Movie draft - Shelter in place version interest

What would be your preference?

• Movies based on genre

• Movies based on book/historial event

• Movies starting with certain letters of the alphabet (plus one numeric pick)

Results are only viewable after voting.
So it’s official, no school until August...

jespher, Foxfire, and I missed out on the album draft by a few days and they are already on round 10. Wow! It’s almost like everyone has a lot of time all of the sudden ;).

Would there be any interest in a movie draft as well? I would like to run it with my dad’s help.

Some ideas I had were:

1) an alphabetical movie draft, 26 rounds (1 per letter)
2) a genre draft, 1-2 movies per genre blockbuster style (family, drama, comedy, horror, mystery/suspense, short, international/foreign language, action, independent, western, animation, musical, documentary etc.) there is some overlap here...
3) a book to movie draft (you get the book and the movie made from the book for your island/shelter in place home)

Please let me know if there is interest in this thread.

I'm in. I'd be down for a unique approach to the draft, as well. The book-to-movie idea is interesting, although it might be too limiting. Perhaps adapted screenplay. That opens up more possibilities.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I'm in. I'd be down for a unique approach to the draft, as well. The book-to-movie idea is interesting, although it might be too limiting. Perhaps adapted screenplay. That opens up more possibilities.
I suggested opening this one up to historical events as well for just that reason - there are likely lots of movies based on true stories that may not have a specific "book" to draw from. Just a thought. I know it is a bit of an odd pairing, but that would be a way to open it up a bit more while still having "reference material".

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
MOD NOTE: I've added a poll. The choices are:
1. You would have to pick movies from each of several genres
2. You would have to pick movies based on books/historical events

3. You would have to pick movies whose titles start with different letters of the alphabet (plus one movie with a numeric title-or first "word" is a number.

MOD NOTE: I've added a poll. The choices are:
1. You would have to pick movies from each of several genres
2. You would have to pick movies based on books/historical events

3. You would have to pick movies whose titles start with different letters of the alphabet (plus one movie with a numeric title-or first "word" is a number.
Participated in the poll. My vote is for #2, as long as "books" can also mean stage plays, short stories, etc. in addition to novels.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I might be interested in joining another movie draft, depending on the direction this goes. I've just been assigned some extra work so I'm actually busier than ever despite now working from home. The prospect of making 26 selections seems a little daunting but I like the book/play/historical event related movie idea.

I might be interested in joining another movie draft, depending on the direction this goes. I've just been assigned some extra work so I'm actually busier than ever despite now working from home. The prospect of making 26 selections seems a little daunting but I like the book/play/historical event related movie idea.
Hi hrdboid,

Warhawk and VF21 suggested the alphabet draft could be 20 total rounds, pick your favorite 20 letters with an option for movie titles beginning with numbers as well. You could draft the letters in any order, just no repeat letters/number picks.

It looks like there is interest for this draft. I’m excited to get going, but we will wait for the music draft to finish first.

Last edited:
IMDB.com is an invaluable resource and can help judge official movie titles and genres. We linked each pick in previous movie drafts to their IMDB page. They list the categories/genre each movie falls under as well. They give writer credit, including novels...they do put series together, like Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, so that may be too limiting to series.

Is I an article, like I Am Legend?

Last edited:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
IMDB.com is an invaluable resource and can help judge official movie titles and genres. We linked each pick in previous movie drafts to their IMDB page. They list the categories/genre each movie falls under as well. They give writer credit, including novels...they do put series together, like Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, so that may be too limiting to series.

Is I an article, like I Am Legend?
I would say that the "I" is the first word of the title. Words like "a", "the", "an", etc., would not be. When in doubt for something like this, I always think back to whether I think a word would be capitalized in the middle of a song title, or similar.

https://grammar.yourdictionary.com/capitalization/capitalization-of-songs.html

Song titles work similarly to other titles when it comes to punctuation; although, song titles can have some special rules as well.
  1. The first word and last word in the song's title should be capitalized.
  2. All other nouns and active verbs should be capitalized.
  3. Conjunctions (e.g., and, but, or), short prepositions (e.g., in, out, by, for, from) and articles (e.g., a, an, the) are not capitalized unless they belong to the first rule of being the first or last word in the title.
  4. For prepositions, words that are four or fewer letters should not be capitalized. Words that are five or more letters should be capitalized, such as "across," "among" or "beyond."
  5. Some other short words should always be capitalized, such as also, be, if, than, that, thus and when.
  6. Phrasal verbs also need to be capitalized. Phrasal verbs combine verbs and prepositions or adverbs into an idiomatic expression whose meaning differs from that of the actual definitions of the individual words used.
In the above, I think item 3 applies best for our purposes. However, I would stick with the "articles" as being the ones not counted at the beginning of a title. I think the conjunctions and short prepositions should count as part of the title, as they are not just a leading article. Just my $0.02.

I would say that the "I" is the first word of the title. Words like "a", "the", "an", etc., would not be. When in doubt for something like this, I always think back to whether I think a word would be capitalized in the middle of a song title, or similar.

I would stick with the "articles" as being the ones not counted at the beginning of a title. I think the conjunctions and short prepositions should count as part of the title, as they are not just a leading article. Just my $0.02.
Well said, I agree.

I personally think the Alphabet idea is a little more complete / interesting if each drafter has to do the full alphabet. There are enough films for every letter to go around.

With the exception of X. That’s slightly more challenging, but could be mitigated with a special rule that as long as X is used in the title it counts.

My question is what would be the rule on films that have different international titles. For example, one of my favorite movie’s country of origin title starts with an S, but its American title (a completely different word and not translation) starts with a G.

Am I confined to only its original title, or could I use either one?

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I personally think the Alphabet idea is a little more complete / interesting if each drafter has to do the full alphabet. There are enough films for every letter to go around.

With the exception of X. That’s slightly more challenging, but could be mitigated with a special rule that as long as X is used in the title it counts.
I gather that the draft is intended to be 20 rounds long, which would give people a bit of flexibility in terms of not having to dig deep for things like "X".

My question is what would be the rule on films that have different international titles. For example, one of my favorite movie’s country of origin title starts with an S, but it’s American title (a completely different word and not translation) starts with a G.

A question that I had also considered. My suggestion would be that we rely on the "large font" IMDB title on the film's page. It would just take the arbiter out of it.

A few other points: There was a quick discussion of not counting the articles "a"/"an"/"the" as is done in typical alphabetization. I agree, but would note that there are cases where the IMDB title of a foreign film is not in English, and begins with a foreign article. Not sure what to do with that. Furthermore, what about a film whose title IS in English, but begins with a foreign article as, say, part of a city name? In this case common alphabetization definitely goes by the article. Just some things to keep in mind.

Also, as noted above, the IMDB title of films in a franchise may actually begin with the franchise name. I'm kind of OK with going by the first word of the IMDB title here, because it would prevent people from trying to, say, collect an entire series of films.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member

I'd argue this. Offhand, I know of a grand total of 1 movie with a title that starts with Q. I can think of MAYBE 5 that start with Z. Other than two popular recent series (not even saying necessarily good, just popular), X is also a wasteland. U and V I can maybe think of 5-10 movies max each and wouldn't want many of them. But, that's just me.

So are there movies with those letters starting the movie names? Yes. But many/most participants would more than likely either be picking some kind of crappy movie just for the letter or would have to scroll through a list online for a movie they've never seen just to fulfill that letter requirement.

Which, hey, we can do that I guess.

Last edited:
My question is what would be the rule on films that have different international titles. For example, one of my favorite movie’s country of origin title starts with an S, but it’s American title (a completely different word and not translation) starts with a G.

You could choose either version, your choice for strategy. If a movie is picked, the other version would be off limits.

I might be interested if done with #2 as long as it could be a based on history or such as a person, place or event. But like albums a subject could have several movies based on the subject both historical and fictional history.

So it looks like the alphabet movie draft is the popular choice. I'll get a rules and a sign-up thread started, and posted tonight.

Last edited: