Off season targets

Marc Stein: The Pelicans have expressed interest in Lauri Markkanen and hold a sizable trade exception ($17 million) to take the restricted free agent in on a contract he seeks, sources say. The Bulls, though, are said to want a first-round pick to facilitate. More: marcstein.substack.com

18 mins ago – via Twitter TheSteinLine

So if bulls want a 1st for Pels to take on Lauri Money using TPE

I would think pels would rather give up 1st and Hart for Buddy
Kings get a SF , 1st and save some Dollars
King could afford then to use MLE on another player
I dont think we could use Bagley or MLE to go after Lauri, but would be nice

Marc Stein: The Pelicans have expressed interest in Lauri Markkanen and hold a sizable trade exception ($17 million) to take the restricted free agent in on a contract he seeks, sources say. The Bulls, though, are said to want a first-round pick to facilitate. More: marcstein.substack.com

18 mins ago – via Twitter TheSteinLine

So if bulls want a 1st for Pels to take on Lauri Money using TPE

I would think pels would rather give up 1st and Hart for Buddy
Kings get a SF , 1st and save some Dollars
King could afford then to use MLE on another player
I dont think we could use Bagley or MLE to go after Lauri, but would be nice
I'd call bs and force the Bulls to match. Pretty good odds they wont.

I'd call bs and force the Bulls to match. Pretty good odds they wont.
Im not sure if Pels can offer more than the MLE 9.5 for multi-yrs?
Lauri QO is 9m so without a S+T, I dont think Lauri would accept the MLE Offer sheet he would rather
Play 1 yr for 9m to get to UFA
If Lauri accepts Offer sheet
Bulls lets him go for -0-
Bulls match hoping to use as Trade asset later
not sure if Bulls have Luxury space to match or not

Who Blinks first LOL

So question to all...

Why has no-one out there offered at least a multi-year MLE to Markkanen? I know there are reports of the Bulls supposedly stating quietly that they will match, BUT having blown their wads on Ball, Lavine, Vucevich, and Derozan, are they really willing to throw another $10M per at Markkanen? And even if they are, there dont appear to be any other FA that we seem interested in, so why not force their hand to see what they will do? Its not a big deal if our cap space is tied up until they sign because we dont appear to be chasing anyone with the MLE currently, and any potential future deal we make for (Simmons or Siakam or others) will he with signed assets and picks, so why not throw the MLE (3yr/$30) at Markkanen, last year can be player option. It gives him flexibility and protection, and us a player that actually fits next to holmes offensively. Yes Defense leaves a lot to be desired but he isnt any worse than bagley. Additionally, if no-one has even offered a deal better the his QO, how much does he think he will get next year when as an UFA when his role on the team this year will be further diminished? I think we throw the MLE at him and see if it sticks. Of the Bulls match, ok that just removes a potential competitor in FA next year. If not we get a gifted offensive big who actually stretches the floor.

So question to all...

Why has no-one out there offered at least a multi-year MLE to Markkanen? I know there are reports of the Bulls supposedly stating quietly that they will match, BUT having blown their wads on Ball, Lavine, Vucevich, and Derozan, are they really willing to throw another $10M per at Markkanen? And even if they are, there dont appear to be any other FA that we seem interested in, so why not force their hand to see what they will do? Its not a big deal if our cap space is tied up until they sign because we dont appear to be chasing anyone with the MLE currently, and any potential future deal we make for (Simmons or Siakam or others) will he with signed assets and picks, so why not throw the MLE (3yr/$30) at Markkanen, last year can be player option. It gives him flexibility and protection, and us a player that actually fits next to holmes offensively. Yes Defense leaves a lot to be desired but he isnt any worse than bagley. Additionally, if no-one has even offered a deal better the his QO, how much does he think he will get next year when as an UFA when his role on the team this year will be further diminished? I think we throw the MLE at him and see if it sticks. Of the Bulls match, ok that just removes a potential competitor in FA next year. If not we get a gifted offensive big who actually stretches the floor.
I believe Kings only have 5.8 of their MLE left to make an offer sheet, which is less than the QO
I believe the only rumored suitor for Lauri that has the full MLE of 9.5 avail is Minnesota
Even if Minn sends a multi yr 9.5 Offer sheet, Im not sure Lauri would sign it, He would prob take the 9M QO for 1 yr to get to UFA

I believe Kings only have 5.8 of their MLE left to make an offer sheet, which is less than the QO
I believe the only rumored suitor for Lauri that has the full MLE of 9.5 avail is Minnesota
Even if Minn sends a multi yr 9.5 Offer sheet, Im not sure Lauri would sign it, He would prob take the 9M QO for 1 yr to get to UFA
Nevermind - he is going to Cleveland in S&T - 67m over 4 yrs Wow

Jerami Grant would be a good trade target for us if the goal is to win now vs. building slowly around our young guys.

Our current depth chart is as follows:

PG - Fox / Mitchell
SG - Haliburton / Hield / Davis / Ramsey
SF - Barnes / Harkless / King
PF - Bagley / Metu / Woodard
C - Holmes / Thompson / Len / Queta / Jones

SF/PF (depending on where you play Barnes) is our weak link at the moment. You're either starting someone like Bagley or Harkless at PF or you're starting someone like Hield at SF. All of these options leave me underwhelmed.

Adding Jerami Grant to the team would give us a very solid starting 5 that complements each other. Not to mention we'd have legitimate size at all positions in our starting 5:
  • Fox = 6'3.25" in shoes / 6'6.5" wingspan / 8'4" standing reach / 185 lbs
  • Haliburton = 6'5" in shoes / 6'7.5" wingspan / N/A standing reach / 175 lbs
  • Barnes = 6'8" in shoes / 6'11.25" wingspan / 8'6" standing reach / 228 lbs
  • Grant = 6'7.75" in shoes / 7'2.75" wingspan / 8'11" standing reach / 214 lbs
  • Holmes = 6'9.5" in shoes / 7'1.5" wingspan / 9'0" standing reach / 243 lbs

As far as trades go, you could look at something like:

Marvin Bagley
Tristan Thompson
2022 SAC 1st (Top 4 Protected)

for

Jerami Grant

Detroit gets a 1st round pick to further build around Cunningham, Bey, Stewart, Hayes, Doumbouya, & their future 1st round picks. Kings get an upgrade to their roster at the SF/PF spot who can:
  • Knock down the 3 (averaged 5 3PA per36 and 37.5% over the last 3 years)
  • Play defense on the perimeter
  • Protect the rim (averaged 1.2 blocks per36 over the last 3 years)
  • Make solid passes in the flow of the offense (1.33 AST:TO over the last 3 years)
  • Provide an efficient scoring punch when needed (averaged 17.9 point per36 with a 57.8% TS% over the last 3 years)