[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (DEC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Maybe they should take a page from the Houston playbook and sign a couple of vets like Dillon Brooks and FVV and unless I’m mistaken, Jeff Green. Those guys have some dog in them. Can’t tell me guys like Bagley and Wiseman are like those vets. Ivey and his agent publicly tried to navigate where he was going to get picked (personally, it looks like entitlement and red flag). You got young guys running the show there and maybe it’s time to hand over to the right vets to get them back on track.
I think when you look at the guys on that roster -- they aren't terrible players for the most part but they don't fit together. Knowing they'd already invested a #1 pick in a facilitating wing with questionable shooting credentials in 2021, they could have used their 2022 #5 pick to take a shooter or a defender but instead they took another primary ballhandler with shaky shooting splits. Then when faced with a similar choice in this year's draft they took Ausar Thompson who is an exciting player in his own right but even worse than Jaden Ivey and Cade Cunningham as a shooter.

Terrible teams stacking a bunch of lotto picks together regardless of fit don't have a very good track record. If they press onward with this strategy and try to patch the holes in the roster with overpaid vets they're just going to ruin the careers of all of these players. The best thing they could do right now is just move Cade and Ivey for more picks while they still have a sliver of value left and forget the last three years ever happened. Just start from zero with a better GM and build around Ausar Thompson.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The striking thing about the Pistons is that they're like the anti-Kings in that they pulled the plug and went full tank and rebuild whereas the Kings constantly refused to bottom out and just sorta stuck around the 8-10th pick range for the better part of a decade and yet the Pistons are somehow even further away from being a good team than those Kings squads were.

Falling in the draft lotto two years in a row probably didn't help matters but Troy Weaver has absolutely done nothing with the resources given to him aside from somehow locking up some of their draft assets in limbo (They can't trade a first round pick until 2028 because of the draft protections they put in place when they traded for the Jalen Duren pick in the 2022 draft if my math is right) and inexplicably putting the team's payroll over the cap despite Cade, Duren, Ivey, and Ausar all being on rookie deals still.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I think when you look at the guys on that roster -- they aren't terrible players for the most part but they don't fit together. Knowing they'd already invested a #1 pick in a facilitating wing with questionable shooting credentials in 2021, they could have used their 2022 #5 pick to take a shooter or a defender but instead they took another primary ballhandler with shaky shooting splits. Then when faced with a similar choice in this year's draft they took Ausar Thompson who is an exciting player in his own right but even worse than Jaden Ivey and Cade Cunningham as a shooter.

Terrible teams stacking a bunch of lotto picks together regardless of fit don't have a very good track record. If they press onward with this strategy and try to patch the holes in the roster with overpaid vets they're just going to ruin the careers of all of these players. The best thing they could do right now is just move Cade and Ivey for more picks while they still have a sliver of value left and forget the last three years ever happened. Just start from zero with a better GM and build around Ausar Thompson.
you would give up on Cade so soon? this same type of situation happened with Kings players when they were dysfunctional for a decade plus, not all players went on to blossom after leaving the franchise but you could tell which ones had tools to work with to have good, productive careers outside of Sac.

hrdboild

Staff member
you would give up on Cade so soon? this same type of situation happened with Kings players when they were dysfunctional for a decade plus, not all players went on to blossom after leaving the franchise but you could tell which ones had tools to work with to have good, productive careers outside of Sac.
This wouldn't be giving up on Cade, it would be an escape hatch after the GM basically tied both his hands behind his back sticking him with a team full of non-shooters. They have to max him in a year and he's going to waste the first half of his career on a 20 win team if they do that. The Pistons are going to suck for awhile with or without him, I'd rather they just trade him for picks now instead of wasting his career. He's only going to lose trade value the longer he stays there.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
This wouldn't be giving up on Cade, it would be an escape hatch after the GM basically tied both his hands behind his back sticking him with a team full of non-shooters. They have to max him in a year and he's going to waste the first half of his career on a 20 win team if they do that. The Pistons are going to suck for awhile with or without him, I'd rather they just trade him for picks now instead of wasting his career. He's only going to lose trade value the longer he stays there.
if the GM thinks Cade is worthy of keeping around then he can just trade his non-shooters and better surround Cade, Ausar and whoever else they see in their long term with better complimentary pieces. Whether that happens with this current staff is unknown at this time but I think you keep a talent like that and just go through a couple more lottery seasons if need be in order to determine if he really is a long term building block. I think Booker was wasting away in Phoenix for 5 seasons before his first Playoff appearance, that's just one player I can think of, there are others that aren't quite coming to me at the moment

Monty looks like a bad hire for the Pistons. He has Ivey coming off the bench and standing in the corner as a spot up shooter in lineups where there is basically one shooter on the floor. Cade has potential but he makes really bad decisions with no recourse/consequences. I'm sure Ivey loves seeing that. Killian Hayes still can't shoot but he tries. Duren is their biggest bright spot and he's hurt again. Weaver decided to bring on reclamation projects in Wiseman and Bagley and they just haven't helped nor do they look like they've improved. Beef Stew cares and tries, but he's just okay overall and another non shooter. They basically have Bojan and Burks as their best shooters and that's it. Sasser looks like he might be something.

All that on top of the owner that bought the team after the Davidson's put it up for sale is not a good owner. Moved them into the new Little Caesars Arena a few years ago but they latched onto the Illitch's coattails like the Clippers did with Staples and you can tell the arena is built for hockey when you are there. It sucks for basketball and makes one appreciate that G1C was built for basketball.

I'm not sure who would want to sign there or where the team goes from here. :::Shrugs::: as a Kings fan, I feel for the Pistons fans

hrdboild

Staff member
if the GM thinks Cade is worthy of keeping around then he can just trade his non-shooters and better surround Cade, Ausar and whoever else they see in their long term with better complimentary pieces. Whether that happens with this current staff is unknown at this time but I think you keep a talent like that and just go through a couple more lottery seasons if need be in order to determine if he really is a long term building block. I think Booker was wasting away in Phoenix for 5 seasons before his first Playoff appearance, that's just one player I can think of, there are others that aren't quite coming to me at the moment
Did you watch the Kings between 2005 and 2021? By the time they go through a couple more lottery seasons Cade will be unmovable on a max contract and completely done as an NBA player from all the garbage coaches and teammates he's had to put up with. Paying him will stunt the ability of that team to find the right pieces to go with him and they'll be stuck in purgatory for another decade. I think when you screw up a roster this badly the only recourse is to bottom out and start over.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Did you watch the Kings between 2005 and 2021? By the time they go through a couple more lottery seasons Cade will be unmovable on a max contract and completely done as an NBA player from all the garbage coaches and teammates he's had to put up with. Paying him will stunt the ability of that team to find the right pieces to go with him and they'll be stuck in purgatory for another decade. I think when you screw up a roster this badly the only recourse is to bottom out and start over.
isn't this year a good starting point to bottom out and see who they can nab in the top 3? should they end up there of course.

hrdboild

Staff member
isn't this year a good starting point to bottom out and see who they can nab in the top 3? should they end up there of course.
If you have your franchise player you're not the worst team in the league. Either they don't have their franchise player yet or Monty Williams is his kryptonite and they need to eat $78 million dollars and fire him this season. I just can't see any team handing a coach a $78 million / 6 year contract and then immediately firing him.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
If you have your franchise player you're not the worst team in the league. Either they don't have their franchise player yet or Monty Williams is his kryptonite and they need to eat $78 million dollars and fire him this season. I just can't see any team handing a coach a $78 million / 6 year contract and then immediately firing him.
Monty will have a longer leash I think and plenty of time to fix things with Cade. Whether it works out for the Pistons in the long term remains to be seen.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Pistons are a model for what happens when you don’t have enough outside shooting. If they were doing the draft best player available like Monte did, should be time to deal a guy, like Hali, and lane a top vet talent. GM keeps with the young player potential guys and doubles down with Bagley and Wiseman. Not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.