[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (DEC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And another thing: let's give Mark Cuban the benefit of the doubt, for the sake of argument. I don't know why the **** I should but, what the hell, let's just say: if he has a problem with the fundamentals of American basketball, why were his remarks directed towards the players, rather than the coaches/executives who operate these AAU teams?
That's a good point but if you read the full context of his statements and then his follow up he does make the point that it's organizational over here (he's not just blaming the players). Of course most of the blame should fall on the executives and coaches in AAU for the various shortcomings some of the incoming players have.

Cuban also claims that he was misquoted and said "dunks" not "taunt". The dunks are in direct relation to the "mixtapes" quote because so many of these young players coming out of high school have lengthy highlight/mixtape videos posted to youtube consisting almost entirely of dunks. As for who is making the tapes I don't know...... but suffice to say I don't think they'd get a lot of views if they consisted mostly of jumpshots and bounce passes.

As for Harrison Barnes, probably not a good idea on his part to publicly take issue with the guy who is signing his checks while he under-delivers on a big contract given to him because he was a "budding star". Literally all Barnes does well these days is shoot side 3's and get the occasional dunk. Doesn't pass, doesn't rebound, doesn't get steals, average defender, etc.

As for the "possible" implied racism from Cuban. To even suggest that Cuban is a racist or possible racist is just ridiculous. Spaz blowhard with a 12-yeard old's haircut? Probably......but nothing in his ownership tenure suggests racist.

if Slovenian basketball was really poppin' like that, then how come the Slovenian NT is currently ranked seventh in the world?
He used Slovenia as an example just because of Doncic.
And let me say not properly, because Doncic as a player grew up in Spain.
Anyway his point is valid, ex-Yugo is the best basketball school in the world since a long time imo.
To answer your question.... because Slovenia is a 2 milion people country.
Serbia is a 7 milion people country, Croatia is a 4 milion people country.
The number and the quality of the players came out of such a small countries is literally incredible.

About fundamentals, it's pretty clear in which direction the game is going forward.
I remember Duncan compaining "FIBA sucks" just because international referees were more finicky on travelling and just don't care on special treatment for stars.
And he was Tim Duncan, the big fundamental (I think he regrets his comments after the titles he won in the most FIBA oriented franchise).
Kobe had great fundamentals as well (not surprisingly he started play basketball in Europe).
Then... We've found ourselves in the league where the most iconic player travels and call it "crab dribble".
Now we are in the James Harden era, where he can choose... Get the friendly whistle getting inside or travel to create separation to shoot from three.
He's the league MVP.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
That's a good point but if you read the full context of his statements and then his follow up he does make the point that it's organizational over here (he's not just blaming the players). Of course most of the blame should fall on the executives and coaches in AAU for the various shortcomings some of the incoming players have.

Cuban also claims that he was misquoted and said "dunks" not "taunt". The dunks are in direct relation to the "mixtapes" quote because so many of these young players coming out of high school have lengthy highlight/mixtape videos posted to youtube consisting almost entirely of dunks. As for who is making the tapes I don't know...... but suffice to say I don't think they'd get a lot of views if they consisted mostly of jumpshots and bounce passes.
I did, in fact, read the full context of Cuban's statements, and his follow up. I don't owe Cuban the benefit of the doubt, and I'm not giving it to him. If he was only talking about the AAU basketball on an organizational level, that should have been the entirety of where his comments were directed, and they weren't, and his harshest criticisms were still levied towards the players, and that's inexcusable to me.

He claims he was misquoted? Well, color me don't-give-a-damn. What's wrong with dunks, anyway? What the hell is even wrong with mixtapes? And how do you make the illogical leap of concluding videos of jump shots and bounces passes wouldn't get views = American players don't learn those things?

As for Harrison Barnes, probably not a good idea on his part to publicly take issue with the guy who is signing his checks while he under-delivers on a big contract given to him because he was a "budding star". Literally all Barnes does well these days is shoot side 3's and get the occasional dunk. Doesn't pass, doesn't rebound, doesn't get steals, average defender, etc.
Did you just pull the "He's not a good enough player to comment on this" card on him? Seriously?

As for the "possible" implied racism from Cuban. To even suggest that Cuban is a racist or possible racist is just ridiculous. Spaz blowhard with a 12-yeard old's haircut? Probably......but nothing in his ownership tenure suggests racist.
Whatever, man. I'm not opening this up to a broader discussion about race, because we don't really do that here, so I'll say this, and if you want to keep talking about it, you can PM me, or something: Cuban is a guy who said , in the wake of Trayvon Martin's murder, in defense of Donald Sterling, that "If I see a black kid in a hoodie and it's late at night, I'm walking to the other side of the street." And the follow-up comment about the white kid covered in tattoos doesn't mitigate that, even the tiniest bit. Mark Cuban might not be a racist, but he ain't the furthest thing from a racist, and the possibility damned sure ain't 'ridiculous'.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I did, in fact, read the full context of Cuban's statements, and his follow up. I don't owe Cuban the benefit of the doubt, and I'm not giving it to him. If he was only talking about the AAU basketball on an organizational level, that should have been the entirety of where his comments were directed, and they weren't, and his harshest criticisms were still levied towards the players, and that's inexcusable to me.

He claims he was misquoted? Well, color me don't-give-a-damn. What's wrong with dunks, anyway? What the hell is even wrong with mixtapes? And how do you make the illogical leap of concluding videos of jump shots and bounces passes wouldn't get views = American players don't learn those things?

Did you just pull the "He's not a good enough player to comment on this" card on him? Seriously?

Whatever, man. I'm not opening this up to a broader discussion about race, because we don't really do that here, so I'll say this, and if you want to keep talking about it, you can PM me, or something: Cuban is a guy who said , in the wake of Trayvon Martin's murder, in defense of Donald Sterling, that "If I see a black kid in a hoodie and it's late at night, I'm walking to the other side of the street." And the follow-up comment about the white kid covered in tattoos doesn't negate that, even the tiniest bit. Mark Cuban might not be a racist, but he ain't the furthest thing from a racist, and the possibility damned sure ain't 'ridiculous'.
I mean, even if he's not a racist, he's still either a grossly incompetent guy who failed to notice the culture of sexual harassment running rampant in the entire Mavs organization or worse yet willfully allowed the bad sexual behavior to occur on his watch.

Like I realize that the Mavs can do no wrong now that they drafted Luka but seriously guys Mark Cuban isn't a good guy anyway you spin it.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
He used Slovenia as an example just because of Doncic.
And let me say not properly, because Doncic as a player grew up in Spain.
Anyway his point is valid, ex-Yugo is the best basketball school in the world since a long time imo.
To answer your question.... because Slovenia is a 2 milion people country.
Serbia is a 7 milion people country, Croatia is a 4 milion people country.
The number and the quality of the players came out of such a small countries is literally incredible.
Ah, yes, population theory. This explains, of course, why India and China are ranked Top 5 in every international sport ( :: checks notes :: )... Wait, you mean they aren't? Well damn! Well, at least the United States dominates everything ( :: checks FIFA World Rankings :: )... Curses! Foiled again!

About fundamentals, it's pretty clear in which direction the game is going forward.
I remember Duncan compaining "FIBA sucks" just because international referees were more finicky on travelling and just don't care on special treatment for stars.
And he was Tim Duncan, the big fundamental (I think he regrets his comments after the titles he won in the most FIBA oriented franchise).
Kobe had great fundamentals as well (not surprisingly he started play basketball in Europe).
Then... We've found ourselves in the league where the most iconic player travels and call it "crab dribble".
Now we are in the James Harden era, where he can choose... Get the friendly whistle getting inside or travel to create separation to shoot from three.
He's the league MVP.
I don't know how you managed to equate non-calls with a lack of fundamentals, or Tim Duncan complaining about not getting superstar treatment with a disdain for fundamentals but, okay.

LeBron James and James Harden get away with traveling because they're allowed to get away with it. If they weren't, they wouldn't. And they'd still be just as dominant. I'd bet lunch that you couldn't find a coach to get on the record in 2018 and say that those guys lack fundamentals, though.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I mean, even if he's not a racist, he's still either a grossly incompetent guy who failed to notice the culture of sexual harassment running rampant in the entire Mavs organization or worse yet willfully allowed the bad sexual behavior to occur on his watch.

Like I realize that the Mavs can do no wrong now that they drafted Luka but seriously guys Mark Cuban isn't a good guy anyway you spin it.
Best-case scenario, Mark Cuban is a tone deaf, negligent jackass, who shouldn't be commenting on anyone's culture, anywhere.

Ah, yes, population theory. This explains, of course, why India and China are ranked Top 5 in every international sport ( :: checks notes :: )... Wait, you mean they aren't? Well damn! Well, at least the United States dominates everything ( :: checks FIFA World Rankings :: )... Curses! Foiled again!
Jesus, I'm talking about countries where basketball is popular and part of the culture!
Guess what, Mali is not good playing ice hockey.
You judge a basketball school by ranking, wtf. My bad I replied.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Hey, population is either relevant, or it isn't. You brought it up first, in rebuttal to my question about why Slovenia isn't ranked higher, if their basketball program is so good? That puts it on the table. Basketball is popular and part of the culture in China. Is it as popular as it is in Slovenia? I don't know: I've been to several different countries in my life, but neither one of those. If it's not the most popular sport in China, I'm pretty sure that it's the second-most popular, just like it's the second-most popular sport in the US. Which means that it's popular enough that, just by sheer math, they should be ranked higher.

Do I think that they're good at basketball in Slovenia? Yes. I think that any nation ranked in the FIBA Top Ten is good at basketball, whether the sport is "part of their culture" or not. I mean, it kind of begs the question of, if the sport is so popular there, why isn't the women's team even ranked in the Top 50 (Slovenia is, curiously, the only nation whose men's team is in the Top 10, whose women's team isn't at least in the Top 30), but that's maybe for another time. Do I think that our players would be better if we sent them to Slovenia? No. That's nuts. I think that the young American players who would benefit from playing in Slovenia would benefit just as much from playing in the G-League, or (even though I reject the entire college sports system) 2+ years of college.

Hey, population is either relevant, or it isn't. You brought it up first, in rebuttal to my question about why Slovenia isn't ranked higher, if their basketball program is so good? That puts it on the table. Basketball is popular and part of the culture in China. Is it as popular as it is in Slovenia? I don't know: I've been to several different countries in my life, but neither one of those. If it's not the most popular sport in China, I'm pretty sure that it's the second-most popular, just like it's the second-most popular sport in the US. Which means that it's popular enough that, just by sheer math, they should be ranked higher.

Do I think that they're good at basketball in Slovenia? Yes. I think that any nation ranked in the FIBA Top Ten is good at basketball, whether the sport is "part of their culture" or not. I mean, it kind of begs the question of, if the sport is so popular there, why isn't the women's team even ranked in the Top 50 (Slovenia is, curiously, the only nation whose men's team is in the Top 10, whose women's team isn't at least in the Top 30), but that's maybe for another time. Do I think that our players would be better if we sent them to Slovenia? No. That's nuts. I think that the young American players who would benefit from playing in Slovenia would benefit just as much from playing in the G-League, or (even though I reject the entire college sports system) 2+ years of college.
I've been to both countries actually, but I don't see the point with this topic. Anyway... What's the difference between China and Slovenia? Know how! China opened to international coaches just in the 00's in order to progress their basketball. On the other hand, talking about Slovenia history with basketball is kind of tricky because until 1991 it was just a region in Yugoslavia. So now, if I have to start talking about basketball in Yugoslavia it's gonna take ages... Nikolic, Novosel, Tanjevic, Obradovic, generation and generation of great basketball minds. Guess where Popovich is from...

NBA_PopObra.jpg

https://www.rollingstone.com/cultur...-basketball-team-wasnt-the-dream-team-252031/

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I've been to both countries actually, but I don't see the point with this topic. Anyway... What's the difference between China and Slovenia? Know how! China opened to international coaches just in the 00's in order to progress their basketball. On the other hand, talking about Slovenia history with basketball is kind of tricky because until 1991 it was just a region in Yugoslavia. So now, if I have to start talking about basketball in Yugoslavia it's gonna take ages... Nikolic, Novosel, Tanjevic, Obradovic, generation and generation of great basketball minds. Guess where Popovich is from...

View attachment 8671

https://www.rollingstone.com/cultur...-basketball-team-wasnt-the-dream-team-252031/
Cool. Appreciate the info.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2812061-anthony-davis-trade-kicker-gives-la-lakers-leverage

"I'm not worried about James tampering to the media about AD. It's that James and Paul are mafioso mob bosses of the NBA that's the problem," a Western Conference general manager said.
Mafioso mob bosses?

You know, I don't ever want the lakers to have anything, ever in life. BUT... I kind of want this anonymous GM to be outed, and for his best player to leave as a free agent to go play with LeBron, out of spite.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

View attachment 8671

Pop is actually from Indiana and his nationality is American, his father was Serbian and mother Croatian

Status
Not open for further replies.