Phil Jackson new Lakers coach!

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
For those that missed it, during the game he said that his 3 year deal IS NOT intended to get the Lakers back into a Finals, just to get the team "competitive" again. That is a hell of a lot of $$$ just to get a team to be "competitive".

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Ah, but imagine what his next deal will be if he does the deed. Besides, he's being humble...leaving wiggle room.

I am fascinated beyond anything I would have anticipated over this. There is gonna be so much drama coming out of LA - and I admit to an insatiable curiosity to see whether or not Obi Wan Phil can actually rebuild the team AND whether or not Kobe will be a part of it. This really IS better than a lot of the reality shows. It's still not Survivor or Big Brother, though - YET. Imagine if tribal council meets and votes Kobe off the island?

This is good stuff!!!

T

thesanityannex

Tribal Council Speaking, "And the next person to leave Laker Island is.......Kobe. Kobe, please extinguish your torch and leave immediately"

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bibby_Is_Clutch said:
Anyone just hear what Shaq said about this on ESPNews? He said that Phil would have been smarter had he taken the Kings head coaching job and had the opportunity to work with Bibby, Miller and Peja. At least hes on our side, and maybe he was right. He could just be saying that because he doesnt want his friend and coach Phil close to his enemy Kobe.

VF21 takes a moment to think: Hmmm, do I give a rat's patoot about Shaq saying Phil Jackson should have come to Sacramento?...

VF21 realizes she not only doesn't give a rat's patoot what that personage has to say about ANYTHING, the idea of him being "on our side" is ludicrous, especially since "our side" apparently differs from person to person...

Sorry, BIC, but not everyone was excited about the proposition of having the Zen Master in Sacramento. He just signed for $50 million. He was playing a game - forcing Buss to kick with even more bucks than originally rumored. There was never any real chance/threat of PJ coming to Sacramento. IMHO he used the gullibility of the Maloofs to strengthen his bargaining position with Dr. Buss.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
thesanityannex said:
Tribal Council Speaking, "And the next person to leave Laker Island is.......Kobe. Kobe, please extinguish your torch and leave immediately"
::6th stands and applauds the vote of the Tribal Council::

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!! :D

VF21 said:
VF21 takes a moment to think: Hmmm, do I give a rat's patoot about Shaq saying Phil Jackson should have come to Sacramento?...

VF21 realizes she not only doesn't give a rat's patoot what that personage has to say about ANYTHING, the idea of him being "on our side" is ludicrous, especially since "our side" apparently differs from person to person...

Sorry, BIC, but not everyone was excited about the proposition of having the Zen Master in Sacramento. He just signed for $50 million. He was playing a game - forcing Buss to kick with even more bucks than originally rumored. There was never any real chance/threat of PJ coming to Sacramento. IMHO he used the gullibility of the Maloofs to strengthen his bargaining position with Dr. Buss.
I agree with you there. Plus, like sanity said, the man who refered to us as Queens was just talking out of his patoot, as you like to say. :p

I really doubt that Phil ever considered Sacramento. First they would have to pay him a lot of money, give him part ownership and give up someones daughter for him to date. :)

thesanityannex said:
At least give him a year with the Zen Master. Then his torch can be extinguished.

AriesMar27 said:
damn it... i live in los angeles... i dont want to see this happen... the clippers were just starting to become a decent team.... they could be the west coast baby bulls next season.... but now since phil is back the lakers will probably be better than the clippers..... damn it....
Clippers will never be a decent team, even with good players. Losing is in their culture.

ONEZERO said:
I've also heard from a sporstcaster named lee "hacksaw" hamilton that the lakers have a plan to ship caron butler, lamar odom, and the 10th pick for guess who. KEVIN GARNETT. If this happens, just have the burial ground ready for me, cause I will commit suicide.
Rule No. 1: Don't listen to Hacksaw. He's a legend of cretosistupitude.

VF21 said:
Put away the razor blades. That proposal doesn't even come CLOSE to matching money-wise.

Uh oh. Bad news. Add Vlade's expiring contract to the mix and the trade is accepted per realGM.

Although I can't really see the TWolves letting it happen for Butler, Odom and Vlade...
I can't see the T'Wolves doing it for anyone, but Vlade won't be retained in ANY trade. He's a 3 million dollar rebate. Team cuts him and they get 3 mill off the books.

funkykingston said:
That same basic trade was made for Shaq and was roundly considered lopsided in the Heat's favor. And that's considering that Shaq is on the downside of his career, was (is) asking for a two year extension for around $60 million dollar extension, and was dictating where he would go after demanding a trade.

KG is in his prime and hasn't demanded to be dealt. If the T'Wolves even considered such a deal the entire front office should lose their jobs tomorrow.
There you go. Frankenstein won't do it. They'll stay in mediocrity till the cows come home before they trade him for anything less than a youthful superstar and good complimentary pieces, including a high draft pick or two. Garnett will really have to burn bridges to make his way out. At least...that's the logical viewpoint.

Last edited:
Bibby_Is_Clutch said:
Anyone just hear what Shaq said about this on ESPNews? He said that Phil would have been smarter had he taken the Kings head coaching job and had the opportunity to work with Bibby, Miller and Peja. At least hes on our side, and maybe he was right. He could just be saying that because he doesnt want his friend and coach Phil close to his enemy Kobe.
He IS saying that for the last reason you listed. Shaq's big ol childlike feelings are hurt that he was the odd man out of the triad, bet on it.

From Lionel The Laker at LGnet:

(He knows someone who knows something, our resident Nostradamus. He broke the Phil-will-sign story in April.)

Ok here we go.......... Around the end of December it became clear that Rudy T was suffering severe burnout. Feelers were put out to the agent of Phillip (Tod Musberger) around this time. Phillip was very bored and had decided around middle of Dec. that he wanted to coach in the NBA again. He and Jeanie discussed this. When Rudy T quit things really started to heat up between the Lakers and Phillip. He thought about taking over the Lakers soon after Rudy quit but decided against it out of loyalty to Hamblen. Despite what Phil says publicly he feels this Lakers team has a chance to be the New Bulls 91-93 version. They have a blueprint all planned and ready to go and have roster moves already in mind. Now back to the story..... Phillp calls Kobe to see where his mind is. Kobe tells him that the media is killing him and "People run their mouth too much" This is when Rick Bucher said that Phillip and Kobe would meet. Kobe relayed the message to Phillip and was like "see how is this stuff getting out who is talking?" From that point on the Lakers completely shut off the media. Anybody caught leaking stuff would be punished. The deal has been done since late April. Both sides agreed officially on a contract and both sides were happy. Phillip and Mitchell meet and agree to what Kind of team they wanna build around Kobe with Long athletes who can defend. Everything is smooth sailing and the Lakers brass meet after Phillip and Kobe talk again. They discuss the soap opera aspect and people runnin there mouths causing static in the media ect. Neither Kobe, Phillip or anybody in the Laker org. want that stuff to happen again. This is where it gets funny. Emplay, daocho, Peter V. were right when they said a source from SFX was saying Phillip won't be coach and Kobe is trying to stop it. I would have fell for it also if the source I had wasn't actually in the room when Phillip and Buss agreed to a deal. This story was falsely planted to catch a mole or find out who has a Big Mouth. It worked. You know how you tell one person a rumor and by the time it gets around its a whole different story? Thats what happened. Now there you have it.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It has a ring of truth to it... and it really makes the Maloofs look pretty pathetic if they were calling Musberger.

...sigh...

Well, at least I have a face to put on the voodoo doll.

:D

Who read Phil Jackson's "The Last Season"? If all you've seen are the ESPN excerpts, you're getting a highly warped and inaccurate picture. If you're at all interested in this book and want to know what the real story is (and since most of you are Kings fans, I highly doubt it ;)), I suggest you purchase the book.

Fact of the matter is that Phil didn't want to stay another year. He says in "The Last Season" that he'd only stay if he was offered $12M per, which he said was basically his way of telling Buss I'm bluffing and you'll have to empty out your checking account to keep me another season. Jackson himself says he needed the year off, remember he went on a several month long vacation earlier in the year and the dude is 60 years old after all.

Shaq wasn't coming back whether Kobe gave the Lakers the OK or not; dude didn't have any respect for the organization (Kupchak especially, and Buss is very tight with Kupchak), and of course Shaq never worked out or asked for a reasonable extension (MAX or death). Fact of the matter is, and I know people hate to believe it, but Kobe had very little to do with the breakup. Phil Jackson being hired as Lakers head coach again is simply one of the many events that points to Kobe's impact being minimal. Kobe reneging on a verbal agreement with the Clippers hours before announcing he would resign with the Lakers, and all that after Shaq had already been traded, just further suggests to me that the biggest reason this dynasty ended was the Big Ingrate, aka Snaquille O'Meal.

Jackson Reconciles With Lakers, Will Return as Coach
Reunites With Bryant After Calling Team's Top Star 'Uncoachable'
By JOHN NADEL, AP Sports

LOS ANGELES (June 14) - Phil and Kobe, together again.

Phil Jackson is back with the Los Angeles Lakers following a breakup that took a year to mend, and back to coaching Kobe Bryant - a player he once called "uncoachable."

"This is something I never thought could possibly happen," Jackson said Tuesday at a Staples Center news conference. "It's a pleasure to come back."

Jackson, who won three championships with the Lakers in five years, was let go last June 18 by owner Jerry Buss - three days after the team lost to Detroit in the NBA Finals.

The buzz about Jackson's possible return began almost immediately after his replacement, Rudy Tomjanovich, left in February, despite Jackson's book detailing the 2003-04 season in which he made disparaging remarks about the franchise.

Bryant was at the top of that list.

"I think it's a matter of trust, a matter of rebuilding the trust that we had," Jackson said of his relationship with Bryant. "And yes, I have talked to Kobe; he actually called me this morning to congratulate me on the job. And I felt confident that he's confident that we can go forward."

Bryant's reaction to a possible return by Jackson seemed lukewarm at best during the past several months. But Bryant released a more positive statement through his agent Tuesday.

"When the Lakers began the search for a new head coach, I put my complete trust in Dr. Buss and (general manager) Mitch Kupchak to select the person they thought was best for the Lakers' organization," Bryant said. "In Phil Jackson, they chose a proven winner. That is something I support."

Jackson's latest deal is for three years. Terms were not announced, but it's believed he'll be earning between $7 million and $10 million per year, making him the highest-paid NBA coach ever - a fact confirmed by Kupchak.

Kupchak said other potential coaches were contacted to gauge their interest.

"Roy Williams turned us down for the third time," Kupchak said of his attempts to talk with the North Carolina coach. "That's a Los Angeles record."

But the Lakers' only offer went to Jackson, Kupchak said, with the deal being finalized early Tuesday.

"I can see how thrilled he is to be back," said Todd Musburger, Jackson's agent. "It was the right decision. In the end, it came down to returning to the Lakers or taking another year off. And here we are."

Jackson said he's been approached over the last three weeks by fans and non-fans asking him when he was coming back.

"One of the reasons why I've returned is the support has been so tremendous in this city," he said. "It is a town that truly supports its team and has a tremendous amount of affection for it."

Jeanie Buss, the owner's daughter and the Lakers' executive vice president of business operations, publicly lobbied for months for the return of Jackson, her longtime boyfriend.

She got her wish.

"We're very pleased to have Phil return to the Lakers as our head coach," Jerry Buss said in a statement. "His record speaks for itself and his success in this sport is unparalleled. Quite simply, Phil is the best coach in the business and probably the greatest coach of all time."

Jackson, who turns 60 in September, has had health issues in the past and underwent an angioplasty two years ago. He told ABC-TV before the opening game of the NBA Finals that he had a series of tests showing he was "100 percent healthy."

Jackson's dismissal last year set in motion a makeover of massive proportions that proved disastrous for the Lakers. Dominant big man Shaquille O'Neal demanded a trade and superstar Bryant opted out of his contract to become a free agent the same day Jackson's five-year run as coach ended.

The following month, O'Neal was traded to Miami while Bryant stayed with the Lakers.

Tomjanovich succeeded Jackson, signing a five-year, $30 million contract, but lasted barely half a season, citing health reasons when he suddenly resigned Feb. 2.

With injuries playing a major role, the Lakers lost 19 of their last 21 games under interim coach Frank Hamblen to finish 34-48 and out of the playoffs for just the second time since 1976.

Jackson, who has never posted a losing record, has coached nine NBA championship teams - six with the Chicago Bulls and in his first three years with the Lakers - from 2000-2002. That ties him with former Boston Celtics coach Red Auerbach for the most in league history.

Jackson also has a record 175 postseason victories and is tied for 10th on the NBA's career list with 832 wins in just 14 seasons - nine with the Bulls and five with the Lakers. He has a .725 regular-season winning percentage and a .717 postseason winning percentage.

The Lakers were 287-123 in the regular season and 64-28 in the postseason under Jackson. But this figures to be his biggest challenge because the current team doesn't appear to have what it takes to return to elite status any time soon.

The Lakers are well over the salary cap, restricting their ability to bring in high-priced free-agent talent for at least two years. Their defense was abysmal last season; they had an unbalanced roster with too many small forwards; they had virtually no inside presence; and they were suspect at point guard.

"I'm not the panacea for this basketball club," Jackson said. "It's going to take plenty of hard work and dedication over the course of the summer to change the face of this team."

Jackson said winning a 10th championship is not a priority and didn't sound like he expected that in the next three years.

"I would be most amazed if at the end of the third year we had an opportunity to do that," he said.

"He said the same thing the first time we hired him. I hope the same thing unfolds," Kupchak said.

Jackson spoke to several other teams, including the New York Knicks. His decision to rejoin the Lakers should speed up the process of filling other job openings around the league. There are coaching vacancies in Minnesota and Portland, and Seattle coach Nate McMillan's contract expires at the end of this month.

06/14/05 23:01 EDT
http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/sports/article.adp?id=20050614132409990010

KA_2 said:
Who read Phil Jackson's "The Last Season"? If all you've seen are the ESPN excerpts, you're getting a highly warped and inaccurate picture. If you're at all interested in this book and want to know what the real story is (and since most of you are Kings fans, I highly doubt it ;)), I suggest you purchase the book.

Fact of the matter is that Phil didn't want to stay another year. He says in "The Last Season" that he'd only stay if he was offered $12M per, which he said was basically his way of telling Buss I'm bluffing and you'll have to empty out your checking account to keep me another season. Jackson himself says he needed the year off, remember he went on a several month long vacation earlier in the year and the dude is 60 years old after all.

Shaq wasn't coming back whether Kobe gave the Lakers the OK or not; dude didn't have any respect for the organization (Kupchak especially, and Buss is very tight with Kupchak), and of course Shaq never worked out or asked for a reasonable extension (MAX or death). Fact of the matter is, and I know people hate to believe it, but Kobe had very little to do with the breakup. Phil Jackson being hired as Lakers head coach again is simply one of the many events that points to Kobe's impact being minimal. Kobe reneging on a verbal agreement with the Clippers hours before announcing he would resign with the Lakers, and all that after Shaq had already been traded, just further suggests to me that the biggest reason this dynasty ended was the Big Ingrate, aka Snaquille O'Meal.
This, of course, is the spin that every Laker fan believes. Yet, the entire NBA and the rest of the free world knows the real reason why Jackson and Shaq were not brought back last year.......

Ryle said:
This, of course, is the spin that every Laker fan believes. Yet, the entire NBA and the rest of the free world knows the real reason why Jackson and Shaq were not brought back last year.......
Phil made that comment about pricing himself out of Buss' willing reach on camera.

Baylor told the story of Kobe backing out of a deal at the zero hour on the McDonnell Douglas drive time LA sports radio show.

I think the mere fact that Kobe would've split if Shaq was retained had a lot to do with the trade, but also was the mere fact that Buss offered him a lowered dollar amount. Shaq has said repeatedly in LA that he wouldn't "take no paycut". It was at THAT point, without regard to Kobe, without regard to Phil, when Shaq demanded to be traded.

None of that is spin, Ryle.

I can't believe after all that went on, Kobe and Phil are going to kiss and make up that quickly. I heard what Kobe "said" and I think that was just PR. I doubt he's really happy that Phil is back. He knows he can't push Phil around. I think the only reason Phil came back is to win #10 and beat Red. That s*** about not winning a championship, come on, this is Phil. He wants the best record not tied. I'm taking what everyone says with a grain of salt."As the Lakers Turn" continues next season with brand new episodes.

T

thesanityannex

Gargamel said:
He IS saying that for the last reason you listed. Shaq's big ol childlike feelings are hurt that he was the odd man out of the triad, bet on it.
I highly doubt his feelings were hurt. I think he's laughing inside and just as eager as the rest of us to see this sorry mess unfold. He must be hurt inside, he just made it to the conference finals after leaving his team, poor guy.

thesanityannex said:
I highly doubt his feelings were hurt. I think he's laughing inside and just as eager as the rest of us to see this sorry mess unfold. He must be hurt inside, he just made it to the conference finals after leaving his team, poor guy.
Shaq is not in Miami to get them to the conf finals. He's won his last title in LA with "what's his name".

Here's Shaq "laughing inside" as you put it:

Warhawk

Staff member
loopymitch said:
I heard what Kobe "said" and I think that was just PR. I doubt he's really happy that Phil is back.
You notice he never endorsed Phil - he endorsed bringing in a winning coach....

Reread it carefully:

"In Phil Jackson, they chose a proven winner. That is something I support."

Ryle said:
Actually no, these are the facts naive fans (you) don't know about because you never read Jackson's book and certainly never followed the Laker saga. Not surprising though, you are a Kings fan after all.

Warhawk

Staff member
KA_2 said:
Actually no, these are the facts naive fans (you) don't know about because you never read Jackson's book and certainly never followed the Laker saga. Not surprising though, you are a Kings fan after all.
Well, it is funny that so far neither has said anything positive about the other except "I think we can work together". Not exactly the ringing endorsement of two egomaniacs eager to work together after all the bad blood between them....

I, for one, have no desire to pay my hard-earned $$$ into Phil's pocket, no matter how much I would like to read it (and there really isn't a reason I want to).

This may also come as a surprise to you, but we don't like drama, we like entertaining basketball (you know, Kings style). You want drama? Turn on a soap....

Warhawk said:
Well, it is funny that so far neither has said anything positive about the other except "I think we can work together".
So far Phil has compared Kobe to Jordan.

He has said Kobe will be even better without Shaq.

He has said Kobe is the best floor player in the game, better than Shaq, Duncan, etc... but there size gives them more impact.

Kobe called Phil the morning he was hired to give him congrats and they talked awhile about players roles etc..

But yeah.....they hate each other.