Petrie to hold press conference tomorrow

T

thesanityannex

Mad D said:
''We must get better defensively and it starts with our core guys (Brad, Mike, and Peja.'' -Geoff Petrie

Good luck on that..
Yeah, them getting better defensively is a long shot. Maybe they can take something from Mobley and clap right as the guy is gonna shoot. Wait, nevermind, Mobley sucks.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Mad D said:
''We must get better defensively and it starts with our core guys (Brad, Mike, and Peja.'' -Geoff Petrie

Good luck on that..
Really.

Here, let me give you Glen Rice, Mike Gminski and Scott Skiles and let's go form the core of a good defensive team. :eek:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Glad to see the confidence in our guys. No they're not going to be defensive player of the year winners, but they can probably step it up a few notches if they put their mind to it. It's more a matter of not giving up on possessions than anything else. You can't hustle 75% of the game, you have to do it the whole time. He didn't say anything about sprouting athletic skills, he said they have to get better defensively which I'm sure they're capable of.

Favorite Petrie quote that I heard today. This was in the context of discussing trade rumors.

"If you point to the moon, an imbecile will look at your finger."

T

thesanityannex

hrdboild said:
. No they're not going to be defensive player of the year winners, but they can probably step it up a few notches if they put their mind to it. He didn't say anything about sprouting athletic skills, he said they have to get better defensively which I'm sure they're capable of.
How bout my method------score more than the other team, and the defense isssue is taken care of.

thesanityannex said:
How bout my method------score more than the other team, and the defense isssue is taken care of.
Ask Phoenix how well that works. Better yet, just look how well that worked for us over the past few years!

T

thesanityannex

D-Mass said:
Ask Phoenix how well that works. Better yet, just look how well that worked for us over the past few years!
Well, for one, Phoenix didn't score more than the other team, so that is not my method. Every team that has won a championship has scored more than the other team. You see, there is no need for defense.;)

Bricklayer

thesanityannex said:
Believe it or not, that almost never wins an NBA championship.

Now, "keep the other team from scoring more than you" works all the time.

I don't see why the Kings cannot put out a product that produces both high scoring and defense. Or any team for that matter, it doesn't have to be as boring as the Spurs/Pistons.

We just need a team that is able to get stops when it counts.

T

thesanityannex

Bricklayer said:
Believe it or not, that almost never wins an NBA championship.

Now, "keep the other team from scoring more than you" works all the time.
Keeping the other team from scoring more than you means the EXACT same thing as scoring more than the other team. The team with the highest score always wins.

T

thesanityannex

I may have confused some with my comments, I wasn't talking about offensive/defensive teams, just stating the obvious: The team that scores more than the other team wins.

thesanityannex said:
Keeping the other team from scoring more than you means the EXACT same thing as scoring more than the other team. The team with the highest score always wins.
You and your brain. Your one step ahead of everyone else in the knowledge department. :p Good logic Sanity. I like that idea and hopefully the Kings can buy into it.

Geoff Petrie is a man of few words. Not only that, he is a man of even fewer pieces of meaningful information. He is the absolute master of saying nothing while seemingly participating in a press conference or a one-on-one interview.:rolleyes:

well i'm glad to hear there is nothing major going on. same old same old out of petrie ;)

this is going to be one intresting offseason for the kings, and i wish is was OVER!!!! it's so boring right now!

Evenstar said:
well i'm glad to hear there is nothing major going on. same old same old out of petrie ;)

this is going to be one intresting offseason for the kings, and i wish is was OVER!!!! it's so boring right now!
My greatest fear is that nothing will be done and our team will look pretty much the same as it did the end of last year.

Evenstar said:

It's going to be a lot more boring if we have a lockout:mad:

O.K. My emotional fan rollercoaster ride is offically on the upswing. This is not because of anything that Petrie said or did not say, since he basically did both at the same time! Things are going up simply because today is Friday. We have made it through another week without an injury to a player who is currently on our roster. Nobody has demanded a trade. We have 2 more weeks to speculate on whether or not we keep ourselves in the running to keep Darious and Mo, on who our draft pick will be, and if there will be a lock out. That means we still have two weeks before anything begins to take on any hint of certainty. That also means that anything is still possible.
I also liked that, from Petrie's information, we are not planning on any midseason trades next season. That should help with cohesiveness. It also appears that they are at least putting more real focus on what we need to get better instead of just looking at the good things. I no longer feel that we are doomed to finish at the bottom next season, although, I still don't feel confident about finishing at the top. Now today is just Friday. Monday, I may have a different feeling completely. It is after, THE OFF SEASON!

chelle said:
I still don't feel confident about finishing at the top. Now today is just Friday. Monday, I may have a different feeling completely. It is after, THE OFF SEASON!
You thought we were gonna be at the bottom this year?

In case people missed it, Geoff was also on Grant and Mike's show. He must've memorized the topics because he said the same things. It's up on KHTK's audio archive page.

BigWaxer said:
You thought we were gonna be at the bottom this year?
Well, it all depends. I always had faith that if we kept Bibby, Miller, and Peja, we will still be very good. However, I was (kind of still am) unsure if we were going to keep or trade them. If we were to trade them, who knows what we would end up with. Although I understand why we made the trades we did this past season, I was not overly impressed with how it worked out, so far. With as much uncertainty that has surrounded this team lately, I will not be shocked no matter where we ended up this coming season. I was bracing for the best and worst. By the way, my idea of the bottom is not making the playoffs. I strongly believe that if we keep those three, that will NOT happen!

That is what he does best!!! Maybe that is wy he appears to be so good at his job. I certainly like him better than other GM's. Of course, I am biased.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
chelle said:
It is after, THE OFF SEASON!
chelle, just an FYI for you (then again you may already know). We use the acronym TDOS........which means The Dreaded Off Season. That acronym is courtesy of the inimitable VF21. :p

chelle said:
Well, it all depends. I always had faith that if we kept Bibby, Miller, and Peja, we will still be very good. However, I was (kind of still am) unsure if we were going to keep or trade them. If we were to trade them, who knows what we would end up with. Although I understand why we made the trades we did this past season, I was not overly impressed with how it worked out, so far. With as much uncertainty that has surrounded this team lately, I will not be shocked no matter where we ended up this coming season. I was bracing for the best and worst. By the way, my idea of the bottom is not making the playoffs. I strongly believe that if we keep those three, that will NOT happen!

No offense Chelle but just making the playoffs is not good enough for me. We did that this year and that was good considering the trades and injuries but for a "regular" season we should do better than that. Losing to Seattle in the first round is not exactly something that thrills me. That was the first time most of the team had played together so it was not that surprising but that's not what I want for the future of this team. Of course we're not the Hawks and I thank God for that every day so it could be worse but I wish for much better.:D

Bricklayer

loopymitch said:

No offense Chelle but just making the playoffs is not good enough for me. We did that this year and that was good considering the trades and injuries but for a "regular" season we should do better than that. Losing to Seattle in the first round is not exactly something that thrills me. That was the first time most of the team had played together so it was not that surprising but that's not what I want for the future of this team. Of course we're not the Hawks and I thank God for that every day so it could be worse but I wish for much better.:D
There is nothing the matter with NOT making the playoffs as long as it is a planned short term period to rebuild and reascend. If you're stockpiling young talent, know what you're doing, and will be back on the rise in two years, you might eventually reach greater heights that way than just hanging on accepting mediocrity for fear of ever being "bad". The problem comes when you get trapped down there because of bad luck, crappy decisionmaking, poor leaderhsip/ownership etc. But if you told me that we had to win 25 next year in order to get back to winning 60 two years from now, that would be fine by me so long as you actually pulled it off. Most great teams get their keystone players at a time when they suck, and then shoot upward thereafter.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I have never been so relieved to hear Geoff Petrie dance around questions in my life. Now if the new alternate jerseys AREN'T that disgusting green, I'll be a very happy camper.

:D