[NBA] 2024 Free Agency mega-thread

His shot developed a disgusting hitch in the 2nd half of the season he's not the same guy he was killing Boston in the ECF the year before this one. For 9-12mil over 2-3 years yes anything more nah, something happened to his shooting form otherwise it's a no brainer to go after him,
the hitch is very concerning. Just look at how inconsistent Huerter has been because of that same issue. Just can't rely on that type of shooting for a full season/parts of a playoff series

Well, so much for nabbing him with our MLE..or getting him as a chaser for taking on Zach LaVine lol. I suppose some of us(mostly me) underestimated how much the Bulls still valued him.

Surprised, but I actually think the guy is going to be a a beast when he enters his prime. Still only 22
He has not done much and still gets 18M a year. Which are the advantages of his physical tools. Just so damn hard to find if you have them you go early.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Ya gotta respect the pettiness level if Ballmer is willing to let PG walk rather than trade him to the Warriors and allowing them to extend their Western Conference contention. I've gotta give him credit for standing on principle in that event. Hilarious.
I’m also not sure how ‘competitive’ the Warriors trade package was since both teams are technically over the second tax apron (Warriors could get under it by renouncing Klay’s caphold and like one other salary dump move and it’s not like the win now Clippers are going to be particularly interested in the Warriors 2029 first round pick or whatever

]
Ya gotta respect the pettiness level if Ballmer is willing to let PG walk rather than trade him to the Warriors and allowing them to extend their Western Conference contention. I've gotta give him credit for standing on principle in that event. Hilarious.
Can’t imagine the offer was anything to write home about. “Steph Curry and Draymond Green being 100% on board” is of low value to the Clippers

Yeh I kinda figured that would happen. Still, what’s the plan for Jarace Walker? I’m a bit surprised Obi is ok backing up Siakam long term.
Wonder if it’s just a short term arrangement, where he gets a guarantee higher than the MLE (which was probably what he was looking at elsewhere), and the pacers retain an asset, but they have the option to move him to a different team down the line.

Can you explain hard capped? I assumed it meant you can’t spend anymore money but OKC is “hard capped” because of Caruso trade according to Marks and they have 30 mil in cap space.
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q20

If a team is hard-capped, it cannot exceed the Apron under any circumstance. If the team subsequently needs to sign a player (for example, to replace injured players) it must first create room under the Apron by waiving player(s) with non-guaranteed salary, waiving player(s) with guaranteed salary and utilizing the stretch provision, trading downward in salary, etc2. A team that is hard-capped can utilize Summer Contracts (see question number 70) to sign players for training camp, but must waive them in time to clear waivers before the start of the regular season, if necessary to stay below the hard cap. A team subject to the hard cap can also sign players to Rest-of-Season contracts during the season, as long as the salary pro-ration keeps the team below the Apron.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Can you explain hard capped? I assumed it meant you can’t spend anymore money but OKC is “hard capped” because of Caruso trade according to Marks and they have 30 mil in cap space.
"Hard capped" doesn't mean that a team can't spend more money. "Hard capped" means that a team has a hard line above which their team salary may not go, and that line lasts for the entire year (July-June). The hard line exists at either the first apron or the second apron, and is triggered by several possible transactions. OKC had to use the "expanded traded player exception" to get Caruso, despite the relatively small difference between the salaries of Caruso and Giddey, so OKC cannot go above the first apron.

Dang I was really hoping we would take a swing
Obi seems like a player that flourishes with a point guard like Hali that can set him up for easy lobs and baskets. Seeing that the Kings don't have that type of point guard, I think Obi wouldn't be as effective in Sacramento, plus his defense is not good.

I'm more interested in Indiana's other FA bigman Jalen Smith, since he can offer some rim protection too.

Yeah, I used to enjoy digging into the intricacies of the CBA, but I’ve lost patience with the new one and the various aprons.

I get the concept, though. If you take advantage of certain rules that apply if you are below a specific threshold, you can’t later add salary to go above that threshold.

"Hard capped" doesn't mean that a team can't spend more money. "Hard capped" means that a team has a hard line above which their team salary may not go, and that line lasts for the entire year (July-June). The hard line exists at either the first apron or the second apron, and is triggered by several possible transactions. OKC had to use the "expanded traded player exception" to get Caruso, despite the relatively small difference between the salaries of Caruso and Giddey, so OKC cannot go above the first apron.
thanks!

This likely means Jalen Smith will not be re-signed by Indiana. He could be an upside swing the Kings can go after with part of the MLE.
It would still be a bit of a squash with Lyles here already. If Barnes goes out in a deal, that might open time up but if not at best Smith and Lyles would be platooning minutes or sitting some nights and playing others. The Kings have to get out of that pattern unless they are stocking up on defenders/rebounders. You can do that with those types, offensively skilled players need rhythm to not look like absolute trash.