Opening night starting lineup worksheet

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
At this point I would be looking for the best 5 defenders on the team.

They are young and the system is failing besides that. They appear to be trying different things out but who knows what they eventually commit to. They are rebuilding, at this point defense doesn't exist. It's all about matching talent and productivity, defense comes later.

I was going to say that it's only temporary until Bogi gets back. But it's not even acceptable as a temporary fix.
If Buddy Hield wasn't on the team, fine, he's just a place-holder till we get Bogdan healthy. But when you have starting-caliber/verging on very good starter in Buddy waiting right there, it's beyond idiotic.

The Starter/Bench thing is nonsense and there's no statistical backing or even close to enough of a sample that shows Buddy can't be a starter.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I mean, the good news we're picking the 9 right guys to put in the rotation.

The bad news is starting Frank Mason is incredibly stupid.

#Kangz will never die.
The problem is that Buddy seems to prefer coming off the bench to the point that he instantly starts to suck the second we start him. It's bizarre and I've never quite seen anything like it but Buddy as a bench guy=all-star caliber player while Buddy as a starter = Mike Malone-era Marcus Thornton.

Well from what I see it more than likely will be like this
C- WCS
PF- Bagley
SF-Jackson
SG- Buddy
PG- Fox

A good chance it may resemble the fall behind by 10 points or more until the second team starts rolling in.
I really hope that I am wrong.

Point guard candidates: FOX, MASON, FERRELL.

I pick FOX.

Shooting guard candidates: BGDANOVIC, HIELD, SHUMPERT

I pick BOGDANOVIC.

Small forward candidates: BJELICA, JACKSN, BOGDANOVIC

I pick JACKSON.

Power forward AND Center canddates: CAULEY-STEIN, RANDOLF, KOUFOS, GILES, BAGLEY, LABISSIERE, BJELICA

My tough picks CAULEY-STEIN, GILES.

I’m sure if I started over again now I would come up with a different set of starters. I look forward to others views.
For shooting guard and small forward can i pick Bogdonovic twice?

It should be (since Bogdan is out):

PG - Fox
SG - Hield
SF - Bjelica
PF - Giles
C - Cauley-Stein

• Defensively, I could see Giles swapping with Bjelica depending on what SF/PF we’re going up against that night.
  • Spacing would be okay with Hield and Bjelica as very good 3pt shooters while Fox and Giles have shown some range from three as well.
  • Passing would be good all around as Bjelica, Giles, and Cauley-Stein are above avaerage for their positions.

Once Bogdan is back...
PG - Fox (32 min) / Ferrell (16 min)
SG - Hield (30 min) / Bogdan (18 min)
SF - Bogdan (12 min) / Bjelica (20 min) / Jackson (16 min)
PF - Giles (28 min) / Labissiere (14 min) / Bagley (6 min)
C - Cauley-Stein (28 min) / Bagley (20 min)

Fox - 32 min
Hield - 30 min
Bogdan - 30 min
Giles - 28 min
Cauley-Stein - 28 min
Bagley - 26 min
Bjelica - 20 min
Ferrell - 16 min
Jackson - 16 min
Labissiere - 14 min

We will start the season (with Bogdan out):

PF: Bagley / Giles
SF: Buddy (SG) / Beli / JJ
C: WCS / Skal / KK
SG: Fox (PG) / Shump
PG: Mason / Yogi

Once Bogdan gets back:

PF: Bagley / Giles
SF: Bogdan / Beli / JJ
C: WCS / Skal / KK
SG: Buddy / Yogi / Shump
PG: Fox / Mason

Last edited:
Really who the heck knows at this point but a couple thoughts:

Bagley and Willie both seem to operate most effectively around the lane. Fox, Bagley and Willie causes too much congestion where Fox wants to drive. Fox needs effective 3 point shooters on the floor for him to have room,

So I would start:
WCS backup Giles
Beli backup Bagley
Jackson —-> Bogi backup ???
Yogi backup Buddy
Fox backup Mason

I think we're gonna see the small guard lineup a lot. more than ben or shump getting heavy guard minutes. That will help set the pace for the season.

Bagley and WCS clearly the starting bigs. Fox the starting PG. Bogdan a definite starter when he's ready.

I would say Bjelly at SF, they might roll with Justin Jackson though you never know. Buddy in during Bogdans absence.

Edited
PG: 3-headed monster (Fox, Yogi & Mason), plus 2-small guards at PG and SG when we can get away with it.
SG: Bogi & Buddy, plus they can both get some minutes at other 1-3 positions, depending.
SF: Shump, with JJ getting backup minutes. I'm not thrilled about Shump, but if we can't pick up Winslow or McCaw, I think he would do the best job defensively, and lord knows we can use that.
PF: Giles & Beli
C: Willie & Bags
My 12th guy would be KK, but I just don't see him getting many minutes unless/until one of the other bigs gets hurt. Same goes for Skal, although I still think his biggest problem is confidence, which would suggest that playing big minutes in Stockton might be his immediate future.

Last edited:
PG: 3-headed monster (Fox, Yogi & Mason), plus 2-small guards at PG and SG when we can get away with it.
SG: Bogi & Buddy, plus they can both get some minutes at other 1-3 positions, depending.
SF: Shump, with JJ getting backup minutes. I'm not thrilled about Shump, but if we can't pick up Winslow or McCaw, I think he would do the best job defensively, and lord knows we can use that.
PF: Giles & Skal
C: Willie & Bags
My 12th guy would be KK, but I just don't see him getting many minutes unless/until one of the other bigs gets hurt.
Not sure how you left Beli out. He will be getting lots of minutes for sure.

I think we're gonna see the small guard lineup a lot. more than ben or shump getting heavy guard minutes. That will help set the pace for the season.

Bagley and WCS clearly the starting bigs. Fox the starting PG. Bogdan a definite starter when he's ready.

I would say Bjelly at SF, they might roll with Justin Jackson though you never know. Buddy in during Bogdans absence.
I think you are right but interested how it will work starting your 9th, 14th, and 15th players in 3 point percentage.

They are young and the system is failing besides that. They appear to be trying different things out but who knows what they eventually commit to. They are rebuilding, at this point defense doesn't exist. It's all about matching talent and productivity, defense comes later.
It all starts with defense. Anyone can learn to play it. It is how you win in the NBA.

We have seen the young guys lineup in action, and they have figured many different ways to lose games so far.
No leadership.
No veteran presence.
Overpowered by stronger players.
Weak defense especially inside.
Okay time to get serious. Give us some Kufous.
On a young team that is struggling, there is no such thing "as a lock" at any position.
Defense is the main thing young players coming from college lack. It is the first thing they need to learn.

Last edited:
IMO a couple of Vets in the starting five would help. So I insert Bjelly and Koufos along with Fox, Buddy and Bagley. The second group is my scrappy team. Those 5 need to get after it on D.

Fox/Mason
Buddy/Yogi
Bjelly/Wenyen/JJ
Bagley/WCS
Koufos/Giles

The problem is that Buddy seems to prefer coming off the bench to the point that he instantly starts to suck the second we start him. It's bizarre and I've never quite seen anything like it but Buddy as a bench guy=all-star caliber player while Buddy as a starter = Mike Malone-era Marcus Thornton.
This it in a nutshell.

For us to be legit. We need buddy to be a starter and slide bog to the 3. Its a ready made plan of attack and everything should be trending towards this.

Buddy has had a great offseason and you'd think any young talent kid would have set their sights on making that starting spot theres.... Not a peep from buddy though. He is happy as a 6th man who has the green light and his performances as a starter highlight this.

If i was coach, id have a strong word to him and let him dam well know that im pushing him out of his comfort zone and starting him and this needs to be new normal for him.

Buddy Hield cant be our 6th man if we ever want to be anywhere. That is what the Yogi and Frank Masons are for. Hell its not difficult finding a guard who can light it up off the bench. Jamal Crawford was unsigned until last week.

Someone needs to set a fire under Buddy.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I want the Kings' to pick up the Jazz players on defense in the back court right from the opening tip. Press them. Speed them up as much as possible. Make it tough just to get the ball in bounds. Guard guys Mitchell without the ball as much as possible. And please don't even think about guarding Mitchell with JJ. I would even consider going over screens on defending Rubio, because if you don't pressure the guy you make those lob passes extremely easy. Also, if you don't pressure Rubio, you just play into their hands - he will dictate the tempo of the game, which is the recipe for Kings' disaster. Trap when the opportunity presents itself. Play defense like you actually mean it. And don't wait until you're 20 points down to start doing the above. If you lose because they dribble drive through the pressure or back-door you successfully, then so be it. I'd rather go down all guns a blazing than with a freaking whimper. For heaven's sake, make the Jazz feel like they are at least in a competitive game instead of a scrimmage at the local Y.

And then when you get the defensive rebound or force a turnover - run!

One more try.

Then and now - Fox

Then - Bogdanovic
Now - Hield

Then and now - JJ

Then - Giles
Now - Bgleey

Then and now - Cauley-Stein

AND ..... it could be Yogi, Mason, Bjelica, Giles, Koufos, etc.