OKC and Some Perspective

K

Kingsguy881

The Thunder run a lot. That suits Westbrook's game. And it sure does help to not have to have the other teams best defender on you. That's designed for Durant. See the difference?
No he doesn't. If the tables were reversed, if Tyreke was the rookie and DMC the 2nd year player, well, there would be a heckuva difference there too. Tyreke could pick his spots and just step on it when he needed to and DMC would be the focal point of the defense.

Yeah I sure have. Have YOU? Westbrook relied too much on his jumper coming out and even in his second year he was a little out of control. Now granted, he hasn't had the injury issue that is currently slowing down Tyreke but I had Westbrook on my fantasy squad his first 2 years in the league so I watched him heavily. The only difference between Tyreke and Westbrook is elevation. They both are strong, weak jump shooting, get to the rim by bullying and finish well. Westbrook for the first half of last season was not the player that finished the season. He got better as the season went on. His first 15-20 games were not the best games of his career, not even looking at stats I know he sat a lot on my bench to start the season because he just didn't get that his jumper wasn't going to be the strongest point of his game. He elevated his game around the turn of the new year.

That help you out a bit, buddy guy?
No it doesn't, "buddy guy"...

I have no idea how you can say you've watched Westbrook heavily and that the only difference between him and Tyreke is elevation. Here are a few points:

1. His style of play is so much more constructive to winning than Tyreke. He is quicker. He controls the pace of the game better. He is a better defender. He moves the ball and creates offensive plays.

2. Westbrook possesses all the characteristics of a great PG. Tyreke, on the other hand, is great at getting to the rim, but has not yet defined his position, making it much harder to build a team around him. He is still missing key elements in his game to be a great PG or SG. He doesn't have the playmaking skills of a great PG, and he doesn't have the off-the-ball skills of a great SG.

3. Timeline comparisons are worthless, and assuming Tyreke will be as good as Westbrook by his 3rd year is just as foolish as assuming that he will be as good as LeBron because of the 20-5-5 rookie year. Last year, everyone in Sac and this forum was talking about how this year we are going to be like OKC and Tyreke will be an allstar on his way to dominating the league and becoming multiple-time MVP. That didn't work out, so now people are trying to say that this year, and not last year is our OKC' 2008-09 season. It just doesn't work that way. Kobe sucked in his rookie year. Does that mean that every player that sucks in their rookie year will eventually be as good as Kobe?...

K

Kingsguy881

<sigh>

You are just not getting it. In your mind, you are comparing what Westbrook is doing RIGHT NOW to what Tyreke is doing RIGHT NOW. In my mind, I'm comparing what Westbrook was doing this time LAST SEASON to what Tyreke is doing RIGHT NOW. Because that is where they were in their respective careers, if we are going to compare them.

Now, think about it even if the process hurts, k? Tyreke was super explosive last season (pre plantar). Tyreke was able to penetrate at will and if he couldn't finish he was able to find someone for an open shot, hence the 7 or so assists he avg in the last 2 months of the season. This year, he is hobbled by a sore ankle which kept him off team USA and is slowing him down immensely (like Derrick Rose to start last season) not to mention the plantar issue which is contributing. So, no ankle/plantar issue, Tyreke would still be explosive (which of course he will be again, prolly in about 20-30 games if he takes it easy if not then next season).

Westbrook came out of UCLA and there were major questions as to whether or not he could play the pg position. He was somewhat adequate in his rookie season, but they kept at it and eventually after 30-40 games into his SECOND SEASON it started to click and him and Durantula became a dynamic duo. Westbrook was not 'controlling the flow of the game' at this point last year, Durant was scoring lights out and Westbrook was trying to find out where he could fit his in AT THIS POINT LAST SEASON. Right before the all star break Westbrook figured it out and from then on he was outstanding, and starting his third season after a strong USA showing he is looking like a legit all star.

Do you follow there, spanky?

K

Kingsguy881

I'm not saying that Tyreke and Westbrook will be the same players and have the same career. But what I am doing is pointing out the similarities in their second seasons and assuming that Tyreke has not hit his ceiling which you seem to keep emulating that he is not going to get better like Westbrook did. I'm pointing out that Westbrook got better in seasons 1,2, and 3 and that Tyreke will do the same. I'm trying to point out to you that at this point in Westbrooks second season, he was not much better than Tyreke is right now. You are not getting that point. Good luck with the headaches homie. Out.

<sigh>

You are just not getting it. In your mind, you are comparing what Westbrook is doing RIGHT NOW to what Tyreke is doing RIGHT NOW. In my mind, I'm comparing what Westbrook was doing this time LAST SEASON to what Tyreke is doing RIGHT NOW. Because that is where they were in their respective careers, if we are going to compare them.

Now, think about it even if the process hurts, k? Tyreke was super explosive last season (pre plantar). Tyreke was able to penetrate at will and if he couldn't finish he was able to find someone for an open shot, hence the 7 or so assists he avg in the last 2 months of the season. This year, he is hobbled by a sore ankle which kept him off team USA and is slowing him down immensely (like Derrick Rose to start last season) not to mention the plantar issue which is contributing. So, no ankle/plantar issue, Tyreke would still be explosive (which of course he will be again, prolly in about 20-30 games if he takes it easy if not then next season).

Westbrook came out of UCLA and there were major questions as to whether or not he could play the pg position. He was somewhat adequate in his rookie season, but they kept at it and eventually after 30-40 games into his SECOND SEASON it started to click and him and Durantula became a dynamic duo. Westbrook was not 'controlling the flow of the game' at this point last year, Durant was scoring lights out and Westbrook was trying to find out where he could fit his in AT THIS POINT LAST SEASON. Right before the all star break Westbrook figured it out and from then on he was outstanding, and starting his third season after a strong USA showing he is looking like a legit all star.

Do you follow there, spanky?
Oh yes, spanky, thank you for showing me the light. Now I know that Tyreke will be a league-shattering combination of Lebron, Westbrook, and Michael Jordan, because it is all suddenly clear to me - Westbrook wasn't as good last year as he is this year. It makes so much sense.

K

Kingsguy881

Oh yes, spanky, thank you for showing me the light. Now I know that Tyreke will be a league-shattering combination of Lebron, Westbrook, and Michael Jordan, because it is all suddenly clear to me - Westbrook wasn't as good last year as he is this year. It makes so much sense.
Look, acting like a baby will only get you sympathy from dumb women and your mommy.

I must admit that this argument rings a bell.

it is kinda the argument that I used with my mother about Einstien, homework and success in school.

unfortunately, there are many kids failling school but only one Einstien...

I must admit that this argument rings a bell.

it is kinda the argument that I used with my mother about Einstien, homework and success in school.

unfortunately, there are many kids failling school but only one Einstien...
Einstein was very successful in school. Weird that this misconception is pretty engrained.