Pistons @ Kings Game Thread 11/14/2010

piksi

Hall of Famer
In a league where only Hornets have a perfect record, Kings started their first 4 game losing streak by losing the 11th game in a row in Phoenix. Kings are still .500 on the road but they are not playing well. In the NBA there is always an opportunity to change that and it keeps coming almost every other night. Kings will have a 4 game home stand including Pistons, Knicks, Nets and Hornets to wake up and start playing.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have expectations based on values that aren't really true, you will end up being disappointed. If you expect Kings to make a jump to quickly, you are asking for too much and it isn't going to happen. Kings are still young, still not talented enough to be a winning team, still ton far away to be consistent. They definitely can play better and they need to but that "better" won't be good enough for much.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Evans isn't rookie and won't surprise anyone anymore. Basically, opponents throw everything at him and he can only be effective if his teammates do something to help him. If they don't he will struggle. Defensive strategy of the opponent is very simple. Make Evans give it up, wait till someone else shoots the three, get a rebound and lay it up on the other side. Works like a charm. Other guys need to do more so that Evans is enabled to do more. Simple as that.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When Cousins was drafter, everyone knew that he is coming with a baggage. That includes Kings organization. They have taken steps in preventing trouble, they are dealing with it now too. There is really no point making an elephant out of a fly. It is not like he has a max contract. He is a rookie and he has to mature and prove himself. It would help if we had a veteran mentor player to guide him but we don't. If he doesn't work out in the next couple of years it won't be hard to get rid of him.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You have got to love Steve Nash. he is 47 years old and he is still a sensational basketball player. He took us apart last night and he exposed all weaknesses that we have and those are many. He controlled the game at all times. Everyone knows what he does and how he does it and rarely someones stops him. Ans Steve Nash isn't strong, he can't jump high. He isn't even the fastest. Athletically speaking he is an average. In order to compensate such handicap in this brutal league you have to be a genius otherwise.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kings are an awful shooting team but that doesn't stop them to keep taking bad shots. A decade ago Kings were a great shooting team and didn't take that many threes. Shot selection has been pathetic this season. i absolutely hate to see someone (Casspi) shoot a three with 21 second on the clock after an offensive rebound. That is just dumb. Gamblers mentality doesn't pay off in this league. You can win a game or two but against proper offense execution, you will be beaten 99% of the time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coaching hasn't been great so far. I would like to believe that there is a plan behind all of this but honestly, if there is one - I don't see it. I don't know what is going on and what are criteria for getting playing time but it looks to me like we are starting over each and every game. We lack consistency in all areas od the game. Can't PW just pick 8-9 guys and go with them for better or worse for 10-15 games and then evaluate ?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11 straight loss in Phoenix was never in doubt. We hung around but never really threatened. We couldn't even win a quarter. Suns needed an opponent to build confidence and they did. We executed too horrible to win this game. Took bad shots and missed them, missed FTs. Good rebounding and limited turnovers weren't enough. Suns shot over 50% mostly because we didn't mind much.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
match ups

Landry vs ghost of Kenny Thomas - who is more useless
- Carl did some good stuff but it was useless

Udrih va Dragic - battle of Slovenians
- stats favor Udrih but impressions favor Dragic

Channing Frye vs Michael Beasley - just a hunch
- Frye was decent but he wasn't Warrick
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AWARD TIME

TDM - Hakeem "the dream" Warrick

LW-VC - Jarred "Chris" Dudley

JHA - Darnel "every shot as good shot" Jackson

MIKKI - darnel "I was due" Jackson

SAR- Grant " I am still in the NBA" Hill

RA&1 - Antoine " I showed what Ican" Wright

Jax/Walk - Omri " oceans used to be larger" Casspi

WTF moment of the game - random collisions of Kings players while tryin to keep the ball in play.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pistons aren't any good but we already know that. They did beat the Clippers. Kings still own us a proper home game and this is a good opportunity. In a way - we are due. TMac plays there ??? Recipe to win this is simple. Make FTs, take care of the ball and play hard and together. When in doubt - foul Ben Wallace.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
match ups

Omri vs bad shots - can he keep the streak going

Kings bench vs 20+ points - It would be nice

vollanueva vs Warrick - expect the expected
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Evans - needs help

Beno - decent

Omri - pass the ball from time to time

Landry - king of the garbage time

Dalambert - jumper looks ugly

Cousins - stay in the game

Cisco - frustrating

Jackson - sad

rest - mateen
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pistons are 3-6 and 1-4 on the road but they did beat Clippers. Currently on a 4 game West coast trip, they probably see this game as winable. They have a mixture between useless veterans, overrated players in their primes and some young kids. Basically a bad team. They still can beat us. Expect Daye to get TDM, Hamillton to het the LW-VC and Kings to finally play well at home.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Our team is so unpredictable. I'm going to stay on the safe side and say we lose this one if Westphal keeps up his rotations.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I would not be surprised at all if we lose this one. They have enough scorers that can light us up in Gordon/Villanueva/Hamilton. One of them is going to have a big game and if none of them, there is always Tayshaun. Were not going to stop anybody, so if we want to stay in this, keep scoring.

This is a big game. Pistons arent good. We really need to stop the bleeding tonight .. Get some positive stories out there. This has been a bad few days with the Cousins articles that have been popping up. We need to improve the image of this team and a win is a good step in the right direction.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Remember last year how Westphail played JT at the 3 vs the Pistons? (this was the very first instance of putting JT at the 3), I think Prince went on to torch the Kings that game if I remember correctly

Hopefully we do not see more of that