my piece on peja

He knows your watching him.

He knows that now more than ever, you are expecting him to step up.

With Webber gone he has both the biggest (personal) and smallest (team-wise) expectations of his career. But keep in mind that we are talking about the best shooter in the NBA. This is a guy who is 6-10 but plays like a two-guard. Petrie took a chance on him in the draft, back when the only Euro-NBA players were 7-feet of taller. He's paid major dividends since then.

And now the kings are not supposed to make any noise without Webber. How quick we forget that they had the league's best record throughout the last season with Peja as the first option, and Webber on the bench. Look around you, Seattle is being led by a superstar shooter that is almost as good as Peja. And the Kings certainly have a better supporting cast. Anyone in the NBA would take Bibby and Miller over Lewis and Ridnour. The Mavs seem to be the trendy Western Conference pick. And Dirk is a great player, but Dirk and Peja essentially do the same things. And while Dirk is definitely an all-star, Peja is the best at what they do in the world.

You say he doesn't play defense, but apparently you didn't watch him in the playoffs against Dallas last season. The Maves apparantly thought the same thing as they tried to pick on him with game winning shots, but Peja found a way to stop them every time.

But that was before The Trade. Mr. Stoyakovic has always been a number one option by default. When Webber goes down, the offense runs through him. But when Webber returns, its back to deferring to Chris. Chris, for his part, knew what Peja was capable of. Thats why C-Webb got on his case when Peja wasn't putting up the same numbers in the playoffs. Chris thought this great shooter should put up at least the same numbers as him.

But now the offense revolves around Peja. Surely you've noticed that the team has improved itself since last winter, when Peja was really shining. Peja knows that he is now Sacramento's number one option. He also knows that the town is now used to winning. Geoff Petrie realized that the team was only going to go so far under Webber. With Peja, they might've be the best team in the league last season. Sure it would have been nice to keep C-Webb, with everything he has done for the team and the city. He rejuvenated basketball in a city that has never been successful. But there's now way Chris would have deferred to Peja. And Peja probably wouldn't have let Chris. But now its' his team.

And what Petrie realized, what the rest of us have to realize....is if the Kings are ever going to win a championship, it'll be Peja, not Chris, taking us there.

thashyt said:
And what Petrie realized, what the rest of us have to realize....is if the Kings are ever going to win a championship, it'll be Peja, not Chris, taking us there.
Well, it certainly won't be Chris.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The offense hasn't revolved around Peja because he hasn't stepped on the court since Webber has been gone.

Great post!

I am not calling this year a wash....things will get very interesting once the playoffs start. All these guys have been there before...they know what has to be done.

the majority of the people on this site think the season is over....if you ask me it's just getting to started.

Go Kings!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Er...a very nice piece, however one step at a time:

1) Peja last year played on the best passing team in the league with multiple great passers looking almost exclusively for him every time down the floor. Those passers are gone. It will be very interesting to see if Peja gets the same sorts of looks this year. He may never again have passers at the level of Vlade and Doug setting him up, and one on one play is not his strength.

2) first things first -- before anything else Peja has to go out this playoff season and not fall flat on his face. I'll settle for that before we start cutting up any ticker tape. Just don't fall on your face. Oh, and it doesn't count if its the Mavs. We already know from 2 years ago that Peja as a primary option in a playoff series agains the Mavs can be fine. Not great. Not HOF. But fine. So no defense = Peja can be good enough. But what Peja has to prove is that he is actually talented enough to light up an in your face defensive stud such as Bruce Bowen when it matters. Guys who lead you to championships don't have foils who shut them down and make them look mediocre. In fact that very concept is anathema to the great payer. If somebody shuts you down every time you meet them, then quite simply you AREN'T Great (big G).

3) It would not surprise me at all if Mike Bibby in fact turned out to be the guy to lead us somewhere if we one day do make it. He actually has less to prove than Peja as a potential championship player -- he has the look of a championship PG. We already know he has the cahones, and his playoff history is exactly the opposite of Peja's. I am not at all sure whether he can sustain his past month's explosion, but if he can then he moves way up the list of premiere players, and becomes one who gets it done when it matters too.

Last edited:
Gtronic said:
Great post!

I am not calling this year a wash....things will get very interesting once the playoffs start. All these guys have been there before...they know what has to be done.

Go Kings!
wow. that's awesome!! i didn't know mobley, skinner, thomas, and williamson had the experience of being in a conference finals game 7.;) i guess williamson has last year with detroit. but what about the other guys???

Bricklayer said:
Er...a very nice piece, however one step at a time:

1) Peja last year played on the best passing team in the league with multiple great passers looking almost exclusively for him every time down the floor. Those passers are gone. It will be very interesting to see if Peja gets the same sorts of looks this year. He may never again have passers at the level of Vlade and Doug setting him up, and one on one play is not his strength.

2) first things first -- before anything else Peja has to go out this playoff season and not fall flat on his face. I'll settle for that before we start cutting up any ticker tape. Just don't fall on your face. Oh, and it doesn't count if its the Mavs. We already know from 2 years ago that Peja as a primary option in a playoff series agains the Mavs can be fine. Not great. Not HOF. But fine. So no defense = Peja can be good enough. But what Peja has to prove is that he is actually talented enough to light up an in your face defensive stud such as Bruce Bowen when it matters. Guys who lead you to championships don't have foils who shut them down and make them look mediocre. In fact that very concept is anathema to the great payer. If somebody shuts you down every time you meet them, then quite simply you AREN'T Great (big G).

3) It would not surprise me at all if Mike Bibby in fact turned out to be the guy to lead us somewhere if we one day do make it. He actually has less to prove than Peja as a potential championship player -- he has the look of a championship PG. We already know he has the cahones, and his playoff history is exactly the opposite of Peja's. I am not at all sure whether he can sustain his past month's explosion, but if he can then he moves way up the list of premiere players, and becomes one who gets it done when it matters too.
These are interesting observations but lets take a closer look at Bibby's and Pedja's playoff performance.

We all know what Bibby did a number of years ago in that Lakers series and no one can ever take that away from him. And we all know how he started out last years playoffs as well. But when Minnesota put Latrell on him instead of shadow defender Cassell he looked like he was off his game and did not perform that well the rest of the series. Pedja has had his fare share of big playoff performances (lighting up Marion to clinch Kings entry into the second round) (Dallas Game of 39 and lit up Kirilenko a number of times). Of course we all know Pedja's shortcomings as well last year against the Wolves and the tough defense of Trenton Hassell. Before we pigeon whole Pedja as being a bad playoff performer and Bibby as great, we need to look at the matchups and competition to get a better understanding of how each player is actually performing.

KP

Starter
thashyt said:
He knows your watching him.

He knows that now more than ever, you are expecting him to step up.

With Webber gone he has both the biggest (personal) and smallest (team-wise) expectations of his career. But keep in mind that we are talking about the best shooter in the NBA. This is a guy who is 6-10 but plays like a two-guard. Petrie took a chance on him in the draft, back when the only Euro-NBA players were 7-feet of taller. He's paid major dividends since then.

And now the kings are not supposed to make any noise without Webber. How quick we forget that they had the league's best record throughout the last season with Peja as the first option, and Webber on the bench. Look around you, Seattle is being led by a superstar shooter that is almost as good as Peja. And the Kings certainly have a better supporting cast. Anyone in the NBA would take Bibby and Miller over Lewis and Ridnour. The Mavs seem to be the trendy Western Conference pick. And Dirk is a great player, but Dirk and Peja essentially do the same things. And while Dirk is definitely an all-star, Peja is the best at what they do in the world.

You say he doesn't play defense, but apparently you didn't watch him in the playoffs against Dallas last season. The Maves apparantly thought the same thing as they tried to pick on him with game winning shots, but Peja found a way to stop them every time.

But that was before The Trade. Mr. Stoyakovic has always been a number one option by default. When Webber goes down, the offense runs through him. But when Webber returns, its back to deferring to Chris. Chris, for his part, knew what Peja was capable of. Thats why C-Webb got on his case when Peja wasn't putting up the same numbers in the playoffs. Chris thought this great shooter should put up at least the same numbers as him.

But now the offense revolves around Peja. Surely you've noticed that the team has improved itself since last winter, when Peja was really shining. Peja knows that he is now Sacramento's number one option. He also knows that the town is now used to winning. Geoff Petrie realized that the team was only going to go so far under Webber. With Peja, they might've be the best team in the league last season. Sure it would have been nice to keep C-Webb, with everything he has done for the team and the city. He rejuvenated basketball in a city that has never been successful. But there's now way Chris would have deferred to Peja. And Peja probably wouldn't have let Chris. But now its' his team.

I hope and pray that you are right. I agree that I often wonder when people say Peja has "never" stepped up in the playoffs, I know when C-Webb went down he dropped 39 in a game and there has been other games too where his defense, key steals, and even dare I say it... his rebounding have been big for us, but I think the fact is he has let himself be shut down completely and thats lead to inconsistancy where sometimes he hardly even scores. In the playoffs as the #2 guy that is unnaceptable, Now that he's going to be the #1 guy it's not even an option. He has to step up or he will take all the heat and deservedly so.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
KKSloga said:
These are interesting observations but lets take a closer look at Bibby's and Pedja's playoff performance.

We all know what Bibby did a number of years ago in that Lakers series and no one can ever take that away from him. And we all know how he started out last years playoffs as well. But when Minnesota put Latrell on him instead of shadow defender Cassell he looked like he was off his game and did not perform that well the rest of the series. Pedja has had his fare share of big playoff performances (lighting up Marion to clinch Kings entry into the second round) (Dallas Game of 39 and lit up Kirilenko a number of times). Of course we all know Pedja's shortcomings as well last year against the Wolves and the tough defense of Trenton Hassell. Before we pigeon whole Pedja as being a bad playoff performer and Bibby as great, we need to look at the matchups and competition to get a better understanding of how each player is actually performing.
Oh, I think there ae real doubts about Mike's ability to carry a team in the playoffs too. In fact if you made me place a bet, I would bet that NOBODY on the Kings has the talent and clutchness combo to be the man when it matters. But for my money Mike has proven a lot more (or at least what Peja has proven is stuff he wishes he had not) -- Mike's the sort of clutch player you need on your team in the playoffs, but just may not be the sort of all world talent that can actually singlehandedly carry a team. We will see -- his play in the last month has been eye-opening.

Bricklayer said:
Not to mention that Mobley is a 3-point threat and will actually take away shots that would normally be exclusive to Peja.

Mobley's 3 point % is higher than Peja's this year, good for 7th in the league. 43.6% to 38%. This year Mobley is sadly the better shooter from the perimeter.

KP said:
I hope and pray that you are right. I agree that I often wonder when people say Peja has "never" stepped up in the playoffs, I know when C-Webb went down he dropped 39 in a game and there has been other games too where his defense, key steals, and even dare I say it... his rebounding have been big for us, but I think the fact is he has let himself be shut down completely and thats lead to inconsistancy where sometimes he hardly even scores. In the playoffs as the #2 guy that is unnaceptable, Now that he's going to be the #1 guy it's not even an option. He has to step up or he will take all the heat and deservedly so.
^What KP said.

I'm hoping and praying too. I really believe Pedja can step up. I'm just worry that with all these pressure, he may not handle it well. He handle it well last season cause I think there wasn't any pressure...everyone was expecting Webb to be back so all the players just go out there and try hard to win each game. Now that Webb will never be back...all the pressure is on Pedja it seem.

Come on, Pedja. I know you can do this...I'm one of your biggest supporter on this so let's make this happen. GO KINGS!

bigbadred00 said:
Mobley's 3 point % is higher than Peja's this year, good for 7th in the league. 43.6% to 38%. This year Mobley is sadly the better shooter from the perimeter.
That's true, Cat is having a better shooting year than Pedja. But who you prefer NOT to leave open at the 3 point line?? Cat or Pedja??

I think a lot would choose Pedja.

Well in years previous definitely Peja, but not the Peja that likes to fade away like he always does this year taking bad shots. I want the Peja that was the best guy off the ball last year by a mile. I doubt will have that guy thought without Vlade passing it to him or Christie looking for him. That's what I'll miss, the great passers. Maybe, maybe, maybe Mobley and Thomas can fill the void slightly, but probally only slightly.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
KP said:
word.

To break down the roster right now, the team looks like its in pretty good shape, they just need some time to adjust.

I believe Cat is maybe the second ballsiest player on the roster (next to Mike). One thing that the Cat/DC trade showed me is that we as the general public seem to have underrated how good he is and overrated Stevie Franchise. I mean this guy could be an all-star soon. But i expect him to be the team's third option. He's shooting well from three-point range, but he's not an incredible passer. And he's used to being the third option. He was the third option in Orlando behind Francis and Grant Hill. Before that he was the third option in Houston behind Francis and Yao Ming. And before Yao got there it was Stevie first, Stevie second, and whatevers left over for Cat.

Mike is, when not tired, the best offensive point guard in the game. He is a defensive liability at times because of his size, but i would take him over pg in the league not named jason Kidd. I would even take him over Nash. He's a solid second option. And the addition of Cat means he has another guy to take the fourth quarter load off of his hands. The NBA seems to have close games drown into a battle of scoring guards in the fourth quarter in the playoffs. Where Doug Christie was, at times, an offensive liability, no one will ever say Cat doesn't shoot enough. Because of this the double teams that Mike saw in the playoffs last season shouldn't be as much of a factor. There are three wing guys who defenses have to respect at all times now.

Peja is now the number one option. As i am writing this he's having a pretty good game in Orlando on his return, just seeing the statline at ESPN News. One thing i think that is overlooked in discussing last year's playoff problems in Minnesota is that he was the number 2 option. They say that he didn't contribute well, but he really didn't play well at all as the number 2 option, playoffs or not. Ever since that extended stretch with Webb hurt to begin last season, Peja has played horribly as a number 2 option. Whereas when he was the teams first option, he was a legit MVP candidate. I think even TNT analysts had him fourth behind KG, Duncan, & J-O. Its as if once he got a taste of being "THE GUY" he didn't wanna settle for anything less. I really hope that's the case, because thats part of that killer instinct, something that all the greats have. Its that instinct that Webber could never develop. He has no problem deferring to Iverson in Philly. Or he made it sound as if he doesnt. He always seemed to be searching for someone to defer to in Sac. But Adelman insisted on running the offense through him, which meant less touches for Peja, their most talented offensive player.

Last season Peja was the best SF in the league, bar none. This season, most people would have him behind Lebron James, Dirk, & Shawn Marion (Tracey, Kobe, and Vince are TWO-GUARDS PEOPLE!). I don't think Peja could ever receive the kind of love that Lebron gets, he seems to have joined KG, Shaq, and Duncan as NBA untouchables. But it is not out of question for Peja to regularly be the second best "3" in the NBA.

Brad Miller was almost an all-star this season by default. I think Kings fans tend to overrate him because he brought something to this team that, at the time, we severely lacked. He might be the third or fourth best center in the NBA. But in actuallity, the NBA only has 5 true starting centers (Shaq, Yao, Brad, Big Z, & Erick Dampier). He IS a good player. He IS NOT an all-star caliber-player. He's no better than the fifth best offensive guy on the team (Bibby, Peja, Cat, and Bobby when healthy are more dangerous). But he's a great hustle guy. Although what bothers me about him is that he seems at times really gritty and dirty and at others really laid-back and subserviant.

I like Kenny Thomas. He works hard and gets a lot of hustle plays. Although Kenny is undersized, and while his great effort helps him against teams like the Sixers and Bobcats, it'll be interesting to see how he fares against the Wallaces, Duncans, O'Neals, and Garnetts of the world.

Darius Songalia is a lot like brad. he gets plenty of cheap elbows in and can step out and nail the 12 footer. He's developed into a really good player for the system.

I really like what i've seen of Skinner. He seems like the solid center the Bucks had a year ago, as opposed to the 12th man the Sixers had this year. He isn't much of a scoring threat, but he blocks shots like a mad-man, hustles, provides a definitive defensive post presence, and grabs rebounds. He seems to be the perfect power center to relieve the finesse-Miller for 10-15 minutes a game.

When BJ gets back, he is the sixth man. Its great that he decided he wants to stay here. But that comment he made about last year's finals still rings in my head. Here is sixth man on the team that brought back explosive offensive-centered teams, saying that a great defense ALWAYS beats a great offense. He also tends to be really ballsy, and defends really well on-the-ball. Probably our second best defending swingman. Im just concerned about what kind of health he'll be in when he does return.

From what ive seen of Mo Evans, i really like what he brings too. He seems to be everything Gerald was supposed to be. Living in the Bay Area i catch a lot of Warriors games. he reminds me a lot of Mickael Pietrus of the Warriors. Great slasher, great defender when he wants to be, no jumpshot whatsoever.

thashyt said:
Seattle is being led by a superstar shooter that is almost as good as Peja. And the Kings certainly have a better supporting cast. Anyone in the NBA would take Bibby and Miller over Lewis and Ridnour.
Ray Allen is better than Peja
Rashard Lewis is better than Brad Miller

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Well to be fair to Pedaj he palys more of a measured game than the emotional American style. What I mean by that is we Americans see and think of "stepping up" almost strictly in terms of shooting, espcialy cluthc shots. Last year when his shot was not as reliable in the psot season Pedja did step up with defense that supprised many of us here on the board. Another way of "stepping up" might bee seen in deceptive moves and increased cutting to get shots under presure. Just a thought.

bigbadred00 said:
Why is that a sad thing?

Originally Posted by thashyt

Well...it'll be Peja if he signs an extension after next year...otherwise he'll be taking someone else to the Finals.

HndsmCelt said:
Well to be fair to Pedaj he palys more of a measured game than the emotional American style. What I mean by that is we Americans see and think of "stepping up" almost strictly in terms of shooting, espcialy cluthc shots. Last year when his shot was not as reliable in the psot season Pedja did step up with defense that supprised many of us here on the board. Another way of "stepping up" might bee seen in deceptive moves and increased cutting to get shots under presure. Just a thought.
Well said.

There are many ways of stepping up but people only look at how many points he scores and don't bother looking at his whole game.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Čarolija said:
Well said.

There are many ways of stepping up but people only look at how many points he scores and don't bother looking at his whole game.
Maybe SOME people but around here, for the most part, we HAVE been discussing Peja's whole game for a long time.

KKSloga said:

maybe he didnt drop 36 points after game 1,
but without bibby's assists and ability to create their offense, the kings wouldve been out in 4