Petrie proves his genius once again

(you may know me by my previous username: jered_morgan. now on with the explanation)

As was said in another post, this trade looks bad on the surface, below the surface, and all the way to the core. Now, you may take the angle that Geoff must have known something that we didn't (about player relations, for example), but let me try to explain why this is a great trade, and one that took a huge amount of courage. Chris was a charmer. Petrie knew this trade was going to traumatize a large segment of the fan base, and he did it anyway. Why?

The risk of injury is huge. Do we really think he was going to make it all the way through the playoffs without getting injured? Maybe, maybe. For me, the most striking fact is that in the past few years we are 51-18 without him, and 38-31 with him. That is not a fluke. Chris appears to make our team better, but not according to those numbers.

If he had gotten injured this season there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY we trade him in the offseason, and then not only are we screwed this season, but for several seasons to go because of cap space. This was the safest option. I think we got lucky. Now consider this: the greatest GM in the business is only able to to get those three players for Chris. It's not like we had better options. How can you all of the sudden think Petrie's an idiot? This isn't one of his famous "oops did I just rip you off trades", this one is more like a "they're gonna hate me, and misunderstand me, but I gotta do it anyway" trade. Petrie must have been considering various deals in his mind, but there were no other takers. What a great trade, what a courageous man. Truly. Not all is as it appears.

The Hammer said:
"they're gonna hate me, and misunderstand me, but I gotta do it anyway" trade. Petrie must have been considering various deals in his mind, but there were no other takers. What a great trade, what a courageous man. Truly. Not all is as it appears.
I agree with that. My only question is why couldn't we have gotten Robinson in the deal. They traded him to another team today.

BigWaxer said:
I agree with that. My only question is why couldn't we have gotten Robinson in the deal. They traded him to another team today.
It is because of his HUGE contract, plus he is inkured. I ma glad that we didn't get Glenn.

You know I made a similiar statement in another thread, stating we don't know what's the final outcome of this trade. I mean those numbers of 51-18 were truly observed last year when we were just killing teams without Webber, then he shows up and the chemistry disappeared, no mind you we had Vlade and that meant a Hell of alot to us because he was a second coach out there. What we need is another valuable second coach on the floor like Vlade use to be and not another me me me person.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
You are making a lot of supositions here in order to make THIS deal prove Petrie is a genius. It is at BEST an acceptable gambit, at worst a terrible risk.

Everything depends now on two factors 1) the fragile mentality of Peja Stojakovic; and 2) what promises to be a very active summer for the Kings in the trade market. Basically Petrie is gambling the franchise on his ability to cash in these chips, along with the talent we have, and rebuild the team.

Bricklayer said:
You are making a lot of supositions her in order to make this prove Petrei is a genius. It is at BEST an acceptable gambit, at worst a terrible risk.

Everything depends now on two factors 1) the fragile mentality of peja Stojakovic; and 2) what promises to be a very active summer for the Kings int eh trade market. Basically Petrie is gambling the franchise on his ability to cash in these chips, along with the talent we have, and rebuild the team.
But, we might get some key free agents in the offseason. He might get someone in the free season with all the money they saved in that trade.

Bricklayer said:
Basically Petrie is gambling the franchise on his ability to cash in these chips, along with the talent we have, and rebuild the team.
I definately agree with that. With that said, the only GM's in the League I would give about 90% trust in that type of gamble is West and Petrie.

As Rome called Petrie today West JR.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Bballkingsrock said:
But, we might get some key free agents in the offseason. He might get someone in the free season with all the money they saved in that trade.
We didn't save any money in the trade!!

People keep on missing that -- we got back just as many contracts, and for just as long, as Webb's.

We will be able to sign a guy with an exception if we want. Otherwise, it will all have to be done through trades.

I don't think we saved money.

I think the break up of salaries makes it easier to trade each little piece vs the monster salary of web. Lot easier to package one of them into a deal in the off season (if its needed)

By far the greater risk was keeping him. Think about it. If you want me to put a percentage on the chances of Webb getting injured late season and in the playoffs when it gets rough I'd say 50%. You may say less. That is still a HUGE risk for a chancy-at-best shot at a title this year. Huge because we'd be screwed cap wise for years to come. That's a big factor.

The power of his genius showed in a slightly different way this time: emotional courage. Do you think he wanted this? No. He NEVER expresses emotions and he was clearly emotional about this.

Exactly what suppositions am I making? (ok genius was a strong word, but needed to reverse people's emotionalism)

Heuge said:
I was thinking Petrie may have lost his genius...but both the pro and the con will be found out later.
Why wait till later?

We know what we got with these guys. No surprises. We may trade them in the off season but we are not likely to rip anybody off with them. We may make a solid trade in order to make a solid improvement, which I entirely expect Petrie to do. Don't you?

The Hammer said:
Why wait till later?

We know what we got with these guys. No surprises. We may trade them in the off season but we are not likely to rip anybody off with them. We may make a solid trade in order to make a solid improvement, which I entirely expect Petrie to do. Don't you?
After this trade I am not sure anymore.
We were certainly an elite team before the trade.

its always been Geoff Petrie THE GENIUS

right now its just Geoff Petrie

im waiting for the THE GENIUS part to kick in...i guess that won't happen until this summer but im pretty optimistic in thinking that we will call him Geoff Petrie THE GENIUS again and hopefully a lot sooner than later

Bricklayer said:
You are making a lot of supositions here in order to make THIS deal prove Petrie is a genius. It is at BEST an acceptable gambit, at worst a terrible risk.

Everything depends now on two factors 1) the fragile mentality of Peja Stojakovic; and 2) what promises to be a very active summer for the Kings in the trade market. Basically Petrie is gambling the franchise on his ability to cash in these chips, along with the talent we have, and rebuild the team.
Peja will do better without Webber on the floor.

I'd much rather "gamble the franchise" on Petrie's ability to make some sensible trades with some mediocre but solid players than on a very shaky knee and a gigantic contract. If your Petrie, in which situation do you have more control?

iheartBrad said:
its always been Geoff Petrie THE GENIUS

right now its just Geoff Petrie

im waiting for the THE GENIUS part to kick in...i guess that won't happen until this summer but im pretty optimistic in thinking that we will call him Geoff Petrie THE GENIUS again and hopefully a lot sooner than later
Genius doesn't always dazzle, sometimes it forebears.

Everybody has to learn that you can't judge the trade until the team has played for at LEAST 8 games or more.

The KIngs might be really good, they might of improved, and they might just flat out stink.

You just have to wait till we play our FIRST game with the new players on SAturday.

Heuge said:
After this trade I am not sure anymore.
We were certainly an elite team before the trade.
We can't just take the view of "did this trade make us better?" Because no, it did not. We are not better. But there are more factors to be considered than immediate on court improvement/performance.

The Hammer said:
We can't just take the view of "did this trade make us better?" Because no, it did not. We are not better. But there are more factors to be considered than immediate on court improvement/performance.
Frankly, I do not think this will help us out longterm. We are taking on big salaries that are going to be around nearly as long as Webbs. I can understand a Webb trade. I think it is a good idea. But we did not get nearly enough for him.

Bballkingsrock said:
Everybody has to learn that you can't judge the trade until the team has played for at LEAST 8 games or more.

The KIngs might be really good, they might of improved, and they might just flat out stink.

You just have to wait till we play our FIRST game with the new players on SAturday.
Ok-this trade is not about making us better right now, or 8 games from now. Petrie has a larger vision than that. We may not be able to fully judge (or understand) the effectiveness of this trade for years to come. Really, years.

The Hammer said:
Ok-this trade is not about making us better right now, or 8 games from now. Petrie has a larger vision than that. We may not be able to fully judge (or understand) the effectiveness of this trade for years to come. Really, years.
Oh joy, we need to wait years to win again.

The Hammer said:
and this is good how? years from now webb's contract would have expired anyways. he woulda retired a king, and received the respect from this organization that he deserved.

Heuge said:
Frankly, I do not think this will help us out longterm. We are taking on big salaries that are going to be around nearly as long as Webbs. I can understand a Webb trade. I think it is a good idea. But we did not get nearly enough for him.
no kidding. these salaries are not gonna be easy to move, either. i say this because they would have to be packaged with other players....and who else are we gonna package them with? we will likely be stuck with at least 2 of the 3 guys until their contracts expire.

The Hammer said:
Effectiveness in term of "years" is a bit too long for this profession. In two years if we dont make any change or improve, i'd say Petrie you screw up big time.

Heuge said:
We got tradable guys. If Webb got injured we'd be screwed. Admit it, there was a decent chance that he would have gotten injured this year. Maybe we could have gotten more, but nobody seemed to be willing to give it to us. A contract like that with a knee like that is not taken on unless by a team who needs that one crucial big piece who has been trying to win for a while, who wants to make a real go for it this year. Not many teams like that but Philly.