Petrie proves his genius once again

Andriod_KiNg said:
After a day of thinking , Petrie hasnt mad a bad move yet... He knows what he is doing and this will help us long term...
you sound convinced. :rolleyes:

c'mon....i dont think we should be afraid to voice that this just may have been a really bad move. it may pan out, who knows? i hope i'm wrong, cuz i'd hate to remember the kings as a loser when they leave sacramento (and they will). but i dont think anybody should feel bad about saying that this was a bad trade. i believe kings fans will soon discover just how important webb has been to the kings, especially this season.

Pacboy said:
Effectiveness in term of "years" is a bit too long for this profession. In two years if we dont make any change or improve, i'd say Petrie you screw up big time.
Well, if Webb injured his knee which is pretty likely before his huge contract runs out, it is a years thing, but in the negative. So right there "years" comes into play as an effectiveness of this trade by means of probability of injury, which was a large part of Petrie's reasoning, I'm assuming.

The Hammer said:
We got tradable guys. If Webb got injured we'd be screwed. Admit it, there was a decent chance that he would have gotten injured this year. Maybe we could have gotten more, but nobody seemed to be willing to give it to us. A contract like that with a knee like that is not taken on unless by a team who needs that one crucial big piece who has been trying to win for a while, who wants to make a real go for it this year. Not many teams like that but Philly.
My problem with the trade isn't the fact Webb was traded, my problem is that we got expensive, long-lasting garabage in return.

If you can't tell by now, I'm trying to voice what seems to be an underappriciated value of the trade: Reduction of risk. In this trade, it's not what we got that may or may not pan out, it's what we potentially avioded.

The Hammer said:
Well, if Webb injured his knee which is pretty likely before his huge contract runs out, it is a years thing, but in the negative. So right there "years" comes into play as an effectiveness of this trade by means of probability of injury, which was a large part of Petrie's reasoning, I'm assuming.
if you can say that, then you need to consider the flip side to that coin. what if webb remains a king until retirement, and doesnt suffer another major injury the rest of the way? as unlikely as it may be, i think its completely unfair to make this particular trade, solely on the belief that webb was gonna get injured again. if he stays healthy, we have a legitimate shot at a title. if not this season, then next.

Heuge said:
tradeable garbage...hmmm....
sound familiar? if you would reminisce with me, i'll take you back 7 years, when the kings were absolute losers. we built teams around tradeable garbage. that was the philosophy. if we're lucky, we can trade these 3 guys for some more tradeable garbage, and spiral endlessly into oblivion the way we had always done before webb and vlade came along.

Padrino said:
if you can say that, then you need to consider the flip side to that coin. what if webb remains a king until retirement, and doesnt suffer another major injury the rest of the way? as unlikely as it may be, i think its completely unfair to make this particular trade, solely on the belief that webb was gonna get injured again. if he stays healthy, we have a legitimate shot at a title. if not this season, then next.
I agree Padrino. I'm sure it was a tough call for Geoff.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Padrino said:
before webb and vlade came along.
neither of whom was acquired for tradeable garbage it should be noted.

Webb was traded for a star. Now THAT was a genius move. Only makes this one that much more disapointing.

Vlade took a gamble on us in FA.

Peja and JWill came via the draft for our incompetence.

Bobby was a FA.

Hedo was a pick.

Pollard was a FA.

The only tradeable garbage for star moves we have made were Corliss for Doug, at a time when Corliss still looked like a mid teens scorer. And Hedo/Pollard for Brad.

P.S. I didn't invent the term "tradeable garbage", but I would defeine it as mid level mid salary player who fill out a rotation but are not impact guys.

Bballkingsrock said:
Grant Napear said that we saved 15 million dollars!

I don't understand what you are saying. We saved a bunch of money.
I think Grant was trying to just pull numbers out of thin air. ESPN was reporting that the deal doesn't benefit the Kings at all in terms of salary, and in fact may be a little more. Thomas has a trade kicker of 15%. The site www.hoopshype.com/salaries.htm has listings of all the salaries in the NBA.

ESPN also had an article discussing how a trade like this was so unlikely because both Webber AND Thomas' contracts were regarded as "untradeable". Thomas is a pretty average player with 5 more years on his contract after this. Odds are the Kings will be stuck with him unless they once again take a very lopsided deal to get rid of the contract.

Here's a news flash----Webber is not healthy now!!! Has anyone but me watched the guy run? Have you watched him try to rotate on defense? It's painful! Does anyone actually think he will physically improve? Webber couldn't even practice. I think you are seeing his best right now.

The guy put up some great numbers this year. It's potentially a good trade for Philly this year. I still maintain even with Thomas's long contract he can be moved if it does not work out

I think Petrie is as close to a genius as you get.

You know it's a bad trade if the only way to justify it is if Webber really does suffer a career ending injury... and some people actually seem to be wishing that on him... Sad

The Hammer said:
Maybe its cuz I like Webber but I get the feeling his knee will be fine all season including the playoffs and he will help Philly climb the standing to a 2nd or 3rd seed.

Kenny Thomas is so untradable that it isn't even funny. He will make 8-8.5 million his last two years (when he is 32-33). Not even Isiah Thomas is dumb enough to eat that contract. This trade is SO BAD that it isn't even funny - even if Webber was injured right now and couldn't play EVER again, I would not trade him for KT, because we will NEVER get rid of his contract (plus he is a mediocre, undersized tweener who is a huge defensive liability). I just can't believe that the Kings traded Webber AND gave the other team cap relief. Unreal.

RangerC said:
Kenny Thomas is so untradable that it isn't even funny. He will make 8-8.5 million his last two years (when he is 32-33). Not even Isiah Thomas is dumb enough to eat that contract. This trade is SO BAD that it isn't even funny - even if Webber was injured right now and couldn't play EVER again, I would not trade him for KT, because we will NEVER get rid of his contract (plus he is a mediocre, undersized tweener who is a huge defensive liability). I just can't believe that the Kings traded Webber AND gave the other team cap relief. Unreal.
I don't think that Petrie had much of a choice in the matter. The whole thing has been set up for a long long time. Those moves earlier in the season make a lot more sense dont they? After thinking about it Petrie made the RIGHT decision.

SacTownKid said:
I don't think that Petrie had much of a choice in the matter. The whole thing has been set up for a long long time. Those moves earlier in the season make a lot more sense dont they? After thinking about it Petrie made the RIGHT decision.
Petrie had a choice. Petrie could have traded Peja, or could have traded no one, or could have traded Webber. He COULD have given this team one more shot to win a championship. He CHOSE to pull the plug. I know that in a business decisions need to be made, but I don't believe this decision needed to be made right now, mid season. I mean, what, were these guys just too good to pass up?:rolleyes: And, I will love and support these players when they get here. But we traded the heart and soul of our team for three overpaid players that will probably come off the bench. I just don't think that's a smart move.

RangerC said:
I dunno, I think Isiah can always use more Thomas' :)

love_them_kings said:
Petrie had a choice. Petrie could have traded Peja, or could have traded no one, or could have traded Webber. He COULD have given this team one more shot to win a championship. He CHOSE to pull the plug. I know that in a business decisions need to be made, but I don't believe this decision needed to be made right now, mid season. I mean, what, were these guys just too good to pass up?:rolleyes: And, I will love and support these players when they get here. But we traded the heart and soul of our team for three overpaid players that will probably come off the bench. I just don't think that's a smart move.
By next year signing anybody would have been impossible. All our salary would be wrapped up in the starting 5.

i don't know exactely how numbers work out, but maybe with one guy having a 5 year contract and one guy having a 2 year (webb has 3 i think) we spend less PER year. for example in the third year the 2 year guy is gone. also now, the 5 year guy is probably making less for his first several years than later. something like that. too lazy to look up the actual numbers.

burekijogurt said:
to add, after 5 years, we spend the same amount. that means we will spend less in the three years webber would have been here.
but we're stuck w/ at least one untradeable and mediocre player for 5? wonderful tradeoff. :rolleyes:

R

romanianusa

I agreed that Kings offense isn't smooth when Chris is in there simply because they had to go through him and he had to take a majority of shots and ended up do or die in his hands since he is the leader. Whereas without him....the ball flow much better.

I still remember how great the Kings play without Cwebb last year and was concerned him coming back and disrupting the offense ect.. and everyone was talking about what if he take alot of shots and how the offense tend to freeze up with him in there which is TRUE. Chris makes the Kings better in certain way, but overall ....it could be better for the Kings to play without him. Now last year of course we have Divac to do the passing, creativity, but we don't have that anymore...so who's to say we will still play better without Chris. But i think the big problem is giving up rebounding....that's what they need to solve.

So is it better without Chris?....I am going to be optimistic and say YES based on what happend last year!! And based on the fact that Chris don't make the Kings better in terms of rebounding the ball. I mean we still get robbed in rebounding when Chris is in there..this tells me Chris ain't a good rebounder...he has good hands but doesn't have the lift anymore to get up and outrebound people.

Having said that...is this a good trade?? Heck no....we get some crappy so so players. We could have gotten better players in return...but how can you trade a caliber like Chris that have so many value for 3 crappy players??? And it isn't the money..no no no...this is very stupid to me. At least get some solid decent players in return.

Should Petrie do the deal right now??? Heck no. I mean you have to understand the reason the Kings are not beating or scaring everyone is cuz they have injured players. With Bobby Jackson back...everything will change and will make the Kings much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
RangerC said:
I completely disagree with you! 8 million six years from now will be like 5-6 million now. Did you have a problem with Doug Christie making seven million at 32 years old? Even if the Kings have to completely eat his salary in the final year it wont even be 10% of their cap by then.

You assume that Thomas will stay with the Kings. Maybe he will or maybe he won't. Paying 22 million to a guy who more than likely will not be playing at anywhere near 100% is insane! Especially when Bibby, Peja and Miller will be in their prime. Honestly I don't care about six years from now. IMHO the next four years is the new window. People assume the Kings could have gotten something better for Webber. Why is that? There are only so many GM that would take a gamble like Philly did.

The Kings were not going anywhere with Webber. It was time to go in a new direction and I'm thrilled they found someone to take on that contract!