NFL 2021-2022 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hasty kind of sucks, Moestert is gone … but did we really need a third round RB with Mitchell, Wilson, and Sermon around? I can’t wrap my head around this one.
This guy has great vision, is bigger, and just as fast. Was a level better than Davis-Price when Ucla played LSU. For next year:

At a certain point, height doesn't matter when you've got the quick twitch speed that Gray has. Only reason the guy lasted this long in the draft.
He flashed, but as I said above, I thought Roberson was the better WR. Think Roberson is battling an injury though, so may not be drafted.

I think it shows we reaaaallly don't like Trey Sermon. Like he might be on the chopping block/cut type of trouble with us.

Eli is clearly entrenched; Shanny basically never gives the workload to anybody that he gave to him last year. Wilson is valuable on Special teams. So, to me, this is saying Sermon is going to be fighting for his job/out the door.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
That group was so good last year that we had to use Deebo at RB.
Yeah, Mitchell was really good but also injured most of the season and Trey Sermon pretty much lost the entire year once he got injured in the Eagles game. Wilson hasn't really been himself since coming back from his own injury and Hasty hasn't really lived up to his great debut. As far as Shanahan was concerned, RB was a huge area of need and the guy we picked is one of the most durable guys in the class.

Fast, but they dumped Mostert who was their top-end speed (home-runner) --- Unless there was more skeletons on Mostert's condition, why not keep him for the threat next year. Shanahan is all about the 4 yards. I didn't like the LSU RB pick much - they have short yard back Sermon already and Wilson Jr - redundant pick.. LB/Edge Jackson was good. Gray looked ok, a satisfactory pick - good burst. The 49ers could use a punter too if I remember.

Whether or not 49ers do "better:"rides heavily on Lance - he's on the clock this year - he's gonna have to earn his keep - his reads and processing have to improve by a good chunk. And honestly, the 49ers overachieved last year, they're unlikely to do better frankly - considering how average they looked in the regular season, they had a wildly successful post season. Beating a markedly better Packer team in winter conditions was historic. I wonder if the 49ers are gonna trade Garrapolo - maybe not. Next season may look like last season QB-wise for 49ers unfortunately - in other words average compared to the league.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
The Shanahan 49ers have gotten good production from the RB position every year and usually it hasn't come form the players we expect. They might as well draft a RB every year just to keep the turnstile moving, especially now that so many of their draft finds (Kittle, Warner, Bosa, Deebo?) are getting expensive. The only significant need left is a replacement C for Alex Mack though Robbie Gould is turning 40 this year so maybe Lynch goes after the LSU kicker too?

Fast, but they dumped Mostert who was their top-end speed (home-runner) --- Unless there was more skeletons on Mostert's condition, why not keep him for the threat next year. Shanahan is all about the 4 yards. I didn't like the LSU RB pick much - they have short yard back Sermon already and Wilson Jr - redundant pick.. LB/Edge Jackson was good. Gray looked ok, a satisfactory pick - good burst. The 49ers could use a punter too if I remember.

Whether or not 49ers do "better:"rides heavily on Lance - he's on the clock this year - he's gonna have to earn his keep - his reads and processing have to improve by a good chunk. And honestly, the 49ers overachieved last year, they're unlikely to do better frankly - considering how average they looked in the regular season, they had a wildly successful post season. Beating a markedly better Packer team in winter conditions was historic. I wonder if the 49ers are gonna trade Garrapolo - maybe not. Next season may look like last season QB-wise for 49ers unfortunately - in other words average compared to the league.
Niners just don’t value running backs, so it came down to money for Mostert. Going back to Mike Shanahan’s days. I read that he met with Mike and not Kyle. Maybe they see him as Terrell Davis 2.0. Niners like RBs, who are one cut and go with plus vision. Sermon hesitated too much last year when hitting the hole. He needs to fix that or they’ll likely cut him. Zach Charbonnet has the best vision in college football packaged in a 6’2 body with speed. Watch out for him next year.

Getting a consistent vertical threat at the WR3 spot is important, because I think the Niners are counting on more off schedule plays as Lance scrambles. Stretch the field. More space for others.

Niners need a nickel and a safety. There are some players like Smoke Nelson, Quentin Lake, and Quartez Knight who I think will be ten year pros.

Plus a center, but I have no idea who is legit at that spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.