NFL 2021-2022 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I don't think Shanahan gonna be around much longer if he keeps this up. What's his and Lynch's relationship, I know John played for Papa Shanny, but from what I can tell Lynch was only hired a week before Kyle? I just don't think they were on the same page with the QB pick but is he really gonna wreck his job the way daddy did in Denver by hitching his wagon to the wrong guy? (appears so).

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I don't think Shanahan gonna be around much longer if he keeps this up. What's his and Lynch's relationship, I know John played for Papa Shanny, but from what I can tell Lynch was only hired a week before Kyle? I just don't think they were on the same page with the QB pick but is he really gonna wreck his job the way daddy did in Denver by hitching his wagon to the wrong guy? (appears so).
Feels like the more apt comparison may be Andy Reid's last years in Philly when his team got Mike Vick, who was clearly out performing old McNabb and Nick Foles, but he stubbornly kept playing McNabb instead because McNabb's floor was much higher than Vick's. Both coaches are undeniable schematic geniuses but seem to fail in the personnel management/ team-wide aspects of the coaching experience at times.

Andy Reid stuck with Alex Smith an entire season in lieu of playing Mahomes and, while many people will argue that sitting for a year helped Mahomes become arguably the best pure passer of all time, there's a good chance that he would have been just as amazing eventually regardless of him watching Alex Smith check down and dink-and-dunk his way down the field for sixteen games. I'm not going to say Trey is the next Mahomes by any means or anything but the situations are not entirely dissimilar (until Mahomes proved to be so ridiculously good that Andy had no choice but to trade Alex). Shanahan believes his schemes can win a Super Bowl every season as long as his players don't play so bad that they get inn his way. In his mind, Jimmy G. probably won't light the world on fire but he's a steady-enough hand that the wheels probably won't fall off the wagon come game day.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Feels like the more apt comparison may be Andy Reid's last years in Philly when his team got Mike Vick, who was clearly out performing old McNabb and Nick Foles, but he stubbornly kept playing McNabb instead because McNabb's floor was much higher than Vick's, Both coaches are undeniable schematic geniuses but seem to fail in the personnel management/ team-wide aspects of the coaching experience.

Andy Reid stuck with Alex Smith an entire season in lieu of playing Mahomes and, while many people will argue that sitting for a year helped Mahomes become arguably the best pure passer of all time, there's a good chance that he would have been just as amazing eventually regardless of him watching Alex Smith check down and dink-and-dunk his way down the field for sixteen games. I'm not going to say Trey is the next Mahomes or anything but the situations are not entirely dissimilar (until Mahomes proved to be so ridiculously good that Andy had no choice but to trade Alex)
Yeah PapaS threw coach for life status away for loser Cutler so other than just going with the wrong guy there's not much in common.

I dont get the hate for Shanahan. Do you guys want to roll the dice and wind up with another Tomsula, Kelly, Singletary, Nolan or Ericksson? Those guys are way more common than Harbaugh and Shanahan.

Guarantee they'll wind up like the Kings in purgatory while Shanahan goes on to Mike Malone somewhere else.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I dont get the hate for Shanahan. Do you guys want to roll the dice and wind up with another Tomsula, Kelly, Singletary, Nolan or Ericksson? Those guys are way more common than Harbaugh and Shanahan.

Guarantee they'll wind up like the Kings in purgatory while Shanahan goes on to Mike Malone somewhere else.
I’m not close to a “FIRE SHANAHAN” yet, but I’d be lying hard if I didn’t say a lot of his shine is wearing off pretty quickly. Yeah, a lot of it has to do with the whole QB situation but there’s been some flags ever since THE TRADE that just seem a little off. Kind of getting Harbaugh last year vibes with a stubborn coach.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I’m not close to a “FIRE SHANAHAN” yet, but I’d be lying hard if I didn’t say a lot of his shine is wearing off pretty quickly. Yeah, a lot of it has to do with the whole QB situation but there’s been some flags ever since THE TRADE that just seem a little off. Kind of getting Harbaugh last year vibes with a stubborn coach.
To be fair, that last Harbaugh season really went off the rails because Harbaugh, Greg Roman, Vic Fangio, and Trent Baalke all hated each other and the only dude in the coaching staff that any of the players seemed to like by the end of the year was Jim Tomsula.

Kyle and Lynch still seem to like each other and the current coordinators are first year dudes (might be part of what's been leading to the Niners struggles) so I don't anticipate this year's team crashing and burning and leading to four years of calamity like that one did, especially since all of the good players on this current squad are much younger than that year's guys were (by the end of the year, Bowman was still out after that terrible knee injury, Willis suffered a toe injury that would make him retire, Aldon was ten bottles deep, Justin Smith was pretty much done, Anquon Boldin was like 37 years old, and Frank Gore was getting shoved out the door).

And, while I still have issues with the way Kyle's called games this year, this offense is still much more enjoyable to watch than the boring ugly offense Harbaugh and Roman insisted on running in any game aside from the ones against the Packers for some reason.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I'm not pro-firing anybody, I just think it appears that coach and GM may not be on the same QB page and when that happens usually coach goes first. I could be totally wrong as the 9ers aren't a team I follow more than casually.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I'm not pro-firing anybody, I just think it appears that coach and GM may not be on the same QB page and when that happens usually coach goes first. I could be totally wrong as the 9ers aren't a team I follow more than casually.
The thing is, I think that once the Niners traded up, both the GM and coach wanted Trey at #3. So much of the media reports about Mac and the Niners really does seem to be reporters seeing Kyle's fascination with Kirk Cousins and connecting him to the most Kirky QB in the draft class without stopping to consider if the Niners would actually need to move up to have that happen. Kyle runs the entire football operations side of the team with him getting full say in every acquisition. If he didn't want Trey, they wouldn't have picked Trey. I'm sure there was another part of Kyle that would have been perfectly happy with staying put and taking Mac and probably trading Jimmy G. back to the Pats but he decided on taking the upside swing and picking the rawer prospect with unbelievable physical tools that he believed he could mold into his version of Mahomes/Rodgers/Russ.

The pick has never been a point of conflict. The timing of the QB shift from Jimmy to Trey, however, appears to be the bigger issue, with Shanahan apparently not giving any snaps to Trey in practice beyond scout team work and then suffering for it the second Jimmy pulls up lame in true Jimmy fashion.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I guess Jamie Collins is a done deal though (as soon as Gilmore clears waivers) so having someone in that wants to be there is a plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.