Old school Kings - Scot Pollard

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
A friend just posted on Facebook that Scot Pollard has some health issues. That he needs a heart transplant! Anyone know more info? I hope he will be okay.

Also, is there a place on this forum specifically for old school Kings discussions? If not, I think it's a good idea. Just a suggestion.
Obviously, we all wish the best for Scot and hope for a quick match and quicker recovery.

If you don't see something being covered in existing threads, feel free to start one with the desired topic!

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
A lot of players blow their money. Scot doesn't exactly strike me as the sort, but I don't know. Even smart people make bad investments. If people have the means and want to help them, more power to them I guess.

Not advisable to trust any of those websites that claim to know star's financials.
From Scot a while ago:

People see that I made $38 million in my career and they immediately assume you’re worth that. Fifty percent of that is gone to taxes. So now you’re down to $17 or $18 million. Four percent goes to your agent. You have to live. And there are legal expenses. You’ve got your financial advisor that takes a percentage of everything you invest. It chips away. There’s a 90 percent post-retirement divorce rate for NBA players, and I got divorced.

That being said - I am stoked for dude to get a second chance at life. Not his fault his heart quit on him, and I don’t think medical bills should bankrupt people. I’m hoping for a continued recovery for him and for health and happiness for his family.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
You’ve got your financial advisor that takes a percentage of everything you invest.
the kids that go to college should get a financial literacy course if they take one class. kinda crazy with the money they make they could do the most boring investments and quintuple their career income without having to give more than fractions of a percent to vanguard/fidelity/schwab.

Divorce will do it though. Looks like he rebounded nicely though.

@RoyalDiva is right though, I know some of those celebrity net worth place have reported people I am acquainted with as multiple millionaires and they are anything but (working musicians)

the kids that go to college should get a financial literacy course if they take one class. kinda crazy with the money they make they could do the most boring investments and quintuple their career income without having to give more than fractions of a percent to vanguard/fidelity/schwab.

@RoyalDiva is right though, I know some of those celebrity net worth place have reported people I am acquainted with as multiple millionaires and they are anything but (working musicians)
Man, even if one decides to go down the road of a managed portfolio (or a similar service), where they don't have to actively be involved in the everyday decisions of buying/selling more shares, or whatever the case may be, that would be a much better investment of their hard earned cash than some of the stuff that people drowning in an endless supply of Benjamin's end up doing once the smoke clears.

Not to side step the discussion but financial literacy should be taught in high school like a core class. I’ve spent more than a decade in school after high school and it was never once brought up. I didn’t really get a full grasp of it until 5-10 years after working and I’d argue it’s more important than anything I picked up in college