Phil Jackson new Lakers coach!

Warhawk said:
How exactly has he shown maturity? By his interactions with his teammates? Not exactly:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7321241/
A rift between Kobe Bryant and Chucky Atkins isn’t exactly like Lennon and McCartney going their separate ways. But it’s just the latest in a series of signs that the club is not responding to Bryant’s leadership.

Lamar Odom has not seemed comfortable playing with Bryant all season. Rudy Tomjanovich lasted half a season as head coach, and although it’s unfair to blame Bryant for his sudden departure, rumors remain that the strain of dealing with the strong-willed superstar had a negative effect on Rudy T’s well-being. Interim coach Frank Hamblen declared after a loss last week in Denver that his players had quit on him.

Then there’s the little matter of the team’s record. Bryant has been getting his shots and then some, but the rest of the Lakers seem aimless. Defensively, they resemble blind men in heavy traffic. Under Bryant’s stewardship the Lakers are now 33-37, in 10th place in the West, 5 1/2 games behind the Denver Nuggets for the eighth and final playoff berth.

These 2004-05 Lakers have had a taste of what the future holds with Kobe in control, and they don’t seem to like it much. If the franchise insists on building around Kobe, it will have to clean house again, because this entourage has packed it in.

Shaq's work ethic may have left something to be desired, but Kobe's selfish, stupid, and self-destructive actions hurt the team a lot more than Shaq's ever did.

I am not wishing well or ill, I am just commenting on the public statements of those involved. Very acrimonious things were said between these two and Kobe's actions often reflected his lack of respect for the coach and the team (refusing to do as Phil asked in practices, etc.). You seem to think everything is hunky-dory all of a sudden, when NOTHING is there to indicate that, other than these two saying words to the effect of "I think we might be able to work it out and move forward".

Again, as I said, not exactly a ringing endorsement....
You're reading too much into it. Phil Jackson also said he's the best player in basketball, and that any team with Kobe Bryant can win a championship. Is that not a ringing endorsement?

Kings fans of all people should know how stupid the sports media is nowadays. Kings have Poison Voisin, Lakers have, well, everyone at the Los Angeles Times. It shouldn't come as a shock to you that the media doesn't have a clue.

Your best bet is to form opinions based on things you see (TV) and read from reliable sources (i.e. not Peter Vescey). Want an unbiased opinion on Webber? Don't read Voisin, read something from, say, Hubie Brown. Want an unbiased opinion on Kobe Bryant? Don't read Tim Brown, read Roland Lazenby. See what I mean?

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
KA_2 said:
You're reading too much into it. Phil Jackson also said he's the best player in basketball, and that any team with Kobe Bryant can win a championship. Is that not a ringing endorsement?

Kings fans of all people should know how stupid the sports media is nowadays. Kings have Poison Voisin, Lakers have, well, everyone at the Los Angeles Times. It shouldn't come as a shock to you that the media doesn't have a clue.

Your best bet is to form opinions based on things you see (TV) and read from reliable sources (i.e. not Peter Vescey). Want an unbiased opinion on Webber? Don't read Voisin, read something from, say, Hubie Brown. Want an unbiased opinion on Kobe Bryant? Don't read Tim Brown, read Roland Lazenby. See what I mean?
I don't think you understand the difference between appreciating someone's talents (which Kobe has an abundance of) and critically looking at someone's effect on a TEAM. Lakers management effectively chose Kobe over Shaq and Phil - Kobe wanted his "own" team. Look where that got them. Kobes actions - including his fun in Colorado - indicates Kobe is all about Kobe. His wife, his team, his reputation, everything else comes second.

The article quoted was one of MANY - didn't realize you were that pickey - fact remains that Chucky finally said what everyone else already knew: Kobe was trying to run the team, including having apparent veto rights on the coaching staff at the beginning of the season.

The facts are there, open your eyes.

Nowhere have I said anything about the Lakers chances this year. In fact with Phil running the show (if Kobe finally decides to listen and playhis way), their prospects are better. Depending on the off season, They may be a pretty strong team this year, maybe better than the Kings. We'll have to see what happens....

KA_2 said:
I don't really understand what your point is. Jackson is now the head coach of the Lakers. If Kobe kicked him out last summer, why did Jackson come back, and why didn't Kobe demand the Lakers to not bring him back? Or why not demand a trade? The fact that Jackson is coaching the Lakers is pretty much the most solid proof anyone needs to realize Kobe had nothing to do with Jackson's departure last summer. His book explains this fact quite thoroughly. You said you didn't read Jackson's book, but that's a big deal, as he explained pretty much what happened last year. And what happened is that he got burned out and tired of coaching, he needed time off. Remember, Jackson could have coached anywhere for the same money he's getting in LA. Why pick LA if Kobe kicked him out? Because Kobe never kicked him out.

But don't tell Ryle.
My point is simple: Kobe had a bigger hand in the break up than what some fans would like us to believe. Why is Phil back? There are numerous and plausible reasons why he's back. For one it's probably some kind of ego inflating/ego deflating situation for both sides. You can decide which belongs to whom. Kobe might be content with the situation now, but he doesn't seem too enthusiastic about it. A former coach who helped you win rings, and yet there was little to no enthusiasm for his return. At best they had a tension filled working relationship, at worst Kobe was fed up with Phil and didn’t endorse him thus the organization had to make a choice between the two.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
KA_2 said:

This may well be the last time you and I agree on anything for a while... ;)

I don't know what the future will bring to either of our teams, but I'm glad Jackson is back in LA. Yes, those words might well come back to haunt me but as it stands now, I think Jackson's hiring might actually put some fear into the hearts of the Kings organization and become a motivating factor to build as strong a team as humanly possible here...

:D

funkykingston said:
I'm going by Jackson's own words when he said that Kobe was immature and uncoachable and that he refused to return if Kobe was back the next year. He also tried to trade Kobe for Marion.

These aren't musings of a beat reporter, this is what Jackson said himself.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree and let the results dictate what we talk about in the future regarding this. It's clear, this board hopes that the Lakers fail, and that's why the negative view. Time will tell. One thing I know - the Lakers have a history of winning and history has a way of repeating itself.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Lamar_Odom said:
It's clear, this board hopes that the Lakers fail, and that's why the negative view. Time will tell. One thing I know - the Lakers have a history of winning and history has a way of repeating itself.
OMG. You're kidding. You think this board - KINGSFANS.COM - hopes the Lakers fail? I am shocked and stunned... and ... well, virtually speechless.

WELL OF COURSE WE HOPE THE BLEEPING LAKERS FAIL!

We're Kings fans. Hoping the Lakers fail is one of our pleasures of life.

I mean...d'oh.

;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
One thing I do miss is the competition of the last few years between our teams.

Okay, and yes... I do admit to missing the heated yet respectful exchanges of opinion we used to have for weeks on end between Kings fans and some of our regular Laker fan members...

Those were good times. I pray they can come again. Your team has taken a big step back in that direction; the ball IMHO is now in Petrie's court to do the same.

One thing is for certain, Phil will have to lear to accept looseing, that in and of it's self is worth the show. Shopping Kobe may happen but the boy is not as easy to market as he was last year. Showtime now has a new meaning.

T

thesanityannex

I wonder if there is an over/under I could bet on in Vegas of the split up of Kobe/Phil. I'll take the under at 2 years.