Monarchs game tonight on NBA-TV

REMINDER: Tonight's Monarchs game against the Seattle Storm will be on NBA-TV tonight. It will also be shown on Fox Sports Net/Northwest Region, for the Seattle residents. But it will NOT be shown here locally in Sacramento, either FSN/Bay Area or Comcast.

The game begins tonight at 7:00 p.m.

Of course, you can always hear the game on KHTK, 1140 on the AM dial!

Finally, the last regular-season game (against the Minnesota Lynx) this coming Saturday will not be shown on TV either, unless you live in the Minnesota area. Then, you'll get it at Fox Sports Net/North and Fox Sports Net/Minnesota.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Thanks, Steven.

Okay, here's the deal....who has NBATV and will be watching the game (in the Sacramento area) and has room for company...namely me? I will bring the beer, or soda, or snacks....your choice. :D

Also, anyone have the sportspack with DishNetwork or DirectTV and will get the Fox station in Minnesota on Saturday? Same offer applies.

I just realized that the pleasure of my company should suffice. Why am I offering to bring the beer? :p

RoyalDiva asked:
I'm sure one of the local sports bars will air it. Or do the sports bars here in Sacto only air Kings games?

Based on my experience with some of the local sports bars...

Getting a Monarchs game in a sports bar is sometimes difficult, especially if the bar uses satellite only.

The reason: some --- perhaps most --- sports bars do NOT use Comcast Cable. Instead, they use DirectTV satellite. And when they do, they use a special package that covers only for Kings games during the NBA season. They might show a Monarchs game, but only if the Kings season was still ongoing. With the NBA season over, their package ended. :(

EXAMPLE:
On August 12th, I went to a place in Citrus Heights called the Barbacoa Breeze (on Sunrise Blvd. near Greenback Lane). The place used to be called McGee's Sports Bar & Grill last year before they did a remodeling and makeover of the place.

Anyway, I went there in the hopes that I would watch the Monarchs-Phoenix Mercury game. I asked one of the staffers if they could switch one of their large screens to the Monarchs game. One of the bartenders gave me this sarcastic smirk and said, "What? A guy requesting a WNBA game?" He did nothing to notify the manager about my request.

So, I went directly to one of their managers. They said they couldn't get the Monarchs game because it was on Comcast Cable, and they get DirectTV. They also said that they had a Comcast package but only for the Kings games, but with the Kings season ended when they were bounced out of the playoffs, they stopped showing it. Not suprisingly, they have no interest in extending their package to include Monarchs games exclusively.

The only way you can watch a Monachs game at the Barbacoa Breeze is if that game happens to be either on ESPN, ESPN-2, or the ABC-TV network. I'm not sure if they get NBA-TV, though.

Of course, as it turned out, the Monarchs lost that game, so I guess it's a good thing that I missed it. But still...

Anyway, I don't think I'll be going back to the Barbacoa Breeze again! :mad:

Another place that I go to is the Family Sports Grill in Elk Grove. They also have a DirectTV subscription, so getting a Monarchs game would also be difficult unless it happens to be ESPN, ESPN-2, Fox Sports Net, or ABC-TV network broadcast. But at least the staff seem to have a more cooperative attitude towards women's basketball!

StevenHW said:
RoyalDiva asked:

Based on my experience with some of the local sports bars...

Getting a Monarchs game in a sports bar is sometimes difficult, especially if the bar uses satellite only.

The reason: some --- perhaps most --- sports bars do NOT use Comcast Cable. Instead, they use DirectTV satellite. And when they do, they use a special package that covers only for Kings games during the NBA season. They might show a Monarchs game, but only if the Kings season was still ongoing. With the NBA season over, their package ended. :(

EXAMPLE:
On August 12th, I went to a place in Citrus Heights called the Barbacoa Breeze (on Sunrise Blvd. near Greenback Lane). The place used to be called McGee's Sports Bar & Grill last year before they did a remodeling and makeover of the place.

Anyway, I went there in the hopes that I would watch the Monarchs-Phoenix Mercury game. I asked one of the staffers if they could switch one of their large screens to the Monarchs game. One of the bartenders gave me this sarcastic smirk and said, "What? A guy requesting a WNBA game?" He did nothing to notify the manager about my request.

So, I went directly to one of their managers. They said they couldn't get the Monarchs game because it was on Comcast Cable, and they get DirectTV. They also said that they had a Comcast package but only for the Kings games, but with the Kings season ended when they were bounced out of the playoffs, they stopped showing it. Not suprisingly, they have no interest in extending their package to include Monarchs games exclusively.

The only way you can watch a Monachs game at the Barbacoa Breeze is if that game happens to be either on ESPN, ESPN-2, or the ABC-TV network. I'm not sure if they get NBA-TV, though.

Of course, as it turned out, the Monarchs lost that game, so I guess it's a good thing that I missed it. But still...

Anyway, I don't think I'll be going back to the Barbacoa Breeze again! :mad:

Another place that I go to is the Family Sports Grill in Elk Grove. They also have a DirectTV subscription, so getting a Monarchs game would also be difficult unless it happens to be ESPN, ESPN-2, Fox Sports Net, or ABC-TV network broadcast. But at least the staff seem to have a more cooperative attitude towards women's basketball!

Having been to that place when it was McGee's, I am not suprised at all about the customer service you received. That place was just real sleazy, rude, and overrun by over-testosteroned jerks. No way would I ever go there again, especially now if that's their attitude towards women's sports! I am sorry that few sports bars carry WNBA coverage, but I suppose they do have to go by supply and demand.

RoyalDiva, thanks for listening!

Anyway, as much as I like the idea of a group of us Monarchs fans cheering on our team in a public setting, it's hard to find a bar to let us do that. (Though I do remember some of us went to that Elk Grove bar last year in Game #3 of the Western Conference Finals in Seattle.)

For that reason, perhaps it would be better for a group of us to have a viewing party in someone's home, especially if they have NBA-TV and have big-screen TV. :D

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
To get this back on the topic of people getting together to watch the game tonight, I would if I was closer, 6th...

I've developed a real interest in Powell. I thin there's something very unique and special about her and I'm really glad she came to Sacramento.

If some of you DO get together, I certainly hope you'll take a few pictures to share with the rest of us!

Go MONARCHS!!!

I hate not having NBATV!!:mad:

I'll have to watch it on the internet, lame! The quality sucks sometimes.

I have only ever been to two places that I can remember ever seeing a Monarchs game on. Once was at the Oasis (on Madison in Citrus Heights), they were showing a Houston/LA game. It was Cooper's last game if I recall correctly. That was probably ESPN2 though. And another time I asked someone at Chilli's to turn on the game, and they did. Of course I have no idea what channel that game was on, it wasn't this season.

I wish there was a place to get together. It's much more fun to watch when you're in a group!

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
If no one can host us......:(

I will not give up, however. I have until 7 p.m. tonight.

Thanks, VF21! Hey does anyone want to make a looooong drive with me tonight. :p

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't get NBA-TV any longer. It was costing me an additional $5.99 a month and I just couldn't justify it, especially in TDOS. I am very disappointed that the Maloofs aren't pushing for it to be on Comcast Sports Net. I thought that was supposed to be one of the reasons for signing the deal - to cover the Kings, the Monarchs, etc.

It's truly a shame IMHO that the hottest team in the WNBA is being treated like second-class citizens by their home town channels. Shame on all of them.

Yeah, such is the life of WNBA fans :( I recall several years ago that we were able to gather to watch the two first round game 3's that were going to be aired on Oxygen. We met a restaurant/bar in Davis which had graciously upgraded their satellite/cable subscription that day to include the Oxygen Network so we could watch the games there. So I'd guess that if there is $$$ incentive for them to make the channel change or make the effort to accomodate fans they'll do it - because that restaurant CERTAINLY made more money than they spent getting that channel.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Monty'sBiggestFan said:
Yeah, such is the life of WNBA fans :( I recall several years ago that we were able to gather to watch the two first round game 3's that were going to be aired on Oxygen. We met a restaurant/bar in Davis which had graciously upgraded their satellite/cable subscription that day to include the Oxygen Network so we could watch the games there. So I'd guess that if there is $$$ incentive for them to make the channel change or make the effort to accomodate fans they'll do it - because that restaurant CERTAINLY made more money than they spent getting that channel.
There is a thought. I shall start making some calls. Players Sports Bar and Grill on Sunrise had great food.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
6th said:
There is a thought. I shall start making some calls. Players Sports Bar and Grill on Sunrise had great food.
I called Players at 4060 Sunrise Blvd and listened to their Sports line-up for today. They will be showing the Monarchs @ Storm at 7 p.m. today.

Who wants to join me there?????

6th said:
I called Players at 4060 Sunrise Blvd and listened to their Sports line-up for today. They will be showing the Monarchs @ Storm at 7 p.m. today.

Who wants to join me there?????
I am unable to as I have a WW meeting tonight, but I am glad to see that Players will do that! Just curious, how were they able to air the game? Are they willing to do it again in the future?

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I did not talk to anyone at Players. I only listened to the message that gave today's line-up (Sports they are carrying). They mentioned several baseball games and they specifically mentioned the Monarchs @ Storm game at 7.

p.s. I called pizza places and other Sports Bars. Players was the only one I have found (thus far) who are carrying the game. The fact that they are willing to carry the women is reason enough for me to support them.......not to mention the fact that we went there for a Kings game and the food is great too.

I guess I've been taking the Storm viewing parties (for away games) for granted after reading how difficult it is to find a local place in Sac to show the Monarch games. A group of fans have been organizing those for at least the past three seasons. Heck, they're even officially recognized by the Storm front office now (vs just being a fan generated event). Former Storm (and Monarch) player Adia Barnes was at the last one.

Perhaps that's something Monarch fans can get together for next season? Those of you that go to Player's tonight could ask them about hosting future viewing parties . . .just a thought.

:)

Players is pretty cool...while we were there for the Kings game gathering, they had left one of their other televisions on a huge women's college basketball matchup between Duke and North Carolina - so I was able to split my attention :)

I will be in the vicinity of Players @ around 8-8:30ish and would love to drop by if folks are heading there...do you think that it's a viable place to go? - they might switch a TV or two for this game.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
NWFan said:
I guess I've been taking the Storm viewing parties (for away games) for granted after reading how difficult it is to find a local place in Sac to show the Monarch games. A group of fans have been organizing those for at least the past three seasons. Heck, they're even officially recognized by the Storm front office now (vs just being a fan generated event). Former Storm (and Monarch) player Adia Barnes was at the last one.

Perhaps that's something Monarch fans can get together for next season? Those of you that go to Player's tonight could ask them about hosting future viewing parties . . .just a thought.

:)
And and excellent thought it is, NWFan.

Part of NWFan's post:
...Former Storm (and Monarch) player Adia Barnes was at the last one...

By the way, that reminds me: is Adia still playing basketball? Or did she retire from playing? If so, what is she doing these days?

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Okay, if anyone can get there (and sounds like MBF is willing to stop by later) then I will make the drive out (about 20 miles for me).

For those who do not know me.....I will wear one of my KingsFans.com T-shirts.

I might be able to make it out that way, it's not too far from my neck of the woods. I might still be in work attire though, which is not exactly Monarchs supportin' gear!

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
MamaBristow said:
I might be able to make it out that way, it's not too far from my neck of the woods. I might still be in work attire though, which is not exactly Monarchs supportin' gear!
Would you like me to bring you a Monarchs T-shirt to put on for the festivities?

I actually think I have my Monarchs warm up jersey still in my car, it'll just look funny with my brown and pink pinstripe pants! But I promise to sport it, even if I look like a dork!

Thank you though, I appreciate the support so that I'm not an "outsider" to the group!

MMMM, beer battered shrimp!!!!!!!! I will try to make it by! It's the first day off I've had in what seems like a long time, so I am lazy, but I WILL try:D