NOOOOO! Kings looking at Walker?!?!

Oh dear god!!! I hope this is just a rumor. Getting walker would be a complete step back for this team, I would rather have kenny thomas or brian skinner starting over him. At least they are in shape and don't chuck up 3 pointers with 16 left on the shot clock. I just hate even thinking about getting a player like that...... just.......EWWW!!!!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Ryle said:
Come on guys and girls, Walker is not that bad. His shot selection is poor(and Adelmans coaching won't help that) but the guy is a really good low post scorer and can rebound the hell out of the basketball. If I told you we were getting a player that averaged 19 points, 9 boards and about 3.5 assists but didn't tell you his name would you be happy???

I'm not totally excited about this but he is a real good passer and rebounder.
So, in essence, we got rid of Webber for Antoine Walker?

Yeah...

Well, at least Walker and Brad can make money on the side with their "bitter beer face" endorsements.

BigSong said:
so your willing to give the self-proclaimed "volume shooter" a chance but Brown is completely out of the picture? i don't see the Kings needing his offense, and since his defense lacks severly he isn't a good fit.
No, don't get it twisted...

I do not like Kwame Brown...he would be the last guy that I would want to come here...cuz yes his game isn't all that impressive to me and I do view him to be very half-assed, lazy and heartless...and yes their are other guys that are considered "a risk" that I'd would want before Kwame...but I don't get a vote in the matter...the fact of the matter IS that if he did end up coming here and putting on a Sacramento Kings uniform that means he is a King and I'm gonna cheer for him and root for him just like I cheer and root for everyone else on the Kings and once he's a King in ink I would be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and see what he can really do with us just like I would for Walker or any other guy that ended up landing in Sacto

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Don't take it too seriously, card32. Generally, if you see ANYTHING about a possible Petrie deal before it's actually announced, it doesn't happen.

Don't grab those rusty razor blades quite yet.

VF21 said:
Don't take it too seriously, card32. Generally, if you see ANYTHING about a possible Petrie deal before it's actually announced, it doesn't happen.

Don't grab those rusty razor blades quite yet.
I say it is a smoke screen to cover for our masterplan

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
AleksandarN said:
I think this a smoke screen to make Denver think that we do not need Nene and therefor we do not need to do a trade and sign with them. That would put even more pressure to get a sign and trade done for Mobley

;)
Lol.

Gerbil. :)

AleksandarN said:
I am not altogether confident we have a masterplan anymore. I think that was thrown out the window when Webb went down in a heap in Dallas. Ever since then this organization has been treading water, looking for a rescue boat.

AleksandarN said:
sure, tahts possible, or people just spread rumors and have their own smoke screens and Geoff just sits back and waits for it all to play out so he can make his major move to make this team that much better. I see us somehow getting a player we never thought we could get but because of the market he is in, or the owner/gm he has, or other needs the team has will make him available.

Yoda said:
I am not altogether confident we have a masterplan anymore. I think that was thrown out the window when Webb went down in a heap in Dallas. Ever since then this organization has been treading water, looking for a rescue boat.
That makes sense, although I'm not sure if I agree with it, mostly because it IS GP...but I wouldn't be suprised if I were wrong.

Damn injuries...

(I just now saw the Jay Leno thing w/Bibby and Webber, and it's really sad having them talk about keeping the same thing going for 4-5 years...*sigh*)

I really don't get this...Walker is definitely not the best PF in the game, but he won't single-handedly ruin this team. If we could get a sign+trade for Cuttino, rather than let him just walk away, I would be very happy. There aren't any better options out there, especially because Denver is not going to give up Nene. Bibby, Peja, Miller, Walker, Garcia? starting sounds a lot better than Mike, Peja, Brad, KT and Garcia. KT and Skinner are both good players, but they are even less plausible starters on a championship team than Walker (outside of the Nazr Mohammed in SA story, but I mean starting and contibuting majorly). If we let nothing happen and keep our line-up as is, we will be a .500 team, and that's being generous. Walker would make us a decent, maybe playoff team. We could also trade him midway through his contract. I like the idea of keeping this team afloat and moving forward rather than continuing to sink into mediocrity. I'm not defending him, and he's definitely not the best choice, but someone please offer a better, REALISTIC way to improve this team. And if you think we can keep going like we are now, then by the time we're actually rid of the big contracts we picked up in the Webber deal, we'll be the Clippers.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I've mentioned before -- get young guys. Get them now. Build for the future. Picking up a 29 yr old guy who can't get you where you want to go , takes yup salary, and is in the way of developing players is pointless. It speaks of a lack of ambition to ever be anything more than mediocre. What are we doing it for? So we can maybe win 50 again? Big whoop. I mean really. Was winning 50 and getting punted in the first round really that much fun?

Go young, go for guys who can be something one day, who CAN make a difference. And if you lose a few more games THIS season because of it? Who cares. We aren't in contention either way. But with walker we never will be in the future either. Get the right kid in here, and maybe he is one day a major part of us getting back to the top.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
captain bill said:
I really don't get this...Walker is definitely not the best PF in the game, but he won't single-handedly ruin this team. If we could get a sign+trade for Cuttino, rather than let him just walk away, I would be very happy. There aren't any better options out there, especially because Denver is not going to give up Nene. Bibby, Peja, Miller, Walker, Garcia? starting sounds a lot better than Mike, Peja, Brad, KT and Garcia. KT and Skinner are both good players, but they are even less plausible starters on a championship team than Walker (outside of the Nazr Mohammed in SA story, but I mean starting and contibuting majorly). If we let nothing happen and keep our line-up as is, we will be a .500 team, and that's being generous. Walker would make us a decent, maybe playoff team. We could also trade him midway through his contract. I like the idea of keeping this team afloat and moving forward rather than continuing to sink into mediocrity. I'm not defending him, and he's definitely not the best choice, but someone please offer a better, REALISTIC way to improve this team. And if you think we can keep going like we are now, then by the time we're actually rid of the big contracts we picked up in the Webber deal, we'll be the Clippers.
It isn't a matter of whether or not he will single-handedly ruin the team. It's a matter of if he will actually benefit the team.

As far as your comment about "if you think we can keep going like we are now"? I don't want us to keep going like we are now. We were flushed out of the first round of playoffs by Seattle. We don't have a starting two guard and we have a gaping hole where a constructive PF should be. Antoine Walker is a pouty-faced whiner. I would rather move Brad Miller to the 4 and start Greg Ostertag at center than see Walker in a Kings uniform.

This won't happen. It can't. Petrie is too smart. If we some how catch Antonoinitis (get it, like a disease) then we can officially say goodbye to any serious playoff hopes for the duration of his tenure in a kings uniform. Antoine Focker isn't even worth the MLE, and if the Kings sign him, I'll see you when he's gone, I'll just have to go find an i'll fated EC team to root for.

"I WON'T BE A KINGS FAN if we trade for HIM... he's a hoodlum with a horrible attitude!!"

Why does this feel so familiar... oh yeah, it's exactly how I felt about Chris Webber when he was traded to the Kings... think about it...

Last edited:
VF21 said:
It isn't a matter of whether or not he will single-handedly ruin the team. It's a matter of if he will actually benefit the team.

As far as your comment about "if you think we can keep going like we are now"? I don't want us to keep going like we are now. We were flushed out of the first round of playoffs by Seattle. We don't have a starting two guard and we have a gaping hole where a constructive PF should be. Antoine Walker is a pouty-faced whiner. I would rather move Brad Miller to the 4 and start Greg Ostertag at center than see Walker in a Kings uniform.
I agree completely, and I also agree with Brick about getting the young guys and bringing them in. I would absolutley love to have Nene to help build for the future. I just don't see that happening. I would like having Walker only so far as he prevents us from collapsing completely and, if he gets a few good seasons, we could trade him for good young talent, like after J-Will had good flash in Sac and got traded for a solid young guy in Mike Bibby.

Here is what I would like to see: K9/Bobby/Cat for Nene/Jarret Jack/filler. Trade some older, proven guys for young talent. I love Jack a lot and have dreamed for a couple years that he might end up in a King's uni. Of course, Denver is far too smart to go for something like.

Ultimately, it's not that I think Walker will take our team anywhere, but he might be a bridge to something better in the future. I like moving to stay afloat and keep some trade pieces rather than let our collateral just walk out the door and slowly sink to less and less. Think of it this way: trading Christie was smart not because Cat was better for our team, but because Cat has far more value and is (theoretically) easier to move than Doug. Right now we have a valuable trading piece about to walk out the door. With a choice between nothing and nothing (in terms of court additions) and some trade value, I'd take the trade value. Look ahead a year: a talentless team over the cap with no trading pieces or a talented, dysfunctional team that can be traded around for better value. I'd take the latter, a tough pill to swallow but ultimately better than dreaming of landing the PF of the future for nothing.

AleksandarN said:
There is different between Webber and Falker and it is called talent
19/9/3 does not come for free. Selfish, a poor fit, a cancer, bad for the team are all statements that can be argued for. His talent, however, shouldn't be questioned. Unless you take every shot for your team and live all alone under the hoop, those numbers are impossible to gather without talent. There is a difference in talent, in that Webber has a helluvalot more than Walker, but that doesn't mean that Walker is entirely without talent.

captain bill said:
19/9/3 does not come for free. Selfish, a poor fit, a cancer, bad for the team are all statements that can be argued for. His talent, however, shouldn't be questioned. Unless you take every shot for your team and live all alone under the hoop, those numbers are impossible to gather without talent. There is a difference in talent, in that Webber has a helluvalot more than Walker, but that doesn't mean that Walker is entirely without talent.
His talent should be questioned if someone is going to compare him to Webber

AleksandarN said:
His talent should be questioned if someone is going to compare him to Webber
The comparison to Webber only went as far as saying that he shouldn't be so universally condemned based on his reputation prior to his arrival. The post made no mention of actual talent. The comparison arrises because Webber and Walker have similar skill sets (while Webber is much, much better at those skills) and both carry similar reputations. The poster, in my reading, said that should Walker arrive, it won't signal the end of the Kings' world, and Walker should at least be given a chance to prove himself on the court for the Kings, should he be aquired.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
He would, of course, be given a chance to prove himself. That doesn't change the fact that a number of Kings fans would just prefer not to go through it...

It's all talk and speculation anyway, at this point.

iheartBrad said:
No, don't get it twisted...

I do not like Kwame Brown...he would be the last guy that I would want to come here...cuz yes his game isn't all that impressive to me and I do view him to be very half-assed, lazy and heartless...and yes their are other guys that are considered "a risk" that I'd would want before Kwame...but I don't get a vote in the matter...the fact of the matter IS that if he did end up coming here and putting on a Sacramento Kings uniform that means he is a King and I'm gonna cheer for him and root for him just like I cheer and root for everyone else on the Kings and once he's a King in ink I would be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and see what he can really do with us just like I would for Walker or any other guy that ended up landing in Sacto
Ok, i still contend that Brown's upside is more than anything walker will give us. yeah Brown's a ? mark, but with walker you know what your getting, a guy whose thinking score 24/7 and pass only when hes triple-teamed. And we already have scorers, better scorers.

captain bill said:
The comparison to Webber only went as far as saying that he shouldn't be so universally condemned based on his reputation prior to his arrival. The post made no mention of actual talent. The comparison arrises because Webber and Walker have similar skill sets (while Webber is much, much better at those skills) and both carry similar reputations. The poster, in my reading, said that should Walker arrive, it won't signal the end of the Kings' world, and Walker should at least be given a chance to prove himself on the court for the Kings, should he be aquired.
Yes but talent played in a part in Petrie over looking Webber's reputation prior to his arrival. The rewards were greater than the risks but with Walker that I think is not the case I am afraid.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is what I would like to see: K9/Bobby/Cat for Nene/Jarret Jack/filler. Trade some older, proven guys for young talent. I love Jack a lot and have dreamed for a couple years that he might end up in a King's uni.
Jarrett Jack isn't Denver's to trade. They already dealt him to the Blazers on draft night.

One problem with a Cat for Nene deal (a bigger problem is that I think the Nuggets aren't interested) is that Nene is still on his rookie deal and thus has a relatively low salary. Bobby could be included in a deal (again, I don't see the Nuggets interested) but Kenny Thomas has too big a deal.

Denver would already have to throw in salary to make a Mobley/Nene swap, let alone other Kings players. In general I would feel better about the possibility of a Denver trade if the Nuggets had a big contract that they were trying ot rid themselves of. As it is, I don't see the Kings making a deal with them.

As for the Walker talk, I'm not putting any stock into it at this point. During the summer, the majority of public news is coming from player agents. I don't see Boston having much interest in Mobley (they are starting a youth movement) so who would the Kings ship to Boston. If it's Kenny Thomas, then my objections to Walker wouldn't be as strong. Otherwise, I hope Petrie is rolling his eyes while taking these calls.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, i still contend that Brown's upside is more than anything walker will give us. yeah Brown's a ? mark, but with walker you know what your getting, a guy whose thinking score 24/7 and pass only when hes triple-teamed. And we already have scorers, better scorers.
Other than the fact that he seemed to put up career bests against a hobbled Webber, I don't understand the draw with Kwame Brown. And not just from Kings fans. Fans around the league are hoping Kwame will end up in their uniform.

This is a kid who averaged 7 points and under 5 rebounds this season, who is a career 45% shooter despite being a big man, and whose team didn't even want his services during a playoff run. And this was a contract year for him. What gives anyone the idea that he can be anything more than what he's shown to be so far?

And what potential he has shown still doesn't lead me to believe that he could ever be the rebounder/shotblocker that the Kings could really use at the PF spot.

i highly doubt this will happen. thinking of walker on the kings makes me wanna puke!! i also don't think petrie would want to completely ruin his reputation as a great GM.