one more shot at garnett

I'd rank the contenders in the KG sweepstakes like this (with best offer):

1. Chicago (Gordon, Deng, top 5 pick)
2. NY (Rose, Frye, Robinson, Lee)
3. Indiana (Jermaine O'Neal, Stephen Jackson)
4. Warriors (Davis, Pietrus, Diogu)
5. Kings (Bibby, Corliss, Shareef, Martin)
6. Lakers (Odom, Bynum, Brown)

Chicago doesn't have the contracts unless they throw in Chandler, but he's BYC and I'm not sure how that works or when it ends. Without Chandler, the team would be left with nothing after matching the contract of KG.

Packt said:
Chicago doesn't have the contracts unless they throw in Chandler, but he's BYC and I'm not sure how that works or when it ends. Without Chandler, the team would be left with nothing after matching the contract of KG.
Chicago doesn't have to match salary, they're under the cap and can just absord KG's salary. It's the reason they're also the most appealing to Minnesota -- the Wolves get instant cap relief that they can use to sign a new free agent on top of the young talent and draft pick.

Bricklayer said:
Again, think Ron Harper.

Cisco?

We might very well be able to get Jaric or Hudson for Corliss's expiring deal.

And of course, we still have the MLE.

You don't need a great PG with that pairing. Just a steady one, preferably who can shoot and play defense. The offense runs through the HOF caliber guys. The PG brings it up, gets out of the way. Hustles, defends, spots up.

Whihc is not to say I would rather have that than Bibby. Bibby's clutch ability alone makes him our 2nd most valuable player. But it is all you need.
Now, I may be getting in over my head, as I haven't really watched the NBA for that long, but I did some research, and I only see 2 championship teams without a good to great point guard in the last 20 years: The 98-99 Spurs, with Avery Johnson; and the unholy 1999-2002 Lakers, with Derek Fisher. The Lakers did have the dynamic duo going, but Bryant and O'neal are two of the top ten best basketball players in history, let alone in the nba at the time. They also had Bryant, who's a superb ball handler, along with everything else.

I like seeing Garcia in the game, I'd like him to get more minutes, but at the 2/3 rather than the point. His handling skills and passing are acceptable as a backup, and I think he runs the fast break better than anybody on the team, but his best games have come up against the reserves of our opponents. I think it's a question mark whether he'd be able to be a starter.

I'm not aware of which PGs are going to be free agents this summer. Could somebody make a list?

Last edited:
nbrans said:

I am pretty sure you still have to match salaries dont you? I could be wrong. But reguardlesss... KG wont leave Mini if its not for a contending situation.. thats why he wants to leave. Lakers are the #1 choice. Indiana Might be up there... but I think its us or LA. This is for KG... And Mini would make KG happy, at least thats the article i read. And So He wants to win a ring... therefore he wants Kobe. But HE did really respect Webber, and looked up to him... maybe he would want to take over the position his mentor created in Sac.

SacKings4Life21 said:
I am pretty sure you still have to match salaries dont you? I could be wrong. But reguardlesss... KG wont leave Mini if its not for a contending situation.. thats why he wants to leave. Lakers are the #1 choice. Indiana Might be up there... but I think its us or LA. This is for KG... And Mini would make KG happy, at least thats the article i read. And So He wants to win a ring... therefore he wants Kobe. But HE did really respect Webber, and looked up to him... maybe he would want to take over the position his mentor created in Sac.
No, if a team under the cap you don't have to match salaries. You can just absorb salary until the cap threshold.

And if KG demanded to be traded I think Minnesota would try to accommodate his wishes, but ultimately they're going to have to look out for the franchise as well.

nbrans said:
No, if a team under the cap you don't have to match salaries. You can just absorb salary until the cap threshold.

And if KG demanded to be traded I think Minnesota would try to accommodate his wishes, but ultimately they're going to have to look out for the franchise as well.
If they were looking for the franchise there is no reason to trade him. IT would just put him away from a place that he would ultimatly liek to stay, but wants a ring. Cant do both. He will only go to a contender. So the bull warriors are out. I think the lakers will get him. Sac a distent second. DET talked about a trade for him to remmemebr

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
SacKings4Life21 said:
If they were looking for the franchise there is no reason to trade him. IT would just put him away from a place that he would ultimatly liek to stay, but wants a ring. Cant do both. He will only go to a contender. So the bull warriors are out. I think the lakers will get him. Sac a distent second. DET talked about a trade for him to remmemebr
It's not UP to Kevin Garnett, should a trade eventually come down. Yes, the TWolves will try to accomodate his wishes. But, bottom line, the NBA is a business. The owners of the business have control over the assets of the business, including the players.

IF the Timberwolves decide, for whatever reason, they have to rebuild because they just don't have a chance to improve past what they've already done, then they HAVE to look at moving Kevin Garnett before he becomes a free agent.

In that situation, they would definitely look at teams like Chicago, who can offer a combination of youth, talent AND excellent draft pick.

That is true i agree ... but this year and even nexy year for explaoring trades will be solely for KG's wish's and of coure best retrun offer. If it comes doesn to loosing him in free agency, they will take what they can get. But they do not want to loose him at all! They said that... but the GM said he respects KG, and will accomodate him to a contender.

If Martin could play point ala Arenas you could do the following.

1) Play Martin at point/facilitator
2) Resign Bonzi to play the 2
3) Trade Bibby and Miller for KG
4) Trade****using pixie dust*** KT and Corlis for a rebounding/defending Center. The guy does not have to be Ben Wallace just an actual deterent in the paint. Not that many out there-I KNOW.

Martin
Bonzi
Artest
KG
C-------->????

Bench- Garcia, Shareef, Monia(Possible back up PG?), veteran FA PG, assorted mix and match scrubs.

Just brainstorming...

G_M said:

4) Trade****using pixie dust*** KT and Corlis for a rebounding/defending Center. The guy does not have to be Ben Wallace just an actual deterent in the paint. Not that many out there-I KNOW.

Martin
Bonzi
Artest
KG
C-------->????

Bench- Garcia, Shareef, Monia(Possible back up PG?), veteran FA PG, assorted mix and match scrubs.

Just brainstorming...
I think you'd need a few pounds of pixie dust for #1 :)

nbrans said:

That lakers offer is garbage. Odom isn't that good, Bynum isn't that good, and Brown flatout sucks.

BMiller52 said:
That lakers offer is garbage. Odom isn't that good, Bynum isn't that good, and Brown flatout sucks.
Odem is formitable... Kwame is expiring contract... and Bynum is 18 freakign years old... I dont think even LA would offer that... Mini would be over joyed for it

G_M said:

Martin
Bonzi
Artest
KG
C-------->????

Just brainstorming...
I dotn see martin runnign the point... I dont see Arenas winnign championships... lol bibby is like arenas, likes the shot not the dime. Monia has never played for us... i dont think he'll get PG time. Honestly, im a big fan of the role player PG... Assist first, pure Role player. But With garnett, bibby will be very very handy. Just as he was with a healthy webber. Bibby with a super PF= all star "show me the money" player

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
G_M said:
Right idea maybe, but I think wrong youngster. Martin really has neither the ballhandling/passing skills nor the mentality of a PG. He's never been a distributor, not even in college. He's a scorer.

Of the younglings Garcia is the guy who might be able to pull it off. I worry about his ability to advance under pressure, but with (in the theoretical Artest/KG/Miller lineup) the bevy of ballhandling/passing guys on the frontline it might be difficult to trap us. And Cisco does have a distributing mentality and looks to pass.

People mention Arenas, but I'm not sure why. Much different style player than anybody on our team, even Bibby. He is not an OG, but a scoring a PG like many others. Unlike even Bibby, his game is one on one (Bibby' greatest strength is pick and roll). But Arenas has still played point, can still pass when motivated, is still very slick wiht the ball and comfortable having that ball and making decisions with it. Its a much different mentality than that of a true OG. Doug Christie could have been a semi-effective PG, but an Alan Houston or Rip Hamilton could not.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Insomniacal Fan said:
That might be money better invested in flubber research for brad...
Well, here you go...

http://www.physlink.com/estore/cart/RubberFlubberKit.cfm

The Rubber Flubber kit...Make rubber balls, foam rubber, erasers, rubber stamps, water proof cloth and rubber dinosaurs. Learn about the chemistry behind this amazing natural substance, the rubber. Contains: rubber latex, sodium bicarbonate, citric acid, pH paper, dino mold, cups, spoons, baggies, stirrers and instructions. Non-toxic and safe when used as directed. Not recommended for anyone allergic to latex or proteins. Recommended for ages 9 and up with adult supervision.

$12.95

:D

Oh and I was at the laker posts... and they dont seem to want KG... they think Kwame will become a "Dirk like player" and that they want to offer Cook and a # 1 pick... and thats it! .... THey love odom for some reason, and dont want to get rid of him... Either I read posts by morons, or the lakers fans really dont want KG. As for the kings! We need to do whatever it takes for him :)

Steven A Smith said LA is a possibility for where KG would be traded. I call BS on this. Lamar Odom was bearly enough for Ron Artest, whose trade value was at an all time low. When KG is put on the trade block, there will be teams that can offer so much more it's not even funny. I'm sure he just said LA because there are a lot of viewers in LA and he's telling them what they want to hear.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
BMiller52 said:
Steven A Smith said LA is a possibility for where KG would be traded. I call BS on this. Lamar Odom was bearly enough for Ron Artest, whose trade value was at an all time low. When KG is put on the trade block, there will be teams that can offer so much more it's not even funny. I'm sure he just said LA because there are a lot of viewers in LA and he's telling them what they want to hear.
The Lamar, Kwame, Bynum combo, when sweetened with a pick or two, isn't the best I can imagine, but its not horrible if they believe in Bynum.

Trust me people he's not going to LA. If there's one good thing about Mchale it's that he's a former Celtic and I think hates the Lakers. Plus there's teams that can make a better offer. Why would a guy who hates the lakers try to just help them out and make them better?