[NBA] 2024 Free Agency mega-thread

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Holy mother. If you look at the luxury tax that this contract will generate over the first two years (for which, right now, the Suns seem to have little option of getting under the tax level), Royce O'Neal is going to cost a total of $139M - just over the first two years. I mean, the player is only getting about $20M of that, but the Suns are effectively going to be paying $120M to the league over two years for the privilege of having ROYCE O'NEAL.

Goodness, you look at the Clippers cap sheet and Tucker kind of F'd them picking up his option like that haha. They could have had decent space if Harden and PG13 are done. It doesn't look like they have any real options. They have to give Harden and PG13 what they want. Unless they just kind of want to tank out and rebuild, maybe get what they can for Kawhi.

I have to assume he is going back. Don’t think he would do his buddy Klaw dirty.
The obvious team to watch one would think is Philly, but Maxey, Embiid, and PG13 against the C's and Knicks? That big 3 might be better now but that's going to be tough filling out the rest of that team on the quick since they'd have to shed almost every other piece on their team to make it work I think.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Does it have to do with sign and trade restrictions for apron teams?
There don't appear to be any rules regarding teams over the apron sending players in a sign-and-trade. Teams who acquire a player in a sign-and-trade are hard-capped at the first apron. The relevant language from the CBA is as follows:

Team acquires a player pursuant to a Contract entered into in accordance with Section 8(e)(1) below
Section 8(e)(1) is the section dealing with sign-and-trades; it does not include any restrictions based on the apron. (Furthermore, the Clippers do have a path to not go over the first apron anyway by letting Harden walk, perhaps that's unlikely but in principle it could happen.)

Now, the Warriors specifically would have a difficult time doing a sign-and-trade for George, because once they did they would be hardcapped and unable to go over the first apron, and they're right at the first apron as it is. The Kings actually have some breathing room, so I don't see why they couldn't find a way, except for the fact that the Clippers would probably (probably?) rather let George walk than take back a Huerter/Barnes package.

Shams says nope.
Three teams? Who is the third idiot, us?
I doubt it. If the Warriors wouldn't even sign him for MLE money that would be interesting. That would really show they think he's done for, haha. I personally don't think he is totally done, but 20-25+ million a year is an overpay unless he's your final piece. Probably the Sixers. The Sixers have space to pull that off and add more. Does that really convince Embiid to not bail though? The Magic still should be shooting for younger players but they've been linked.

I doubt it. If the Warriors wouldn't even sign him for MLE money that would be interesting. That would really show they think he's done for, haha. I personally don't think he is totally done, but 20-25+ million a year is an overpay unless he's your final piece. Probably the Sixers. The Sixers have space to pull that off and add more. Does that really convince Embiid to not bail though? The Magic still should be shooting for younger players but they've been linked.
Sixers are going after PG13.
Dallas, Denver and who?
Internet seems to think Fakers.