Open mouth; Insert Foot - Buddy Hield Edition

I really hope this post doesn't get buried in the other sub-text.

You make some good points that even I, a frequent critic of Buddy, don't always remember. I just wish people could make these comments without the constant need to drag Doncic into the discussion even tangentially.
It was 2 posts in the context of the thread. Nothing got derailed.

No one should take a headline as being the whole story. Headlines are meant to get you to read the story. If you read the headline and commented on the story without reading it then that is your bad.

As far as this season goes, we fired our coach and halted any progress from the past two years. The players are learning what is now expected of then. Weather Heild played lights out in a contract year or he is not sure of himself in a new system is the question. We can only wait and see. We cant change direction AGAIN. I hope we get a good pick at this point.

Fox is awesome but we need another of his caliber. We need someone who knows talent. At this point my number one priority is picking someone with tremendous drive. Who will want to be the best even after he gets paid.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Buddy has the BBIQ of a brick!!! It's not perception when I see him making the same mistake over and over and over again. The casual pass that never reaches its target. The impossible pass in traffic that never had a chance. The one on three fast break without the pass to a teammate. The drive to the basket in traffic and throwing up a wild shot with no chance. And that's not even mentioning the contested three's after dribbling away most of the shot clock.

And I might add, a lot of these things happen at the most inopportune times. Like when the Kings are making a comeback run. A lot of these things were tolerable when he was shooting 42% from the three, and when he started to limit those mistakes in the second half of last season. But this season, Walton, asked him to become more of a play maker. My first thought was, WHY? There's nothing worse in any sport than a player who thinks he.s better than he is. And worse than that, is to encourage him to believe that.

Nope, the criticism of Buddy is warranted, and as I stated in a different thread, if I were going to trade someone, it would be Buddy, not Bogi.
Yes, a thousand times. It seems that 8 out of 10 times that Buddy dribbles the ball in the half court it is because he doesn't know what to do with the ball. It's a default mechanism in which he dribbles, usually going nowhere, while he "figures out" what to do with the ball. If I'm an opposing coach or defender I just love it when he puts the ball on the floor in those situations. It sure would be nice if he could learn one simple thing - catch the ball, pass the ball, cut to the basket; don't dribble! It's so frustrating watching him.

The only thing I can figure out with Walton enlarging Buddy's role was that it was due to Fox being out for an extended period and he couldn't have Cojo doing it all. Bogs has been injured or playing injured for the majority of the season, so he wanted to see if Hield could handle it. He obviously can't. I think that both Walton & Divac think that longer term they need more than just Fox to handle the ball. As it stands now, it looks to me that they haven't found that guy yet because of Hield's inability and Bogs' penchant for injury.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Yes, a thousand times. It seems that 8 out of 10 times that Buddy dribbles the ball in the half court it is because he doesn't know what to do with the ball. It's a default mechanism in which he dribbles, usually going nowhere, while he "figures out" what to do with the ball. If I'm an opposing coach or defender I just love it when he puts the ball on the floor in those situations. It sure would be nice if he could learn one simple thing - catch the ball, pass the ball, cut to the basket; don't dribble! It's so frustrating watching him.

The only thing I can figure out with Walton enlarging Buddy's role was that it was due to Fox being out for an extended period and he couldn't have Cojo doing it all. Bogs has been injured or playing injured for the majority of the season, so he wanted to see if Hield could handle it. He obviously can't. I think that both Walton & Divac think that longer term they need more than just Fox to handle the ball. As it stands now, it looks to me that they haven't found that guy yet because of Hield's inability and Bogs' penchant for injury.
Well, they do have another ball handler who played a lot more minutes last season, but who only makes an occasional appearance this year in Yogi. I know he's undersized for the position, but I don't think he's quite the defensive liability he's perceived to be. He's a better playmaker than Joseph, and a better ball handler than Buddy. He certainly puts out the effort defensively. If only he were 6'3".

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Well, they do have another ball handler who played a lot more minutes last season, but who only makes an occasional appearance this year in Yogi. I know he's undersized for the position, but I don't think he's quite the defensive liability he's perceived to be. He's a better playmaker than Joseph, and a better ball handler than Buddy. He certainly puts out the effort defensively. If only he were 6'3".
Yes, I'd rather have him handle the ball than Hield, no doubt.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
No one should take a headline as being the whole story. Headlines are meant to get you to read the story. If you read the headline and commented on the story without reading it then that is your bad.
While that's true about headlines, this all started because of a tweet by Jon Wilson that had no story linked with it. Only when more responsible reporters posted links and audio did the full story come out.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I really hope this post doesn't get buried in the other sub-text.

You make some good points that even I, a frequent critic of Buddy, don't always remember. I just wish people could make these comments without the constant need to drag Doncic into the discussion even tangentially.
I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes here, sometimes I just can't help myself. It's too funny not to mention it. But I only think it's relevant in this discussion because the Luke Walton system has compounded all of Buddy's weaknesses and shoved them to the forefront and the reason for that is that it appears to be the type of offense which relies on having multiple gifted playmakers on the floor simultaneously. The other big storyline that's come out of this season so far, with Marvin Bagley and Dewayne Dedmon getting moved to the bench, is that all our personnel decisions appear to have been made with the assumption that Luke would step in and basically be a kinder, gentler version of Dave Joerger without changing the core philosophy of the team and in actuality he's re-set the playing field completely. We've just signed Buddy and Barnes to big contracts and based on the early returns this season you have to question if they're even essential pieces anymore. That's a massive letdown after a mostly positive year last year and I can't help but wonder with another lotto pick looming on the horizon who is going to be replaced in the rotation in favor of our next "franchise savior"?

I'd happily trade everybody at this point for a stable front office and an expanded scouting department. I feel like we can win here with a revolving cast of veteran journeymen and reclamation projects but only if we find a system that works and make that the thing rather than chasing our own tail wherever the talent leads us. That's the big picture point I'm trying to make.

I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes here, sometimes I just can't help myself. It's too funny not to mention it. But I only think it's relevant in this discussion because the Luke Walton system has compounded all of Buddy's weaknesses and shoved them to the forefront and the reason for that is that it appears to be the type of offense which relies on having multiple gifted playmakers on the floor simultaneously. The other big storyline that's come out of this season so far, with Marvin Bagley and Dewayne Dedmon getting moved to the bench, is that all our personnel decisions appear to have been made with the assumption that Luke would step in and basically be a kinder, gentler version of Dave Joerger without changing the core philosophy of the team and in actuality he's re-set the playing field completely. We've just signed Buddy and Barnes to big contracts and based on the early returns this season you have to question if they're even essential pieces anymore. That's a massive letdown after a mostly positive year last year and I can't help but wonder with another lotto pick looming on the horizon who is going to be replaced in the rotation in favor of our next "franchise savior"?

I'd happily trade everybody at this point for a stable front office and an expanded scouting department. I feel like we can win here with a revolving cast of veteran journeymen and reclamation projects but only if we find a system that works and make that the thing rather than chasing our own tail wherever the talent leads us. That's the big picture point I'm trying to make.
His system has basically burned Hield and Bagley. 2 of what should be our best 3 players. I can't blame him for Dedmon. It's not his fault Dedmon can't throw an entry pass or hit the broad side of a barn from outside. Vlade should be gladly taking any trade offer that involves an expiring contract just to get out from under him.

I'm tired of Hield talking but I'm giving him a pass on his play because as you said, Walton's basically shoving all of Buddy's weaknesses to the forefront. It's as if Walton thought Buddy's ball handling was this hidden gem that no one other than he knew about.

I'm just really jealous of OKC right now. They basically rebuilt with some young talented players, some veterans and a whole wad of first round picks. They're not only going to be in the playoffs for a while, but they're going to rebuild at the same time and just get better and better. Meanwhile here we are in the same old predicament as always.

His system has basically burned Hield and Bagley. 2 of what should be our best 3 players. I can't blame him for Dedmon. It's not his fault Dedmon can't throw an entry pass or hit the broad side of a barn from outside. Vlade should be gladly taking any trade offer that involves an expiring contract just to get out from under him.

I'm tired of Hield talking but I'm giving him a pass on his play because as you said, Walton's basically shoving all of Buddy's weaknesses to the forefront. It's as if Walton thought Buddy's ball handling was this hidden gem that no one other than he knew about.

I'm just really jealous of OKC right now. They basically rebuilt with some young talented players, some veterans and a whole wad of first round picks. They're not only going to be in the playoffs for a while, but they're going to rebuild at the same time and just get better and better. Meanwhile here we are in the same old predicament as always.
Not only that, Gallinari has some serious trade value so they might stock up even more on picks and talent. He's a great piece for a contender AND his expensive contract is expiring after the year. They've got a great young team with SGA, Adams, Schroder and to an extent, Noel.

I hate admiring another team but I'm just so tired of the same old Kings carousel.