out either, but if you do the process of elimination..... it leaves Adleman and Petrie and then the Maloof's. Since the Maloofs own the team then take your pick of the other two?

What really gets me is we have changed the whole team, yet we continue to look the same. That clearly points to the style of coaching I assume?

I'm just frustrated and I want to see the kings of old, or just players that will really try to win and not pout.
we look the same, except a whole lot worse. That was pretty ugly. The sad thing is, the team lacked spirit tonight, and so did the fans. My mom's been to every opening game for years and years, and she says she's never seen Arco so quiet... even before we started losing.....

R

R1LOVER

vj9999 said:
Detroit was lucky. If we played better and scored more we would have won :)

I can take this loss much easier than the loss to Hornets. We lost to a better team. Our time will come.... hopefully it comes sometimes this season.
I don't mind a loss, it's when we give up and loose by 20-30 points when it bothers me so much. It's like we just give up and stop trying.

We haven't lost a home opener in 7 years, we are 8 and 0 in our last 8 games at ARCO against the Pistons. You guys, this isn't like any other years. What are we like last in the league in ppg? This is in no way shape or form Kings basketball, unless you wanna look at 10 years ago...:confused:

R

R1LOVER

love_them_kings said:
we look the same, except a whole lot worse. That was pretty ugly. The sad thing is, the team lacked spirit tonight, and so did the fans. My mom's been to every opening game for years and years, and she says she's never seen Arco so quiet... even before we started losing.....
Yes, it's sad when we have 10 minutes remaining and the tv screen shows so many empty seats. That's not the typical kings crowd....... or maybe people are tired of paying increased prices and getting nothing increased in return?

I also noticed last year the croud was not the same as in years past..... but then again neither is the team.

Entity

Hall of Famer
we got some talent. BUT when you have 1 guy and all he can do is shoot and ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING ELSE you tend to have a problem on the nights that guy doesn't shoot well especially when he plays over 30 min. All Peja was, was a body running around out there tonight at some point you have to just bench the guy because he is not contributing any other way.

R

R1LOVER

KP said:
We haven't lost a home opener in 7 years, we are 8 and 0 in our last 8 games at ARCO against the Pistons. You guys, this isn't like any other years. What are we like last in the league in ppg? This is in no way shape or form Kings basketball, unless you wanna look at 10 years ago...:confused:
And we beat Phoenix............ go figure.... :eek:

R1LOVER said:
And we beat Phoenix............ go figure.... :eek:
We got hot and they can't play any defense. If this team is going to have to catch fire to beat anybody we are in serious trouble. WE need to be able to score consistantly, not just when we are out of our minds. Even then we barely won and Phoenix was on the 2nd night of a back to back. If we don't score well against Denver I'm really going to worry, it's not like this team can hang their hat on their defense or rebounding.

OK, I am going to try to have some perspective. We lost to the worst teams last year and beat the worst. We were destroyed by the best and beat the best. We still had an above average reg season.

We started off AWFULLY, regrouped and came back stronger. We can do it again.

Last edited:
chelle said:
OK, I am going to try to have some perspective. We lost to the worst teams last year and beat the worst. We we destroyed by the best and beat the best. We still had an above average reg season.

We started off AWFULLY, regrouped and came back stronger. We can do it again.
I pray you're right, we gotta turn it around. We still have a lot of talent and it is still way early, but I can't help feeling this team is walking a tightrope right now...

chelle said:

I think the team is missing grit. Songaila / Evans -- those are two tough hombres right there.

I'd take Evans at 27 years old over the Kings' two youngsters any day.

You could make the argument Songaila, though less talented physically than Thomas, is the better player off the bench.

And don't get me started about how I'd rather have Eddie House than Hart. I'm serious.

Eddie_the_Eagle said:
I think the team is missing grit. Songaila / Evans -- those are two tough hombres right there.

I'd take Evans at 27 years old over the Kings' two youngsters any day.

You could make the argument Songaila, though less talented physically than Thomas, is the better player off the bench.

And don't get me started about how I'd rather have Eddie House than Hart. I'm serious.
How bout Bobby Jackson, could we use him about now?

R

R1LOVER

You have to point out that SAR was a great pickup though..... Nice to have someone that can work the inside and actually jump and throw a few down when the time is right.

R1LOVER said:
You have to point out that SAR was a great pickup though..... Nice to have someone that can work the inside and actually jump and throw a few down when the time is right.
Sar's def been good, but I think I know what your getting at and I'd rather have that one-legged guy at the 4 right now 2. Seen his numbers so far this year? Having a guy that can hit game winning 3's over T-mac might help us in the heart department.. IMO.

KP said:
How bout Bobby Jackson, could we use him about now?
Good point. I saw the Grizzlies game tonight and Bo-Jax was still looking lively.

But no Jackson would've meant no Bonzi.

I'm also missing Cat. We all know he's a ball hog, but at least he's skilled. If he helps the Clips into the playoffs and the Kings don't make it, I will erupt.

Why do I get the feeling this season will end badly?

Eddie_the_Eagle said:
Good point. I saw the Grizzlies game tonight and Bo-Jax was still looking lively.

But no Jackson would've meant no Bonzi.

I'm also missing Cat. We all know he's a ball hog, but at least he's skilled. If he helps the Clips into the playoffs and the Kings don't make it, I will erupt.

Why do I get the feeling this season will end badly?
I feel your pain and share your concerns, but we got to give these guys a chance... it's still way early. That being said, it doesn't look good, and anyone that tells you otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about.

KP said:
I feel your pain and share your concerns, but we got to give these guys a chance... it's still way early. That being said, it doesn't look good, and anyone that tells you otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about.
You're right, it's just that these guys don't seem to have any fire. I defer to the great Bill Simmons of ESPN and his NBA preview:

"Your eight-man rotation for the Kings this season: Mike Bibby, Peja Stojakovic, Bonzi Wells, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Brad Miller, Kenny Thomas, Morrissey, Trent Reznor.All right, I made the last two up. But from a chemistry standpoint, has there ever been a more depressing team than the Kings? All of these guys carry themselves like Charlie Sheen in "Ferris Bueller" -- you might not see a single smile from a Kings starter this season. (Poor Rick Adelman should just start dressing in all black like Richard Lewis.) Seriously, I like Geoff Petrie, but how could he slap together a nucleus like that without passing out complimentary Prozac during games? I'm depressed just writing about these guys -- instead of warmup jackets in the layup lines, they should wear trench coats. I see these guys playing the part of brooding underachievers for a few months, then Adelman getting fired and being replaced by either Katie Couric or Richard Simmons"

Maybe Simmons is right.

Eddie_the_Eagle said:
You're right, it's just that these guys don't seem to have any fire. I defer to the great Bill Simmons of ESPN and his NBA preview:

"Your eight-man rotation for the Kings this season: Mike Bibby, Peja Stojakovic, Bonzi Wells, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Brad Miller, Kenny Thomas, Morrissey, Trent Reznor.All right, I made the last two up. But from a chemistry standpoint, has there ever been a more depressing team than the Kings? All of these guys carry themselves like Charlie Sheen in "Ferris Bueller" -- you might not see a single smile from a Kings starter this season. (Poor Rick Adelman should just start dressing in all black like Richard Lewis.) Seriously, I like Geoff Petrie, but how could he slap together a nucleus like that without passing out complimentary Prozac during games? I'm depressed just writing about these guys -- instead of warmup jackets in the layup lines, they should wear trench coats. I see these guys playing the part of brooding underachievers for a few months, then Adelman getting fired and being replaced by either Katie Couric or Richard Simmons"

Maybe Simmons is right.
Dam, thats all I can say after tonight, Dam, Dam, Dam, Dam

I missed the entire 3rd quarter. Who was guarding Prince? If it was Peja, that's just plain embarrassing for Peja. Regardless, it's embarrassing for whoever was guarding him. Prince is an NBA player, yes, and a good one at that, but he's not a good offensive player by any stretch of the imagination in the NBA (he was a very good offensive player in college, but that doesn't really count).

4cwebb said:
I missed the entire 3rd quarter. Who was guarding Prince? If it was Peja, that's just plain embarrassing for Peja. Regardless, it's embarrassing for whoever was guarding him. Prince is an NBA player, yes, and a good one at that, but he's not a good offensive player by any stretch of the imagination in the NBA (he was a very good offensive player in college, but that doesn't really count).
Yes Peja was on Prince. Peja looked like he was moving in slo-mo fighting through screens. It was comical, actual.

It's still so early in the season, but the most glaring thing to me is that Kevin Martin is not ready for the role he is expected to fill. Impressing people in the Vegas Summer League and in the preseason are completely different than the real thing. I think that Kevin has a great deal of talent, but for him to be expected to play significant minutes behind Bonzi is too much to ask of him. However, I'm hoping that these continued minutes will help mold him into the player that most think he will become. Remember, Prince, who lit us up tonight, was buried on the Pistons bench prior to their championship run two years ago and the more time he got on the court the more he blossomed. Hopefully that will happen to Martin, but right now I'm not impressed whatsoever.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
^^You're kidding, right?

Peja can't guard air; Miller got pouty over one non-call and became a non-factor; Billups ran Bibby around the court like a chicken without a head; and all you can do is say Martin isn't ready.

At this point, whether or not Kevin Martin is ready (in the fourth game of his second season) is so far down the list of things wrong with this team that I can't even see it on the first page...

Kevin Martin may be talented and he does play with some energy, but I always cringe when I see him come in the game. He's good for at least three or four mistakes, and even when he does make some good plays the ball seems to always juuuust roll off the rim :) I'm not real high on the guy right now and sadly he has no Doug Christie around or another savvy vet to learn from.

Of course, that's just one small nitpick when you consider that Peja can't score, no one can defend and the chemistry on this team is nonexisten.

There's a lot of things wrong with this team, tonight they were exposed pretty well. Of course, Detroit is a better team to begin with anyways.

Ah well, we started out 1-3 last year. Let's see how the Kings respond to it this time around. </vent>

I hate to tell you guys, but this team isn't a lock to go 1-4 and then rebound like the team last year. Those are two entirely different situations.

That team had a chemistry, this at its current state this one doesn't. They show flashes and thats a good thing. Before this team can go along fixing this, or fixing that, they just need some time together. If these problems are still as bad 15-20 games from now you can expect some MAJOR shakeups.

Just as I trust the players, I trust those responsible for putting the product out there. I have 8 years of proof that they will do everything in their power to give the fans what they deserve.

I hate to see the Kings lose as much as you guys, but I am taking more of a wait and see approach.

I don't have a lot to say about last night. One of the few games I just walked away from the TV. No effort, no heart and just disappointing.

Passengers please fasten your seatbelts; the pilot has informed us that we will be experiencing patches of turbulence throughout the season.

Diabeticwonder said:
It's still so early in the season, but the most glaring thing to me is that Kevin Martin is not ready for the role he is expected to fill.
There are two things that REALLY concern me at this point. The lack of heart and effort. Shooting comes and goes but there is NO excuse for getting beat on transition D like that....NONE! The team just played with NO pride or passion!!

The second issue is the bench production or lack thereof. Remember the bench mob?? Sometimes you need an infusion of energy from the bench. Where is that going to come from? Thomas clearly is not liking his role(at least at this point), Hart is primarily a defender, ditto for Skinner and Martin is unproven.

The way I see it(putting on junior GM cap) the front office will give this group 20-25 games to see if things come together. Kings have 13 out of the next 15 at home. That stretch includes some very "winnable" games. If there is not VAST improvement at the end of that stretch I would not be surprised to see a coaching change or a trade(s).

I happen to think the team will turn things around and perform at a fairly high level. There's just too much talent on that team to play like crap for more than 10 or 15 games. It's not a championship team but I think they can much better than what we've seen so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.