NCAA Tourney 2022

I always felt AZ’s biggest advantage was there two 7 footers. Didn’t think UCLA could beat them this year unless their wings had a plus, plus three point shooting game. Houston had a plus, plus game from three. Thereby nullifying Az’s two shot blockers.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Arizona absolutely stunk tonight. Refs hurt both teams. Houston is an experienced team and it lead the way. I actually like them and Nova playing since it's two good teams that rely on experience. I assume Benn and Koloko are gone and first rounders but I think Benn maybe fell back to 6 and Koloko out of the lottery if Sunday's performance snuck him in. Hope the rest of the guys stay.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Arizona absolutely stunk tonight. Refs hurt both teams. Houston is an experienced team and it lead the way. I actually like them and Nova playing since it's two good teams that rely on experience. I assume Benn and Koloko are gone and first rounders but I think Benn maybe fell back to 6 and Koloko out of the lottery if Sunday's performance snuck him in. Hope the rest of the guys stay.
I could see Koloko staying another season but Benn would be dumb not to declare for the draft, considering every draft pundit's lasting impression of him will be the thirty point explosion in the round of 32.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
One of my friends said Koloko's dad might push him to stay. That's wild. Tubelis was likely to bolt at the start of the season but he really fell off since returning from injury. I think he'd go undrafted.

One of my friends said Koloko's dad might push him to stay. That's wild. Tubelis was likely to bolt at the start of the season but he really fell off since returning from injury. I think he'd go undrafted.
Koloko should go if he’s a first rounder. His role is basically Capela in the NBA. Staying in college won’t improve that.

Here’s a blurb about Banchero from the athletic (recived via email):

Paolo Banchero is that dude. Duke escaped a pesky Texas Tech squad, 78-73, thanks to Banchero’s 22 points. Banchero looked like an NBA player on the floor for most of the night, affecting the Red Raiders on defense and showcasing the ability to get his own bucket whenever he wanted on the offensive end. With Gonzaga and Arizona out, the Blue Devils have to be considered favorites to win it all

Banchero was impressive last night.

Going to be a sad sight to see him go to another team.
I don't get the he's a bully ball driver. Yea, he can do it with his build, but he beats dudes based on skill, vision, and anticipation. Not just brute force. Just look at the film from last night.

I don't get the he's a bully ball driver. Yea, he can do it with his build, but he beats dudes based on skill, vision, and anticipation. Not just brute force. Just look at the film from last night.
Yeah that was one of his more complete games. Had a little of everything. His shot is so much better when he just shoots without hesitation. He starts missing when he pump fakes for no reason or hesitates so he can think about whether he should drive or not.

I don't recall people saying he's a bully ball driver but there's nothing wrong with that as long as you aren't getting called for charges. Giannis and Lebron have made careers out of running over and through people to get to the rim.

Yeah that was one of his more complete games. Had a little of everything. His shot is so much better when he just shoots without hesitation. He starts missing when he pump fakes for no reason or hesitates so he can think about whether he should drive or not.

I don't recall people saying he's a bully ball driver but there's nothing wrong with that as long as you aren't getting called for charges. Giannis and Lebron have made careers out of running over and through people to get to the rim.
The people, who comp him to Randall. Yea, he has the build and skill set to be a bully ball driver, but that's not why he's good. His movements are functional and he usually has more than one exit (shoot, pass, etc).

The 3/24/2022 version of Paolo Banchero is, quite precisely, why I WOULD NOT MIND seeing him in Kings colors next season (and beyond). If we luck out, and land in the top 3, I'd love to see Monte pull the trigger on him, regardless of draft position.

Peacocks remind me of the saying, "Everybody has a plan until the get punched in the face." What D by St. Peter's! But in the end Purdue might just be too tall for them. Right now tied.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yeah, Ivey isn’t in that Morant, Fox, Wall tier of uber athletic guards.

He’ll probably be good in the NBA but at most he’s a level or two below those guys

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I think the thing that bothers me about Ivey’s Game is that while he’s exceptionally explosive going downhill, his handle and change of pace sorta resembles Buddy Hield.

Yeah, Ivey isn’t in that Morant, Fox, Wall tier of uber athletic guards.

He’ll probably be good in the NBA but at most he’s a level or two below those guys
Yeah, basically since I started paying attention in December, Ivey's play has trended down. I get why everyone is so excited to anoint him next up with how successful Ja has been, but they just aren't the same class talent wise. He's explosive, but doesn't have that Wall/Fox/Morant handle. Can get very very sloppy.

May get me fired from my fake GM position, but I've been considering moving Davis up to 4 over Ivey. It just feels (and looks) like Davis is a significantly better basketball player on both ends and we're boosting Ivey because of the athleticism.

It'll be interesting to see if my eye test is validated, but I was never impressed with any Big Ten teams this year. The level of play looked really mediocre. We'll see if the Big 10's record in the tourney validates this (or not).
Purdue is the last big 10 team and they’re in trouble. Was never impressed with the league this year. A 180 from the year before.