NBA Beat: Kings to face Lakers in Fresno

Nice try. We both know the Kings will be seriously Jet lagged on Tuesday. Fresno State could probably give them a run for their money.
Vlade isn't a traitor, it was a mutually beneficial parting, IMO.
Grant, well, we drafted him;)
Sasha? Haven't seen much from him.
Mihm? Nope, not much to get worked up about there.

You missed the point. There's really not much room for hate except perhaps for Kobe. I don't see any rivalry but expect total domination by the Kings this time around. As they say, "Every dog as its day..."

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Kingsgurl said:
Nice try. We both know the Kings will be seriously Jet lagged on Tuesday. Fresno State could probably give them a run for their money.
Vlade isn't a traitor, it was a mutually beneficial parting, IMO.
Grant, well, we drafted him;)
Sasha? Haven't seen much from him.
Mihm? Nope, not much to get worked up about there.
Not sure how long you expect the jet lag to last but the team should have flown back last night, so given all day today to rest up and maybe a light practice Monday they may not super fresh on Tuesday, but the other side of that coin is that after back to back games agains Houston the Kings ought to be sharp. So I wont buy jet lag if the Kings loose Tuesday, infact I too expect to see the starters handel the Lakers starters prety well.

Really? I know people who have vacationed in China for a week who said it took them at least a week or two for their internal clocks to readjust, after adjusting to the time difference there. Than again, they were mere mortals.

Lamar, I fully expect the Kings WILL dominate the lakers during the regular season, I'm just not putting much stock in Tuesdays game

16 hour jetlag isn't that bad, it just sounds bad. And as someone pointed out, they're actually getting about two days of rest.

So, Kings should win this one, assuming no one's injured. I wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers won though, I'm not real impressed with Webber's progress.

16 hour jetlag isn't that bad, it just sounds bad.
Oh, so you've been to China? No ill effects the day after you got back?

So, Kings should win this one, assuming no one's injured. I wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers won though, I'm not real impressed with Webber's progress
So, if the Kings lose, it will be because Webber hasn't made progress, not anything to do with the fact that Adelman doesn't appear to be coaching to win many of these games. None of the starters are logging big minutes still. Are the lakers still playing their camp fodder? I haven't followed them much, but I did notice Kobe was logging some heavy minutes. Gee, you think he can score on the guys trying to make our 12th spot?:p

Kingsgurl said:
Oh, so you've been to China? No ill effects the day after you got back?
Yes, actually, about twice a year for the last 3 years in fact. Taiwan too.

Anyway, all you do is sleep on the plane during the hours you normally would be back in the U.S. and you can get over the lag in a couple days at most. And I'm in a commercial 747, NBA players have far far nicer rides and are much more comfortable than my crowded seat.

So, if the Kings lose, it will be because Webber hasn't made progress, not anything to do with the fact that Adelman doesn't appear to be coaching to win many of these games.
That could be, did I say that scenario couldn't happen? Lots of teams play their starters 40 minutes one night and 20 the next during the preseason. It happens. We'll see, won't we? :)

Last edited:

piksi

Hall of Famer
Lamar_Odom said:
You missed the point. There's really not much room for hate except perhaps for Kobe. I don't see any rivalry but expect total domination by the Kings this time around. As they say, "Every dog as its day..."
When we talk about LAL - there is always a reason to "strongly dislike them"

Let me get people's opinion on this. It is a 15 hour time difference between here and China and, as people noted, it's a 16 hour flight. In effect aren't they leaving and returning home at just about the same time??? I'm guessing they probably left China at about 5:00 in the afternoon on Sunday which would have been about 2:00 AM our time. They should have then landed about 6:00 on Sunday night in Sac???

So, Kings should win this one, assuming no one's injured.
Umm, until Adelman shows that he is really trying to win a pre-season game versus seeing his 12th man candidates in action, predicting which team will win a pre-season game makes no sense.

The thing to watch for is the first part of the 1st and 3rd quarters, when we likely (not definitely) would see each team's starters matched up against each other. Keep track of the scoring in each quarter until the first substitutions are made.

I did this for Game 1 in China, and the Kings "won" 31-16, if I recall. I didn't do it for Game 2, but I expect it must have been pretty even.

Last edited:
Kingsgurl said:
Are the lakers still playing their camp fodder? I haven't followed them much, but I did notice Kobe was logging some heavy minutes. Gee, you think he can score on the guys trying to make our 12th spot?:p
Actually, the players that are trying to make the team are hardly playing. Rudy T. is trying to get some kind of momentum going with the players he's going to run with. So, if the Lakers lose, it won't be because he's looking at other players and what they can do. It would just be because they are inferior. Rudy T. is not playing chicken in this training camp.

Lamar_Odom said:
Of course, there's a lot of hate left. Vlade the traitor, that new kid Sasha Vujacic, heck, even that Brad Miller wannabe Chris Mihm, not to mention the weedmaster, Lamar Odom, and braids Brian Grant.

Unfortunately, I expect a slaughter by the Kings this Tuesday. The Lakers are too raw to compete against the mighty Sacramento Kings at this point.
I think it could be a reasonably close game depending on minute distribution and foul situations (read: Mihm). Rudy's been playing Kobe and Lamar quite a bit, so if he keeps that up, there might be a chance for a competitive game. This'll be Mihm's first game with us against a good front line. Interested to see how he'll do.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
KA_2 said:
Yes, actually, about twice a year for the last 3 years in fact. Taiwan too.

Anyway, all you do is sleep on the plane during the hours you normally would be back in the U.S. and you can get over the lag in a couple days at most. And I'm in a commercial 747, NBA players have far far nicer rides and are much more comfortable than my crowded seat.
For the record, not everyone can sleep on planes - and even if they do, it's not always the REM sleep needed for true benefit.

My mom went to China a few years ago. She spent a very busy week there, came home - with some sleep on the flight - and then had about 5 days of adjustment. My mom, BTW, is used to traveling. So, there you go...

Different people react different ways.

Why is this being argued again?

;)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Ryle said:
Let me get people's opinion on this. It is a 15 hour time difference between here and China and, as people noted, it's a 16 hour flight. In effect aren't they leaving and returning home at just about the same time??? I'm guessing they probably left China at about 5:00 in the afternoon on Sunday which would have been about 2:00 AM our time. They should have then landed about 6:00 on Sunday night in Sac???
If those are the numbers than that would be about right Ryle. The difference is that while its the same time of day (roughly) your body has kept on advancing for 15 hours and that's what throws you off. As far as your body is concerend, its 5:00 + 16hrs = 9:00am.

Lamar_Odom said:
Actually, the players that are trying to make the team are hardly playing. Rudy T. is trying to get some kind of momentum going with the players he's going to run with. So, if the Lakers lose, it won't be because he's looking at other players and what they can do. It would just be because they are inferior. Rudy T. is not playing chicken in this training camp.
Different agendas, which was pretty much the point I was making on not being able to take much out of the final score.

VF21 said:
For the record, not everyone can sleep on planes - and even if they do, it's not always the REM sleep needed for true benefit.

My mom went to China a few years ago. She spent a very busy week there, came home - with some sleep on the flight - and then had about 5 days of adjustment. My mom, BTW, is used to traveling. So, there you go...

;)
Jet lag is interesting, 15 hours is not that bad compared to 12 hours ;). Though it is 15 hours clock wise it is only 9 hours when you look at it. Average human body can adjust somewhere between 2 to 3 hours a day even if you dont follow all the jet lag elimination methods. So after a couple of days they should feel more like 3 to 4 hours of jet lag which isnt bad for an evening game, though i do understand that the body doesnt like to do certain things at certain time.

For instance if you are used to practicing and playing in the evenings (all in same time zone) then the morning games are not easy for many, thats why sometimes you see certain teams not doing good on those sunday afternoon games ;).

Worst case is that the players might get hungry during the game or maybe even need bathroom breaks during the game ;), but its not that bad to say that their play will be affected because of the jetlag. They sure didnt seem affected when they went the other way around, did they

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I understand what you're saying. I think what people aren't taking into consideration is that most of the players were pretty busy sight-seeing, public relationsing, etc. while they were there in addition to the game. Because of that, they're going to be recovering from both the trip AND the equivalent of "See Europe - 14 countries in 3 days" kind of thing.

But it could be worse. From what Stern was saying, he's pushing to have actual season games there in the future. I don't like the idea of that because it puts the teams who go at a disadvantage when they get back. It's not something that can be readily measured, but there has to be an advantage for the opponent who hasn't traveled to China and back...

Lakers will never again be as disgusting. There are very few words in which I can describe just how much hate I had for all the arrogant bastards that played for that team in the past few years. Sure, Kobe is arrogant as well, but at least its because of his 2nd fiddle complex and his game really is awesome, unlike let's say Fox who acted (and played) like a jerk all the time for absolutely no reason.
I thought I'd never say this, but with Vlade in LA uniform, I'm actually looking forward to watching some of their games.

VF21 said:

;)
Agreed, I can never sleep on flights unless ofcourse I raid the minibar and get totally inebriated. I travel long distances quite often and I don't really get jet lag. I guess you are right that people react differently.

Actually, all you do is take a Valium and you should be out like a light, no matter how awake you are.

That said, sure, different people adjust differently to time zones. But these are athletes, and I doubt any of them are going to have more trouble than me adjusting to a new time zone.

And I have no idea why we're arguing this VF. :D

Ryle said:
The earth spins counter-clockwise from the nothern aspect. If you flew at 1,000 mph due west, you would keep up with the sun and land at about the same time you took off. But, you would have crosed the International dateline into tomorrow. If you fly from China to the USA, you really eat up time.

Something is wrong here. The earth spins at about 1,000 mph at airplane elevation. Passenger planes are much slower. I think it is nine time zones (hours) from Sacramento to eastern China. Sixteen hours of flight-time would be about right.

I'm confused and tired. Going to bed.

san fransisco to hong kong takes 15 hours non stop and i am guessing that the flight to shanghai is lesser than that. However it is a tough flight to travel in coach class, but its a lot easier in the first class with all the comfort and the way you can sleep with your legs fully stretched. I love the singapore airlines first class flight and it makes that trip a lot easier, and i am guessing that the chartered flights are much more comfortable than the first class with lots of walking space.

But at the same time the bigger planes are better and i am not sure what the chartered flights are, the jumbos make it a lot lot better than the regular boeings

It's being argued because we have 16 days before November 2 :)

I think it depends on the person. I came back from Australia about 3 years ago doing a 5 hour stint from Melbourne to Auckland with a 45 minute layover, 11 hours from there to LA (slept 2 hours max on the plane), then from LA to Washington DC via Philly; this was about 2 days of travel non-stop. I got in at about midnight, stayed up 2 hours talking with my friend, and then slept straight until noon the following day. No jet lag or anything after that.