[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (MAR-TBD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...mic-began-prepare-rodney-hood-life-basketball

Does it concern anyone else that a quarter of all the Achilles tears in the history of the league have happened to players that are in the league right now? I feel like a lot of teams' medical staffs need to be placed under review.
To be fair up until probably the last thirty seasons or so the majority of the league was made up of tall, unathletic white dudes who were already so athletically challenged that a blown out tendon would somehow fail to garner their attention. I’d also wager that a lot of Achilles injuries went undiagnosed, misreported, or simply got listed as (OUT- Leg) up until the Nique blew his out in the prime of his career.

Injuries have seemingly increased along all four major sports (sorry hockey)and one has to wonder if that's simply down to more awareness on the part of players, fans, and staff or if it’s due to some underlying factor like the bad medical staffs you alluded to or the wear and tear of the ridiculous prep schedules a lot of these athletes have to deal with with the rise of AAU and specialized “semi-pro” children leagues.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
To be fair up until probably the last thirty seasons or so the majority of the league was made up of tall, unathletic white dudes who were already so athletically challenged that a blown out tendon would somehow fail to garner their attention. I’d also wager that a lot of Achilles injuries went undiagnosed, misreported, or simply got listed as (OUT- Leg) up until the Nique blew his out in the prime of his career.
I really don't think you miss an Achilles tear, certainly not a full tear, no matter how athletically challenged you are. I don't know what sports news was like back in the day, and it's possible that Achilles tears were not widely reported out of, say, a lack of interest from the sports press ("Why is Smith not playing?" "He had to retire, hurt his leg." "Oh, OK.") but it wasn't because unathletic dudes tore their Achilles and didn't know. Coming on 15-20 years ago my dad, an unathletic dude, tore his Achilles and knew INSTANTLY.

Injuries have seemingly increased along all four major sports (sorry hockey)and one has to wonder if that's simply down to more awareness on the part of players, fans, and staff or if it’s due to some underlying factor like the bad medical staffs you alluded to or the wear and tear of the ridiculous prep schedules a lot of these athletes have to deal with with the rise of AAU and specialized “semi-pro” children leagues.
I would have no idea how to go about quantifying the quality of training staffs, but I have a hard time believing that they're worse now than they used to be - I think the default assumption is that they would be better. AAU could potentially contribute, perhaps kids just beating up their bodies again and again while they are growing leads to a more frail body in general. But I'd probably put the first portion of the blame on the athleticism of the game today. Players get themselves stronger than ever before, and they play harder than ever before, and I think we're seeing this catch up with us in the form of a rise in injuries.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I really don't think you miss an Achilles tear, certainly not a full tear, no matter how athletically challenged you are. I don't know what sports news was like back in the day, and it's possible that Achilles tears were not widely reported out of, say, a lack of interest from the sports press ("Why is Smith not playing?" "He had to retire, hurt his leg." "Oh, OK.") but it wasn't because unathletic dudes tore their Achilles and didn't know. Coming on 15-20 years ago my dad, an unathletic dude, tore his Achilles and knew INSTANTLY.

I would have no idea how to go about quantifying the quality of training staffs, but I have a hard time believing that they're worse now than they used to be - I think the default assumption is that they would be better. AAU could potentially contribute, perhaps kids just beating up their bodies again and again while they are growing leads to a more frail body in general. But I'd probably put the first portion of the blame on the athleticism of the game today. Players get themselves stronger than ever before, and they play harder than ever before, and I think we're seeing this catch up with us in the form of a rise in injuries.
Yeah that first part was a joke that went awry (hence me editing it like three different times) but I do honestly believe our athletes are starting to reach the point of overtraining the body to the point that they’re reaching points of athletic achievement that are absolutely not healthy for their bodies to do. With almost every top pitcher in baseball having had Tommy Johns Surgery at some point within their careers and the seeming rise of non-contact tendon tears in the NBA and NFL, one really has to wonder.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...mic-began-prepare-rodney-hood-life-basketball

Does it concern anyone else that a quarter of all the Achilles tears in the history of the league have happened to players that are in the league right now? I feel like a lot of teams' medical staffs need to be placed under review.
maybe in these times these players are training and playing way more than before which can be a point of over training and that's when the body is the most vulnerable to injuries

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...xploring-wolves-sale-kevin-garnett-interested

Taylor told The Athletic that he will not sell the team to a group that wants to move it out of Minneapolis.

It wasn't immediately clear how many groups have expressed interest in buying the Wolves, although former Minnesota star Kevin Garnett wrote on social media that he is part of one of them.

"I'm part of one of the groups trying," Garnett wrote on Instagram, with fingers crossed and folded hands prayer emojis. "Lawd please let my group get this."

Status
Not open for further replies.