Peja Stojakovic

and between honest criticism and just pouring it on. this game showed a lot of positive about peja- he was creating his own shot in a lot of situations and being very aggressive all over the court. he's been talking about how dissapointed he is with his own performance for a while now, and that he was still getting over his back injury and general body aches and pains that prevented him from going all out. before the game today he said he felt great for the first time in a while, and it showed on the floor. if he stays healthy the rest of the year, there's no reason not to expect this in the playoffs. also, he did have trouble adjusting without cwebb, vlade, doug and brad. maybe now he's finally adjusting. players cant do this overnight, especially when someone like peja has been pampered with a great supporting cast his entire career. so, after watching this game i can see what is possible for the future.

``The basket felt like a swimming pool,'' Stojakovic said. ``I know I've been inconsistent lately, but you just have to keep playing through it. I was just being aggressive from the first minute. ... I know I was struggling, but I couldn't sit home and cry. I had to play and get back in shape.''

Nice quote from Peja.

Have to give Peja props for tonights game.

PROPS

Seems to be getting used to the team changes and actually had some nice 1 on 1 plays tonight. I expect him to keep it up.

``The basket felt like a swimming pool,'' Stojakovic said. ``I know I've been inconsistent lately, but you just have to keep playing through it. I was just being aggressive from the first minute. ... I know I was struggling, but I couldn't sit home and cry. I had to play and get back in shape.''
This (even more than the performance itself) is EXACTLY what I've been waiting to see from Peja all season long.

He definitely gave a flip about this game.

That's my man! ;)
Finally Peja steped up as we wanted from him to do.Great job!His shot hasn't been good in last games,so he explode last night!He should just continue to be aggressive and lead Kings to the Title!
Peja majstore,legendo.... :D

P.S.VF21 you're pretty good in Serbian ;)

Bricklayer said:
Absolutely no complaints possible over this performance.

My overall opinion has not changed however -- it wasn't formed by one game, and its not changed by one game. He's been soft for 7 years, and likely a lifetime before that, and he's got to do this on a semi-consistent basis before I stop invoking the blind squirrel theory. But it is definitely the roadmap to what he might be, perhaps could be. He's not always going to shoot like this, and top defenders will probably still cause him to struggle, but he damn well could always bust his *** out there. Even if he had shot poorly, tonight he still would have mattered on effort alone. That's what he needs to do -- he needs to matter even when his shot isn't falling. He can't be just a shooter, or he's just a roleplayer. Now if we could just bottle this game...
Just play like you mean it, and we'll be happy with that. Whether he's 9-13 or 7-22, if he's out there hustling and giving it all he has, that's what matters, and that's what's going to set him apart as a player.

I forgot one thing.Peja had something on his knee last night and I really hope that it doesn't have anything with some injury...?

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Just got back from the game and all I can say PEDJA so nice to see you, man I have missed you! Brick hit the nail on the head so I will not bother to say more.

Bricklayer said:
Absolutely no complaints possible over this performance.

My overall opinion has not changed however -- it wasn't formed by one game, and its not changed by one game. He's been soft for 7 years, and likely a lifetime before that, and he's got to do this on a semi-consistent basis before I stop invoking the blind squirrel theory. But it is definitely the roadmap to what he might be, perhaps could be. He's not always going to shoot like this, and top defenders will probably still cause him to struggle, but he damn well could always bust his *** out there. Even if he had shot poorly, tonight he still would have mattered on effort alone. That's what he needs to do -- he needs to matter even when his shot isn't falling. He can't be just a shooter, or he's just a roleplayer. Now if we could just bottle this game...
I totally agree with you on your point that even if he had shot poorly tonight I still would have been happy with his game due to his obvious effort to play better basketball....GO PEJA! All I want is to see you try to play tough...When you do that you always give us GREAT basketball..Win or Lose...(although I do prefer to win!;) ) You know I did wear my lucky Kings sweater last night while listening...that may have to be my Peja-Boosting lucky charm from now on!

Peja looked like he actually cared tonight, which seems to be what has been missing all year. It's great that he's coming on strong at the end of the season instead of fading. Go Peja!!!
~~

HndsmCelt said:
Just got back from the game and all I can say PEDJA so nice to see you, man I have missed you! Brick hit the nail on the head so I will not bother to say more.
Hnd, the crowd was GREAT tonight! Good job! How pis*** off was everyone at Dirk? ;)

3Ball said:

Nice quote from Peja.
One thing that I've always loved about Peja is his willingness to admit to his weaknesses and acknowledge them and try to improve upon them....and tonight he showed us how much he is trying so GO PEJA!! GREAT GAME!!

Can someone tell me,is there some record in the smallest number of shots with impart big number o points,in Pedja's case 13 shot and 38 points.

Entity

Hall of Famer
VF21 said:
Any questions?
Yeah can he do it 2, 3, maybe 4 games in a row. Not 37 exactly but, a game where is involved and moving without the ball and contributing on the boards. I have no questions at all about his game against Dallas. I just want that effort everynight.

HndsmCelt said:
Rabid! the guy is a PUNK and every fan in ARCO knew it!
Dirk is a punk? You sure? IMO he's a future hall of famer that has a true desire to win that sometimes manifests itself in overt behavior. I'd love to have his skills and attitude wearing a Kings jersey.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
HndsmCelt said:
Rabid! the guy is a PUNK and every fan in ARCO knew it!
I actually watched Dirk with a little interest tonight. Did not mind that hard foul he delivered on Thomas that much -- or let's revise that, minded it very MUCH on a Kings player, but from a "how you play the game perspective" it raised an eyebrow more than a protest from me. Dirk has never been as passive as Peja can be, but the fact is he still has always still been in the soft camp in a lot of ways. I doubt we'll be seeing a string of hard fouls out of him now, but the mere fact he was willing to deliver one rather than just a little love tap on the wrist for the and+1 was of interest. Could this guy be toughening up into the sort of fierce competitor you need at PF?

I'm reminded a bit of when Webb plastered Stockton in his first playoffs with the Kings. Borderline dirty? Sure. Make him a hero to his team and hated in the other town? Sure. But as long as nobody gets hurt messages like that are something you love to see out of your power players every once in a while. Maybe Avery's influence?

Last edited:
Dirk might have been reacting to the way the Warriors played him the night before...they were touching him after the whistle and getting up in his grill on the court.

About Peja...he ALWAYS takes it personally against Dirk and comes out on top more often than not.

A couple of days ago people wanted him gone. Now everyone loves him. If he has a stinker on saturday, everyone wants him gone again. Funny how opinions change
yeah, it's funny how people get excited over a single good game from Peja. I'm being consistent with what i'm saying, Peja is a disappointment this year.

Yesterday we saw Peja in superstar mode......too bad that most of the time he is stuck in winter hibernation mode ;)

Maybe, after last year, he thought that playing well through the first 60 games of the season is meaningless. Hopefully, this year will be the opposite.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
I actually watched Dirk with a little interest tonight. Did not mind that hard foul he delivered on Thomas that much -- or let's revise that, minded it very MUCH on a Kings player, but from a "how you play the game perspective" it raised an eyebrow more than a protest from me. Dirk has never been as passive as Peja can be, but the fact is he still has always still been in the soft camp in a lot of ways. I doubt we'll be seeing a string of hard fouls out of him now, but the mere fact he was willing to deliver one rather than just a little love tap on the wrist for the and+1 was of interest. Could this guy be toughening up into the sort of fierce competitor you need at PF?

I'm reminded a bit of when Webb plastered Stockton in his first playoffs with the Kings. Borderline dirty? Sure. Make him a hero to his team and hated in the other town? Sure. But as long as nobody gets hurt messages like that are something you love to see out of your power players every once in a while. Maybe Avery's influence?
There you going being objective again. IF I were to look at the play from a such a dispasionant and non partisian view I would no doubt agree. Regardless my post was simply a fans description of what the "feeling" was in Arco at that moment.

Bump, Dam it was good to see Peja light up the Mavs last night. I'm still thinking about it. I haven't been that fired up for awhile, it was good to see the guys(Peja in particular) step up in an intense hard fought game against a really good team and win. I miss that Peja that I know he can be, he really came through in a big game where we needed him too. I hope he keeps it up.