NBA Draft - Who will be available?

Realistically who could be available for us in the NBA Draft? I think we're going to be around the same place we were last year early-mid 20's. I would really look toward Leon Powe if he decides to stay in the draft. The man was one of a handfull (or 2) to average 20 and 10 in college (ya I know that Pac-10 isn't very big). I think he would be one of the few good big men available at are position. Not sure who else, maybe Rashon Rando but I think he may be off the board by then. Anyone else with ideas?

Leon Powe? We can get better than him, plus he's another tweener at 6'7"/6'8", and is projected in the 2nd round.

Guys in my signature and PGs like Douby/Rondo/Lowry are who should be in our area (some more than others) and any of who I'd be good with drafting. Just would prefer we draft a big man. To pick two of each position, I'd pick Simmons-Armstrong and Lowry-Douby.

how about trading Gracia?

It's pretty obvious that we need a big defensive man and the draft might be the only way we can get a decent one this year. How about trading Gracia and our pick to move up in the draft? Francisco is a nice player, but assuming we sign Bonzi and Martin's still around, Gracia is expendible.

EatMoreChicken said:
It's pretty obvious that we need a big defensive man and the draft might be the only way we can get a decent one this year. How about trading Gracia and our pick to move up in the draft? Francisco is a nice player, but assuming we sign Bonzi and Martin's still around, Gracia is expendible.
It would suck to have to trade Cisco for a draft pick. I only seeing trading him along with K9, Miller, Corliss, Hart, Vitaly as a package deal, not just to get another rookie higher in rank then we are getting. Isn't this draft pretty weak already? Unless we can get a top 4 draft pick, is it worth trading a player on our team for them? Cisco did good subing in for Artest as well and can play a few positions such as SF, SG, PG. He has good promise and is our only shoot blocker at the moment...boy are we low in the dept. :D Oh well, I hope that changes this offseason.

EatMoreChicken said:

I agree. Maybe we can package him with someone and our pick to move up and get Aldridge?

I think Jordan Farmar of UCLA may go in the 20's and will be a very good NBA point guard (offensively and defensively) - though he probably could use one more year of college and maturation.

I'm hoping the Kings get their "Big" help from someone in the league. Ideally, a KG or a Jermaine O'neal. Crazy, I guess - but it sure would be nice.

We need to draft a PF/C who can block shots and rebound because this years' draft is loaded with them and the free agent class will be lacking in decent bigs. O'Bryant, Shelden, and Thomas will be picked too high for us. The most realistic choices would be Cedric Simmons, Hilton Armstrong, or Saer Sene. I don't know about Josh Boone, though, he seems to have been a dissapointment this year and so has Splitter.

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/cedricsimmons.asp

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/hiltonarmstrong.asp

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/mouhamedsene.asp

Kings113 said:
Leon Powe? We can get better than him, plus he's another tweener at 6'7"/6'8", and is projected in the 2nd round.
I think Cal's other, less hyped big men are going to be better in the league than Powe. Guys like Devon Hardin are bigger and more athletic, and while they may lack Powe's offensive prowess, I don't think Powe's game will translate as well. It's harder to dominate when you're going against 7-foot big men, as opposed to 6'6" centers.

Kings113 said:

Guys in my signature and PGs like Douby/Rondo/Lowry are who should be in our area (some more than others) and any of who I'd be good with drafting. Just would prefer we draft a big man. To pick two of each position, I'd pick Simmons-Armstrong and Lowry-Douby.
I would love to get Lowry. It would be awesome to have him come in and be able to play back up to Bibby right away. Plus, back up PG seems to be one of the areas we have to improve on for next year. Don't get me wrong, Hart was a nice pick up for a 2nd round pick, but he has a player option for 06-07, and he may opt out. Personally, I'd rather see us use our MLE on a bigger player like a PF or C rather than on resigning Hart. I think it was a big mistake to let Eddie House get away from us, but hey, hind sight is always 20/20. We thought we were going to get a lock-down defender in Hart, and it just didn't turn out that way.

You know whos in great position to improve their team through the next 2 drafts? The frickin Chicago Bulls! Moving Curry for the Knicks' first round pick this year and the right to swap first round picks next year looks more amazing everyday! Looking at the Knicks roster & payroll right now, its hard to see them improving much by the end of next season. Conceivably, the Bulls could have a top 5 pick this year and next year too. Unbelievable. Oh ya, and don't forget that they will have $15+ million to sign free agents this summer.

One thought on trading for a higher pick, It seems like the best team to barter a trade with would be the Bulls. I mean, they already have some great young players who have already developed nicely. Hinrich is a great facilitator and is only getting better. Gordon is nails in the clutch. Deng has a ton of upside and is getting better. Duhon is another nice 1/2 for the bulls. Nocioni is another nice tweener who can score. However, it seems like their glaring weakness is at the 4/5. I don't know that it is even possible, but I would consider trading Miller for Chandler- if we could swap picks(their pick from NYK). Trading Miller for Chandler would be better for us defensively, giving us a shot blocker and rebounder. He averaged 5.3 ppg, 9 rpg, 1.3 bpg in only 26.8 minutes. The down side to a trade like that is that he has a lousy FT% (about 50% this year) and a big contract. Would it be worth the downside to move up in this draft? I guess it depends on the value you put on the supposed top 5 picks (according to nbadraft.net) of Lamarcus Aldridge, Tyrus Thomas, Adam Morrison, or Andrea Bargnani, and Rudy Gay.

I'm not sure if we draft a PG with Ronnie Price already here, but I wouldn't mind us drafting a PG in Lowry much. Just would prefer a big man.

Big men in our draft position are a total crap shoot and rarely become impact players. We'd probably have better luck going for a backup point guard if we are going to give up on Price or don't make a move that nets us one.

I don't think this is the year to trade up in the draft unless the picks are cheap. It would almost be better to trade this pick to a weak team in the hopes of getting a better pick in a stronger draft next year. This is a bad draft year because the change in the draft rules that everyone knew were coming.

Not sure if Petrie gives up on Price with the way he feels about him. I still like the big men in our draft position.

If we get Lowry/Rondo/Douby, that's fantastic. But we best be overhauling the front-court with 1-2 subtractions and additions. Keeping a Brad/KT starting front-court would be one hell of a disappointment. Brad, or them both have to go and be replaced with defensive bigs.

honestly, if Petrie uses the draft pick for a PG or yet another SF/SG, I'll be pissed as hell. We can easily pick-up these positions using the vet minimum or lower level exception. Every year we pass on big men that can potentially that can bring balance to the team, just to get another talented versitile player that warms the bench. Can you imagine this team if we drafted Magloire instead of Hedo, or Dalembert instead of Wallace, Boozer or Gaderzic instead of trading our pick to Atl???

Let's be serious ppl, a back-up PG won't win us a championship. All these other positions won't mean squat until we address the C/PF postion. We NEED a big man ppl!! I don't care how Petrie does it. He can gut the team (except for Artest, Martin, and Wells) for all I care. Petrie's great at finding hidden talent, but right now we don't need talent. We need a freakin' brut that can board, play D, and swat the damn ball!!

Villanova's Kyle Lowry would be pretty sweet and a great pick up. Although I do tend to agree with eveyone that thinks we should be going after a defensive big instead of any other position. I know i'm probably biased, but I would LOVE for us to move up the draft to grab Duke's Shelden Williams. At 6`9 and 250 he's a pretty freaking physical player who is a shotblocking master and OWNS the paint(Hence his nickname"The Landlord"). He can grab boards and score down low. At his height he would probably be only a PF in the pros, but this year he contributed to Duke everything that our current Kings team lacks.

Without considering how much some of you hate Duke, what do you guys think?

Last edited:
If we got Shelden Williams, I'd have a heart attack. The man is a stud and would fill a HUGE gap in our line-up. Sure ppl say he's a stiff w/ limited mobility but the guy knows how to rebound and shot block. He may never be a 20/10 player but we don't need major points from him. btw, has anyone noticed how freakin' big his head is???

Signing a back-up PG w/ defensive skills shouldn't cost us a draft pick. Most ppl recognize Billups as the best defensive PG. But if you look at the league, teams seriously undervalue this position, so we can pick one up as a FA if we do our research. Remember Billups was a nobody until the Brandon went down and he started in his place. Then the Pistons signed him for $35M over 6 years.

That's the thing, he probably wont fall to us. Most mock drafts have him in that 10-14 range but some of them as low as 8th. But if we move up by about 10 spots in the draft he'll most likely be there. The guy is an absolute beast in the paint and has the wingspan of a Boeing 747. I saw him play at Cameron Indoor a few times and think of a young Ben Wallace but with actual low-post scoring ability(Only player in Duke history to average a double-double under coach K).

Garcia(or someone else) + our pick to move down to get him, anyone? is that even enough?

I love Cisco but with Bonzi, Ron and Martin the PT for him is just not there. He seems to have some trade value so we should use that to our advantage.

Last edited:
W

West_Gunslinger16

How 'bout trading Cisco or K-9 for Nets' pick/s. They really don't need their picks right now. If the Nets got K-9 they would be the Suns of the East. So, it would be a REALLY GOOD pick up for both teams.

West_Gunslinger16 said:
How 'bout trading Cisco or K-9 for Nets' pick/s. They really don't need their picks right now. If the Nets got K-9 they would be the Suns of the East. So, it would be a REALLY GOOD pick up for both teams.
Why would they be the Suns of the East? What does K9 bring to the Nets that he doesn't bring to the Kings? Anyways, I'm for unloading K9 and his big contract if we can get some good big young talent PF/C

I said in another thread that I thought K9 would be a good fit for the Nets. I said the same last year, when I advocated swapping K9 and our pick for Cliff's expiring deal and the Nets pick.

Sacramento Trade Breakdown

Outgoing

Kenny Thomas

6-7 PF from New Mexico

9.1 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 2.0 apg in 28.0 minutes

Incoming

Clifford Robinson

6-10 PF from Connecticut

6.9 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.1 apg in 23.3 minutes

Jeff McInnis

6-4 PG from North Carolina

5.3 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 1.9 apg in 17.4 minutes

Change in team outlook: +3.1 ppg, -2.4 rpg, and +1.0 apg.

New Jersey Trade Breakdown

Outgoing

Clifford Robinson

6-10 PF from Connecticut

6.9 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.1 apg in 23.3 minutes

Jeff McInnis

6-4 PG from North Carolina

5.3 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 1.9 apg in 17.4 minutes

Incoming

Kenny Thomas

6-7 PF from New Mexico

9.1 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 2.0 apg in 28.0 minutes

Change in team outlook: -3.1 ppg, +2.4 rpg, and -1.0 apg.

Successful ScenarioD
ue to Sacramento and New Jersey being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Sacramento and New Jersey had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Trade ID
Every trade made by fans is allocated a unique Trade ID which you can share with friends and fellow basketball fans to allow them to see your trade scenario. The Trade ID for this scenario is 3079886.

NJ tosses in the clippers pick. They get a PF we get to dump Kenny for expiring contracts and a pick.

W

West_Gunslinger16

Troy said:
Why would they be the Suns of the East? What does K9 bring to the Nets that he doesn't bring to the Kings?
Suns of the East because they've got pure shooters and more of them from their bench. Kenny would fit their fast-paced offense that doesn't fit into ours.

Anyways, I'm for unloading K9 and his big contract if we can get some good big young talent PF/C
That's why we're trading K-9 for their picks!