NBA Beat: Kings to face Lakers in Fresno

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/11123666p-12040039c.html

NBA Beat: Kings will face the new-look Lakers in Fresno

Kobe Bryant is back for Los Angeles, but many others aren't.

By Joe Davidson -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Sunday, October 17, 2004

It's not too late to get into a Fantasy Sports League. Sign up here.
Only in today's NBA can a team - the Kings - jet 16 or so hours to China for two preseason games, then arrive home with their time clocks completely kaput and regain their sense for one practice. Then board that same charter for a quickie flight to Fresno.

And only in today's NBA can a team so familiar for so long - the Lakers - be transformed so quickly, via trades or free-agent defections. Say hello to new-look Los Angeles, whom the Kings will play Tuesday night in Fresno for the least-anticipated meeting among rivals since at least the early-to mid-1990s. And be sure to bring an updated roster for this one.

You'll hardly recognize this Lakers lot, with Shaquille O'Neal, Rick Fox, Derek Fisher, Gary Payton, Karl Malone and coach Phil Jackson gone. (Malone might return sometime after the first of the year if his surgically repaired knee so allows.) New coach Rudy Tomjanovich inherits a club that isn't projected by any bookmakers or anyone across the NBA to make a realistic run at an NBA championship.

How about just making the playoffs? The Lakers broke training camp Friday in San Diego with plenty of crutches, ice bags and medical charts in tow. Vlade Divac, the former Kings captain who re-joined his first NBA team in the Lakers this summer, has been sidelined with a herniated disc. He's hoping to return by the start of the regular season. Others who aren't expected to play Tuesday are Devean George, Kareem Rush, Luke Walton and Slava Medvedenko, all of whom are nursing assorted ailments.

So it really is Kobe Bryant and four other guys running around.

"I don't even know who we are," Tomjanovich told camp reporters Friday.

He knows who Kobe is, the undisputed star left in the fold and the alleged taskmaster in running Jackson and O'Neal off in his apparent quest to make the Lakers solely his. In the Lakers' preseason opener against Seattle, Bryant scored 15 of Los Angeles' first 20 points and finished with 35 in 41 minutes, a ton of time for a marquee player in a preseason game. Lamar Odom, the key figure brought in from Miami in the O'Neal deal, looked a bit lost, making just 2 of 10 shots.

Seattle All-Star Ray Allen, never a real fan favorite of Bryant (and vice versa), predicted last week that Bryant would be a selfish player this season, perhaps asking for a trade if the Lakers don't win a championship in the next two or three seasons.

And with Bryant, there's always more. He has declined to comment in depth about a tell-all book Jackson wrote on the Lakers' 2003-04 season in which the Lakers guard was heavily criticized as a difficult player to manage with petty issues with O'Neal. Asked if he would read it, Bryant smirked and said, "Why?" (Tomjanovich, meanwhile, said he'd read the book - "Just curious.") Bryant also clowned with the media at the University of San Diego, fibbing a bit when he said he and his fellow Lakers swam with killer whales at SeaWorld as part of a bonding trick. But he also made it clear he's bored with the questions of last season.

"I don't know how many times people want to talk about last year," he said. "It's a new year. You've got to come up with a new question."

Kobe and Rudy T

Bryant and Tomjanovich said they like each other already. No feuds or personality clashes here, folks.

Bryant offered an assessment on the differences between his old coach and his new one in camp, saying, "Him and Phil are completely different as far as their relationship with players and how they approach the game. Everybody here, we all love Rudy. Rudy's great for us, him and his coaching staff. It's fun to be around them.

"He speaks to the players every day. Every player, one through 14, can go up to him and just talk to him about the game, just be open with him and converse with him. I think players like that."

One coach who knows Bryant well is Frank Hamblen, the former Kings assistant who was retained off Jackson's old staff in Los Angeles. Hamblen and Tomjanovich go back several decades. Hamblen is the longest-tenured assistant coach in the NBA, on the eve of his 35th season. He was scout with the Rockets in 1970 when the franchise was located in San Diego and he suggested the club draft Tomjanovich No. 2 out of Michigan.

They have been close since.

McGrady on Yao

Tracy McGrady knows a little about star treatment. Or at least he thought he did before witnessing the hysteria of the China Games in which the Rockets and the Kings played two preseason games.

Yao was the focal point for droves of admirers.

"It was amazing," McGrady, the Rockets' new guard, told reporters. "I had to sit back and take it all in. I couldn't believe how people react to him, the true support he gets, the love they have for him. He's international. He's an icon. He's huge. "People here look at us like a rock band. I love the international atmosphere. It's much different than in the States. They're constantly up, rowdy, cheering. It's fun. It's a great feeling playing in an atmosphere like this."

You'll hardly recognize this Lakers lot, with Shaquille O'Neal, Rick Fox, Derek Fisher, Gary Payton, Karl Malone and coach Phil Jackson gone.
It's gonna be hard to hate the Lakers with as much passion as the last couple seasons when they play the kings. Kind of takes the fun away. :confused:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Jeebus said:
It's gonna be hard to hate the Lakers with as much passion as the last couple seasons when they play the kings. Kind of takes the fun away. :confused:
Nah. I think you'll find, as a true Kings fan, that the ability to truly hate the LA Lakers at a deep, possibly even genetic level, is still there!

It doesn't mean the same. It's like Holmes beating Muhammed Ali. Yeah you beat him but he was a shadow of the man he once was. Beating him at this point doesn't mean as much as it used to...

Geoff said:
It doesn't mean the same. It's like Holmes beating Muhammed Ali. Yeah you beat him but he was a shadow of the man he once was. Beating him at this point doesn't mean as much as it used to...
Haha, speak for yourself! I'll enjoy every Laker whoopin we give, no matter who is wearing those ugly yellows. :)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I never hated the Lakers before the despicably arrogant Shaq/PJ/Kobe/Fox years. Now those years are over. Aside from my disgust with Kobe as a human being, its going to take a while for this crew to be anywhere near as repugnant as the last group. Be nice to beat up on them now, but hardly special.

Kobe drowns kittens and steals Halloween candy from tots and shoots 98.3 times a game while averaging 0.173 assists. THERE'S something to root against!

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Gargamel said:
Kobe drowns kittens and steals Halloween candy from tots and shoots 98.3 times a game while averaging 0.173 assists. THERE'S something to root against!
Ah ha! I expected as much. :p

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Gargy - You forgot the part where he intentionally helps little old ladies HALF WAY across the busiest streets in LA, and then abandons them to fend for themselves - during rush hour.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
VF21 said:
Gargy - You forgot the part where he intentionally helps little old ladies HALF WAY across the busiest streets in LA, and then abandons them to fend for themselves - during rush hour.
And then blames it on Shaq. ;)

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I am with Brick on this one. I never actualy hated the Lakers untill the bad days of the new millinium, but i think I can take all my hatered of PJ, Shaq, Fox Payton and Malone, rollit up into a ball and lay it all on Kobe and his minion. Glad to hear Gargy confirm my supcions about the little monster.

HndsmCelt said:
I am with Brick on this one. I never actualy hated the Lakers untill the bad days of the new millinium, but i think I can take all my hatered of PJ, Shaq, Fox Payton and Malone, rollit up into a ball and lay it all on Kobe and his minion. Glad to hear Gargy confirm my supcions about the little monster.
Lol. I know you really believe it too.

and then Godzilla moves in but Shaq gets jealous for not being the biggest thing anymore

and then this thread probably gets cut in half and sent to the lounge

piksi

Hall of Famer
Mad D said:
and then Godzilla moves in but Shaq gets jealous for not being the biggest thing anymore

and then this thread probably gets cut in half and sent to the lounge
Come on. The thread itself might not have any quality but it sure is fun.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Once again not to be out done Kobe begins his own film career staring in the TV mini Seris "The Michel Jordan Story"... as Scottie Pippen

piksi

Hall of Famer
HndsmCelt said:
Once again not to be out done Kobe begins his own film career staring in the TV mini Seris "The Michel Jordan Story"... as Scottie Pippen
:D

Costarting Bill Walton as Phil Jackson, Vlade as Perdue and Slava Medvedenko as M J

Gargamel said:
Of course, there's a lot of hate left. Vlade the traitor, that new kid Sasha Vujacic, heck, even that Brad Miller wannabe Chris Mihm, not to mention the weedmaster, Lamar Odom, and braids Brian Grant.

Unfortunately, I expect a slaughter by the Kings this Tuesday. The Lakers are too raw to compete against the mighty Sacramento Kings at this point.