Petrie to hold press conference tomorrow

Maybe we should start some type of 12 step program to help us!! All of my friends and family keep saying that I need to get help! They just do not get how stressful this can be!!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think it's too late for a 12-step program. I'm thinking I'll probably need an intervention and immediate transport for isolation and treatment.

Again, I'm really sorry if I've totally panicked some of you. I should most likely just take a pill and turn off my computer.

:( :eek:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
There was nothing about Petrie on News10. In fact, the only thing about the Kings was the clip of Shaq saying he thought Phil Jackson should have taken the job. Yeah, like I haven't seen that about 5,000 times more than I needed.

:rolleyes:

If tomorrow's conference is simply about Darius and Cuttino opting out it will actually be quite a relief. In fact, as much as I usually complain about "say nothing" press conferences, it could actually be a blessing.

GO KINGS!!!

After the comments today, I think Adelmans gone one way or another, whether they announce it tommorow or not. The Maloofs obviously have no respect for him as a coach and he obviously isn't going to take it. A lot of people are going to finally get what they want, we'll see how it works out... No Webber, No Adelman, change the philosophy of the team... Kingsfans be careful what you wish for, you are about to get it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And, if Adelman leaves, you can bet your bippy that Coachie won't be far behind.

And, if that happens, everything that made us so magical to begin with will essentially be gone. And I, for one, will mourn the passing for a long, long time...

KP said:
After the comments today, I think Adelmans gone one way or another, whether they announce it tommorow or not. The Maloofs obviously have no respect for him as a coach and he obviously isn't going to take it. A lot of people are going to finally get what they want, we'll see how it works out... No Webber, No Adelman, change the philosophy of the team... Kingsfans be careful what you wish for, you are about to get it.
I didn't wish for that. I hope we are all overreacting. If not, the off season will seem like a joy compared to the next few seasons ahead for us.

Since Petrie is the best GM in the NBA, im sure he talked to David Stern, and was allowed to get a early start on Free Agency, meaning we signed Ray Allen, traded for Kevin Garnett and Shaq didnt decided to pick up his option and is coming to Sacramento.... oh yea... we no longer have cap :D

let's hope freak is right and it really is nothing earth shattering but why would they call a press conference for that? We already know about cat and darius and they said we wouldn't see the new uniforms till october. OK I'm now officially freaked out and I have to go to work
When i first read this I had 2 thoughts, 1 was that RA was totally pissed about the whole Phil situation and how it was handled and decided to quit
The second was that petrie would resign, citing health reasons or the fact that he got a lot of flack over the Webber trade.
I hope I'm wrong but we'll see, only 6 hours till we know. Still nothing on the website, I just checked again. Haven't we had enough turmoil and changes this season?
This is going to be one long day sigh

Bricklayer said:
Not sure the signal from kxtv 10 is QUITE powerful enough for me to catch it, but suspose it can't hurt to try. ;)
It the KXTV transmitter were that powerful, it would probably cook burgers and steaks throughout the Sacramento region without firing-up any barbees. ;)

Regarding the pending KXTV press conference with Geoff Petrie, I am absolutely certain that Rick Adelman would speak for himself. It would not surprise me to see Adelman leave if the infamous Maloof-Jackson meeting was more significant than I had originally believed.

I have a feeling that Petrie, Adelman, and Carrill are a package deal. If we lose one because of a management insult of gaf, then I suspect we lose all three. These are men of honor and civility. They are quiet gentlemen. They are from a different culture and time than the Maloof brothers.

If the coaching-management trio leaves Sacramento, the Kings will never be the same. I believe the team-morale, cohesion, and positive spirit that pervaded the Kings during the "growth years" was the direct result of the personalities and skills of players that the coaching trio attracted and hired; the Vlade-Christie-Stojakovic model if you like.

Perhaps the pending Petrie interview will simply be a "State of the Team" address. I don't feel well. :(

Last edited:
Could be an active day on the forum depending on the news. I am not sure I believe its just a state of the union. It's not like GP would give out any details before he made any announcement anyway.

Then again nothing has leaked out so maybe it really is nothing. Maybe a pledge of support for RA? To try and stop any rumors around RA's job security so the team can move forward and get down to business.

It could be worse....we could become another LA Clippers. Im willing to try someone else other than Adelman. Its just a bit "stale" right now. I mean, how many good player does Adelman need? Hes got 3 great players in Bibby, Peja, and Miller. His bench was loaded with pretty good guys. Hell, if ANY coach had Shaq, they would become Phillup reincarnate. I say give someone else a shot. I know for a fact that there are a lot of coaches both active and inactive that would love to coach this team.

UggH! I am on a Maid of Honor "emergency crisis" duty today! Of course, I do not get khtk, so I am leaving up to y'all to fill me in on everything. I know I can depend on you! I thought I passed the age limit of being in weddings a few years back. Anyway, DETAILS, DETAILS, DETAILS. I know that I do not need to remind you of that. I am just too stressed about what is going to be said not to say it!!!!!!

Flip Saunders anyone? PJ Carlisimo? I don't know, who else is out there? There has to be someone thats decent. I wont buy this bs that everyone out there sucks. Come on now.

PFFFT!! said:
Flip Saunders anyone? PJ Carlisimo? I don't know, who else is out there? There has to be someone thats decent. I wont buy this bs that everyone out there sucks. Come on now.
Maybe a coach who teaches defense first???

A coach who doesn't file a complaint with the league during the playoffs because of "rough play"???

Suffice to say there is absolutely nothing being said on the radio this morning and nothing in the Bee......do we even know if this is going to happen???

PFFFT!! said:
I mean, how many good player does Adelman need? Hes got 3 great players in Bibby, Peja, and Miller. His bench was loaded with pretty good guys.
Are you kidding me?

Not to pick on you, but I've read this type of comment many times from several posters.

Just how many teams out there do you think consider these three players a real threat? Honestly.

Don't get me wrong, because they are good players. But great?

Bibby's never been selected as an All-Star. Peja hasn't played like one in two seasons. And Brad Miller is coming off one of the worst seasons in his career (albeit due to freak injuries). And the bench? Please.

You make it sound like adding one or two more players would send this team over the top, or that a new coach would be able to suddenly turn these players into "contenders".

Dog hockey!

The Maloofs and GP have dug themselves quite a hole. Let's see if any of them have the where-with-all to climb out of it without any significant injuries...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
PFFFT!! said:
Sure there's people that are "decent", and still complete flipping failures compared to Rick Adelman.

Our dissatisfaction with Rick is kind of a joke given that are maybe 10 guys in history who have won more games than he has, exactly 1 guy, so far as I know, who has won more over the past 6 years. I think the real issue is the fanbase's incredible overestimation of our talent, and hence our susposed prospects. Rick has won about as much as you are ever susposed to with a team built like ours. Our "great" players, not so great, our team eternally banged up. Every year we are in the Top 10, and normally Top 5 in the league. And we've done it without superstars, without HOFs, without defensive players, without stud rebounders.

What's gotten stale is our constant acquistion of shooting weenie after shooting weenie. Pat Riley would fire the whole team on principle alone and start over. Larry Brown would resign and go elsewhere. Blaming the coach for why our PFs are 6'7", our Cs and SFs are unathletic, and our bad defensive PG and OG play bad defense is entirely missing the point -- no good defensive coach ever has such a pile of glop thrust upon him. Larry Brown coaches a fearsome defensive bunch that were all fearsome before he started coaching them. Gregg Popovich has drafted and acquired defender after defender after defender. He went after Rasho instead of Brad -- bizarre move, until you think of his focus. Pat Riley's first moves when taking over the Knicks and the Heat were to ship out the non-defenders and bring in Anthony Mason, and John Starks, and Rivers and Harper, and Zo, and Majerle, and Bowen, and Brown etc. etc. etc.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
VF21 said:
If tomorrow's conference is simply about Darius and Cuttino opting out it will actually be quite a relief. In fact, as much as I usually complain about "say nothing" press conferences, it could actually be a blessing.

GO KINGS!!!
Wasn't the Darius and Cuttino opting out already covered in a release from the Kings and is on their web site? That news was several weeks ago leaving doubt Petries press conference today is about them. But Petrie holds news closer to his chest than anyone in the NBA so guess I'll have to drive "over the hill" to hear KHTK at noon (over to San Jose). :rolleyes:

I think it's Petrie's normal post season press conference. Remember that he couldn't do it right after the playoffs ended due to his health problems. By the time he recoverred, they have been deep into scouting trips and player workouts. It's also why they haven't gone for the meeting in Las Vegas yet. They just got back from the Chaicago pre-draft camp last weekend. They mentioned the press conference on Saturday's Insider's show on 1140. I doubt this is nothing more than a state of the team address.

i emailed mike remy @ khtk and this is what he said:
----------------------------------------------------
"This is Geoff Petrie's annual state of the team press conf. We'll be talking about it at
4pm and hope to have Geoff on with Grant and Mike...It's not a major announcement. "
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i can forward to you if you want proof

I heard the same thing. State of the team address.

Probably learn alot of nothing. With GP doing it he'll answer every question or address every issue and say nothing.

Wow

I guess I'm just on the other end of the spectrum ....

To me it's just SOP (standard operating procedure). GP has held this conference every year ...

I guess I have this attitude cause NOTHING WILL SURPRISE ME ... I am expecting THINGS TO CHANGE.

Whatever happens .... I'm ready

How good are the Kings?

Starters:

Peja is a legitimate All Star, perhaps the best small forward in the NBA. Yes I wish he got more rebounds and drove to the basket more. But he is an our best defender and our most efficient point scorer.

Brad Miller is a borderline All Star, one of the top 5 centerds in the NBA. A solid, tough player with a little less grace under the basket than I would like.

Mike Bibby is a borderline All Star whom you can count on winning almost singlehandedly a dozen games a season. You can also count on him spacing out on defense and going strangely passive-aggressive in 1/3 of his games.

We need a PF and a SG.

Off the bench:

Bobby Jackson is a mystery. When healthy, he is an energetic defender and attacker of the basket, not quite the passer that we could use from the PG. He is excellent as an off-the-bench energizer. Or he is on the bench injured.

Kenny Thomas would also make a great off the bench scorer. These two guys are experienced energetic team players, a little small to start, but great off the bench.

I'd say Bobby Jackson, Brian Skinner, Kenny Thomas, Greg Ostertag, Eddie House, Corliss Williamson and Kevin Martin make up the best bench in the NBA if properly coached and willing to do it.

If we could luck out at PF, then we are back in contention. But there are serious coaching strategy demands here. Some players are going to be unhappy off the bench (Thomas). Some players need development (Kevin, possibly Darius if we get him back). Some players need to do the job they are paid millions to do (Greg). Some players need to work on defense (Mike, Brad) and others on rebounding (Peja). What kind of coaching revolution will make this happen? I don't know. If RA stays, I think we still need some coaching staff additions. I want Doug back as a coach.