Minnesota Salary Dump

MIN Gets: Caleb Swanigan
MIN Gives: Wiggins, Dieng, Covington, #11, & 2020 MIN 1st (Unprotected)
Why for MIN? It clears $192 mil off of their books while giving them the cap space to retool around Towns before he becomes a UFA. They would have $40.5 mil in cap this offseason ($47.5 mil if they let Jones & Reynolds walk), and could make a play at Russell to pair him with his good friend, Towns. Who know, maybe Swanigan ups his value as well considering the only other bigs on the roster are Towns and Saric.

PG - Teague / Jones
SG - Okogie / Reynolds
SF - Bates-Diop
PF - Saric / Swanigan
C - Towns

SAC Gets: Wiggins, Dieng, Covington, #11, & 2020 MIN 1st (Unprotected)
SAC Gives: Caleb Swanigan
Why for SAC? Barnes opted out and could up & leave, or he could be offered a contract that's not worth his value. Covington (although older) is a better player than Barnes and would be at a bargain price. #11 & the 2020 MIN 1st give the Kings a couple of other good young assets to continue to build out their young core (Fox, Hield, Bogdanovic, Bagley, Giles, #11, 2020 SAC 1st, & 2020 MIN 1st). Wiggins is obviously a lot to swallow but their rookie contracts make it easier, and perhaps he becomes an effective (albeit overpaid) player off the bench who flourishes in the fast paced system. Dieng is overpaid as well, but he would be a decent short term fit next to Bagley with his size, shooting, and defense.

PG - Fox / Ferrell / Mason
SG - Hield / Bogdanovic
SF - Covington / Wiggins
PF - Bagley / Bjelica
C - Dieng / Giles
#11, #40, #47, & #60

-----------------------------------------------

Trade #11/#47 for #14/#20
Take Bol Bol at #14
Take Kabengele at #20
Take the best wing available at #40 (Bazley, Okpala, Windler, Samanic, Roby, McDaniels, King, Jeffries)
Take a euro stash at #60
We'd have ~$5 mil in cap space if we waive Mason
I'd look to sign a guy like Tyus Jones at backup PG with the remaining money.
Use the room exception to sign a veteran wing mentor (V. Carter, Sefolosha, Brewer, Dudley, Temple, Shumpert)

PG - Fox / Jones / Ferrell
SG - Hield / Bogdanovic / V. Carter
SF - Covington / Wiggins / Roby
PF - Bagley / Giles / Bjelica
C - Dieng / Bol Bol / Kabengele

Or the deal could be as follows if we can sign Barnes to $76.25 mil deal over 4 years (or less)...

MIN Gets: Caleb Swanigan
MIN Gives: Wiggins, Dieng,#11, 2020 MIN 1st (Unprotected), & 2022 MIN 1st (Unprotected)
Why for MIN? They'd still be able to offer Russell a max contract but they get to keep a great win now piece in Covington. They'd also be able to max another player next offseason to add to Russell/Covington/Towns.

PG - Teague / Jones
SG - Okogie / Reynolds
SF - Covington / Bates-Diop
PF - Saric / Swanigan
C - Towns

SAC Gets: Wiggins, Dieng, #11, 2020 MIN 1st (Unprotected), & 2022 MIN 1st (Unprotected)
SAC Gives: Caleb Swanigan
Why for SAC? We sign Barnes so we'd still have a solid starter at SF to help the team now. He's not as good as Covington, but he's younger so perhaps the long term fit is better overall. In exchange for not receiving Covington, we'd get yet another unprotected 1st round pick. That's quite the asset collection: Fox, Hield, Bogdanovic, Barnes, Bagley, Giles, #11, 2020 SAC 1st, 2020 MIN 1st, 2021 SAC 1st, 2022 SAC 1st, & 2022 MIN 1st.

PG - Fox / Ferrell / Mason
SG - Hield / Bogdanovic
SF - Barnes / Wiggins
PF - Bagley / Bjelica
C - Dieng / Giles
#11, #40, #47, & #60

You know more about the payroll side of things than I do but I don't think you can do those trades since the salaries are a million miles apart.

I don't want Wiggins anywhere near this team. He is a negative player meaning you'd be paying him a lot of money to make your team worse. He's worth absolutely nothing IMO. I wouldn't even take him for free.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I wouldn't want to see Barnes off the team but getting Bol is tempting. This workout vid makes Porzingis look like a scrub in the one he did.

In a great draft he's worth the gamble. Plus he did play some in college and all he did was put up 20, 10, with about 3 blocks and shot 50% from 3. Some mocks have this kid going in the 20's. No way.

Just can't do it. Not enough to take on Wiggins, a negative player who is getting franchise player money for the next FOUR years. I don't even know what you're hoping for him to be at this point, but you just can't punt 25-30% of your cap for 4 seasons, even if you're getting 3 1st round picks.

You know more about the payroll side of things than I do but I don't think you can do those trades since the salaries are a million miles apart.
We'd have the cap space to absorb those deals. It shouldn't be an issue.

I don't want Wiggins anywhere near this team. He is a negative player meaning you'd be paying him a lot of money to make your team worse. He's worth absolutely nothing IMO. I wouldn't even take him for free.
I think you're missing the point...

The point of the trade is not to acquire Wiggins. The point of the trade is to acquire Covington/#11/2020 MIN 1st (Unprotected) or #11/2020 MIN 1st (Unprotected)/2022 MIN 1st (Unprotected) and the price we have to pay is Wiggins.

Wiggins is not worth his contract. Everyone knows and understands that. Nobody would take him for free and should they. As you can see, I didn't put him on a pedestal and say "he's a diamond in the rough." His career has been disappointing. Plain & simple.

Having said that, I don't think he necessarily makes a team worse on the floor. It depends on the role you're looking for him to fill. I'm sure he's better than a lot of 5-10 mpg bench players in the NBA, but he's also a lot worse than a large majority of the people who start and play 35+ mpg. The point is there's a middle ground where he should be able to help the team on the floor (despite his contract hurting our abilities to use cap space in the future). This is why I talked about him coming off the bench.

I wouldn't want to see Barnes off the team but getting Bol is tempting. This workout vid makes Porzingis look like a scrub in the one he did.

In a great draft he's worth the gamble. Plus he did play some in college and all he did was put up 20, 10, with about 3 blocks and shot 50% from 3. Some mocks have this kid going in the 20's. No way.
Drafting Bol Bol doesn't mean Barnes is off the team. There's plenty of ways to end up with a 1st round pick while keeping Barnes.

Just can't do it. Not enough to take on Wiggins, a negative player who is getting franchise player money for the next FOUR years. I don't even know what you're hoping for him to be at this point, but you just can't punt 25-30% of your cap for 4 seasons, even if you're getting 3 1st round picks.
I don't think you can expect him to be anything other than a bench player who could give you a bit of a scoring punch. Yeah, he's expensive, but you're getting great compensation for it. You may have to trade one of our young guys, but that's okay. We're going to have Fox, Hield, Bogdanovic, Barnes, Giles, Bagley, Bol Bol, Kabengele, 2020 MIN 1st, 2020 SAC 1st, 2021 SAC 1st, 2022 MIN 1st, and 2022 SAC 1st as assets that can be consolidates into star players down the road.