[ORL/LAL] 2009 NBA Champions - Magic or Lakers?

Who will win and in how many games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Thanks, Slim. That's more what I was looking for as a reply - I watched one of the holiday football games on KG4 and Josh's TV and quite frankly didn't see the earth-shattering difference they were insisting was there. Of course, I have old eyes and I remember when TV changed from all black and white to one or two color broadcasts a week, so maybe I was expecting a similar kind of OMG moment.

;)

You can certainly tell the difference between SD and HD, but it's not THAT big a deal. Definitely not an "OMG, how did I ever watch TV without this?" kind of a difference.
i totally agree. the odd thing for me though is that growing up, and even up to a few years back, i never thought that SD looked that bad.

Thanks, Slim. That's more what I was looking for as a reply - I watched one of the holiday football games on KG4 and Josh's TV and quite frankly didn't see the earth-shattering difference they were insisting was there. Of course, I have old eyes and I remember when TV changed from all black and white to one or two color broadcasts a week, so maybe I was expecting a similar kind of OMG moment.

;)
Ahhhh... if you are thinking of that kind of difference then .... NO!

I actually broke down and gave myself a modest size HDTV for Christmas. A big deal for me since I'd had my perfectly well-functioning basic TV for 15+ years. The big HDTV is nice, partly because I have old eyes. :p

It is however, annoying to watch a show that isn't being broadcast in HD. Noticeably unsharp.

Oh no...not gonna buy that one. The Celtics deserved to win...and they did. Whining about choking some 25 years after the fact is just silly. The better team didn't lose.

Haha, I don't buy it from RKid either. Telling me that the 80s Celtics was a team thats not suppose to win championships? :cool:

kobe choked in game 3 for sure. He played very poorly in the 4th in game 4. No question about that. Only fanboy media and laker fans will still call him MVP even after the choke job and 11 for 31 shooting nights.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Continuing the off-topic discussion - I have a 56" HDTV and SD Dish Network and while yes, the picture quality isn't what I get from my Blu-Ray player, it really isn't THAT bad that I have felt the need to switch considering the additional cost. Would it be nice? Yes. Required? No. This is probably attributable to the good upconverting capabilities of my TV itself.

BTW, the upconverted picture of standard DVDs (of high picture quality films) on my Panasonic BD60 Blu-Ray player is awesome. While not *quite* as good as BR, the improvement in PQ over my previous upconverting DVD player is significant. In fact, I have actually bought a couple movies in SD DVD format because the price difference for those films in the DVD/BR formats (films I wanted buy not among my "favorites") was too significant for the PQ improvement I would get by spending over twice as much for the film on BR. :D

And would you be so kind to explain how Kobe's elbow before the game winning shot was within the rules ? Or how Kobe intentionally swinging elbows in Howard's face is not a technical ? The foul disparity maybe had to something with the fact that the Lakers were riding on top of Howard all game long every time he touched the ball in the post.
I would not try to explain that it's within the rules, but I would point out that if Dwight Eisenhoward is good enough to dislodge and hook with his elbows for 4 games, I'm going to brazenly suggest that anyone upset w/ the non-call get over it in light of a batty 17-0 FTA differential in the 4th (you're familiar with those feelings) and my entire front line being given 2 fouls in the 1st. They got PLENTY of help and have no room to whine afaic.

;)
You know, when you see it for the first few times, it's nice, and you say, maybe I'll think about upgrading, and then you forget about it. But if you actually do the upgrade to full HD, after a week or so, you get so used to high quality picture that you just can't go back. After a while, you stop watching non-HD broadcasts altogether, because they are so inferior in your mind.

Slim's right, it won't make a bad game good, it won't make the Kings a 50 win team, but it's a superior way to watch TV, especially sports.

I would not try to explain that it's within the rules, but I would point out that if Dwight Eisenhoward is good enough to dislodge and hook with his elbows for 4 games, I'm going to brazenly suggest that anyone upset w/ the non-call get over it in light of a batty 17-0 FTA differential in the 4th (you're familiar with those feelings) and my entire front line being given 2 fouls in the 1st. They got PLENTY of help and have no room to whine afaic.
Still doesn't excuse a deliberately thrown elbow to the face. All the other bad/missed calls aside, that should have been called.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Still doesn't excuse a deliberately thrown elbow to the face. All the other bad/missed calls aside, that should have been called.
Exactly. I don't care how many other calls were made erroneously, missed, etc. When you see something as flagrant as what Kobe did, there should be no mistaking it for what it is. And when it's not the first time it's happened, it just adds fuel to the flames.

Everything else aside, an elbow to the face is a flagrant foul. It should have been called.

It seemed like it was in the act of passing, but yes should have been a foul. Nelson himself said he didn't think it was intentional. AND i think Rkid's whole point was in response to peter_gibbons saying that Magic did not choke, not that they shouldn't have won. Gee.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It seemed like it was in the act of passing, but yes should have been a foul. Nelson himself said he didn't think it was intentional. AND i think Rkid's whole point was in response to peter_gibbons saying that Magic did not choke, not that they shouldn't have won. Gee.
RKid - a young entusiastic and somewhat rabid Laker fan - said:

Yes Magic did Choke. The Lakers should have won the finals in 84 but Magic Johnson and choked game 2 in Boston and LA went on to choke game 4. That year the better team lost.
He was clearly referring to Magic Johnson and the Lakers and their loss to the Celtics in 1984. His last sentence says that in his opinion the better team lost.

My response was that whining about Magic Johnson and the Lakers choking diminshes - or attempts to - the team that was the 1984 Celtics. The Lakers were NOT the better team and trying to hang the loss on the "they were better but they choked" excuse is, was, and always will be pretty silly.

Yes and Yes. My point was that Magic Johnson did choke. But I also thought I throw it out there that the better team lost that year.:p
Your point is well taken, but I'm more of a purist, and the scoreboard shows the Celtics won. Therefore, they were the better team. In the finals you make your own luck, more than at any part of the playoffs. That's what the Lakers are doing so far in this series, along with their added playoff experience.

My response was that whining about Magic Johnson and the Lakers choking diminshes - or attempts to - the team that was the 1984 Celtics. The Lakers were NOT the better team and trying to hang the loss on the "they were better but they choked" excuse is, was, and always will be pretty silly.
The Lakers had Boston beaten on speed, to which they admit. Many of the old heads will drone about Worthy like Laker fans drone about McHale. But the two teams were comparable in talent, maybe LA was marginally better overall at best. They weren't that much better than Boston that they couldn't get hurt by even the smallest mistakes, so who was better was largely moot. To LA's credit, the principal chokers (Riles, Magic, Worthy) all admitted to it, tipped their hats to a VERY unfriendly opponent, and wanted to get to 1985 as bad as Marty McFly. <-- Such is the life of a team that loses in the Finals, Orlando, you're not experiencing anything new, even LA and Boston know the pain.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I wonder how much of LA the "fans" will destroy tonight...

:rolleyes:

I'm truly glad I'm busy watching "Jesse James is a Dead Man." I haven't watched this series since the first game and I don't miss it at all...

And as far as feeling upset, I couldn't possibly care less.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
And as far as feeling upset, I couldn't possibly care less.

I'm with you, VF21. If I cared, I'd be watching the games. I have seen a total of about 20 minutes of the finals. And, I didn't watch the Western Conf finals either.

Anytime a team wins I feel happy for them. As a fan of the game I understand all the work and everything that the teams put in and I'm sure the feeling of all that paying off is a wonderful one, whether I support the team or not. I must admit that I particularly was rooting for the Lakers because it would be nice to see like Kobe win a ring without Shaq, Phil get the most wins etc etc. Now that it's over, it's all about the Kings again. GO KINGS

S

sactownfan

Hedo is a choker.... Webber is a choker... Peja is a choker... Orlando should save their money and get a better side kick for Superman... one similar to Bibby.... can't ever say he didn't do his part in the biggest games.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And those who predicted the correct number of games and outcome are:

AleksandarN, Arkitect, Capt. Factorial, Heuge, LoungeLizard, RKid, SacKings7.

As much as I dislike the Lakers and most of their fans (not all). I respect Kobe Bryant's game and although I didn't want to watch this game, I did. And I felt Kobe deserved this.

Congratulations to the Lakers, and hopefully we'll be there in a few years to compete against you.

You can argue all you want, I know I'm going to get crap for this. Just some respect.

To someone who has the time, I'd like to know the combined playoff experience the fakers played this year. It really couldn't have been a lot. Jazz barely have any, Rockets hadn't gotten out of the 1st round in 12 years or so, and the Nuggets hadn't reached the WCF in 25 years? Magic in 12 years as well. I don't think any player that played a significant amount of time against the fakers had playoff experience other then Chauncey Billups. Seems like the easiest road to the a championship in recent memory.

Can't wait to see all these bandwagon fans with their Laker flags flying from their cars tomorrow, the same people who probably weren't even following that team three years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.