[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (AUG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Screw the passing on Luka angst. Gary Trent Jr. would have been a perfect fit for the roster, we drafted him and immediately flipped him for future second round picks lol.
I mean, the way things go in draft rooms, we almost certainly flipped the pick for future picks without knowing who Portland wanted to take with it. If I recall the rumor from the time, we had a (never-named) player targeted at 37, and when that player went off the board, we pulled the trigger on a deal. That might have even been from the Vlade post-draft presser, I'm not sure where that came from, but that's what I remember hearing.

I'm actually not at all sure what happened to Trent in the draft process. He started out his freshman year as a late-lotto guy in the mocks and then dropped down after a poor start to the season, but I just looked at my notes for him that year and early in the year I was down on him and by the end of the season I was saying I didn't know what 2-guard I would take in front of him and slotting him in the late lotto again. If you had told me he was going to drop to 37 I'd have been shocked. But he did, and I don't know if somebody red-flagged a medical or if teams were just getting cute (there were some..."interesting"...picks in the 2018 draft, and I'm not talking about the top five) but Trent basically went into a freefall. I kind of doubt that we worked him out at all - he wasn't going #2 and he wasn't working out for a team that didn't have a pick in at least the 20s. Even if we had stayed in the #7 slot he was probably not high on our radar during the college season anyway because he was a late-lotto/20s guy and we weren't going to be picking anywhere near there. When our target at #37 went off the board, yes, it's our job to know who's left but if Trent is sight-unseen, and he's falling for some reason - all these other teams who had a shot at him are taking other guys for some reason we don't know - should we really take a stab in the dark? Portland on the other hand had almost certainly worked him out since they had #24 (and used it themselves on an iffy player) so presumably they had a better idea of Trent's standing.

I do think that if Vlade has made one thing clear about his draft philosophy, it's that he doesn't want to draft a player that he hasn't taken a real good look at. To the extent that you can't take a real good look at 75 guys, given where we were picking Trent would have been pretty far down my personal "take a real good look at list".

Not gonna lie, when #37 came up I thought we were going to take Kurucs, but when Trent's name got called I was like "Yeah, that works real nice too" until the word came down that we were picking for Portland. Oh well. Can't win 'em all. Maybe seems we can't win any of 'em, but we surely can't win 'em all.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
While "screw the passing on Luka angst" might be a little over the top, I co-sign the sentiment, one hundred percent. For all the hand-wringing about passing on a generational talent, I would argue that having a good player in hand, and giving them away because you don't see their value, is at least as egregious.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
While "screw the passing on Luka angst" might be a little over the top, I co-sign the sentiment, one hundred percent. For all the hand-wringing about passing on a generational talent, I would argue that having a good player in hand, and giving them away because you don't see their value, is at least as egregious.
On that note, PDA’s first offseason in which he somehow managed to turn a core of Boogie/IT/Reke into a core of Boogie alone while also ignoring Petrie’s advice that he take Giannis remains an all-timer.

Edit: whoops apparently we still had IT. Time moves differently when you suck for two decades.

It’s more than over the top Trent is a role player

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
It’s more than over the top Trent is a role player
From a certain point of view (mine), you could argue that every player in the NBA who is not a superstar is a role player. Role players don't get half the respect they deserve. A player like Trent, Jr. Is not as valuable as a player like Doncic, but every team in the league doesn't have a Trent, Jr., either.

Failing the superstar-falling-into-your-lap gambit, the goal should be to get value, where you can find it. So, having value, and tossing it aside, is plenty egregious in its own right, especially when your team is in a small market.

TJ Warren really turning his career around since arriving in Indiana
And to think the suns traded him away for a bag of chips.

Then again the suns are 5-0 so maybe they aren’t totally in implode mode. And it’s not like they’re playing all crap teams.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
And to think the suns traded him away for a bag of chips.

Then again the suns are 5-0 so maybe they aren’t totally in implode mode. And it’s not like they’re playing all crap teams.
I can't really blame the Suns for getting rid of him because he really didn't show much promise in his time there and they drafted Bridges and re-signed Oubre so playing time would of been hard to come by.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
i admire Pop’s ability to coach a team through adversity but Derrick White having an apparently bad knee injury might finally be the straw that breaks the Spurs back.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I feel like I've said this a hundred times, already, but Stephanie Ready is wasted on the sideline. She should be a main analyst. Hell, she should be coaching!

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Also, the Washington Wizards are now behind the Charlotte Hornets and the Chicago Bulls, in the eastern conference standings.

Neither the Hornets nor the Bulls are in the bubble.

If it turns out that the Wizards were just using the bubble to get better draft position...

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
looks like Gentry's tenure with the Pelicans will be coming to an end within the coming days
If they had done this two seasons ago like they rightfully should have, AD would probably still be in New Orleans and Boogie would probably still have a normally functioning leg.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
If they had done this two seasons ago like they rightfully should have, AD would probably still be in New Orleans and Boogie would probably still have a normally functioning leg.
Gentry is bad no argument there but I think Davis was going to leave regardless chasing the bigger market appeal

Status
Not open for further replies.