Ongoing saga of Artest and NY Knicks... (MERGED)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The Latest Part 2: From the Times. Bolded quote at the bottom looks like Geoff maybe just being pissy about the rumors/perception, because he, Geoff, never tries to move anybody. At least one would hope that was it. If he meant it... :eek:

Knicks Fulfill Two Needs Without Making One Move
By HOWARD BECK
Published: July 10, 2007

LAS VEGAS, July 9 — The Knicks will almost certainly have a new look at small forward next season, when their starter will be a deft shooter and a dedicated defender. No trades will be needed.

The new starter could very well be the old starter — a surgically upgraded Quentin Richardson, who hopes to be lighter, quicker and pain-free when he returns.

Richardson, who had back surgery March 30, was cleared Monday to work on the court. He is running, jumping and even dunking, although not yet playing with contact. He is on track to resume playing by the end of the month, and to be at full speed by the time he reports to training camp in October.

While speculative reports link the Knicks to Sacramento’s Ron Artest, a native New Yorker, the most likely outcome is a revived Richardson filling the team’s needs on the wing.

“I think I’ll be more explosive now, because I was so limited last year and the year before,” said Richardson, who attended Monday night’s 87-74 summer-league victory against the Seattle SuperSonics. (Nate Robinson scored a game-high 19 points and Randolph Morris had a game-high 10 rebounds.)
Richardson had a microdiscectomy to repair a herniated disk, which bothered him for most of last season. He played in only 49 games, averaging 13.0 points and 7.2 rebounds. When healthy, the 6-foot-6 Richardson was the Knicks’ best perimeter defender, routinely guarding the league’s elite swingmen like LeBron James and Kobe Bryant. He is also the Knicks’ best 3-point shooter and among their top rebounders.

But Richardson often played in pain last season because of the back injury, which created other problems when he overcompensated for his injury.
“I was just used to having a certain level of pain,” he said.

Contrary to concerns that he would never be the same, Richardson insisted that he would in fact be a better, more fluid player because of the surgery.
“I definitely look forward to being out there and playing pain free and being able to do the things that I know I can do without having to favor this or favor that, or go out there knowing I’m hurt and having to limit myself on certain things,” he said.

Richardson appeared a bit heavier Monday, but he said he planned to be lighter and quicker in the fall. He is working out here all week with his teammates Fred Jones, David Lee and Mardy Collins. Malik Rose is expected to join them Tuesday.

Richardson envisions himself as the starting small forward next season, joining an explosive lineup that will feature the new addition Zach Randolph at power forward, Eddy Curry at center and guards Jamal Crawford and Stephon Marbury. The Knicks acquired Randolph, who averaged 23.6 points and 10.1 rebounds last season, from Portland.

“It’s a great starting lineup,” Richardson said.

Even without the addition, Richardson said he considered the Knicks contenders in the Eastern Conference next season. For proof, all he had to do was watch the finals, in which the Cleveland Cavaliers — a team the Knicks beat twice — represented the East. “I was looking at a team in the finals I felt like we could have beat,” he said.

Just then, Cavaliers Coach Mike Brown walked behind Richardson, and Richardson, upon seeing him, reacted with a sheepish laugh.

“I’m serious; I think he really wouldn’t be able to argue with that,” Richardson said of Brown. “We played them well, every game.”

Randolph’s arrival means Curry will have to share the ball in the low post. But Richardson, who is close to Curry and has worked out with him in Chicago, their hometown, said he was pleased with the trade.

“I think Eddy’s happy, because he feels like he’s not going to see as many double teams,” he said.

REBOUNDS
There are some indications that the Sacramento Kings are open to trading Ron Artest, but there has been little, if any, substantive discussion about sending him to the Knicks. The Kings’ president, Geoff Petrie, said, “If people want to have conversations with themselves, go for it.” He added, “Ignorance is generally its own reward.” It was unclear if Petrie was taking a shot at the news media or the Knicks. “We’re not trying to move anybody,” Petrie said. Regarding Artest, he said, “Ron is going to be a King next year.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/10/s...basketball&oref=login&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The Latest Part 3: Featuring a more measured and Petrieesque sort of statement abotu Artest. Not sure if its the same one mentioned in the other articels, and somebody jsut misquoted/semsationalized, or a separate statement.

Petrie dishes no Artest info
BY FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, July 10th 2007, 4:00 AM

LAS VEGAS - If you believe that the Ron Artest-to-the-Knicks talks are gaining momentum, then consider Sacramento Kings GM Geoff Petrie a human road block.

Petrie suggested yesterday that he hasn't had any contact with the Knicks regarding a deal for Artest, which contradicts the daily hints being dropped by the Knicks hierarchy.

"People are having a conversation with themselves," Petrie said of speculation concerning Artest's future.

Petrie declined to elaborate further on any talks regarding Artest, the 6-7 small forward out of Queensbridge who can opt out of his contract next summer. Petrie added that his longstanding policy is if the right deal comes along, he won't hesitate to trade any of his players.

Artest's name has surfaced in trade talks with Miami and Orlando. The Knicks also are interested, but Isiah Thomas has said he is not prepared to trade either David Lee or Renaldo Balkman.

"Geoff plays everything close to the vest," said a person close to Petrie. "He's not going to just give anyone away. He's a very smart guy, so if he does trade Ron he's going to find the best deal out there."

Artest was quoted on Sunday as saying he wants to play next season for Sacramento. "I expect Ron to be on our team," Petrie said.

Artest is regarded as among the upper echelon of players in the league, but he can also be a volatile personality in the locker room. Former Pacers coach Rick Carlisle calls Artest one of "top three competitors I've ever coached," with Ben Wallace and Reggie Miller being the others.

"The most fun I had in coaching was when we won 61 games and Ron became an All-Star and was the Defensive Player of the Year," Carlisle added. "I really appreciated how hard he played for me.

"He still has the ability to play at a high level. I have no idea if he's getting traded, but having him on your team would be an exciting proposition."

SLAMMIN' Q: Quentin Richardson was dunking again yesterday at a local gym here, which is a good sign considering the Knicks' incumbent small forward had back surgery in late March. "Everybody hadn't seen me jump like that all of last year," says Richardson, who claims he will be better than ever next season.

Assuming Richardson is ready for the start of training camp, he could have the inside track to join Eddy Curry, Zach Randolph, Jamal Crawford and Stephon Marbury in the starting lineup. "I'm going to always compete to be a starter," he said. "In my eyes I'm a starter. I like that lineup."
Richardson has been training in Chicago with Curry and says that Curry is looking forward to playing with Randolph, who is also a low-post scorer. "Eddy feels like he's not going to see as many double- teams," Richardson added.

SONIC BUST: Knicks beat the Sonics, 87-74, last night. Kevin Durant, the second pick in last month's draft, shot 4-for-19 and scored 18 points. The 6-9, 215-pound forward struggled with the Knicks' physical play, finishing with one rebound and no assists in 34 minutes.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b.../2007-07-10_petrie_dishes_no_artest_info.html

not trying to move anybody? I though he mentioned on KHTK he was going to move someone in the off season? either I misunderstood that or hes just bending this as far as it goes. Wonder which is true?

If Petrie isn't going to move anyone this offseason then it is a terrible sign. Remember the Marty McNeal article where Petrie wanted to wait until after 2008/09 when the contracts of Bibby and Artest expire? We realized that after raises, extensions, and draft picks that we wouldn't be much better off anyway.

I can't imagine that Petrie has completely fallen off his rocker here but that's what it's looking like. I'm just hoping that he's playing hardball and waiting for the best possible deal and if he feels his players will have more value at the trade deadline then so be it.

It's just that it would be nice to move them sooner than later so the young guys like Garcia, Douby, and Price get some playing time.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
People need to really look at the quotes carefully because they're being taken out of context.

If Petrie says they're not trying to move anybody - and he's talking to the New York media - it's quite possible he meant we're not trying to move anyone to the Knicks.

If Petrie says he expects Artest to be a King, that's pretty obvious he's not really saying anything. He expects all the players currently on the roster to be Kings until the day they aren't Kings. He made that comment at one time, and I've always remembered it.

"Geoff plays everything close to the vest," said a person close to Petrie. "He's not going to just give anyone away. He's a very smart guy, so if he does trade Ron he's going to find the best deal out there."
Look at that first sentence. Those of us who have been Kings fans for any length of time know that Petrie is about as talkative as the sphinx. He doesn't reveal anything until/unless he's ready to do so.

Of all the articles recently, I have to think the Daily News is the only one that isn't trying to spin this to meet their own agenda.

I don't agree with that interpretation, VF. I don't see it as Geoff saying he's not looking to move anyone to the KNICKS. But I do agree that people need to read more closely. Either Geoff is playing some poker (possible) or, what I think is more likely, he means he is not actively trading anyone. The person who said Geoff will now lose all credibility if he deals Artest is off his rocker. Geoff never said he's not ever going to trade Artest. He said he's not looking to. Which, in Petrie-speak, means he is simply not actively shopping Ron, but, and in one of those articles he explicitly states it - if the right deal comes along, one that he can't pass up, he would obviously make the deal.

He is having trouble moving his guys (Bibby and Artest) so Geoff is now backpedaling on the "trying to trade" the guys stance. He is going back and now it's the "we never tried to trade anyone" deal so that the guys are happy to be with the Kings that are SOOOOO loyal to them.

I posted this in the other thread, but just wanted to restate it here.

"I was excited about our summer and the possibilites that come with it until I read this article. When, exactly, did Petrie say this? The date on the article was "updated July 10th." I am not one that always says, "We must trade (fill in the blank), but taking ANY player off the block this early bothers me. I am hoping that this is his way of reminding other GMS that he does not appreciate trade talks going public too soon. I still respect Petrie and his decisions, but if he is not even going to allow the possibilty that Ron could be traded, then my confidence in him wil1 fade."

That being said, I think that he is just being Petrie and is keeping us all guessing.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I posted this in the other thread, but just wanted to restate it here.

"I was excited about our summer and the possibilites that come with it until I read this article. When, exactly, did Petrie say this? The date on the article was "updated July 10th." I am not one that always says, "We must trade (fill in the blank), but taking ANY player off the block this early bothers me. I am hoping that this is his way of reminding other GMS that he does not appreciate trade talks going public too soon. I still respect Petrie and his decisions, but if he is not even going to allow the possibilty that Ron could be traded, then my confidence in him wil1 fade."

That being said, I think that he is just being Petrie and is keeping us all guessing.
No one is off the block. The New York papers have gone overboard in their attempts to manipulate Petrie into saying things. I'm not at all concerned for the simple reason Petrie is, as I quoted in another thread, about as talkative as a sphinx. He does not negotiate in public nor does he tip his hand one way or the other.

He could have a deal in the works right now, but it would not be prudent for him to mention or even confirm it until the ink was dry. He could have nothing going at the moment but have every intention of seeing what will happen after tomorrow when the first FAs can actually sign the agreements they've reached informally.

Yay.

Keep Ron, keep Mike, keep Miller, keep EVERYONE!

23-59, here we come!

Actually, this article is the first time I've felt sure Ron was being shopped. A deal is obviously near, which is good news and bad news. The good news is, Ron's gone. The bad news is, they can't help but get 20 cents on the dollar for him.

Oh well. Play with matches, you get consequences. Even geniuses have this problem.

If Petrie says he expects Artest to be a King, that's pretty obvious he's not really saying anything. He expects all the players currently on the roster to be Kings until the day they aren't Kings. He made that comment at one time, and I've always remembered it.
Exactly. More than once, Petie has said "[insert name] is a King until he isn't a King." I think he said it shortly before Webber was traded, didn't he?

Right near the end of the season or just after, he said Musselman was coach until he wasn't.

So I think this means exactly squat about GP's intentions. And we know enough to ignore everything Ron says. ;)

Keep Ron, keep Mike, keep Miller, keep EVERYONE!

23-59, here we come!

Actually, this article is the first time I've felt sure Ron was being shopped. A deal is obviously near, which is good news and bad news. The good news is, Ron's gone. The bad news is, they can't help but get 20 cents on the dollar for him.

Oh well. Play with matches, you get consequences. Even geniuses have this problem.

Ummm what? He's obviously not untouchable/obviously being shopped but I don't see why you'd think a deal is actually near. And I don't really know why a 23-59 record would be bad, think of the draft!:D

Since the New York papers can't go a day without mentioning Ron Artest, here are today's entries:

The Daily News:

In the wake of last month's Zach Randolph trade, Thomas could make one more significant transaction, especially with Ron Artest's future in Sacramento in limbo. But Thomas, the Knicks president and coach, hinted late Tuesday that a blockbuster deal for Artest appears remote.

"We think we've done enough major things," Thomas said. "(There could be) small things that may help here or there. But we're not looking to do anything major."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2007/07/12/2007-07-12_pointing_to_future.html

The Post:

It was no surprise that flaky Ron Artest backtracked on his declaration in The Post that he really wants to finish his career in Sacramento. In fact, Thomas predicted the flip-flop when he said of the bizarre claim, "A lot of good players have been changing their minds lately," referring to the Lakers' Kobe Bryant.

Artest, one day after saying he probably won't opt out next season, told the Sacramento Bee, "I mean I like it, but who knows? I'm not going to put myself in a position where I say, yeah, I want to stay here all the time. I trust my agent."

Artest said he is flattered by the buzz in New York.

"All the people in New York want it, it's been eight years (since I left St. John's) and it's always like, 'When's Ron coming back?' That makes me feel good," Artest told The Post.

Kings GM Geoff Petrie told Artest he won't be traded, but Artest softened that statement.

"Geoff is an honest dude. He lets you know there's a chance that things could happen, that I could be traded," Artest said.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/0712200..._head_to_europe_knicks_marc_berman.htm?page=2

"All the people in New York want it, it's been eight years (since I left St. John's) and it's always like, 'When's Ron coming back?' That makes me feel good," Artest told The Post.

ALL the people in NY want it, eh? What world does Artest live in that he thinks ALL the people in NY want him? What led him to make such a conclusion??

This guy is a talent on the basketball court, but otherwise he'd do well to keep his thoughts to himself. Anything he says should be taken with a grain of salt, 'cause it don't mean a thing...

No one is off the block. The New York papers have gone overboard in their attempts to manipulate Petrie into saying things. I'm not at all concerned for the simple reason Petrie is, as I quoted in another thread, about as talkative as a sphinx. He does not negotiate in public nor does he tip his hand one way or the other.

He could have a deal in the works right now, but it would not be prudent for him to mention or even confirm it until the ink was dry. He could have nothing going at the moment but have every intention of seeing what will happen after tomorrow when the first FAs can actually sign the agreements they've reached informally.

His, "People are having conversations with themselves", comment was probably one of the funniest things I've ever heard him say. It was classic!