[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (FEB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I don't think I've ever seen a dunk contest where there wasn't a single dunk to score a fifty, in the entire competition.

... And I'd still rather watch it than the three-point contest!

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I only caught a small part of it when my son turned in on the TV in the room I was in.

While the dunks can still sometimes be individually great, I liked the pre-2005 formats a LOT better - I found it got extremely boring when they could start missing dunks and not be penalized (yes, I realize that at times previously they only got scored on 2 of 3 dunk attempts, or whatever, but the "infinite mulligans" [as SI put it] basically makes the event unwatchable for me).

I don't even tune into the all-star weekend events unless one of the Kings is participating any more.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
no need, it’s in the first 2 minutes

Morey said he offered 2 firsts and Simmons for an unnamed player in the western conference and the team said no. He said people would be surprised that team said no. I’m thinking SGA?
It sounded like it was 2 firsts without Simmons, not with, unless I missed something in there.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
he didn’t say it but it was implied within the context of the Harden/Simmons trade. At least that’s my interpretation
Finally having some time to sit down and give a listen, I don't get the impression it was part of a Simmons deal. I'm with Warhawk on this one.

We need to remember that the FRPs that Morey was offering would have been protected and likely 25+ picks, so not exactly world-beating assets. I wonder if once again Morey didn't have some wild expectations about what he should be able to get in a "fair" trade. I can kind of see Morey thinking that two late firsts for like Harrison Barnes seems reasonable to him, while Monte would be like "Um, we're using him and we're trying to make the playoffs and your offer is crap," and Morey turns around and tells Cowherd that every GM would expect you could get Barnes for two late firsts!

Finally having some time to sit down and give a listen, I don't get the impression it was part of a Simmons deal. I'm with Warhawk on this one.

We need to remember that the FRPs that Morey was offering would have been protected and likely 25+ picks, so not exactly world-beating assets. I wonder if once again Morey didn't have some wild expectations about what he should be able to get in a "fair" trade. I can kind of see Morey thinking that two late firsts for like Harrison Barnes seems reasonable to him, while Monte would be like "Um, we're using him and we're trying to make the playoffs and your offer is crap," and Morey turns around and tells Cowherd that every GM would expect you could get Barnes for two late firsts!
It's certainly possible he meant that. I would be a little surprised he would pull the trigger on 2 first round picks for a different player knowing he may need them to unload Simmons for an "upgrade." Had he pulled the trigger on a hypothetical like that he would then have had to trade Maxey and or Thybulle in the big trade.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Maybe he was shocked the Blazers weren't completely stupid and not willing to part with Dame for two heavily protected firsts

I suppose it's different in cities that have NBA teams, but I wonder if forum members know a lot of other NBA fans. I know very few people that are interested in the NBA. I'd say out of every 10 people I talk sports with, one or at most two follow the NBA with any regularity. NFL, college football, baseball, college basketball, NBA and NHL in that order around here.

I did see a dude with a Kings hat on the other day and I asked what I always do, "like the kings or just the hat?" The answer was just the hat but he kinda liked the early 2000s version and didn't care for the Lakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.