NBA to send 9 member team to "assist" Kings...

Revrag

Father, Husband, KingsFan
Staff member
Administrator
Contributor
On the conference call Stern just announced that he will be sending a team of NBA officials to Sacramento to "assist" the Kings in every aspect of running the team, including ticket sales, media relations, hiring, working on efforts to build a new arena, etc. Very interesting...

On the conference call Stern just announced that he will be sending a team of NBA officials to Sacramento to "assist" the Kings in every aspect of running the team, including ticket sales, media relations, hiring, working on efforts to build a new arena, etc. Very interesting...
Yes, that was very interesting. It almost sounded like code for...we're going to be keeping a close eye on things to make sure the Maloofs don't **** anything up.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
To say the least.

Wonder whether they are there to more closely observe the Maloofs, or us/the City?

Yeah, that was a weird vibe, huh. The Maloofs are clearly going to be babysat in all manners of operation and if it doesn't work this time it won't be because the Maloofs mucked things up.

Almost the feeling that they are on probation or in lame duck status.

Though Stern outwardly was always quick to give the Maloofs every face saving opportunity in his direct responses.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
So will this put an end to the "if the Maloofs sabatoge the arena effort" talk? I don't even see that being a possibility in the near future.

Yes. David Stern just put the training wheels back on the Maloofs bicycles. I hope they brought lots of duct tape to assist the Maloofs with their PR comments.

Yes. David Stern just put the training wheels back on the Maloofs bicycles. I hope they brought lots of duct tape to assist the Maloofs with their PR comments.
They are already now saying all the PR right things. Must be first of the 9 people the NBA sent to Maloofs, JB. ;)

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
To be fair, the committee will be sure to see that the city is doing its share in an up close and personal way. If things start to stall, they will know fairly quickly and allow the Anaheim talks (KC?) to regain steam.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
To be fair, the committee will be sure to see that the city is doing its share in an up close and personal way. If things start to stall, they will know fairly quickly and allow the Anaheim talks (KC?) to regain steam.
Oh, I have no doubt the NBA is puttung these peeps in place to keep watch on all concerned. If there ever is another BOG meeting on this situation, I am sure they want to have their own facts/observations.

I seriously would love to see KJ get an arena deal started ASAP.. Meaning none of this "wait until the last minute to get the shovel in the ground" thing. I would love for them to get going and get some shovels in the ground before the start of the next season so that in 2 years we can have the new downtown place going.

Hopefully with the new TV deal that is in the works we wont have to see Gary Johnstone's face as much.. No offense but I tire of him and his Zoom imaging. But on the other hand he has been there to support the team with advertising money so I have to thank him at the same time :)

When I heard this it made me feel much more comfortable about this coming year. At least we will truly have a fighting chance, and I'll do my part in attending as many games as possible.

I seriously would love to see KJ get an arena deal started ASAP.. Meaning none of this "wait until the last minute to get the shovel in the ground" thing. I would love for them to get going and get some shovels in the ground before the start of the next season so that in 2 years we can have the new downtown place going.

Hopefully with the new TV deal that is in the works we wont have to see Gary Johnstone's face as much.. No offense but I tire of him and his Zoom imaging. But on the other hand he has been there to support the team with advertising money so I have to thank him at the same time :)
I'd bet just about anything that KJ is already thinking about what needs to be done ASAP. He's shown me beyond any doubt that he's no procrastinator and he isn't the type to let a little red tape discourage him too much.

I kind of hope the NBA told the Maloofs, "Don't mind any of this running of the team stuff, we will take care of all that. Your job is to jump up on the scorer's table and pump your fists."

Also, this move by Sterns and the NBA may be to assure that the Maloofs don't start off on the wrong foot. They already have by trying to move the Kings out of Sacramento. I think the Maloofs need some PR help in their return. It's good to see the league helping out. It is curious but it shows who's got the muscle.

I kind of hope the NBA told the Maloofs, "Don't mind any of this running of the team stuff, we will take care of all that. Your job is to jump up on the scorer's table and pump your fists."
It would be nice if they attended more games than they did last year. I would love to see them pumping their fists more often this year!

I'd bet just about anything that KJ is already thinking about what needs to be done ASAP. He's shown me beyond any doubt that he's no procrastinator and he isn't the type to let a little red tape discourage him too much.
Agreed Rook. Dude is awesome.

KJ will be the Governor of California someday. Mark this post. (He's already got the Lakers' vote!) And if that happens and he is successful I could seriously see him making a run at the presidency in 15-20 years. The Burkle factor.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Given how hands on Stern will be, and how much he wants to see this arena deal go through, and the fact he's clearly on our side, if there is ever a time for us to get the #1 pick, and if there is any chance the lottery is or has ever been rigged, Stern will give us the #1.

Agreed Rook. Dude is awesome.

KJ will be the Governor of California someday. Mark this post. (He's already got the Lakers' vote!) And if that happens and he is successful I could seriously see him making a run at the presidency in 15-20 years. The Burkle factor.
I know two people who've said the same thing recently. Heck, he's got my vote if he runs and I'm not even a Democrat.

Given how hands on Stern will be, and how much he wants to see this arena deal go through, and the fact he's clearly on our side, if there is ever a time for us to get the #1 pick, and if there is any chance the lottery is or has ever been rigged, Stern will give us the #1.
Cleveland deserves the #1 as much as we do. We can flip a coin with them for it.

Ha Ha IS there a consensus #1? I have been giving so much attention to this soap opera that I haven't paid any attention to the draft.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Cleveland deserves the #1 as much as we do. We can flip a coin with them for it.
No they don't. Screw Cleveland. They had 7 years of Lebron and refused to surround him with talent. Also could have done what Den/Utah did and trade him for considerable talent if Gilbert wasn't an idiot. We deserve the #1. I'm not budging on my stance.

I think it's smart decision to send his team in here to "help" the Kings get back on their feet. The Maloofs behavior has shown that they didn't really have their hearts in staying. And given all that anti-trust lawsuits going around, he knows these guys need to be on the shortest leash possible. So Stern is just trying to protect the NBA's investment here. It doesn't mean that Stern is on Sacramento's side. He's on the side of the NBA and if the city doesn't produce an arena plan and make it sparkle, Sacramento will be dust in his review mirror. No loyalties, just business.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it's smart decision to send his team in here to "help" the Kings get back on their feet. The Maloofs behavior has shown that they didn't really have their hearts in staying. And given all that anti-trust lawsuits going around, he knows these guys need to be on the shortest leash possible. So Stern is just trying to protect the NBA's investment here. It doesn't mean that Stern is on Sacramento's side. He's on the side of the NBA and if the city doesn't produce an arena plan and make it sparkle, Sacramento will be dust in his review mirror. No loyalties, just business.
Bingo. Spot on.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I don't know about that. The only reason they had a Lebron to lose in the first place is because they tanked and got lucky. We tanked and got #4. And then nearly lost our team completely.

Hopefully one of that 9 member team is also the one drawing the lottery numbers this year. I bet a #1 pick'll help sell some tickets. :)

I don't know about that. The only reason they had a Lebron to lose in the first place is because they tanked and got lucky. We tanked and got #4. And then nearly lost our team completely.

Hopefully one of that 9 member team is also the one drawing the lottery numbers this year. I bet a #1 pick'll help sell some tickets. :)
OK, you guys convinced me. **** Cleveland. We deserve the #1!