[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (MAR-TBD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
a game postponed due to "unforeseen circumstances" aka the start of many other teams canceling their games due to said virus.....-__-

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
For my money, at least, I would hate if the NBA moved its season. Since I'm not a big NFL fan, I don't mind that the seasons somewhat overlap, and I do take full advantage of the fact that the NBA and MLB seasons are generally non-overlapping - I get to watch one of my two sports almost year-round.

But even setting that aside, is football really that much more competition than baseball? The NFL plays 16 games a week, generally 14 of them on Sundays. MLB plays about 90 games a week, somewhere between 5-6x the number of football games and while Mondays and Thursdays tend to be a little lighter for travel days, weekends definitely have 15 games per day and Tuesday/Wednesday usually have 14-15.

Consider a three-sport city with only one team in each sport. Under the current schedule, the NBA starts in mid-October, when the NFL has about 10 weeks left. Teams play less than every other day in the NBA, so you don't expect to play on Sunday more than 5 times (let's say they all conflict with the local NFL team), plus let's say for bad luck you also get a conflict on one Monday/Thursday night. So 6 conflicts with regular season NFL games. Now, we've got the playoffs. We can pretend it doesn't matter who plays in the playoff games, those have an audience even for non-market games. That's three weekends (six days, assume three conflicts) of games plus the Superbowl, which the NBA won't schedule against currently. So, grand total of 9 conflicts with the NFL. Now, MLB starts in late March/early April, let's say that's four weeks of conflict. About 3 games a week translates to another 12 conflicts, because basically every game conflicts, for a total of 21 conflicted games out of 82. Note that those final 12 conflicts are soft conflicts because stretch-time basketball probably beats first-month baseball. Playoffs don't conflict, because NBA playoffs beat first-third baseball.

Now, under a new schedule, going from December to August. Well, you still have 3-4 weeks of conflict with the NFL regular season, but let's be generous and say just one conflicted game. NFL playoffs are the same, so three more conflicts, a total of 4 hard conflicts with the NFL. But now, the NBA runs much more of its season against baseball - 1.5 to 2 additional months, depending on how the schedules are lined up. Let's call it seven additional weeks of the regular season. That's now 11 weeks of conflict and 33 conflicted games. Together with the NFL that's something like 37 conflicted games out of 82 before the playoffs (where the NBA wins, but maybe not quite as thoroughly as MLB is getting towards its stretch run). The NBA has basically doubled the number of schedule conflicts - some of them are softer conflicts (as the NFL is more popular than MLB), but at the same time, since NFL games are almost exclusively day games, the NBA can schedule nights on Sunday and miss the majority of direct conflicts. MLB games, particularly during the week, are night games and you can't try to stagger to avoid that conflict.

Moving the schedule so the NBA plays more over the summer doesn't make much sense to me in terms of direct competition with NFL/MLB.

Watching NO vs LaL replay and my god , Zion gets as many calls as Harden. What gets me angry about it is most of the calls are off Offensive fouls atleast Harden flops his way there Zion is bull dozing guys and getting calls, absurd. it gonna be disgusting going foward the calls he’ll be getting

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Every single time I hear Rui Hachimura speak English I'm always caught off guard by how good and natural sounding it is compared to some of the other attempts by Japanese people to speak English in public forums.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
this is a bannable offense have respect the GOAT
"Bannable" offense?? I don't think so. I'm almost to the same point my august colleague is with regards to the documentary being hyped 24/7. It's getting about as much build-up as "The Decision" did...and I, as a lifelong NBA fan, am no more impressed with this upcoming special than I was with that one.

For my money, at least, I would hate if the NBA moved its season. Since I'm not a big NFL fan, I don't mind that the seasons somewhat overlap, and I do take full advantage of the fact that the NBA and MLB seasons are generally non-overlapping - I get to watch one of my two sports almost year-round.
Moving the schedule so the NBA plays more over the summer doesn't make much sense to me in terms of direct competition with NFL/MLB.
It would also be bad bad bad for NBA/MLS only cities, which there are a few and notably Sacramento is soon to join those ranks. I questioned a permanent move in another thread but just saw this post when I clicked and it jumped to your post instead of most recent for some reason.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
It would also be bad bad bad for NBA/MLS only cities, which there are a few and notably Sacramento is soon to join those ranks. I questioned a permanent move in another thread but just saw this post when I clicked and it jumped to your post instead of most recent for some reason.
Secret...Mod...power???

The world may never know!

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
"Bannable" offense?? I don't think so. I'm almost to the same point my august colleague is with regards to the documentary being hyped 24/7. It's getting about as much build-up as "The Decision" did...and I, as a lifelong NBA fan, am no more impressed with this upcoming special than I was with that one.
Honestly, even that is a little deeper than I was thinking; I'm just don't have it for Michael Jordan, like that.

Unlike “the decision” ESPN literally has nothing to promote or show with no sports happening so I don’t blame them. It looks really good though especially if it’s anything like a 30 for 30. It would be cool if they stuck to replaying old finals games from the 90s and 2000s.

Honestly, even that is a little deeper than I was thinking; I'm just don't have it for Michael Jordan, like that.
what, why

^That is a fair point. Also why I've probably watched about 10 hours tops of live TV since we've been in isolation. No sports, no point. My gf sometimes throws on the news. I watch the AEW show on DVR at some point but it turns out without sports I could live without my YTTV sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.