[NBA] 2024 Free Agency mega-thread

Is it possible the team is the problem and not the player?

Not sure what to make of it but hopefully screws NOP up and we can at least split with them next season.
Possibly, but I don't think so. Dude has a huge sample now of being highly overrated, especially on defense and is living off his rep from SAS.

I'm more afraid of Daniels becoming a super lockdown than I am Murray. The fact that NOP traded draft capital AND hard capped themselves is beautiful.

Drafting a guard likely took us out of the running here from a roster balancing point of view but man... he's going to be great in New Orleans. Total steal for them. He's just as good as Mikal Bridges I think but I suppose that Villanova Voltron factor is worth the extra 3 FRP's?
Oh wow.
We agree a lot, but I'm on the full other side here. Horrid trade for NOP and now they have 0 chance of keeping Naji. All of a sudden their wing depth is gonezo

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Oh wow.
We agree a lot, but I'm on the full other side here. Horrid trade for NOP and now they have 0 chance of keeping Naji. All of a sudden their wing depth is gonezo
Not for nothing but their big man depth chart is also now down to Robinson-Earle, EJ Liddell and a rookie.
One of the big things about their matching up with the Kings was Jonas and Nance being able to match Domas’s physicality.

Not for nothing but their big man depth chart is also now down to Robinson-Earle, EJ Liddell and a rookie.
One of the big things about their matching up with the Kings was Jonas and Nance being able to match Domas’s physicality.
I would have never admitted he was right while he was here, but kb02 was very right on Daniels. He's going to be an absolute stud and competing for all defensive teams.

And this all but takes any shot for them to retain Naji too.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I would have never admitted he was right while he was here, but kb02 was very right on Daniels. He's going to be an absolute stud and competing for all defensive teams.

And this all but takes any shot for them to retain Naji too.
kb02 wasn't the only one who was high on Dyson Daniels' potential -- they were just the loudest about making sure everyone knew it. I liked Daniels as a mid-lotto pick, but not at #4. And not over Keegan.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Oh wow.
There's bound to be a few players we're of opposite minds about. :)

New Orleans is headed in a very different direction after their first round sweep and I think that's the right call for them. Valanciunas and CJ McCollum are both in their 30s and would need to be replaced eventually. Add in Brandon Ingram's injury history and mediocre fit with Zion, and this all points to a quick reset around the core group of Zion, Herb, and Trey Murphy and filling in the gaps around them.

With the additions of DeJounte Murray at the 1 and Yves Missi at the 5 they may have taken a small step back in the short-term and lost some good complimentary pieces in the shuffle but I like the potential of that 5-man lineup. It's a good balance of offense and defense with a lot of high level athletes and shooting. We shall see!

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
kb02 wasn't the only one who was high on Dyson Daniels' potential -- they were just the loudest about making sure everyone knew it. I liked Daniels as a mid-lotto pick, but not at #4. And not over Keegan.
Yeah it wasn’t the liking Dyson part that was the issue, it was the insisting he was going to be better than pretty much everyone else in the draft class part.

I also liked Daniels, but I always have increased interest in Australian players. Also appreciated how well his mom scrubbed up for the draft day activities.

Oduro is a terrific pickup for them. He's a little undersized but fits. Especially now.

so in the end the Raptors just traded for two second rounders and Davion on an expiring. Probably actually one of the better value salary dump deals we’ve seen over the last couple of days.
If Sasha was determined to go back to Europe, shouldn’t the Kings have been able to get him to agree to just walk away from his contract rather than paying to dump it?

Regarding Sasha again no idea what's going on and what is the truth, there is a war going on between Olympiakos and Panathinaikos (Nunn rejected Oly offer last year, landed in Pana and led them to Euroleague and domestic title, along with Oly's former captain) so Pana's owner "threatened" to offer big contract to Sasha just to stick it to O(n)ly fans. Anyway it's a whole saga and nobody knows what is really happening. Sasha made no statements and the whole thing started again from Italian media, from Italy it was also when the "Sasha is leaving the Kings" whole thing started as well, no idea how and why.

Now regarding Duarte, he is one of the few players that have been with his NT from early preparation period despite his future being uncertain. Dominican Republic had big ambitions following a decent WC last year but KAT didn't make the trip nor Horford nor Quinones so Duarte is the top player and has been the leading scorer for his country in almost all friendlies having more than 20 points per match. His country though it's highly unlikely to qualify for the Olympic tournament being in the same group with Greece (and Egypt) and having to play in the semis (that they will most likely qualify beating Egypt) and the final later with Slovenia or Croatia that seem quite stronger. Doncic will be there btw. Duarte wasn't in the WC last year (Kings didn't let him?) but this time he seems commited to the cause.

so in the end the Raptors just traded for two second rounders and Davion on an expiring. Probably actually one of the better value salary dump deals we’ve seen over the last couple of days.
not surprising in the least. It's a complete culture shock transitioning to US lifestyle vs Euro and on top of getting sporadic playing time and DNPS, this was the way to go for Vezenkov