[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (DEC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Granted, IT was calm and didn't do a Ron Artest BUT he went up into the stands to confront a fan which is a HUGE no-no for a wide variety of reasons. Just for the record? What that idiot fan said wouldn't even make the top ten list of things I've heard yelled at players by fans. The guy got under IT's skin and I have to wonder what will happen the next time a different fan tries the same thing. Although I understand why some people are applauding IT, I just don't think it's the kind of precedent the league wants to set.
I get it. IT shouldn't have went into the stands at all. No matter what. Call security and tell them you've had enough of the guy.

On the other hand, it's become too easy to act like these players aren't human beings. Having a few extra dollars in your bank account doesn't make you immune to negative behavior. Working hard your whole life to become elite at something for the priviledge of allowing others to verbally abuse you doesn't sound right.

Fans are paying to watch the game. They didn't purchase the right to the actual person. Emphasis is sometimes put on professional athletes being entitled or what not. But we've reached a point where fans are the ones who act entitled to crap all over a player for a missed shot, or if they don't live up to the expectations we set on them. So yeah, as a man/woman, sometimes you want to go ahead and set a personal boundary so you don't lose sight of being an actual individual.

Note: This post wasn't necessarily directed at you VF21. I was just piggybacking of your comment.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I get it. IT shouldn't have went into the stands at all. No matter what. Call security and tell them you've had enough of the guy.

On the other hand, it's become too easy to act like these players aren't human beings. Having a few extra dollars in your bank account doesn't make you immune to negative behavior. Working hard your whole life to become elite at something for the priviledge of allowing others to verbally abuse you doesn't sound right.

Fans are paying to watch the game. They didn't purchase the right to the actual person. Emphasis is sometimes put on professional athletes being entitled or what not. But we've reached a point where fans are the ones who act entitled to crap all over a player for a missed shot, or if they don't live up to the expectations we set on them. So yeah, as a man/woman, sometimes you want to go ahead and set a personal boundary so you don't lose sight of being an actual individual.

Note: This post wasn't necessarily directed at you VF21. I was just piggybacking of your comment.
I totally agree with your comments about the fans. You know how upset I can get even here on a message board when people go overboard in insulting/belittling players. I hate that IT was pushed to where he felt he had to go up into the stands. Unfortunately security in a lot of arenas has also seemingly become immune to some of this stuff. And, after all, this was in Philadelphia (where the fans booed Santa Claus).

Society (or at least some parts) has become a lot less civilized. And it makes me sad...

Maybe each of us needs to think about what we would have done had we been sitting next to the jerk? Anyway, I'm getting way off track so I'll just stop and hope something like this doesn't happen again.

I've been following Kelly Oubre lately and I've got to say he's turned into a fantastic player. He's athletic, long and fast. He can defend, he can get to the hoop and finish, and he can shoot a bit too. He's really turned his career around after an iffy start with the Wizards.

Really wish he was on the Kings.

middle finger and called him a *****. Somehow that warrants a ban and somehow IT felt the need to go over there. IT should get 10 games for being soft that’s an absurd reason to go into the stands and the fan being banned is absolute bull crap
You think fans giving double middle-fingers and swearing at the players (when unprovoked) is a good thing? I understand it happens but it shouldn't. There are little kids at the game and it's just not necessary let alone should it be accepted to have the fans cursing obscenities at the players. Why some of these blowhard losers think they're ticket entitles them to act like this is beyond me.

I don't know if I'd give the fan a lifetime ban but a ban for the rest of this season would be fair.

Utah acquires some more scoring in Jordan Clarkson for always injured Dante Exum....that's a good get for the Jazz.
Dante Exum at this point has got to be considered a major bust. Even when he's been on the court he's been average at best. It's a shame, back when he was drafted he had so much upside coming out of Australia.

Maybe he can get his career on track with a different team if he can ever stay healthy.

You think fans giving double middle-fingers and swearing at the players (when unprovoked) is a good thing? I understand it happens but it shouldn't. There are little kids at the game and it's just not necessary let alone should it be accepted to have the fans cursing obscenities at the players. Why some of these blowhard losers think they're ticket entitles them to act like this is beyond me.

I don't know if I'd give the fan a lifetime ban but a ban for the rest of this season would be fair.
oustide of basketball for a second, does someone giving you the middle really bother you that much big deal. Now back to basketball a fan calling a player a ***** of course is bad but come on man that’s the last thing someone should approach a fan for. Players have been heckled since the beginning of time being called a ***** isn’t serious. When I saw this I thought the guy would’ve said something about his sister but he called him a ***** that’s weak on IT

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

I believe I heard it was a season-long ban for the fan.

The best part is *why* the fan unloaded on IT. Thomas had missed the front half of a pair of free throws, and the fan wanted to make IT miss the second so he could get his free fast food item.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I believe I heard it was a season-long ban for the fan.

The best part is *why* the fan unloaded on IT. Thomas had missed the front half of a pair of free throws, and the fan wanted to make IT miss the second so he could get his free fast food item.
Season long ban for the fan sitting in the seat. ST revocation for the STH who sold his ticket to said fan.

I’m still in utter disbelief that someone gets that mad over getting called a ***** how could you possibly care that much. If my friends or brother called me one I’d be like damn but some random stranger I wouldn’t care. Now add in a random stranger I know is there to hate on me cause I play for the opposite team I’d probably laugh.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Season long ban for the fan sitting in the seat. ST revocation for the STH who sold his ticket to said fan.
That's WAY overboard. Somebody sold a ticket. Even if they knew the guy that bought it (and they might not have) they can't possibly predict that he would lay into a player in such a way as to cause this brouhaha.

That's WAY overboard. Somebody sold a ticket. Even if they knew the guy that bought it (and they might not have) they can't possibly predict that he would lay into a player in such a way as to cause this brouhaha.
Absolutely over the top. The main problem is that for years, the league has been perfectly OK with the idea that fans can say anything they want because they're customers, but players can't respond in any normal human way because they're not. THAT'S what the problem is; not IT. It's not deliberately set up so it's not possible there's a reasonable way to deal with problems like this - it just worked out that way.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I can't help but feel bad for Toronto: after winning the championship, they finally get to host a Christmas Day game, for the first time in their franchise history, and they still get stuck in the early game!

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
watching this Warriors game, Marquese Chriss has some really awful basketball IQ....it's a miracle he is still in the NBA and not playing against Anthony Bennett somewhere overseas

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Clippers v. Lakers playing now in Staples Center. One of the few times in a year where I root for both teams to lose. Either way, some fans in LA are gonna be really unhappy and that makes me smile.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Clippers v. Lakers playing now in Staples Center. One of the few times in a year where I root for both teams to lose. Either way, some fans in LA are gonna be really unhappy and that makes me smile.
My dream is for some group of drunk fans (either Clippers or Lakers) to start a "BEAT LA!" chant.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I feel like a player who's already won two championships (and two Finals MVPs, in the process) isn't necessarily motivated by "basketball reasons. I'm good with that, personally, but I can understand why that might offend the sensibilities of "team" fans.

EDIT - Also, I don't necessarily agree that basketball reasons weren't a concern, too. My opinions of Paul George and Paskal Siakam, respectively, are probably rather higher and lower than yours. That aside, the depth on the Clippers is incredible.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I feel like a player who's already won two championships (and two Finals MVPs, in the process) isn't necessarily motivated by "basketball reasons. I'm good with that, personally, but I can understand why that might offend the sensibilities of "team" fans.

EDIT - Also, I don't necessarily agree that basketball reasons weren't a concern, too. My opinions of Paul George and Paskal Siakam, respectively, are probably rather higher and lower than yours. That aside, the depth on the Clippers is incredible.
Doc is also one of the best coaches in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.