[NBA] Comments that don't warrant their own thread (JAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Funny, probably a third of the participants of my keeper league come from that board.

FWIW, I've been a wrestling fan a lot longer than I've been a Kings Fan. I was a wrestling fan since before I even knew what basketball was; my grandma took me to my first house show, at the Macon County Civic Center, when I was six.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Final score, Bucks beat the Knicks 95-79. Knicks outscored the Bucks 23-13 in the fourth quarter, and still lost by sixteen.

Probably the most interesting thing about the game was listening to the Bucks' radio broadcaster, Ted Davis, read tweets during the game. Apparently fans tweet him during the game, and he reads some of them on the air; can you imagine Gary Gerould doing that?

Final score, Bucks beat the Knicks 95-79. Knicks outscored the Bucks 23-13 in the fourth quarter, and still lost by sixteen.

Probably the most interesting thing about the game was listening to the Bucks' radio broadcaster, Ted Davis, read tweets during the game. Apparently fans tweet him during the game, and he reads some of them on the air; can you imagine Gary Gerould doing that?
I could imagine Jerry Reynolds doing that. If someone printed them out for him. In large font.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Watching lakers/Pels while waiting for the Kings game to start, and I just saw on the scroll that Shawn Marion has announced his intent to retire at the end of the season.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Hawks aren't even fun to watch...all they do is blow teams out, no body can play them close so far. Warriors own the Rockets....have them in their left pocket.

Hall or no?

I lean toward no. He was arguably never even the best player on his own team.

Nice career though.
An easy no for me. Good player, very versatile, but was never really considered one of the top players in the league or had any kind of international impact.

I agree on Marion that no is the answer.

However, basketball-reference does rate him as having a 0.756 probability of making it. That's higher than a guy like Pau Gasol, who is closer to the hall to me than Marion, but is also no sure thing.

So there is some argument is his favor. Was curious if anyone would be willing to make it.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I agree on Marion that no is the answer.

However, basketball-reference does rate him as having a 0.756 probability of making it. That's higher than a guy like Pau Gasol, who is closer to the hall to me than Marion, but is also no sure thing.

So there is some argument is his favor. Was curious if anyone would be willing to make it.
Well, let's be fair to Shawn Marion, and apply a modified version of the Keltner List to his career:
  1. Was he ever regarded as the best player in basketball? Did anyone, while he was active, ever suggest that he was the best player in basketball?
    • There's probably a good reason why this is the first question: if you can answer this with a yes, you almost don't have to bother with the rest of it. For Marion, the answer is a resounding no.
  2. Was he ever the best player on his team?
    • A strong argument could be made that he was the best player on the Suns in 2002-03, when he earned his first All-Star selection.
  3. Was he ever considered the best player at his position?
    • No.
  4. Was he a good enough player that he could continue to play regularly, after passing his prime?
    • Marion continued to get starter's minutes regularly, after passing his prime.
  5. Is he the best player in NBA history, who is not in the Hall of Fame?
    • Shawn Marion is not even in the Top 20 of best players not in the Hall.
  6. Are most players who have comparable career statistics in the Hall of Fame?
    • Marion doesn't have either of the 'magic' numbers (20500 points, 12500 rebounds). Among the players within one thousand points of his 17642, in either direction, thirteen of the twenty-three eligible players (57%) are in the Hall of Fame. Among the players within one thousand rebounds of his 10051, in either direction, six of the fifteen eligible players (40%) are in the Hall of Fame.
  7. Is there any evidence to suggest that the player is significantly better or worse than his statistics suggest?
    • No.
  8. How many MVP-type seasons did he have? Did he ever win an MVP award? If not, how many times was he close?
    • None, no, and he was never close.
  9. How many All-Star type seasons did he have? How many All-Star games did he play in? Are most of the players who played this number in the Hall of Fame?
    • Marion had, roughly, seven All-Star caliber seasons. He was selected to play in the All-Star Game four times. Twelve of the thirty-three four-time All-Stars who are eligible (36%) are in the Hall of Fame.
  10. If this player were the best player on his team, is it likely that they could win the championship?
    • Not only no, but hell no.
  11. What impact did the player have on basketball history? Is he responsible for any rule changes? Did he introduce any new equipment? Did he change the game in any way?
    • No, no, no. Just no.
Based on those answers, I would say that Shawn Marion is not a Hall of Famer.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Kobe makes his 100th all-star appearance while chucking his way into a shooting percentage of somewhere around mid 30's...love fan voting.

I'm sure he isn't the only understudy of coaches that went on to head coach and not succeed. They just happen to have some players that have been playing together for years and it also helps to play in the playoffs, even if it it's in the lowly East, that's still experience none the less.
eh. of the entire roster of the Hawks, only two guys, Horford and Teague, have really spent significant time with the franchise. another three, Korver, John Jenkins, and Mike Scott, have been there for three. nobody else has been there before last year. it's easier to build this kind of chemistry with the sort of heady veterans the Hawks put together -btw, DeMarre Carroll (terrible hair notwithstanding) has been a STEAL. never expected him to be this good on another team- but Budenholzer deserves tons of credit for this. it certainly goes beyond: "well, they've been playing together for ages."

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
eh. of the entire roster of the Hawks, only two guys, Horford and Teague, have really spent significant time with the franchise. another three, Korver, John Jenkins, and Mike Scott, have been there for three. nobody else has been there before last year. it's easier to build this kind of chemistry with the sort of heady veterans the Hawks put together -btw, DeMarre Carroll (terrible hair notwithstanding) has been a STEAL. never expected him to be this good on another team- but Budenholzer deserves tons of credit for this. it certainly goes beyond: "well, they've been playing together for ages."
you want to talk about a steal...how about Millsap? I don't think anybody saw him being this productive for them, at least I didn't. It helps to have shooters all over the roster also.

Agreed. Their playing style has completely changed on both ends since Budenholzer took over. Schröder has developed real well too. Last season they weren't as good but you could already see them starting to move the ball around a lot better.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
It's hard to believe that Jeezy had 22/11 off the bench, and the Hornets still got destroyed by Cleveland; there must have been a lot of garbage time involved there.

Status
Not open for further replies.