Ongoing saga of Artest and NY Knicks... (MERGED)

Entity

Hall of Famer
They won't give us both, nor should we ask for both. They are somewhat duplicative, and we wouldn't have room for them anyway. If we get a second young player, I would should for Collins, who is a big PG who cannto shoot but finished up the year with an eye-opening Jason Kidd run of games (statistically).

Teh subtext ot all this is that there is a healthy chance that ron is going to leave us to sign wiht the Knicks after this season anyway. As long as you get Lee out of the deal, and really it has to be Rose -- only contract whihc is to long term, unless we were able to wait for those enders, then you go home happy. There is no "vaalue" trade for Artest. People are too afraid of him. So you just get what you can, then cash out.

Yeah i saw Collins numbers. It was eye opening. didn't play hardly all year then the last 2 weeks almost averaged a triple double.

This is totally ridiculous. If Artest had no value, there wouldn't be so much animosity from the Knicks fans all over the net. You guys can either have a top 10 league starter, or a good young bench role player with a possible future... which is it?...

Petrie has a whole lot better rep than Zeke ever will... if he decides to keep RonRon, I am cool.

The Post continues the drumbeat:

KNICKS' PROSPECTS IN PLAY FOR ARTEST
By MARC BERMAN
NEW YORK BOUND?

The Knicks have shown interest in forward Ron Artest, but may have to trade David Lee in a deal to land the forward.

July 6, 2007 -- Six Knicks prospects will be on display in the Las Vegas summer league beginning Monday, in what could be an audition for Sacramento GM Geoff Petrie.

If the Knicks are to land forward Ron Artest in a trade this summer - one of their remaining summer goals - they will have to package a couple of prospects.

The one young Knick who could seal the deal is David Lee, as Isiah Thomas ponders whether to make him available for the former Defensive Player of the Year who carries lots of baggage. Lee could be packaged with either Jared Jeffries or Malik Rose to make the deal work under collective bargaining agreement mathematics.

The Knicks announced their summer-league roster yesterday. The lone surprise was Nate Robinson, who likely is being showcased. The club opens Monday vs. Kevin Durant's Sonics and begins a mini-camp this morning at Valley High in Vegas.

Artest brushed up on his game for the Kings' summer-league team last July after being suspended most of the season for his role in the Pacers-Pistons brawl in Auburn Hills, Mich. Nov. 19, 2004 as a member of the Pacers. There's speculation the often-suspended Artest could face another 2-to-5 game ban from the NBA to start next season for pleading guilty to a domestic violence charge.

Artest is out of the country and unavailable for comment, his agent, Mark Stevens, said. A source said Artest is headed to Kenya Wednesday with the Players Association as part of a Feed the Children program.

Stevens spoke to Artest yesterday. Asked about Artest's reaction to reports the Knicks have interest in bringing him home, Stevens said: "He's a New Yorker. I'm pretty sure you can fill in the rest."

Robinson will join last season's rookies, Renaldo Balkman, Mardy Collins, and Randolph Morris and this year's picks, first-rounder Wilson Chandler of DePaul and second-round shooting guard Demitris Nichols of Syracuse.

The Knicks' acquisition last week of guards Dan Dickau, Fred Jones and Nichols makes Robinson's future unclear. Even if no trade is made, Robinson, who's in the last year of his contract, could be the odd man out in training camp. The Knicks have 17 players - two above the maximum.

Robinson had a disappointing second season, marred by initiating the Knicks-Nuggets brawl on Dec. 16, 2006 at the Garden. At 5-foot-7, Robinson has freaky athleticism. He once blocked Yao Ming's shot at the Garden, but too often he was incompetent defensively, lost his man, and was unable to muscle through picks, which drew Thomas' ire.

The Knicks don't consider Robinson a point guard any longer, especially with the emergence of Collins. Thomas considers Dickau a legitimate backup point guard. And Thomas loved Jones so much coming out of college, he convinced Pacers president Donnie Walsh to draft him at No. 14 in 2002, when Thomas was Indiana's coach.

Thomas is desperate to make another trade to pare down the roster, even if it's not the magnitude of landing Artest to plug in at starting small forward. Under the CBA, Dickau and Jones can't be shipped in a multi-player deal for 60 days from last Thursday. Chandler can't be dealt for 30 days once he signs his rookie contract.

Artest can opt out after next season and said in the past he would seek out the Knicks as a free agent. Another team trading for Artest may be renting him for one year.

Orlando reportedly offered Hedo Turkoglu for Artest. Petrie, looking for a significant asset in return, told the Sacramento Bee he has no hot ongoing trade talks.

Stevens told the Post's Brian Lewis last year, "It's 2006 now. He [Artest] has until 2008. He can go wherever he chooses. If a team wants to pick him up for a year or two, that's fine."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/0706200...play_for_artest_knicks_marc_berman.htm?page=0

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
A lot of smoke, but most of it being generated by this one writer. The consistent quotes from Artest's agent about how great it would be are revealing however.

A lot of smoke, but most of it being generated by this one writer. The consistent quotes from Artest's agent about how great it would be are revealing however.
Disregarding much of reality Lee then Collins would probably have the most value to the Kings in an Artest deal. Jones/Dickau's expirings would be nice as well. Being able to shed a year off of Kenny's contract(a la Rose) would seal the deal IMO.

Artest
Thomas

for

Lee
Rose
Dickau
Jones
Collins

Would Artest for Lee plus draft picks and cash work?
I hate to see us take too many players and not have room on the roster for
any young players..

Bricklayer

Would Artest for Lee plus draft picks and cash work?
I hate to see us take too many players and not have room on the roster for
any young players..
We've got a lot of roster spaces right now actually.

But no, at the very least we would need to take back Rose in order to match salaries -- and I am insistent on Rose because he's the only one of their major contracts up after next year when we should be trying to make a free agency push. And Zeke is apparently trying to do multiple players for one player type deals because he's already compeltely overloaded his own roster. So 2-1, 3-1 etc. works for him.

Biggest problme wiht Smills' idea is just that it would deprive Zeke of 3 of his 4 backup PGs and leave him only the guy he really does not like (Robinson) + Crawford occasionally. Otherwise its a great deal for us. And not a terrible one for them. They get Artest, + the spare big they will need to come up with if they trade Lee. We get two kids, one with already realized potential, and the other who is intriguing. And we find a way to liquidate one of forever contracts -- in fact generally our most unmoveable forever contract. But it could not come until the end of summer, by which time Zeke may have found something better to do. And again, as he has to coach the resulting bad attitude mess -- Ron and Zach and Kenny and Starbury oh my! -- have to wonder if he might not start to be just a tad free and stupid with the Jailblazers recreation.

Last edited:
Still think Rose/Lee for Artest is the simplest, most realistic plan. Adding KT to the mix complicates things from the Knicks' side, which makes it all the more unlikely. Sure Rose would make our cap situation worse, but only for an extra year, and it sounds like 09, not 08, is the summer being eyed for the free agent splash. KT may still have some value for a team like the Nets (Collins/filler) or Rockets if they don't make progress in their frontcourt situation. If we can just do the Artest for Lee/Rose deal done now and make sure it gets taken care of, I say go for it and don't look back.

For us to give up our "best" player then we need to be able to get a player that fills our needs very well. We SUCK at rebounding...Lee is GREAT at rebounding..we suck with athleticism in the front court, Lee is fairly athletic. If the Knicks want Artest, then Lee is the bare minimum asking price. It's a simple as that. Lee is a very nice player, but he's still a ROLE player in that he will never be the focal point or difference maker of the game on a consistent basis. He may do those little things that help win games, but he'll never be the focal of the offense OR defense.

I think Jones/Dickau expirings would come our way as well, and I beleive a Kenny/Rose swap would benefit both teams as well.

Ron/Kenny

for

Lee/Jones/Dickau/Rose

That helps us to rebuild.

And I'm in the camp that IF we deal one of Mike or Ron, I'd actually prefer Ron because replacing him at the 3 will be easier than replacing Mike at the 1(opportunity cost). Also I think Ron has more value and appeal in the league and is more feasible in deals that include Kenny due to his contract. So IF we have to deal one, I'd slightly prefer Artest.

Ideally, I'd like to just sign Darko with the MLE and call it an off-season and go from there.
Great points, yeah Ron is a NYer and his heart is there and he said he always wanted to play there. Since Ron is making less then he should based on his talent, adjusted lower due to his miscontent behavior. I say we should insist on unloading Ron and Kenny to NY for Lee and whoever. I don't know those other guys you mention above, but like what I see very much in Lee and him and Hawes with JWill2, possibly Miller if we cannot ship him off somewhere, and also SAR off the bench. Based on how much players make, the vets will probably end of playing unless the kids show them up which I have every reason to believe they would do anyways. JWill2, a undrafted youngin, showed up K9, SAR, and Miller with his hustle and rebounding. I know for darn sure that Lee will show up K9 and SAR and should be our starting 4 and then Hawes can spit time with Miller starting at the 5. Miller is way to slow and he will not work at 4, but rather with his poor health be a vet off the bench along with SAR, at least partly during the season, I don't see Miller playing the whole year without reaggrivating the foot again or something else on his aging body. :rolleyes:

We've got a lot of roster spaces right now actually.

But no, at the very least we would need to take back Rose in order to match salaries -- and I am insistent on Rose because he's the only one of their major contracts up after next year when we should be trying to make a free agency push. And Zeke is apparently trying to do multiple players for one player type deals because he's already compeltely overloaded his own roster. So 2-1, 3-1 etc. works for him.

Biggest problme wiht Smills' idea is just that it would deprive Zeke of 3 of his 4 backup PGs and leave him only the guy he really does not like (Robinson) + Crawford occasionally. Otherwise its a great deal for us. And not a terrible one for them. They get Artest, + the spare big they will need to come up with if they trade Lee. We get two kids, one with already realized potential, and the other who is intriguing. And we find a way to liquidate one of forever contracts -- in fact generally our most unmoveable forever contract. But it could not come until the end of summer, by which time Zeke may have found something better to do. And again, as he has to coach the resulting bad attitude mess -- Ron and Zach and Kenny and Starbury oh my! -- have to wonder if he might not start to be just a tad free and stupid with the Jailblazers recreation.

Thats funny... Would love to see the Knick Fans reaction to that circus..

Artest for Lee and Rose would be good for us, but they lose two PF's in the deal.
Would love to see GP trade KT and a 2nd. for Hedo. (wishful thinking)
Save a Mil/yr in salary.. 3 inches taller plus he has a shot that gets above the rim.

Artest for Lee and Rose!

We can't include KT, only if we want to wait 2 months because Dickau and Jones can't be involved in a mult-player deal for 60 days from last Thursday...we don't got two months to start making changes.....

Step 1 Artest for Lee and Rose
Step 2 then waive KT

Artest for Lee and Rose!

We can't include KT, only if we want to wait 2 months because Dickau and Jones can't be involved in a mult-player deal for 60 days from last Thursday...we don't got two months to start making changes.....

Step 1 Artest for Lee and Rose
Step 2 then waive KT
Sounds good, yeah we need to do this trade soon, and not 2 months later. While the fire is hot, get it done. I think we all come out winners and the Knicks can be on there way to becoming the East Coast's version of the Jailblazers!!! :p

Last edited:
What's with the "WAIVE THOMAS" crap? That does absolutely NOTHING good. All it does is create a roster spot. I'm one who highly advocates Kenny off the roster, but this is just plain stupid. We still owe him every penny and every penny still counts towards the cap. In fact, when he becomes an expiring contract(if he were waived) we WOULDN'T be able to trade him as salary filler at that point. Kenny's bad, but he's not THAT bad to where we should say, "hey, here's 25 million dollars go have someone pay you more so you play for them". That's just stupid talk.

Marc Berman: Knicks' Prospects In Play For Artest

http://www.nypost.com/seven/0706200...cts_in_play_for_artest_knicks_marc_berman.htm

By MARC BERMAN

SLIDES = new slideshow("SLIDES"); SLIDES.timeout = 5000; SLIDES.prefetch = -1; SLIDES.repeat = true; s = new slide(); s.src = "/seven/07062007/photos/knicks.jpg"; s.text = unescape("NEW YORK BOUND? The Knicks have shown interest in forward Ron Artest, but may have to trade David Lee in a deal to land the forward."); s.link = "/seven/07062007/photos/knicks.jpg"; s.target = ""; s.attr = ""; s.filter = ""; SLIDES.add_slide(s); if (false) SLIDES.shuffle();

NEW YORK BOUND? The Knicks have shown interest in forward Ron Artest, but may have to trade David Lee in a deal to land the forward.

July 6, 2007 -- Six Knicks prospects will be on display in the Las Vegas summer league beginning Monday, in what could be an audition for Sacramento GM Geoff Petrie.
If the Knicks are to land forward Ron Artest in a trade this summer - one of their remaining summer goals - they will have to package a couple of prospects.
The one young Knick who could seal the deal is David Lee, as Isiah Thomas ponders whether to make him available for the former Defensive Player of the Year who carries lots of baggage. Lee could be packaged with either Jared Jeffries or Malik Rose to make the deal work under collective bargaining agreement mathematics.
The Knicks announced their summer-league roster yesterday. The lone surprise was Nate Robinson, who likely is being showcased. The club opens Monday vs. Kevin Durant's Sonics and begins a mini-camp this morning at Valley High in Vegas.
Artest brushed up on his game for the Kings' summer-league team last July after being suspended most of the season for his role in the Pacers-Pistons brawl in Auburn Hills, Mich. Nov. 19, 2004 as a member of the Pacers. There's speculation the often-suspended Artest could face another 2-to-5 game ban from the NBA to start next season for pleading guilty to a domestic violence charge.
Artest is out of the country and unavailable for comment, his agent, Mark Stevens, said. A source said Artest is headed to Kenya Wednesday with the Players Association as part of a Feed the Children program.
Stevens spoke to Artest yesterday. Asked about Artest's reaction to reports the Knicks have interest in bringing him home, Stevens said: "He's a New Yorker. I'm pretty sure you can fill in the rest." Robinson will join last season's rookies, Renaldo Balkman, Mardy Collins, and Randolph Morris and this year's picks, first-rounder Wilson Chandler of DePaul and second-round shooting guard Demitris Nichols of Syracuse.

PAGE 2

The Knicks' acquisition last week of guards Dan Dickau, Fred Jones and Nichols makes Robinson's future unclear. Even if no trade is made, Robinson, who's in the last year of his contract, could be the odd man out in training camp. The Knicks have 17 players - two above the maximum.
Robinson had a disappointing second season, marred by initiating the Knicks-Nuggets brawl on Dec. 16, 2006 at the Garden. At 5-foot-7, Robinson has freaky athleticism. He once blocked Yao Ming's shot at the Garden, but too often he was incompetent defensively, lost his man, and was unable to muscle through picks, which drew Thomas' ire.
The Knicks don't consider Robinson a point guard any longer, especially with the emergence of Collins. Thomas considers Dickau a legitimate backup point guard. And Thomas loved Jones so much coming out of college, he convinced Pacers president Donnie Walsh to draft him at No. 14 in 2002, when Thomas was Indiana's coach.
Thomas is desperate to make another trade to pare down the roster, even if it's not the magnitude of landing Artest to plug in at starting small forward. Under the CBA, Dickau and Jones can't be shipped in a multi-player deal for 60 days from last Thursday. Chandler can't be dealt for 30 days once he signs his rookie contract.
Artest can opt out after next season and said in the past he would seek out the Knicks as a free agent. Another team trading for Artest may be renting him for one year.
Orlando reportedly offered Hedo Turkoglu for Artest. Petrie, looking for a significant asset in return, told the Sacramento Bee he has no hot ongoing trade talks.
Stevens told the Post's Brian Lewis last year, "It's 2006 now. He [Artest] has until 2008. He can go wherever he chooses. If a team wants to pick him up for a year or two, that's fine."
* Knicks assistant Dave Hanners spent last summer league interviewing with Denver's George Karl. Today, Larry Brown's buddy will run his first practice as Knicks summer-league coach. MSG Network hit the jackpot as it will televise Kevin Durant's pro debut Monday vs. the Knicks. The Knicks also will face the Chinese National Team
</B></I>

Artest to Knicks Deal Dead? Miami Next?

I was just reading various news stories from hoopshype that stated the Knicks have made David Lee unavailable in the Artest deal and would only give him up in a deal for Kobe or Garnett.

That being the case the Kings are back talking with the Heat and the Clippers involving a deal with Corey Maggette. Hopefully Maggette would be going to the Heat because we certainly have no need for him, but I can't imagine the Heat getting both Artest and Maggette so that's not a good sign. Unless perhaps Bibby might be involved as the Clippers are in desperate need of a point guard.

Ya I think it would be Artest to the Clippers for Magette. He is not my first choice, but if we do deal Artest we will need a starting SF. If he goes to Miami I assume it will be the talked about JWill,Haslem,Wright,picks,etc.. some sort of combo involing those players in some form or fashion. I read the other day that the Blazers are going to buy out Steve Francis and that the Clippers will sign him if that happens so he can be reunited with his "good friend" Cuttino Mobley lol (Not that there's anything wrong with that, in the words of Seinfeld), so that would rule out the Clippers need for a trade for Bibby.

Entity

Hall of Famer
No the story is that the Heat are talking to the Clips about Maggette and us about Artest. We are not talking to the Clips

...if we do deal Artest we will need a starting SF.
Oh, man, why do you say that? Do we not want to give the younger players a chance to show what they can do? Garcia, for example? Why must we replace Artest with another SF unless he is part of our future plans?
(OK, I realize you didn't say 'replace Artest with a SF who ISN'T part of our future plans')

Last edited:
David Lee and fillers for Kobe or Garnett? What they smoking? Lee has to stay if they stick with Curry. He doesn't rebound well and is slow. Lee help hide a bit of that. I would like to see Francis with Mobley. Add Kenny Thomas with them too.

Bricklayer

Story 1: same author, same rag. Amazing that he has managed to get an entire weeks wirht of stories about this, which may rapidly become a non-story.

ISIAH NOT WILLING TO DEAL LEE FOR ARTEST
By MARC BERMAN
July 7, 2007

David Lee is off the table.

If the Knicks are to obtain Ron Artest in a summer package, they'll have to do it without Lee being included in the package. According to a person with knowledge of the situation, Knick president Isiah Thomas has not made Lee available in talks with Sacramento, nor will he in potential future talks.

That would seem to decrease the chances of the Knicks putting together a strong-enough package to get Artest, especially since Kings GM Geoff Petrie is considered a stubborn negotiator.

The Knicks would likely only pony up Lee in a deal for Kobe Bryant or Kevin Garnett. Lee, who averaged a double-double (10.7, 10.4) last season, is a leading candidate for Sixth Man of the Year.

However, Lee's minutes are expected to drop next season with the addition of starting power forward Zach Randolph. Although he rarely started, Lee got many of his minutes at power forward for the ineffective Channing Frye, now a Blazer.

The Knicks have plenty of other prospects to make a deal. However, they could wait until after next season when Artest, 27, opts out and becomes a free agent. The controversial former Defensive Player of the Year from Queensbridge has said in the past he would opt out to sign with the Knicks.
But Thomas could only offer a five-year deal starting at the mid-level exception, which could be worth $6 million per next summer.

Petrie can scout a number of the Knicks' young players at this week's Las Vegas summer league. The Knicks open play Monday vs. Seattle in Kevin Durant's pro debut.

On the summer-league team that began practice yesterday are last season's rookies, Renaldo Balkman, Mardy Collins and Randolph Morris, plus 2007 draftees Wilson Chandler and Demitris Nichols. Nate Robinson, surprisingly, also will play.

The chances are stronger that an Artest trade would happen later in the summer, when the contracts of Dan Dickau, Fred Jones and Chandler can be traded. Chandler, the first-round pick out of DePaul, is expected to sign his rookie deal Monday.

marc.berman@nypost.com

http://www.nypost.com/seven/0707200...to_deal_lee_for_artest_knicks_marc_berman.htm

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Story 2: Note, only the one blurb about Artest/Maggette, and the suggestion is that the Heat are looking to trade for one or the other, not that we are interested in getting Maggette, but who knows, Maggette's contract does run the right length for us. Also note the description of what riles is looking for out of that position, that Posey does not bring (playmaking). Sounds much more Artest to me than it does Maggette.

Heat upgrade on the horizon?
With the Heat's midlevel exception at his disposal, Pat Riley said he is actively looking to upgrade at point guard and small forward.
BY MIKE WALLACE
mwallace@MiamiHerald.com

Heat president and coach Pat Riley said Friday he is willing to commit up to $6 million a season to a player capable of filling the team's needs for a point guard and small forward.

''If he's a player that his production has been such over the past three or four years that he's a double-digit [scorer], a starter, a heavy-minute rotation player and has contributed on a winning situation, you might think about it,'' Riley said.

The Heat plans to be patient as it bargain shops. Speaking to reporters for the first time since the free agency period opened Sunday, Riley said he doesn't anticipate using the Heat's entire midlevel exception ($6 million) on just one player when free agents can begin signing contracts Wednesday.

The Heat has been in discussions with Denver free agent point guard Steve Blake, a former Miami High star, and Milwaukee guard Mo Williams since Sunday. But the Heat apparently does not value Blake, 27, as a talent worth $6 million a year.

Blake, who finished the season as a starter in Denver alongside Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony, reportedly is seeking a five- or six-year deal worth at least $30 million.

Williams, 24, coming off a career season in Milwaukee, likely would command much more than the full midlevel exception.

But the Heat remains in talks with Williams' agent, Mark Bartelstein, with the hopes that an opportunity to start and compete for a championship would entice Williams to take less money.

The Heat's search for an answer at forward apparently doesn't include its own free agent, James Posey.

Riley said discussions are picking up regarding Posey, whose name has surfaced in deals involving as many as eight teams in recent days.

Posey, who averaged 7.7 points, 5.0 rebounds and 1.3 assists last season, was not the offensive player Riley said the team needs to complement Dwyane Wade and Shaquille O'Neal.

''What we need -- and we found out last year -- is a guy who can do things similar to what Dwyane can do,'' Riley said. ``James is the acrobatic, energy, will make threes, will cut to the basket. He's not a playmaker. That's not his strength. Never has been his strength.''

Riley said the type of player he is targeting at that position might be available through a trade and not necessarily the free agent market.

The Heat recently has had trade discussions with Sacramento and the Los Angeles Clippers regarding Ron Artest and Corey Maggette.

Riley also addressed the departure of free agent forward Jason Kapono, who agreed to a four-year, $24 million deal with Toronto. Riley said he valued Kapono's three-point shooting -- Kapono led the league at 51.4 percent last season -- but more than shooting was needed.

''The information we got was that right after midnight [Sunday], one or two of our players would be gone,'' he said.

``So we weren't surprised. Jason is one of the best three-point shooters in the game. We're going to miss that big time.''

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/basketball/story/163254.html

Okay good, that clears it up a little bit because we don't need Maggette. Anyway, I don't know what's up with the Knicks, the last time I checked to get something you gotta give up something. Maybe the Kings would consider something with Balkman, Collins, and an expiring contract, but Balkman hasn't come close to proving what Lee has at this point.

Here's the NY Daily News, which quotes Mark Bartelstein as the source. Given that we know Bartelstein loves to manipulate the media, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he came out with this unprompted (and that he was Berman's source for his article) to try and force Isiah to keep Lee in NYC. Now if Isiah trades Lee he looks like a liar (in fact the Daily News is pretty explicit about that).

This is why it never pays to have trade rumors in the media. Once players and agents get wind of it's too easily for the process to be manipulated.

Isiah: I won't deal Lee

BY FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, July 7th 2007, 4:00 AM

LAS VEGAS - David Lee has been a one-man trade rumor for months, but Knicks president Isiah Thomas apparently has no plans to move the team's most popular player.

Thomas spoke recently with Lee's agent and informed him that he is not trading the third-year forward. If Thomas is true to his word, it will be difficult for the Knicks to acquire Sacramento's Ron Artest because the Kings would insist on including Lee in a proposed trade.

"I spoke to Isiah and he said he's not going to trade David," said Mark Bartelstein, Lee's Chicago-based agent. "David isn't going anywhere."

Thomas is in the market for a small forward, preferably someone like Artest or Charlotte's Gerald Wallace. But offering Jared Jeffries, Malik Rose, Jerome James or Nate Robinson isn't going to get him very far.

There are also questions whether Thomas genuinely wants to add the volatile Artest to the Knicks' locker room. Thomas is already putting himself on the line by acquiring Zach Randolph, a player with a troubled past. Artest also has had his share of on-and-off-the-court problems and Thomas may be biting off more than he can chew.

The Knicks currently have four small forwards on their roster - Jeffries, Quentin Richardson, Renaldo Balkman and first-round pick Wilson Chandler, who is here playing for the Knicks' summer-league team. Lee is also here, but will only practice with the summer-league squad.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2007/07/07/2007-07-07_isiah_i_wont_deal_lee.html

Here's the NY Daily News, which quotes Mark Bartelstein as the source. Given that we know Bartelstein loves to manipulate the media, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he came out with this unprompted (and that he was Berman's source for his article) to try and force Isiah to keep Lee in NYC. Now if Isiah trades Lee he looks like a liar (in fact the Daily News is pretty explicit about that).

This is why it never pays to have trade rumors in the media. Once players and agents get wind of it's too easily for the process to be manipulated.

Isiah: I won't deal Lee

BY FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, July 7th 2007, 4:00 AM

LAS VEGAS - David Lee has been a one-man trade rumor for months, but Knicks president Isiah Thomas apparently has no plans to move the team's most popular player.

Thomas spoke recently with Lee's agent and informed him that he is not trading the third-year forward. If Thomas is true to his word, it will be difficult for the Knicks to acquire Sacramento's Ron Artest because the Kings would insist on including Lee in a proposed trade.

"I spoke to Isiah and he said he's not going to trade David," said Mark Bartelstein, Lee's Chicago-based agent. "David isn't going anywhere."

Thomas is in the market for a small forward, preferably someone like Artest or Charlotte's Gerald Wallace. But offering Jared Jeffries, Malik Rose, Jerome James or Nate Robinson isn't going to get him very far.

There are also questions whether Thomas genuinely wants to add the volatile Artest to the Knicks' locker room. Thomas is already putting himself on the line by acquiring Zach Randolph, a player with a troubled past. Artest also has had his share of on-and-off-the-court problems and Thomas may be biting off more than he can chew.

The Knicks currently have four small forwards on their roster - Jeffries, Quentin Richardson, Renaldo Balkman and first-round pick Wilson Chandler, who is here playing for the Knicks' summer-league team. Lee is also here, but will only practice with the summer-league squad.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2007/07/07/2007-07-07_isiah_i_wont_deal_lee.html
It's be pretty easy for Isiah to come out forthright and establish with his own two lips that he never said those things if he wanted to discredit this paper. I'd take Isiah's word(which isn't much) over an agent's word 10 times out of 10.

It's be pretty easy for Isiah to come out forthright and establish with his own two lips that he never said those things if he wanted to discredit this paper. I'd take Isiah's word(which isn't much) over an agent's word 10 times out of 10.
But he can't do that either, because that erodes his negotiating position (if he makes it clear he's willing to deal Lee suddenly his price goes down), and it also affects his relationship with Lee and Bartelstein. By beating Isiah to the punch, Bartelstein got the upper hand.

But he can't do that either, because that erodes his negotiating position (if he makes it clear he's willing to deal Lee suddenly his price goes down), and it also affects his relationship with Lee and Bartelstein. By beating Isiah to the punch, Bartelstein got the upper hand.
Well he either does a deal or he doesn't...there are only 2 options...all this article does IMO is help expedite a decision by Isiah.