[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (MAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sickened by this Nurkic injury. I just hate to see serious injuries like this. Especially an up and coming young big like him. I like his game. I hope he's able to come back strong.

Blazers gotta be happy they picked up Kanter. That is a really clutch signing after this injury. Nurk was a major cog.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm sickened by this Nurkic injury. I just hate to see serious injuries like this. Especially an up and coming young big like him. I like his game. I hope he's able to come back strong.

Blazers gotta be happy they picked up Kanter. That is a really clutch signing after this injury. Nurk was a major cog.
I've seen some horrific sports injuries over the years. That one ranked right up there with the worst. I wish I'd turned away when they warned it was graphic.

I've seen some horrific sports injuries over the years. That one ranked right up there with the worst. I wish I'd turned away when they warned it was graphic.
Every single graphic injury over the years I've managed to avoid. Hayward last year, LaVert and Nurkic this year. I just cannot watch that type of stuff, makes me shiver.

I did unfortunately see the Paul George injury however.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Every single graphic injury over the years I've managed to avoid. Hayward last year, LaVert and Nurkic this year. I just cannot watch that type of stuff, makes me shiver.

I did unfortunately see the Paul George injury however.
Shaun Livingston's injury will give you nightmares, as will Joe Thiesman's... do not ever google horrible sports injuries.

Shaun Livingston's injury will give you nightmares, as will Joe Thiesman's... do not ever google horrible sports injuries.
The worst ever is probably MMA fighter Wanderlei Silva's leg brake. It's the worst injury I've ever seen by a wide margin. He goes to kick someone and his leg shatters completely in half. If you've never seen it I would recommend never, ever looking it up.

Even a slightly sprained ankle makes me cringe. Can’t imagine seeing a guy’s leg completely backwards. :(
I have weak ankles, or at least I must because I've sprained both ankles endless times as a kid playing various sports (worst was coming down on someone's shoe during basketball) and it's one of the most awkward, disgusting and painful feelings.

I love watching basketball but I do sometimes cringe when I see someone come down with a rebound in traffic, or when someone takes a shot and the defender is a little too close. I'm always expecting a sprain. When/if a player goes down, I never watch the "let's see what happened... oh yea he turned his ankle" replay.

The worst ever is probably MMA fighter Wanderlei Silva's leg brake. It's the worst injury I've ever seen by a wide margin. He goes to kick someone and his leg shatters completely in half. If you've never seen it I would recommend never, ever looking it up.
Anderson Silva, and yes it was horrific. His opponent Chris Weidman made a defensive move called "checking the kick" which is to lift your leg so that the kicker's shin hits your kneecap instead of digging into your leg muscle. It's supposed to be painful to the kicker as a deterrent against continuing low kicks, but THAT isn't supposed to happen.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
if Detroit somehow manages to make the Playoffs, it's going to be one brutal series for them. get the Magic or Hornets in there in place of them.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The sound of his leg snapping was the worst part, honestly. I've seen legs bend in strange ways but that snap... ewwww....

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Mike Conley just became the all-time leading scorer in Grizzlies franchise history.

EDIT - The Grizzlies are one of eight teams (Nets, Hornets, Clippers, Bucks, Pelicans, Magic, Raptors) whose franchise scoring record is less than 15,000 points, and one of thirteen teams (Pistons, Warriors, Timberwolves, Suns, Trail Blazers) whose franchise scoring record is less than 20,000 points.

I have to admit, I was very surprised to learn that there are two franchises with multiple championships that don't have a single player whose scored 20,000 points in their uniform. Not surprisingly, the lakers and Celtics are the only two teams with more than two 20K+ scorers. Somewhat more surprisingly, there's only two other franchises (Hawks, Spurs) with more than one.

Last edited:
Maybe they use bigger hoops in China?

That was awful, then the ref tripped over his foot on top of that.

MOD NOTE: Gif has been removed. If you want to see the injury or, in this case, the official tripping on his foot while he's still on the ground look it up elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Valanciunas has been absolutely incredible since joining Memphis. He's a one man wrecking crew and a double-double machine. Gasol might be better for the Raptors during this playoff run, but it's starting to look like they lost a star big man in the making.

And the talk of getting him in the PF/C thread...he's making his case for big $.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Valanciunas has been absolutely incredible since joining Memphis. He's a one man wrecking crew and a double-double machine. Gasol might be better for the Raptors during this playoff run, but it's starting to look like they lost a star big man in the making.

And the talk of getting him in the PF/C thread...he's making his case for big $.
We'll see. Valanciunas has played in the league for seven years, without approaching these offensive numbers, despite his efficiency looking much the same as it has for the past few seasons. He's playing out of his mind right now, but he's also been at a career high usage rate, since getting traded to Memphis. He's benefiting quite a bit from a role that will presumably be returned to Jackson, when he's healthy.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Devin Booker putting up huge scoring nights as his team struggles to remain competitive against even the most mediocre of teams is starting to become an annual tradition.

Currently has 39 points in the 3rd quarter.

Suns is terrible, but how much can you put it on Booker? His defense is bad, but the FO is probably the worst in the league. Letting go of Payton and Len, draft and trade for SF year after year, I have no idea what this team is trying to build.

Last edited:
Suns is terrible, but how much can you put it on Booker? His defense is bad, but the FO is probably the worst in the league. Letting go of Payton and Len, draft and trade for SF year after year, I have no idea what this team is trying to build.
FO office and ownership has been bad, no doubt, but in watching the NBA closely since 1984ish, I've seen high volume scorers come and go. There's always several players that pile up nice scoring stats while not winning much. In some cases, they move on to another team and flourish. But sometimes they don't because they can't downshift to fitting in and not being the top dog. Or because they just don't play a winning style of basketball.

We've seen it in SAC with Mitch Richmond, Kevin Martin, Tyreke Evans and DeMarcus Cousins. Mitch, however, was part of a winner during RUN TMC before he ever landed in SAC but his numbers were a little less due to spreading the wealth. K-Mart and Tyreke never really won anywhere else they played. DMC was hurt in NO and is fitting in ok with GSW but they've still struggled at times.

My personal opinion is that Booker is more of a Carmelo type player. He's a top notch scorer, but largely doesn't play winning basketball. Like Carmelo, Booker takes a lot of breaks on the defensive end. Zach Lavine is a lot like that too IMO. I've gone back and forth on Lavine because of it. These guys may win enough to get to the playoffs eventually, but I don't think they'll ever be a legit threat to win a title until they share the ball a bit more and commit themselves on the defensive end. Or they'll have to be a 2nd or 3rd option some place else.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
We've seen it in SAC with Mitch Richmond, Kevin Martin, Tyreke Evans and DeMarcus Cousins. Mitch, however, was part of a winner during RUN TMC before he ever landed in SAC but his numbers were a little less due to spreading the wealth. K-Mart and Tyreke never really won anywhere else they played. DMC was hurt in NO and is fitting in ok with GSW but they've still struggled at times.
Eh, that's a little disingenuous. Run TMC was never a "winner," at least not in any sense that "winner" applies to them, but not to any of the post-Sacramento teams that Martin or Evans played on. Martin, in particular, played exactly one fewer playoff game in his career than Richmond. And the one season that Run TMC played together as a unit, they finished with one more win than the Pelicans team that made the playoffs, where Evans was the second-best player, so I'm not sure how you're defining "winner" here.

Well, Fredette went 1-10 against Utah and, down the stretch, arguably single-handedly froze Booker out of a chance to get sixty. And then he was DNP-CD in Phoenix's next game. Coincidence? You tell me.
Probably not a coincidence. Booker may very well have had nothing to do with the decision either, that's something the coach sees and then implements on his own to keep his star player happy. Wasn't too bright on Jimmer's part to just come in the game and start launching.

Don't feel sorry for Booker though. He gets his points but doesn't do much of anything else to help you win. Has not shown any leadership. Phoenix has way too much raw talent to suck so bad.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Probably not a coincidence. Booker may very well have had nothing to do with the decision either, that's something the coach sees and then implements on his own to keep his star player happy. Wasn't too bright on Jimmer's part to just come in the game and start launching.

Don't feel sorry for Booker though. He gets his points but doesn't do much of anything else to help you win. Has not shown any leadership. Phoenix has way too much raw talent to suck so bad.
trade Booker for Ja Morant & other players to make numbers work. Re-sign Kelly Oubre. Build around Morant, Ayton, Jackson, Oubre. Suns will start winning games then.

Status
Not open for further replies.