Petrie proves his genius once again

romanianusa said:
I agreed that Kings offense isn't smooth when Chris is in there simply because they had to go through him and he had to take a majority of shots and ended up do or die in his hands since he is the leader. Whereas without him....the ball flow much better.

I still remember how great the Kings play without Cwebb last year and was concerned him coming back and disrupting the offense ect.. and everyone was talking about what if he take alot of shots and how the offense tend to freeze up with him in there which is TRUE. Chris makes the Kings better in certain way, but overall ....it could be better for the Kings to play without him. Now last year of course we have Divac to do the passing, creativity, but we don't have that anymore...so who's to say we will still play better without Chris. But i think the big problem is giving up rebounding....that's what they need to solve.

So is it better without Chris?....I am going to be optimistic and say YES based on what happend last year!! And based on the fact that Chris don't make the Kings better in terms of rebounding the ball. I mean we still get robbed in rebounding when Chris is in there..this tells me Chris ain't a good rebounder...he has good hands but doesn't have the lift anymore to get up and outrebound people.
the kings are no where near as deep as they were last season, and we didnt receive players in this trade who will address chris' weaknesses, or make up for his strengths. and the offense runs much more crisply thru webber. did you watch the game tonight? i dont know how the kings scored so many points, the offense was incredibly disjointed, and the assists were relatively low. granted, there are all sorts of circumstances to contribute to this fact, but webb ran the offense for the whole of the season, and he ran it very well. losing a star and triple double threat every night does not make the team better. i'm of the opinion that the talent level of a team needs to remain high for a team to be competitive, especially in the nba today. the 3 players we received are no where near the talent level of chris webber, and we traded away chris webber as well as 2 bench players just to receive 3 bench players? please...the team gained nothing. the numbers tell you that. maybe philly will waive matt barnes and we can re-sign him...

I think Petrie went with a specific band of players to trade for. Did you see Isiah in the Knicks game. He looked seriously P.O.'d when he was asked about Webb. They probably could have got him, or so they think.

burekijogurt said:
by teh way, he just got traded. not untradable.
can you tell me what team in their right mind is gonna want kenny thomas and his ridiculous contract in a single player trade? to dump him and his salary, we'd need to throw in somebody of real value, which means a core player.

burekijogurt said:
he was not packaged with a star player in this trade.
thats because it was an idiotic trade on petrie's part. i dont know how trading a 5 time all star and tripe double threat for 3 bench warmers is a good trade. i'm sorry, i just dont see it. i tried to be logical for a while, but my anger's flared up again. it makes no sense. we didn't even receive a goddam starter in this trade. thats inexcusable, not the loss at dallas tonight.

Padrino said:
thats because it was an idiotic trade on petrie's part. i dont know how trading a 5 time all star and tripe double threat for 3 bench warmers is a good trade. i'm sorry, i just dont see it. i tried to be logical for a while, but my anger's flared up again. it makes no sense. we didn't even receive a goddam starter in this trade. thats inexcusable, not the loss at dallas tonight.
I agree with you 100% Padrino.

i'm not saying it was a good trade. just that we do spread the money over 5 years and that you cannot claim impossiblity for an event that just happend. improbability, yes. impossiblity, ruled out by occurence.

G_M said:
I completely disagree with you! 8 million six years from now will be like 5-6 million now. Did you have a problem with Doug Christie making seven million at 32 years old? Even if the Kings have to completely eat his salary in the final year it wont even be 10% of their cap by then.
1) Yes, I had a problem with DC's contract. We overpaid. Although, Christie is at least twice the player Thomas is.
2) Thomas' contract will be almost 9 million (thanks to the trade kicker) in the last year of his contract. Are you speculating that the salary cap will be over 90 million by then? (a hint: It won't)

G_M said:
You assume that Thomas will stay with the Kings. Maybe he will or maybe he won't. Paying 22 million to a guy who more than likely will not be playing at anywhere near 100% is insane!
1) KT will stay with the Kings. Who else would take that contract? Either that, or we trade him for an even worse contract down the line (oh boy).

2) I agree that paying Webber the MAX is massively overpaying: however, paying KT, Scoreless and Brian Skinner JUST AS MUCH is a much better definition of insane.

Ranger, would you rather be on the books on a max contract for the next several years, or a potentially tradeable 8 million? That's dollars saved. My position, which is rather like GM's is out there for everyone to see. I don't see how getting guys we can package in later deals is not beneficial. We were not winning a title this year. Webber playing at any sort of All-Star level was not guaranteed for the rest of this season, let alone the rest of his contract. At the very least we get guys we can move around, and I really like VF's analogy. If we break up that hundred, it's not only easier to spend, but it can be spent in more places.

Who wants Kenny Thomas? Honestly who is dying to get this guy. The only reason he's tradeable is that some of our players are "underpaid" such as Peja and we can't match salaries for similarily talented players.

Nobody's dying to get him. Think logically, man. Webber's far more of a risk than Thomas, though he is a far superior player, and he's saddled with an enormous contract, and he was traded. First you assume that we can get anyone we want for Webber, then you assume that nobody will take Thomas. I assert that there are teams that want Thomas just as there was a team that wanted Webber. Besides, the point is that nobody has to "want" Thomas. We can package Thomas with somebody else for salary reasons. I don't know exactly how it goes down, but Geoff Petrie, the man who has made so many great deals in the past, the man who is actually the general manager of an NBA team and not an emotional armchair observer, has earned my trust.

love_them_kings said:
Petrie had a choice. Petrie could have traded Peja, or could have traded no one, or could have traded Webber. He COULD have given this team one more shot to win a championship. He CHOSE to pull the plug. I know that in a business decisions need to be made, but I don't believe this decision needed to be made right now, mid season. I mean, what, were these guys just too good to pass up?:rolleyes: And, I will love and support these players when they get here. But we traded the heart and soul of our team for three overpaid players that will probably come off the bench. I just don't think that's a smart move.
i couldnt agree more

Padrino said:

worse yet, none of the 3 new Kings are particularily good rebounders or defenders - Kenny Thomas is potentially a worst defender than Webber and Corliss just shoots the ball and doesn't really rebound or defend

RangerC said:
1) Yes, I had a problem with DC's contract. We overpaid. Although, Christie is at least twice the player Thomas is.
2) Thomas' contract will be almost 9 million (thanks to the trade kicker) in the last year of his contract. Are you speculating that the salary cap will be over 90 million by then? (a hint: It won't)

1) KT will stay with the Kings. Who else would take that contract? Either that, or we trade him for an even worse contract down the line (oh boy).

2) I agree that paying Webber the MAX is massively overpaying: however, paying KT, Scoreless and Brian Skinner JUST AS MUCH is a much better definition of insane.

nicely said rangerc

Considering we traded for Mobley for DC, DC's contract is gone next year because Mobley will probably be gone, BJ will probably be gone since the Kings might not exercise the option, Songalia will probably be gone since his skills are more than what he's being paid, most of the bench will be gone (Daniels, House, Evans), and I believe one of the new players will not exercise his option, thus we have space to pick up a free agent (most likely a young PF), and perhaps trade someone. Whats the big deal?

I still think that their is nothing intelligent that we can further say. Everything now is "what if". What if Webber was injured? What if Thomas and Corliss were flopps? What if we could have gotten some other players?. This talk is just useless. I admit, i miss webber ALOT. I hated him the past 2-3 years, but now i regrett everything i said against him, as do most webber-haters now.

The thing is, stay positive, wait a couple weeks to see how things turnout. Look at the last philly games, you'll see that corliss and thomas can get as many point as webber got (that is if you combine both players against one), while taking less shots. Turst the man, trust the GM, and do what a fan is supposed to do, cheer on their team! just watch, once the new guys get familiar with the guys and the system, its gonna be all good, if not better :D! Go Kings Go! Cheers ;) :p :)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
PFFFT!! said:
Considering we traded for Mobley for DC, DC's contract is gone next year because Mobley will probably be gone, BJ will probably be gone since the Kings might not exercise the option, Songalia will probably be gone since his skills are more than what he's being paid, most of the bench will be gone (Daniels, House, Evans), and I believe one of the new players will not exercise his option, thus we have space to pick up a free agent (most likely a young PF), and perhaps trade someone. Whats the big deal?
We need to do sign and trades if at all possible with Mobley/NBobby, or pick up Bobby's contract and trade him with one of the other guys. We just lost a LOAD of talent, we can't afford to let anymore walk for free if we want to continue to contend. We need several more impact players if its going to be Bibby/Miller/Peja, and Corliss isn't going to net you one again at this point in his career. Mobley might though, if you swing it right. And Bobby + one of our new contracts might as well.

Bricklayer said:
We need to do sign and trades if at all possible with Mobley/NBobby, or pick up Bobby's contract and trade him with one of the other guys. We just lost a LOAD of talent, we can't afford to let anymore walk for free if we want to continue to contend. We need several more impact players if its going to be Bibby/Miller/Peja, and Corliss isn't going to net you one again at this point in his career. Mobley might though, if you swing it right. And Bobby + one of our new contracts might as well.
A LOAD of talent? Who? The only guy we lost in free agency was Vlade, whos not even playing on the Lakers, and Jim Jackson, who would have been a good bench player, but you can live without him. But ya, JJ compared to what we have now is the only one in my mind.

If you meant Webber and DC in trades, we lost guys on the downside of their careers and injury prone (Webbers case).

Im more concerned about the Arena fiasco, but thats left for another topic.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
El Duque said:
Ahhhh, Brick, and now you see... ;)
What I see is this -- the undercurrent is that

a) Peja is not a superstar to carry us to a title on his back by himself, AND
b) Peja/Bibby/Miller is a nice core, but not good enough to do more than just make the playoffs without help. It is a bad defensive core, a bad post play core, and a bad rebounding core. And of course those are exactly the three areas almost every title team excels at.

and so we somehow need to get

a) MULTIPLE defensive studs, AND
b) at least one strong post player (as we now have exactly ZERO), AND
c) one of those players must be a strong rebounder, AND
d) a backup point guard who can play some defense to bolster Mike

AND

e) the real need? A new stud/leader/clutch/fierce/leader type star to complete the package.

And to do it we have two semi-nice pieces, one of whom could just walk without giving us a chance to use him, and the other who is aging and injury prone, and then a bunch of spare parts.

P.S. Pfft -- we have gone from Vlade/Webb/barnes/Bradley to Tag/Thomas/Willaimson/Skinner. The fall off in talnet is staggering. The first two have outside shots at the hall of fame and are some of the best passing big men even to bounce a ball. The latter quartet are the sort of frontcourt lottery teams put together. Talent is a resource, we can't bleed any more out at this point.

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:
What I see is this -- the undercurrent is that

a) Peja is not a superstar to carry us to a title on his back by himself, AND
b) Peja/Bibby/Miller is a nice core, but not good enough to do more than just make the playoffs without help. It is a bad defensive core, a bad post play core, and a bad rebounding core. And of course those are exactly the three areas almost every title team excels at.

and so we somehow need to get

a) MULTIPLE defensive studs, AND
b) at least one strong post player (as we now have exactly ZERO), AND
c) one of those players must be a strong rebounder, AND
d) a backup point guard who can play some defense to bolster Mike

AND

e) the real need? A new stud/leader/clutch/fierce/leader type star to complete the package.

And to do it we have two semi-nice pieces, one of whom could just walk without giving us a chance to use him, and the other who is aging and injury prone, and then a bunch of spare parts.

P.S. Pfft -- we have gone from Vlade/Webb/barnes/Bradley to Tag/Thomas/Willaimson/Skinner. The fall off in talnet is staggering. The first two have outside shots at the hall of fame and are some of the best passing big men even to bounce a ball. The latter quartet are the sort of frontcourt lottery teams put together. Talent is a resource, we can't bleed any more out at this point.
I honestly believe Bibby might become your e player, at least for the time being. Let's look at the core
C Miller
PF ?
SF Peja
SG?
PG Bibby

With this core, you really need to fill in PF and SG with athletic defenders, at least one of whom may score. Mobley may be worth retaining because he may not be willing to sign/trade and his defense and scoring should be good enough until Martin is ready.

I think this offseason you think about packaging Bobby+newbie for an athletic PF, such as Swift etc, who can shore up the interior D.

Evans will also be a free agent, and if he develops the D and the shot enough we could retain him, but simply letting Mobley go would be tough.

Bricklayer said:
I totally agree with your post except for this part. The fall off in talent isn't nearly as staggering if you think about it. Consider this, Vlade is now injured and doubtful to play anymore, he should have retired a king. While Tag is somewhat used in our lineup, comes in a does some work (reebound, block shots, bang down low) Adelman needs to just use him better and more. This way we somewhat got a better deal.

Webber, this will be a tough one to argue. He is aging no defensive presence, scorer but takes too many shots. In return we get hustle players and rebounders who i think, when at least both Thomas and Willaimson split webbers minutes, can become way more productive then the single webber.

Matt barnes might have been a future, but at this stage, when we really have to make a playoff push, would not have been needed, same for bradley who i think is just a roster filler, with 0.5 minutes per game or something.

We don't need this aging talent that can be all spent after 1 or 2 more season, we need new guys that can hustle, fight, and fill in the missing gaps, reebounding, defence and all the dirty work that follows.

Okay, as a newbie, I am going out on a limb here. Go ahead, y'all, beat up on me if you see fit.

Here goes. It's about leadership. Petrie has it, has had it, and it's the secret of his success. Leadership requires guts. Guts to fail, if that's how things turn out.

Now, lets look at what's left after the loss of C-Webb. Who's got the leadership, the heart, the guts on this TEAM? Who cares if the front office has leadership when nobody on the team - the players - have what it takes to win it all?

I would venture that if any of the core players (except Bobby, who is hurting I am sure, and maybe Cuttino, who remains to be seen) had the leadership qualities this team needs, we wouldn't have gone down this year, to sink to this point of TRADING C-WEBB??? IS PETRIE NUTS???

***ahem***

And, I have yet to see anybody here talk about leadership among the coaching staff, where have they been while "everybody's standing around watching Webb hold the ball" on offense and "everybody's worried about busting a fingernail trying to get a rebound" on defense?

I feel better now. Whaddya think?

From a newbie, to a fellow newbie, i agree with you. We need leadership, but i still think that moving webber would EVENTUALLY (notice "long term") help the team out. But heres some food for thought. When Yugolsavia (i guess now Serbia and Montengro) won the World Championships, beating the USA and Argentina in the finall. Guess who our leader was? Divac? not really, respected but not a leader. It was Stojakovic, somehow, he really stepped out of his shell and led the team! this proves that he can be a leader (not to the potentiall of C-Webb), but he just really needs to dig down and find it. Somewhere...Somehow....

mazzystar said:
My dream line-up...
C Brad
PF Stromile Swift
SF Peja
SG Ron Artest
PG Mike Bibby

Add Posey and Watson to the bench ... drool....
im guessing you watch a lot of Grizz games

i think a lot of the guys they have our underrated...

i really like Stromile Swift