[ORL/LAL] 2009 NBA Champions - Magic or Lakers?

Who will win and in how many games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
funny how all ex kings are getting rings these days...

jwill with the heat
pollard with the celts

i hope this is a sign that hedo will have his..

howard! dominate!!!

Cleveland's elimination was very anticlimactic--they were pegged midseason onwards to pretty much be in the Finals. Now that's no longer possible...

I think the Magic built some momentum and confidence beating the Cavs and Celtics--these were the two best East teams last year, and arguably two of the best this year. Their strategy of surrounding a dominating big with three point shooters is a real recipe for success--as Cleveland found it, it's just hard to guard everyone at once.

The Lakers stumbled their way through the last two series, but they gained some momentum with their last several games against Denver, and judging from their WCF trophy presentation they seemed like they were all on a mission. They're a very deep team on paper that doesn't always play up to its full potential due to bouts of laziness and going through the motions, but if they put their minds up to it (theoretically they should, since it's the biggest stage and many of them went through the embarassment of Celtics defeat last year) they should take this series from the Magic.

Granted, a lot of variables are in play--many matchups to look at, such as how Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol (the supposed "twin" towers) handle Dwight, although Bynum's been way off so it's a real enigma for the Lakers here. The Lakers couldn't handle Dwight early in the season, so I'd say the Magic got the better end of this one. Then there's the one with Mickael Pietrus and Courtney Lee--I thought they did as good a job as they could on Bron (of course LeBron still got his numbers), but I'd like to see how they handle Kobe. Then the Magic three point bombing and Dwight dunking--if things are clicking on all cylinders as the have with the Cavs, then it can be a real irritant on the Lakers, especially since the Lakers are prone to having defensive lapses.

But I do think the Lakers match up better than the Cavs--Ariza and Odom have the length and athleticism to crossmatch with Turkoglu and Lewis, and while Dwight should have his way with the Lakers, the Lakers still have height and length galore, so I don't think it's as easy a matchup as it was with Cleveland. And Rafer Alston and Derek Fisher sort of neutralize each other--I've never been a fan of Alston's decision making and unreliable jumper, and Fisher's having a bad playoffs. If Jameer Nelson were still playing he might turn the tide--he torched the Lakers, and Alston can't expose the Lakers' guard weakness. And Kobe should have good games where he wills the Lakers to victories.

So end of the day, I think the Magic will win several games by virtue of their threes and Dwight dominance, but the Lakers might have the greater motivation, willpower and talent level, while having fewer matchup problems than the Cavs. So I'd say the Lakers in 6 or 7. I like the Magic, but they seemed to come from lukewarm good team to suddenly respected when we're talking from the start of the season to now, and I just don't think they have quite the experience yet to pull this off...

Last edited:
i voted magic in 7. hopefully they can pull it off. i thought denver would bury the lakers but the refs again, lifted them outta the grave.

I didn't watch the Magic before the ECF so it could have been the matchup with the Cavs, but of all the teams to play in the ECF and WCF they look the strongest to me.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I beg to differ, for what it's worth. "...i thought denver would bury the lakers but the refs again, lifted them outta the grave..." does pretty much sound as though the OP feels the officials tilted the game for the Lakers.

And this whole "blame the officiating" thing has gotten beyond old, IMHO. Yes, there were some bad calls. Yes, there were some no-calls. But I certainly haven't seen anything this year that remotely resembles what we lived through in 2002. And if it doesn't meet or beat that, it's nothing to even talk about.

The Lakers dug deep and pulled out a win, most likely because they're the Lakers with a LOT of playoff experience and the Nuggets had to be suffering massive teamwide attacks of nerves, jittery stomachs, etc.

If anything, aamof, I saw a lot more calls on the Lakers I cannot remember seeing in years past.

But I certainly haven't seen anything this year that remotely resembles what we lived through in 2002. And if it doesn't meet or beat that, it's nothing to even talk about.
What??? That was maybe the worst officiated game of all time so your saying you shouldn't talk about officiating in any other game? If officiating is bad, it is right to call them out on it. Obviously it wasn't as bad as 2002 WCF, but that doesn't mean it couldn't have affected the series.

I'm not saying the officiating wasn't bad or that it was consistent. I'm saying that bad calls does not necessarily mean the league and David Stern are out to get the Lakers to the finals.

funny how all ex kings are getting rings these days...

jwill with the heat
pollard with the celts

i hope this is a sign that hedo will have his..

howard! dominate!!!
Anthony Johnson was a King for two stints and could win a ring too.

And these former Kings rode some mighty coat tails as well...

Eddie House '08 Celts
Tony Massenburg '05 Spurs
Corliss Williamson '04 Pistons
Mitch Richmond '02 Lakers
Randy Brown '98, '97, '96 Bulls
Joe Kleine '98 Bulls
Bill Wennington '98, '97, '96 Bulls
Pete Chilcutt '95 Rockets
Kenny Smith '95, '94 Rockets
Otis Thorpe '95, '94 Rockets
Rodney McCray '93 Bulls

Eddie House '08 Celts
Joe Kleine '98 Bulls
Rodney McCray '93 Bulls
Guess thats what we have a knack for doing ... winning championships. On other teams. Playing less than or mediocre roles.

Eddie House '08 Celts
Joe Kleine '98 Bulls
Rodney McCray '93 Bulls
Mixed feelings on Thorpe, he was a major cog. He only got 1 tho, (Drexler trade in 95).

Wedman comes to mind as a CT Cruiser.

ive seen dwight howards power moves in the paint.. but is it just me or is he taking 3 steps? i mean i know basic basketball that you take two steps take off.. but its like he was doing a running jump. bull rushing it inside... are his post moves legit? i mean no star treatment calls? i just dont like it if the lakers defend him by flopping... :mad:

ive seen dwight howards power moves in the paint.. but is it just me or is he taking 3 steps? i mean i know basic basketball that you take two steps take off.. but its like he was doing a running jump. bull rushing it inside... are his post moves legit? i mean no star treatment calls? i just dont like it if the lakers defend him by flopping... :mad:
Well, Dwight *is* coached by Patrick Ewing.

Magic need to go the Detroit route in this series. Win one of the first two, then try to hold court at home and win in 5. 2-3-2 is not friendly to the team without HCA.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Everything sets up for a Laker win. However, let me be clear. I will NEVER pick the Lakers to win. NEVER! NEVER! AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.

So, I'll take Magic in 6. :p

The Magic absolutely MUST win one of first two games in LA or they are likely finished off quick. The format of 2-3-2 favors the Lakers even more if the series is extended. Magic beat LA twice this season including at Staples so I think they can get a split to go back home 1-1. Then whoever wins 2 of 3 in Orlando has big leg up to win NBA championship, but even if the Magic pull that off LA still has advantage of home court. I like LA in 6 - I mean I hate LA in 6:mad:

ill take orlando in 7. lakers have the length to bother rashard and hedo but i still think those two will continue to make good decisions with the ball. the lakers still dont have an answer for howard. howard went against his toughest competition with perkins, big baby davis, sam d, ben wallace and occasionally anderson v. thats as physical as you're gona get in this league. if jameer nelson returns magic in 6.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The wording of the poll gave me the out - I can indicate the Lakers will win in 6, but still root with all my heart for Hedo and the Magic to prove me wrong.

GO MAGIC!

Everything sets up for a Laker win. However, let me be clear. I will NEVER pick the Lakers to win. NEVER! NEVER! AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.

So, I'll take Magic in 6. :p
Ditto! :D

The argument against there being a conspiracy is that if the league was tilting the outcomes, no way LeBron and the Cavs wouldn't be in the finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.