NCAA March Madness (merged)

I don't have any brackets done out (I don't particularly know what you guys are even talking about :eek:) but I'm hoping Louisville win it. Terrence Williams is my guy, love watching him. Really talented and hard working. Should beat Kansas tonight!

I've been on Missouri's bandwagon ever since they won the Big 12 tournament championship. My bracket had them in Final Four which may be a bit of a reach against UConn. I'm still amazed that a team can have such an effective style playing virtual full court press for the entire game - yet, still lead the nation is assists!! It's amazing that they're so patient in the half court, passing it around, passing up good shots, waiting for the great shot. Very dangerous team for anybody in this tournament is the most obvious statement I can make. Hanging 102 points on Memphis!! And Calipari's team was said to be one of the toughest defensive teams this season. Now, it looks like two best teams overall in this tournament are meeting on Saturday - Uconn v. Mizzou. Well, maybe North Carolina and Louisville are right there - if they get to Final Four. Still, I picked Pitt to win it all, but what do I know...
The last time i saw them they were getting destroyed by Illinois. They are a much better team then when i saw them a few months ago. That Mizzou v. Uconn game should be really interesting. Mizzou is filled with athletic 6-4 to 6-7 guys, which is the type of player Uconn lacks. Without Dyson they could have a tough time matching up. The reason i picked Uconn to win it all, even against teams with great guard play, is how well they defend the 3 point line. No one is better at defending the 3 point line in the half court then Uconn, they gets up into you while Thabeet is a backstop against dribble penetration. Mizzou can beat Uconn but i don't think they can do it from outside. They need to get in transition and go to the basket aggressively to get Thabeet in foul trouble. They have the players to do it so that should be a interesting match up.

I can't blame anyone for picking Wake. At times this season they were as good as anyone in college basketball. In the ACC tournament they put up a terrible effort. They looked like a team that had given up on the season, which is a shame considering all the talent they have.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Probably because Kansas-Louisville is a potential match up in the next round. Kansas plays Michigan State tonight in the game after Louisville-UA.

Syracuse looks awful in the early going. Devendorf especially bad with the casual layup attempt, turnover, and awful shot selection. They have to play a great game to pull this out and can't afford to get off to a bad start.

Louisville and Arizona going as expected. Arizona made a nice run but they can't compete with Louisville.

Missed it, what happened?

Devendorf and Rautins are killing me right now. A combined 1-12, atleast Rautins is taking good shots while Devendorf has done nothing to help his team in the first half. In fact he looks like a deer in the headlights. Atleast Flynn has shown up and is keeping them in this along with the play inside.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Missed it, what happened?
For the Wildcats job... still in progress of course :)

Looks like I'll have five of eight if Oklahoma continues in the second half. If Gonzaga can upset UNC I'll be looking real good. I think only one person had Missou last night in my pool and the guy who was in first place and sent me a nasty facebook comment is now tied with me :p

Man now Flynn is hurt, this game looks over. Syracuse such a disappointment, Devendorf and Rautins just pathetic in the first half.

In first in my other bracket but i have a feeling today is going to kill me. If Kansas goes out my bracket is in a lot of trouble. If Gonzaga wins as well, Jesus that would be a complete disaster.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
The funny thing about Kansas this year is that my KU pals all picked against them. Why I know a dozen or so KU alumnae in Portland really is beyond me because I don't think I knew any before.

Well these games have been a boring. Devendorf is going out like a chump, really sad way to end a great career at Syracuse. Flynn and Onuaku were the only ones who showed up tonight. Griffin is just a beast, and i have seen enough of this. Maybe tonights game will be more entertaining then the rest of this sweet 16.

The officiating down the stretch was interesting... ah well my final 4 doesn't look so good. Blowing that 13 point lead, man i thought this was going to go Kansas way. If Uconn and NC meet in the finals i could have a chance but my bracket didn't fair so well today.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
RIP my bracket. Nova has become my favorite team to watch during the last two tournaments, good for them. I really wish I had the sense to pick them.

Mr. Dixon, I have Mr. Livengood on line 1.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Well except for 1 first round game I had that entire bracket called right until that one, but there went my national champs. Was rather looking forward to Thabeet/Blair Rnd 3 too -- thought Pitt looked like the stronger team in the head to heads. That last play was kind of a classic difference between a Blair and Thabeet though -- the little guard was not intimdated in the least by the 6'8" power guy for the winning layup. Make that a 7'3" tower and he maybe ends up eating that.

RIP my bracket. Nova has become my favorite team to watch during the last two tournaments, good for them. I really wish I had the sense to pick them.

Mr. Dixon, I have Mr. Livengood on line 1.
VU - the campus right down the street from where i grew up. All my sibs attended VU. I was the odd man in the group. But i never bet against them and like you LOVE watching them. Very well coached team. Excellent play they drew up to close it out - Cunningham on the handoff to Reynolds streaking down the field for the "TD" Doesn't get much better.

Gritty, gritty team. Outstanding effort/defense/heart

They will have their hands full w/ NC. But never count out the Cats!

A couple of fun games today. More importantly, in first at last! I picked Kansas to get to the final 4 so this could be short lived. Hopefully state will win and mess up more then a couple brackets. I need NC to show up for me as well.

Loving this Nova team, picked them to go out in the final 4, but they have won me over and I'll be rooting for them despite my brackets. Hope tomorrows games end up being half as good as todays.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Excellent play they drew up to close it out - Cunningham on the handoff to Reynolds streaking down the field for the "TD" Doesn't get much better.
Howeer the one from the timeout before that got them into trouble -- full court hail mary with a 2pt lead?? -- left a little something to be desired. ;)

Howeer the one from the timeout before that got them into trouble -- full court hail mary with a 2pt lead?? -- left a little something to be desired. ;)
Duly noted. My heart dropped to the floor on that play. Totally uncharacteristic of this well-coached team. But it's pressure packed and those VU players just got so much heart. How can you not pull for em. They remind me a bit of the Kings in their heydey, the bench mob, the excitement that surrounded each engagement...I think they will have their hands full w/ Tyler Hansbrough and the NC contingent but i never say never when it comes to Jay Wright and his Villanova WILDcats...What a game!

My bracket suffered after Wake went out early and then died with Pitts demise. So now, I feel free to prognosticate rest of the championship tourney. I boldly predicted Mizzou would get to the Final Four by toppling UConn who I didn't see going this far with Dyson injured. Nova is the biggest surprise after the Mizzou run. Today, I see Louisville marching on fairly handily over Michigan St. North Carolina I think is a bit too much for Oklahoma, but I had the Sooners getting to the Elite Eight in my bracket. In the end, I see North Carolina cutting down the nets in Detroit with The Ville my second choice, but I wouldn't put a bet on either one - since Nova is lurking rather dangerously.

MSU, baby! I picked them to win it all...tough games ahead, but I figured that Louisville would be the toughest one.
I think you were the only one. ;)

But I am happy for Coach Izzo and I am glad to finally see the Cardinals ousted - I was never convinced they were that good.

Meanwhile, UNC is dominating OU.