Pedja and Miller not likely in game 1 sacbee

This sucks I was hoping to have Pedja play the first game.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/12767781p-13618909c.html

Kings coach Rick Adelman would love to tell everyone how he will use Peja Stojakovic and Brad Miller in Saturday night's Western Conference playoff opener against the Seattle SuperSonics.

However, that means Adelman would have to know. Thursday afternoon, he said that wasn't the case.

OAS_AD('Button20');
The coach spoke of both players as if they were unlikely to play Saturday. Stojakovic's strained left groin will be put to a test in practice today before the team flies to Seattle.

Miller, who is coming back from a fractured left fibula, has gradually upgraded his activity. Adelman said the 7-footer certainly wants to play Saturday, but it's more likely Miller would be available for Game 3 on April 29.

Miller, Stojakovic, Mike Bibby (sprained left ankle) and Brian Skinner (sprained right foot) sat out Thursday's scrimmage, Adelman said. The coach expects Bibby and Skinner to be ready.

"It's a headache," Adelman said of the uncertainty surrounding his two All-Stars' availability. "It's frustrating. Even when you get Miller back, then it's a case of how do you use him."

Adelman said he was enthused by watching Miller's oncourt workout. The team submitted its playoff roster Thursday, and Miller and Stojakovic were on it. Kevin Martin and Erik Daniels, both rookies, were taken off the active list.

Miller last played Feb. 27.

"If (Miller) goes along without any problems and keeps getting better, he could probably play in Game 3," Adelman said. "He's got to get out here and go through some drills. He's certainly out of shape because he couldn't run while he was hurt. But he really moved pretty well. I was pleasantly surprised to see how he moved (Thursday) without any pain."

Stojakovic said Wednesday night he didn't want to re-injure his strained groin by rushing back, or worse, injuring it more severely so as to jeopardize his postseason availability.

Stojakovic sounded as if he knew giving his groin a few more days of rest by missing Game 1 would guarantee his availability for the rest of the series and playoffs, that would be his choice of action. Stojakovic said he ran on the treadmill Wednesday and went through some shooting drills, but he didn't truly test the injury.

Stojakovic's absence, or even a return with tentative movement, is troublesome because the Sonics often feature 6-foot-10 small forward Rashard Lewis.

Lewis, who also has been slowed by a sore right foot, is a versatile scorer. He averaged 21.7 points in three games against the Kings. His ability to punish defenders on the perimeter, as well as the post, makes him a tough guard.

Adelman said if Stojakovic is unable to play, he'd likely use 6-7 Kenny Thomas and 6-7 Corliss Williamson against Lewis.

The Sonics, Adelman said, also have played Lewis at power forward and used a three-guard attack featuring Luke Ridnour, Ray Allen and Antonio Daniels or Ronald "Flip" Murray.

"In some ways," Adelman said, "without those guys practicing we were able to try some things offensively to get (Thomas) familiar with what we're trying to do. (Lewis) with (Thomas, Williamson or Darius Songaila) will step out on the floor and catch (the ball) and isolate. And he's really quick."

Adelman said the first game will become a tremendous learning tool. Since the Chris Webber trade, the Kings have only played the Sonics once. And Seattle was without Lewis in that 122-101 Kings' victory April 5 at Arco Arena.

"It's going to be an interesting playoff series," Adelman said, "and I think I'm going with who I think can help us at that particular time. After the first couple of games, I think we'll have a pretty good idea of can Kenny guard Lewis? Can he play the small forward? "Everything is brand new to us. I'm kind of leaving (things) open. You could see Eddie (House) out there with Bobby (Jackson) if Bobby is playing Allen and Eddie is playing the point guard

this is going to be interesting indeed, but i definately think we can contain lewis and allen. listening to RA talk about it makes it seem like more of a reality than sitting and waiting, thinking about how to defend them. i hope kevin and erik dont pull tony massenburgs and leave the team. they are allowed to be on the bench with the team right? just not dressed

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I find it very interesting that Rick is thinking of trying to slow down Lewis with Thomas. Interesting not only for this series, but potentially for the future. On the one hand he has the strength and toughness to hopefully contend with him in the post (as does Corliss), on the other, can he stay with him on the perimeter? And ironically he's still giving up a lot of height so you wonder if Lewis might be able to just shoot over him anyway despite being a "small" forward.

But interesting for the future because of our occasional musings about trying to move Kenny to the SF and bring in a full sized PF. Quite the stage for the audition, and it will intriguing to see whether he can handle himself against a good SF scorer. If he can, might even have implications for what we decide to do this offseason.

But if Rick's guarding Lewis with Thomas...then I can only assume that means he must be starting Corliss and having him try to bang with the thug twins? Tough enough, but we will get exterminated on the boards if that's really the matchup.

I Hope You're Right ...

Mirrors - Smoke Screens - Leaking False Info - What's True - What's Not

We ain't gonna know anything till Tip-Off .... the anticipation is killin' me !!!

Bricklayer said:
But interesting for the future because of our occasional musings about trying to move Kenny to the SF and bring in a full sized PF. Quite the stage for the audition, and it will intriguing to see whether he can handle himself against a good SF scorer. If he can, might even have implications for what we decide to do this offseason.
Just curious how would you see the future line up if KT performs at the SF?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
BK_KingsFan said:
What!!?? I thought Peja said the groin felt good. Uggh, I'm getting really sick of all the rumors and false statements going around. :mad: :mad:
Stojakovic said Wednesday night he didn't want to re-injure his strained groin by rushing back, or worse, injuring it more severely so as to jeopardize his postseason availability.

Stojakovic sounded as if he knew giving his groin a few more days of rest by missing Game 1 would guarantee his availability for the rest of the series and playoffs, that would be his choice of action. Stojakovic said he ran on the treadmill Wednesday and went through some shooting drills, but he didn't truly test the injury.
Peja has said he feels a LOT better. I think they're being cautious and at this point I don't blame them one bit...

bibbinator said:
I'll be LMAO if Peja and Brad start at game 1. Ha! Take that Sonics!
i'd rather have Brad back in game 2 or 3 because it'll be a surprise for the Sonics, and something they need to change their gameplan to.

Bricklayer

Pqster said:
Just curious how would you see the future line up if KT performs at the SF?
It just opens the possibility of toughening up the team by moving KT to SF, and then trading Peja to bring back a big PF. KTs undersized as a PF, but he'd be a Marion like figure at SF (minus the shotblocking and hops) if he could handle it. We'd go from being weak on the boards to being strong on the boards etc. Seems unlikely Geoff would ever take that chance, but KT is roughly the same size as Marion, so it looks at least theoretically possible.

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:
It just opens the possibility of toughening up the team by moving KT to SF, and then trading Peja to bring back a big PF. KTs undersized as a PF, but he'd be a Marion like figure at SF (minus the shotblocking and hops) if he could handle it. We'd go from being weak on the boards to being strong on the boards etc. Seems unlikely Geoff would ever take that chance, but KT is roughly the same size as Marion, so it looks at least theoretically possible.
The one thing I worry about is his speed. His game relies partly on his speed. At PF he is pretty quick but when he moves to SF he would lose that advantage. I guess we will wait and see.

Bricklayer

AleksandarN said:
The one thing I worry about is his speed. His game relies partly on his speed. At PF he is pretty quick but when he moves to SF he would lose that advantage. I guess we will wait and see.
I think he might be able to substitute in a power game and just out tough msot SFs, but even so there are defensive questions, ballhandling questions (although peja is not overwhelmingly strong there either so maybe not that big a falloff) etc. Just generally, can Kenny Thomas guard and play with a smaller player with guard skills on the perimeter? Maggete or McGrady etc.? If he can, then its a legit idea, at least from where I'm sitting. Go from soft SF and undersized PF to tough SF and hopefully bring in a big physical PF. Could instantly transform the team mentality. But obviously the possible downside is lose outside shooting, lose ballhandling etc.

N.U.F.A.N. said:
i'd rather have Brad back in game 2 or 3 because it'll be a surprise for the Sonics, and something they need to change their gameplan to.
They're already expecting Brad to come back in game 2 or 3. Game 1 would be the bigger surprise, and it gives Brad more time to get his game back together.

Not like any of this matters, Brad will return when he's ready.

Bricklayer said:
I like KT as much as the next guy (probably a little more then most I think my wife is starting to worry) but KT can not cover Peja's scoring. Unless you brought in a high scoring PF and those are few and far between. Probably a better chance trading KT, keeping Peja and getting a big PF.

Bricklayer said:
I think he might be able to substitute in a power game and just out tough msot SFs, but even so there are defensive questions, ballhandling questions (although peja is not overwhelmingly strong there either so maybe not that big a falloff) etc. Just generally, can Kenny Thomas guard and play with a smaller player with guard skills on the perimeter? Maggete or McGrady etc.? If he can, then its a legit idea, at least from where I'm sitting. Go from soft SF and undersized PF to tough SF and hopefully bring in a big physical PF. Could instantly transform the team mentality. But obviously the possible downside is lose outside shooting, lose ballhandling etc.
The one thing I worry about is perimeter defense. It is bad already having Kt guard the perimeter scares me.

Didn't K9 have a career game against Seattle a couple weeks ago? It might be one of those teams that one of our players kills.. We have seen so many players kill our team, it is time for one of our players to do the opposite!

Bricklayer

Gary said:
Didn't K9 have a career game against Seattle a couple weeks ago? It might be one of those teams that one of our players kills.. We have seen so many players kill our team, it is time for one of our players to do the opposite!
No, think the career game was against the Lakers (32pts or whatever).

Im confident we can win game 1 and im very confident we can win game 2 and especially game 3 when Miller comes back... hell Im VERY confident that we can sweep the Sonics. If they drop into a offensive slump and we play like we have of late we will win.

Actually, postgame KT corrected that. Said his career points game was 33. Don't know when or who against. (Maybe the Kings LOL ;) )

Last edited:
I'm listening to the Grant show on the radio right now and Mike Lam thinks Peja and Brad will play tomorrow. He said Brad was in a really good mood today and Lam said the only one that didn't practice was Mike Bibby. Don't worry, people, Bibby will play tomorrow.

Rockmeister said:
I'm listening to the Grant show on the radio right now and Mike Lam thinks Peja and Brad will play tomorrow. He said Brad was in a really good mood today and Lam said the only one that didn't practice was Mike Bibby. Don't worry, people, Bibby will play tomorrow.
Lets hope its true. I want Miller back but I fear hurting his leg even more which would take him out for the remainder of the playoffs where we may need him. I say we rest him game 1 or give him 10 mins in game 1 and see how he does. I think Peja should play depending on how he feels but if he feels ANYTHING at all he needs to sit and stretch. I deffinitly dont want them rushing back but I also dont want them taking their time.