Ongoing saga of Luc Mbah a Moute (merged)

Even if Luc can play some defense, do we really need 4 SFs?

I guess if we play Gay a lot at the 4 then we play Omri (Run n gun), Butler (shooting) or Luc (Defense) depending on what we need at the time.

Yeah lots of flexible SF , would be nice to combine all 3 SF into one player OmButLuc LOL
Yes we can close games going small and Luc guarding the opposing scorer.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sounds like an all but done deal? I love this roster. Stacked in so many different ways....we're going to see everything this season
And yet there's not a whisper of anything definitive by anyone not named Jason Jones. Things that make you go hmmmmmm...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Haven't seen the numbers yet but I like this move. Have no idea where he fits in the rotation but having another versatile defender on the roster is always a good thing. Last spot is likely a 3rd pg, another shooter or a true big.

Sean Cunningham ‏@News10Sean 43m43 minutes ago
Kinda flew under the radar, but spoke to Luc Mbah a Moute about returning to the Kings - he's thrilled to be back and healthy.

Aaron Ornelas ‏@biggyaaron 33m33 minutes ago
@News10Sean so is he signed or is it still sources say

Sean Cunningham ‏@News10Sean 5m5 minutes ago
@biggyaaron it's done. he's back
I think they have to do the signings in a particular order right now to make the money fit right. Same reason we didn't see Caron signing a contract today.

I think they have to do the signings in a particular order right now to make the money fit right. Same reason we didn't see Caron signing a contract today.
I'm curious if Luc is another vet min that needs to wait, what are we planning on doing with the big chunk. Not sure we have the roster space to split it which would mean one guy at 4-5M. Only so many guys left on the market that demand that kind of money. Josh Smith, JR Smith, maybe Seraphim. Anyone else? Could also take on a traded player with the space.

Letting D-Will walk and bringing LRMAM back really speaks to where the mindset of the basketball team is. Love it.
Not too often to get a chance to reverse a mistake like this,....but here we are.

Another culture glue move. Man this has been something to behold. We are now the darkhorse that can do damage

I really think we need a big man who can score off the bench. I like Luc but outside of Cousins I'm not seeing any big men that can score unless you have Gay or Casspi playing the 4.

You guys are gonna hate me but Landry on a normal contract would be nice lol.

I'm worried that we don't have reliable backup bigman. WCS is just a rookie, Moreland didn't show he can play in nba yet.
We really do need sixthman kind of big who can take care of our offense or defense.
J-Smith would be great, but still worried to have Rondo,Smith,Cousins in same team. Either you have best season in 10 years or disaster breakdown.
I'm prefectly fine with either Landry or Thompson back on our team..They would fill up our bench perfectly.

Luc played mostly at the 4 for Philly last season so you will probably see him there for us considering we have Ben, Bellinelli, Gay, Omri, Caron all as swingmen, and we are likely to see Rondo/collison play together for stretches as well.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
This is more good news. Luc played well for us the first time, I'm happy to have him back. I don't know where he fits in the rotation exactly, but when George Karl looks down the bench now looking for a defensive stopper he'll have a pretty good one there ready to go. That's an important piece that every winning team needs. So all that's left now is a veteran PF to provide some insurance for Moreland and Cauley-Stein's rookie season growing pains. We've come a heck of a long way in just a couple of weeks!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
so im assuming that the kings don't have the trade player exception anymore?
I think Capt. Fact. has explained a few times that trade exceptions pop into existence when you compelte an unequal trade and then don't use the resulting cap room, so they are a placeholder of sorts. Since we immediately turned around and used the caproom, the trade exception went away when we filled up the cap room we had gained.

Mbah A Moute finished 18th of 81 in qualified PF's for DefRTG (shout to Bobby Gerould for the stat). That's a good vet signing. Of course, he's very injury prone, but he'll be just 29 when camp opens. He's still theoretically in his prime, if he can stay reasonably healthy. If's If's If's.

A no brainer at the veterans minimum, honestly. I'd wouldn't expect him to be part of the rotation when camp opens, but he'd be the 'next guy up', and due to his versatility, could fill multiple roles depending on goes down.

PG - Rondo, Collison, Stockton
SG - McLemore, Belinelli, Anderson
SF - Gay, Casspi, Butler
PF - Cousins, Mbah A Moute, Moreland
C - Koufos, Cauley-Stein

That's how I see this thing shaking out right now. A lot of versatility, so the depth chart will never perfectly indicate minutes played. I think Koufos, WCS, Cousins, Gay, Casspi, McLemore, Belinelli, Rondo, and Collison will make up the top-9, and be regular rotation players. If the Kings play 10 guys, Butler and LRMAM will probably swap that role throughout the season. We'll see if Moreland and / or Stockton stick.