Open mouth; Insert Foot - Buddy Hield Edition

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
If you want a guy traded, ***** and moan over social media and say how he's a horrible player and bad guy continuously. Eventually the guy will want out as much as the fans want him out. If I were Buddy, I'd want out. I might even want out if I'm Bagley.
This is a great plan. This is exactly what the reputation of Sacramento needs to be: A small town with a history of failure AND an entitled fanbase that chases players out of town for anything less than perfection. Guys, if we keep this up, ALL THE FREE AGENTS WILL WANT TO SIGN HERE, AND AT DISCOUNT PRICE!! CHASE EVERYBODY OUT OF TOWN NOW, THIS WILL WORK!!!

This is a great plan. This is exactly what the reputation of Sacramento needs to be: A small town with a history of failure AND an entitled fanbase that chases players out of town for anything less than perfection. Guys, if we keep this up, ALL THE FREE AGENTS WILL WANT TO SIGN HERE, AND AT DISCOUNT PRICE!! CHASE EVERYBODY OUT OF TOWN NOW, THIS WILL WORK!!!
No kidding. Right now, the media is just setting Buddy up left and right. He's going to speak his mind, so you'll get a click bait quote. There is a reason that NY, LA style media doesn't work in small towns. The market isn't worth the headaches for players with these tactics.

Not saying the media or fans need to sugarcoat or coverup for anything. But setting guys up, intentionally quoting out of context, and berating your leading scorer on social media because he's had a subpar year for himself is just shooting yourself in the foot if all you want is success.

The media shouldn't be trying to bait him but the fans have every right to speak their minds.

Buddy's comment should have been something more like "Have you seen the way we've been playing this year? I'd be booing us too if I were them. We need to figure this out and turn this thing around because the fans of Sacramento deserve better than this".

That should have been his comment. The fans have spent a lot of time and money on the Kings and have gotten very little in return the last decade plus. Apparently we should just all be like this meme so we don't upset our poor multi million dollar players that can't even play .500 ball.

The media shouldn't be trying to bait him but the fans have every right to speak their minds.

Buddy's comment should have been something more like "Have you seen the way we've been playing this year? I'd be booing us too if I were them. We need to figure this out and turn this thing around because the fans of Sacramento deserve better than this".

That should have been his comment. The fans have spent a lot of time and money on the Kings and have gotten very little in return the last decade plus. Apparently we should just all be like this meme so we don't upset our poor multi million dollar players that can't even play .500 ball.

I mean, sure. This is the often used argument and that's fine. However, this particular multi million dollar player has not been around for the last 13+ years sabotaging the team. How fans spend their time and money is a choice that is a concern for ownership and management. Not for players to resolve.

Last edited:
May not like what Hield is saying or how he says it, but is he wrong? On one hand fans want to hold him responsible for how THEY want him to play. He needs to pay attention to their needs. On the other hand, fans think he should grow up and not react to what fans are saying. What's a man to do.

I think Buddy did say I’d boo us too at one point. I’m guessing this season is wearing on everyone.

A player is booed and says something else than "I love this team and thes fans even though they boo me" --> F**k that player he is a piece of sh*t fans have every right to boo.

Gm/Fo make horrible mistakes that have been really costly and some fans critizice him--> f*ck you, you arent a real fan go somewhere else with your negativity.

E: The Gm made Buddy overpaid, its not Buddys fault he cant contribute to his contract hes always shown low BBIQ, bad defense, bad ball handling and awesome shooting. At least he plays hard and tries. The amount of criticism that goes to a player that doesnt say exactly the meaningless "I love the city and the fans" phrases compared to how tabu it is to criticize the gm/fo even if they have made some franchise altering mistakes is just confusing

Last edited:
I mean, sure. This is the often used argument and that's fine. However, this particular multi million dollar player has not been around for the last 13+ years sabotaging the team. How fans spend their time and money is a choice that is a concern for ownership and management. Not for players to resolve.
These players are making millions of dollars a year to play a game because of us, so yeah, they should be spending every waking moment they have thanking us fans for giving them this life of luxury to play a game. We give you money to play the game and entertain us by winning. If you can collect and spend our money then you better have a damn good explanation for why you aren't entertaining us and if you don't have a good explanation, then at least be straight up with us about it.

If you sign here in Sacramento, you better damn well know that there's 13+ years of pent up frustration from the fans. Any player coming here should have a chip on their shoulder to get Sacramento back into the playoffs. To be the guy that ends that drought. You don't come here, sign a fat contract, play poorly to the tune of being 11 games under .500 and then act like "Sacramento fans are just like that" if we're not happy with the on court production you're giving us. That's not Sacramento fans. That's sports fans and we in Sacramento have been more patient than any other fan base in all of American sports. Buddy should know this better than just about anyone.

These players are making millions of dollars a year to play a game because of us, so yeah, they should be spending every waking moment they have thanking us fans for giving them this life of luxury to play a game. We give you money to play the game and entertain us by winning. If you can collect and spend our money then you better have a damn good explanation for why you aren't entertaining us and if you don't have a good explanation, then at least be straight up with us about it.

If you sign here in Sacramento, you better damn well know that there's 13+ years of pent up frustration from the fans. Any player coming here should have a chip on their shoulder to get Sacramento back into the playoffs. To be the guy that ends that drought. You don't come here, sign a fat contract, play poorly to the tune of being 11 games under .500 and then act like "Sacramento fans are just like that" if we're not happy with the on court production you're giving us. That's not Sacramento fans. That's sports fans and we in Sacramento have been more patient than any other fan base in all of American sports. Buddy should know this better than just about anyone.
Fans are not buying ownership of players with their money. Fans line the team owners pockets. The owners divvy out the money to GMs and players as they see fit. It's not required to spend money on the team. It's not like taxes. So you're getting something out of it or you wouldn't be here.

Buddy himself, in that very interview, said fans have a right to boo. So I don't know what you're arguing with that point.

Fans are not buying ownership of players with their money. Fans line the team owners pockets. The owners divvy out the money to GMs and players as they see fit. It's not required to spend money on the team. It's not like taxes. So you're getting something out of it or you wouldn't be here.

Buddy himself, in that very interview, said fans have a right to boo. So I don't know what you're arguing with that point.
The money goes from our pockets to the player's pockets. Nuff said.

Buddy's head is so far gone, he's now as dumb off the court as he is on the court. The last thing in the world he should be complaining about is us fans. Complain about your drop in offensive output or your terrible defense or how your coach isn't playing to your strengths. But don't make passive aggressive jabs at the fans as if booing a top paid player on the team for not playing anywhere near up to his contract as just something that "Sacramento fans" do.

I just think he's proving to be an idiot and it shows where his head is at. If anything, it's just another reason why this guy shouldn't be part of the plan going forward. How can you improve as a player if you don't take accountability for your weaknesses? Last year it was "Oh man I gotta really work on my defense because that's the thing I need to improve the most" and this year it's "Everyone gets scored on". That's the difference in the Buddy we thought we had here and the Buddy that got paid.

Fans don't boo when you play well. Ask Richaun Holmes.

At this point, barring any major changes in the front office, I'd say we should turn Hield back into more of a catch-and-shoot with hustle kind of guy and shop him around, start Bogi when he's back from injury, and trade Hield for hopefully a few pieces of bench back-ups who can come in and inject some energy on both ends of the floor.

(Although, with the owner so deeply in love with him, I doubt it'd be easy to convince him to go for it)

The money goes from our pockets to the player's pockets. Nuff said.

Buddy's head is so far gone, he's now as dumb off the court as he is on the court. The last thing in the world he should be complaining about is us fans. Complain about your drop in offensive output or your terrible defense or how your coach isn't playing to your strengths. But don't make passive aggressive jabs at the fans as if booing a top paid player on the team for not playing anywhere near up to his contract as just something that "Sacramento fans" do.

I just think he's proving to be an idiot and it shows where his head is at. If anything, it's just another reason why this guy shouldn't be part of the plan going forward. How can you improve as a player if you don't take accountability for your weaknesses? Last year it was "Oh man I gotta really work on my defense because that's the thing I need to improve the most" and this year it's "Everyone gets scored on". That's the difference in the Buddy we thought we had here and the Buddy that got paid.

Fans don't boo when you play well. Ask Richaun Holmes.
I'm not sure he was complaining as much as he was directly asked how he feels about fans booing and he said he understands and he would boo too, but it doesn't phase him. It's not like he went out of his way to say the fans shouldn't be booing. Also the everyone gets scored on comment was made in a specific context about him wanting to be on the floor to help when the team was underhanded and struggling to score and losing the game (and we did not win that game, mind you). It was not a general comment about unwillingness to work on defense because everyone gets scored on. His defense while still weak has shown slight improvement since the sitdown with the coaches.

I don't know, I don't claim to be unbiased myself but I honestly feel that Buddy's media comments alone are really not that offensive if you take them in context and give him the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps watch the full videos rather than relying on one liner tweets that frame your mindset before listening to the whole thing. If you listen to them with a perspective of trying to find fault you will no doubt as a fan be rubbed the wrong way, but I think that's just how Buddy speaks and deals with adversity. Is it the most mature way to handle things or say things, no, and therein I agree with VF that maybe he just needs to stop talking. But he's always been a guy who wears his heart on his sleeve.

Be careful, last time someone suggested something along those lines he became the most disliked player on the team.
Well if I was a player I wouldn’t be saying that I’d be saying how great the city is not that people wouldn’t come here. And if I was said player I’d go work on my game and stop being so mediocre

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
He's not wrong. Sacramento Kings fans pride themselves on being passionate but that cuts both ways. It's always the same story... as soon as someone signs a big contract here they get put under a microscope and everything they do and say gets blown way out of proportion. I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking that it's not worth the trouble. Even Dave seems to think fans have some kind of diplomatic immunity just cause they show up. I don't go for that. That's fake tough nonsense.

Buddy makes a lot of mistakes but he plays hard. The money part is irrelevant to me. I respect anyone who plays hard and what kind of a message does it send when you boo a guy on your own team cause he's having a bad game? As long as he's playing for Sacramento my only job as a fan is to pick him up. Tough game but you'll play better next time my man. Or do the last 3 and a half years no longer matter to people?

He's not wrong. Sacramento Kings fans pride themselves on being passionate but that cuts both ways. It's always the same story... as soon as someone signs a big contract here they get put under a microscope and everything they do and say gets blown way out of proportion. I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking that it's not worth the trouble. Even Dave seems to think fans have some kind of diplomatic immunity just cause they show up. I don't go for that. That's fake tough nonsense.

Buddy makes a lot of mistakes but he plays hard. The money part is irrelevant to me. I respect anyone who plays hard and what kind of a message does it send when you boo a guy on your own team cause he's having a bad game? As long as he's playing for Sacramento my only job as a fan is to pick him up. Tough game but you'll play better next time my man. Or do the last 3 and a half years no longer matter to people?
I have not seen or heard a thing in the media about Harrison Barnes other than me saying he's not worth the money and the 2nd coming of Jeff Green on the forum......Harrison stays quiet unlike Buddy/Dedmon and last year WCS.

Also the whole money/how much a player makes is irrelevant is an insane argument, that kills any chances of becoming anything more than at best a treadmill/non play-off team e.g Charlotte paying the likes of Batum/MKG/Zeller tons of money but hey at least they play hard.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'm not a Buddy Hield fan now and I wasn't when he was traded for Cousins but he is a King so I root for him to succeed as long as he wears Sacramento on his chest. With that being said, he is this year's Willie where every thing he does will be under a microscope because of his openness to talk to the media and the fat extension he just signed. As a fan, we have every right to criticize his play when he isn't performing up to standards and let's be honest, he hasn't. I think that falls on the coaching staff asking him to do more than he is able to and I'd hope after this season is over that the coaching staff can put Hield into a position to better succeed as a King heading into the 2020-2021 season.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Curious as to why the game thread was locked and this one is still open?
The game thread had turned into yet another place to talk draft, Luka, Vlade, etc. This thread is still somewhat on topic. We generally do close game threads at some point after the game regardless.