Pippen expected to retire Tuesday

http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-bull042.html

Scottie Pippen will not be at the Berto Center today when the Bulls officially open training camp with media day. The 17-year veteran, who led the Bulls to six NBA championships, is expected to announce his retirement Tuesday.

Pippen, 39, has one year worth $5 million left on the two-year deal he signed last year. The seven-time All-Star previously told the Chicago Sun-Times he will not waive that salary, forcing the Bulls to buy out the final year and take a salary-cap hit. Pippen's retirement opens a roster spot, making it easier for operations chief John Paxson to trim a 20-man roster to 15.

Veteran power forward Gary Trent signed a one-year, non-guaranteed contract on Friday while Kendall Gill will use his unrestricted free agency to try to sign with a contender or retire. Third-year forward Chris Jefferies will be traded or waived.

Since the Bulls aren't planning a news conference Tuesday, Pippen simply may retire through a press release or by scheduling his own news conference. The Bulls also aren't expected to retain Pippen in any front-office capacity. But they plan to retire his jersey this season at a time to be announced. Injuries limited Pippen to playing just 23 games last season. ''He was holding out on announcing his retirement because he was hoping to get a chance to end his career coming off the bench for a contender,'' a close friend said. ''He feels he can still contribute playing limited minutes on a better team that would not need him to play as much. But since nobody else has expressed interest, he's going to call it quits.''

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Wow, hot on the heels of the announcement of Todd MaCullough's retirement last week...we're losing all the great ones. ;)

its bogus that he's not gonna waive the final year of the salary. he sucked last year big time, didn't do what he was supposed to do, and now he's going to force a struggling franchise who are low on money already to pay him money when he's not going to even play? low...

#1sacfan

Bricklayer said:
Wow, hot on the heels of the announcement of Todd MaCullough's retirement last week...we're losing all the great ones. ;)
Pippen 6 titles, entire Kings team 0 titles.

So long Scottie, your fans will miss you and the way you played the game, the right way.

#1sacfan said:
Pippen 6 titles, entire Kings team 0 titles.

So long Scottie, your fans will miss you and the way you played the game, the right way.
Yeah, just the best guy any team would want, one of those who makes the team go all the way without demanding too much attention. Will be missed and will be remembered as one of the greatest player and a gentleman.

he was a great player no doubt. once he had overcome his dubious "migraine attacks", he attained his potential and became mr. watson to air holmes. his squashing a ball on the glass high above the rim is one of the best blocks i have seen my whole life.
that said, for me his career was over when he left the blazers.

twocents said:
he was a great player no doubt. once he had overcome his dubious "migraine attacks", he attained his potential and became mr. watson to air holmes. his squashing a ball on the glass high above the rim is one of the best blocks i have seen my whole life.
that said, for me his career was over when he left the blazers.
Pippen's career was over when Jordan retired for the second time.

G

Garliguy

One of the best players of all time, no question.

But I will never forget that in the final seconds of 1994 playoff game against the New York Knicks, when his team needed him most, Pippen was so bent that Phil Jackson called the last play for Toni Kukoc, he refused to enter the game. (Kukoc hit the game-winner.)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Something vaguely surreal about the news lineup on Yahoo 30 minutes ago:

[size=-1] [/size][size=-1]Allawi says peace deal reached with al-Sadr [/size]
[size=-1] [/size][size=-1]Kerry: Cheney should admit Iraq mistakes[/size]
[size=-1] [/size][size=-1]Israeli airstrike kills Islamic Jihad chief[/size]
[size=-1] [/size][size=-1]Rumsfeld says misunderstood on Iraq-Qaida[/size]
[size=-1] [/size][size=-1]Officials warn of major flu vaccine shortage[/size]
[size=-1] [/size][size=-1]Krispy Kreme to close plant on oversupply [/size]
[size=-1] [/size][size=-1]Bulls' Pippen to retire after 17 seasons[/size]

Let's see...war, politics, death, war, sickness... Krispy Kremes & basketball!

Took 'em a while, but glad they finally got around to something important. :p

Last edited:
does this mean the line, "Beam me up Scottie" also get retired? ;)

seriously, he's one of the best & toughest to have ever played the game.

bibbyweb said:
Yeah, just the best guy any team would want, one of those who makes the team go all the way without demanding too much attention.
Scottie is an attention ho supreme. Ask Kukoc and the Houston Rockets.

Ryan@CU said:
I don't know about that one, I can't remember any NBA player that ever liked him. He's a little punk and I'm kind of glad he's gone. Sorry.
a little harsh don't ya think. did anyone read the story on him at espn.com?

BJax24 said:
a little harsh don't ya think. did anyone read the story on him at espn.com?
I don't find it harsh if we're talking about his personality on the court. He was an instigator and trash talker for a long time and he was unabashedly cocky, similar to Reggie Miller. It's surprising that some fans have forgotten.