Omar Samhan?

I really think this kid deserves at least a camp invite from us. He's got all the skill, size, and personallity. He seems like a great guy very natural and truthful in his interviews. The only thing about him is he lacks that elite athleticism.

[yt=Omar Samhan]6hjeuxrhuMM[/yt]

And better yet he's a Laker hater!

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I really think this kid deserves at least a camp invite from us. He's got all the skill, size, and personallity. He seems like a great guy very natural and truthful in his interviews. The only thing about him is he lacks that elite athleticism.
I can't even see his name on the second round of those prominent mock drafts. And yet, he deserves camp invite from us? :confused:

I can't even see his name on the second round of those prominent mock drafts. And yet, he deserves camp invite from us? :confused:
Well, the reason he would be a likely candidate for a camp invite is because he probably won't get drafted. Seems to make sense to me.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
As I've said before, I like Samhan, and would love to have invited to play in our summer league, and based off that, perhaps to our preseason camp. He has a lot of skills, but he's definitely earth bound and won't win any foot races.. But he's a fundamentally sound player that will give you all he has and beat you up a little in the post.

The book is pretty straight forward on Omar. On defense, he’s not fast, but he's got good feet and is above average at doing a few things like showing and recovering on a pick and roll. However, he has almost no vertical leap. Therefore, he isn’t going to provide any shot blocking at the next level. While he was a good rebounder in college, I would anticipate his lack of explosiveness would limit his rebounding ability to average at best. So overall, he’s probably C+ on defense and rebounding.

But he possesses a skill the Kings have lacked at center since Vlade left – low post scoring. He’s got a ton of moves, is patient, and is a good and willing passer from the block. Whether that translates to the next level, depends upon whether he can adjust to the dramatic change in the level of opponent – particularly people who can get off the floor.

He’s a long shot to make it in the league, but he has size and a particular skill set. While the pundits don’t see him getting drafted and they are probably right, I wouldn’t be shocked to see a team take a Jerome James type flyer on him in the 50s.

If we take Cousins, I don’t see any interest on either side for Omar on the Kings summer league or training camp. Otherwise, with his skill set, our needs, and his local ties, I think both parties have to be interested in giving him a look on the Kings.